Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins to host former Saints outside linebacker Junior Galette for visit

FrFan

Deal is good and you never have enough passrushers...only I rather did not sign him. Preston and Trent need to develop. You dont develop when sitting on the bench.

So not like super happy but not pissed either.

My reaction was just the opposite. 

I think the fact that it's a one year deal says that we intend to use him as a fill in (and maybe as a mentor), while we develop our own. 

Same reaction I had to Knighton. 

(And, like with Knighton, I hope he can teach our OL a few things, too.  That wouldn't break my heart, either.) 

And he's cheap.  I mean, like "Vet min, and no incentives". 

----------

And I've got to say, I just love reading about the Redskins signing a new FA to a deal that's too cheap to pass up. 

As i always say when folks worry about a character issue guy..  i'm not inviting him over for dinner.

i don't care if he's nice.

I do care if he does his job, and if we can hit the QB with any degree of regularity, our entire defense will be light years better.

A smart signing and a smart deal.

Not sure if this is my team or not. The Redskins I'm used to would have given him a 75 million dollar contract at dinner.

~Bang

Except, if the character issues extend to the locker room, you've got a problem. I don't think the Saints were willing to cut bait and eat the cap hit just because of his off the field issues.  I get the impression he didn't endear himself to folks in the building.  You saw how he carpet bombed the team, including some teammates, on the way out.

Scot also said that he's willing to take risks on some guys who aren't choir boys if he felt there was good leadership in place on the team.  He must feel that way.

With all due respect to Scot, I would imagine he might be sensitive to second chances and taking a risk on a guy given his issues in the past, which cost him his last job in the NFL.  Snyder's basically taking a chance on him that he got himself together. 

I'm not sure why anyone being courted by multiple teams would sign a one year contract at the league minimum after his first visit, unless no one else was willing to offer a one-year deal (which would seem awfully strange).  Any ideas?

Perhaps somewhere where he thought he could immediately be a starter

I'm not sure why anyone being courted by multiple teams would sign a one year contract at the league minimum after his first visit, unless no one else was willing to offer a one-year deal (which would seem awfully strange).  Any ideas?

Well, obviously nobody offered him less than us, this year.  (Sorry.  Your avatar just made me point that out.) 

Maybe he thought things were a better fit, here.  Better chance of starting.  Maybe he thought he'd look good, opposite Kerrigan. 

(Maybe nobody else offered him anything higher.) 

It has to do with the time of the year. Most teams have spent their bank for this season. That means that any multi-year deal is going to be on the cheap since salaries can only go up by so much. If Galette believes in himself then it benefits him far more to take a one year "prove-it" deal and then try to cash in.

On the signing, I don't really like it, but I hope that he turns himself around. It's probably a good team signing, but I'm just not that excited about this guy being a Redskin.

Prove me wrong though, be a model citizen and a playmaker. I love being wrong.

Who has the best defense in the NFC East?    Skins

Who has the best weapons in the NFC East?  Skins

I agree about Gruden....I'm an RG3 guy......but what has Sam Bradford done besides get hurt every year?

Who has the worst QB in the NFC East?  Skins.

Better than Kerrigan- Brian Mitchell and Doc Walker

Yup! They said it.

I thought Scott mentioned that he only want's to bring in guys that are team players and will not embarrass the organization.. not quiet clear on this signing. Also, he will most likely not be available for the first 6 weeks anyway due to suspension.

He also said that he would look into bringing in a player, that has off the field issues.

I'm not sure why anyone being courted by multiple teams would sign a one year contract at the league minimum after his first visit, unless no one else was willing to offer a one-year deal (which would seem awfully strange). Any ideas?

It's simple. Any player that has issues off the field, will not get paid. So, a one year deal is a prove it deal. He wasn't getting paid and he knew that.

Have mixed feelings on the signing. Hope it turns out like the signing of D.Hall a few years ago. Many were skeptical when he was signed and he has turned into a all around great Redskin. I know these are different situations but am hoping for the best.

Zero guaranteed money.  If he screws up, we even get back the cap hit for the games he doesn't play. 

It's a pretty much can't lose deal, for the Redskins. 

(And, before somebody says it, I think it's a safe bet that our young OLBs will be seeing the field a whole lot.  Neither Kerrigan nor Galette will be playing every snap.) 

It has to do with the time of the year. Most teams have spent their bank for this season. That means that any multi-year deal is going to be on the cheap since salaries can only go up by so much. If Galette believes in himself then it benefits him far more to take a one year "prove-it" deal and then try to cash in.

On the signing, I don't really like it, but I hope that he turns himself around. It's probably a good team signing, but I'm just not that excited about this guy being a Redskin.

Prove me wrong though, be a model citizen and a playmaker. I love being wrong.

The vet minimum is only about $1M - in any case, since there were six team allegedly pursuing JG, they must have known that they would need to pay at least the minimum, right?

Zero guaranteed money.  If he screws up, we even get back the cap hit for the games he doesn't play. 

It's a pretty much can't lose deal, for the Redskins. 

(And, before somebody says it, I think it's a safe bet that our young OLBs will be seeing the field a whole lot.  Neither Kerrigan nor Galette will be playing every snap.) 

If he is on the roster for game 1, his salary is guaranteed for the year, I believe.  But, if its only $1M, that's a deal. Orakpo was making $1M per game last year.

Hes not as soft as Cardigan, but his coverage isnt as good.  Especially up around the shoulders...

The other good thing is I think Cardamom can be a great influence on Junior. Also after the big contract you know he's going to take on a bigger leadership role.

I don't think Murphy will be sitting on the bench at all.

I agree, Murphy is way too good on running downs, and Galette is poor on them.  I see Murphy starting on 1st and 2nd downs, and Galette pass rushing, with either Murphy or Smith moving to DE on 3rd downs.  On 1st and 2nd downs I dont see Smith seeing the field at all unless theres an injury or he surprises people in camp.  He gets a full year to sit on the bench, watch, and not have a ton of pressure put on him.

We now have a lot of pass rushing linebackers (Kerrigan, Smith, Murphy, and now Galette) to go with the revamped d-line. We aren't getting projects and hoping they overachieve, we're getting proven players and hoping they catch fire again in the right system or are in clearly motivational contract situations.

I like this SM guy.

Dumb question: 

I have the impression that I've been reading "Great pass rusher, but not so good against the run", a lot, lately. 

Am I just looking for something to worry about?

Yes. Our front 7 rotation looks damn fine right now.

Archived