Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Submitted ONES, 2015 Official PRE_SEASON/Camp Twitter Thread: The will to win on the field starts now. (NO RG3 POSTS!)

SWFLSkins

JFlow...sorry to hear you lost your Dad. You are a lucky man to have such a good friend and father. I envy you. Please remember all of the great things about him and share those memories with your children and grandchildren...then he will live forever in your family. I am really sorry for your loss and wish your family peace and unity in this very difficult time.

Just thought I'd drop by and let you guys know, my father passed away this morning. He was a Skins fan, but I think only because I was a Skins fan. He liked the Redskins, and chose the team because of their Native American symbolism, not in-spite of it, as he was 1/2 Cherokee and lived on and off the reservations. 

I'm sorry to hear that jflow. Sounded like a great dad. BTW you can write my obituary any day.

It is an interesting argument, although not one for this thread  but the other massive difference in the spots... and I really do not follow the MLB so I might be out with the numbers but the season is like 80 games or so - there is far more margin for error and come mid season there are no "free" spots in the roster on any teams get it wrong adn a marginal playoff team could be heading for a top 10 pick ... 

If rosters and seasons were bigger it would have more impact but i just dnt see mid season trades ever being significant in the nfl 

Well that's why I propose making the deadline less of a mid-season thing and more of a prelude to the playoffs thing. It is challenge, you're right.

The problem as I see it is that the NFL is a young players league. It's a game played by 22 to 26 year olds. Making it necessary that Orgs keep draft picks and replenish the ranks. And additionally it's a sport that gives players short shelf lives with injuries being mandatory. 

So, the value lies within 1st and 2nd round selections because those guys are your immediate starters year in year out. The impasse is that no one wants to give up those draft picks and no one wants to trade away a player without getting those draft picks in return. 

I don't know how to solve that. 

But I do know that if you have a team likely heading to the playoffs, who would select somewhere between 25 and 32 in each round they have a pick, yet they are missing a key piece to their roster ... likely due to injury, I'd imagine they would be more inclined to send away their 1st round selection to a team that offered a legit starter, straight-up, for their specific position of need. 

But it would have to coincide with close proximity to the playoffs.  

The other problem I see is the current trend organizations have taken in undervaluing current NFL players, even starters, during trades.  The value always seems low. Like guys being traded for 4th round selections or 6th round picks. 

The only way I can see to increase the value of player trades is to make the act of the trade more enticing by getting it closer to the playoffs. 

The trick for bottom feeders would be to sell a young player who is on his last year of a rookie deal, before he reaches his first open free agency period, and get a decent draft pick in return. Maybe find themselves with two 1st round selections, then try their best to re-sign their player on the open market. 

But, overall, the NFL is really tight with trades, especially involving draft picks. 

But it would have to coincide with close proximity to the playoffs.  

I think the real problem is that in the NFL you have TWO barriers to a trade being successful.

1: Is that player that you think is good enough to put you over the top actual so and

2: Is that player capable of learning and transitioning into your system, city, and environment immediately

In baseball, if you trade for a hot bat, or you trade for a clutch pitcher, you only have to worry about number 1. Is that guy really as good as you think he is? If he is, he helps the team. A hot bat is a hot bat in any uniform. A clutch arm is a clutch arm in any uniform (mostly, I realize I'm generalizing).

In basketball, if you trade for an aging but talented veteran to bring you leadership and spot minutes in the playoffs, he can make an impact. The only question is "does he have anything left". If a player is playing well, you can trade them to any team in the league and they should still play well for the most part. 

In the NFL, there are few reasons to make the trade. The new guy has to be better enough to make up for the fact that the incumbent knows the system. Maybe if you trade for a receiver like Randy Moss, who never did anything but go deep anyway, you an justify it. But I sure wouldn't trade for any defensive player late in the season. Every defense might as well be its own language. 

Just thought I'd drop by and let you guys know, my father passed away this morning. He was a Skins fan, but I think only because I was a Skins fan. He liked the Redskins, and chose the team because of their Native American symbolism, not in-spite of it, as he was 1/2 Cherokee and lived on and off the reservations. 

Anyway, he passed in his sleep, was active until the day he died, was a Skins fan, a pox on bullies, and when he was pissed HOLY **** I was happy he was on my side (except for when he was pissed at me, then I thought I was going to die).  :lol:

It's been quite a day, but we had a great relationship in the end and, as a doctor and a religious person, I don't believe, in any form, that life ends at death.

I am grateful for this Redskins family. I knew I'd be doing this someday, but you guys are more of a comfort than you know. Thanks for all the good times and all the **** we give each other.

So sorry for your loss brother. I hope you and your family are coping as well as possible and please remember there is no right or wrong way to morn........just what it takes for you to get through it.

Also keep in mind remembrance of him both good and bad will always reside in your heart and soul so although he's gone you can always find him from within.

I've been as close to death as possible twice in my life (about 9 years back, and last September/October.....beyond fortunate to survive) and both times there was a sense of peace that I experienced and has never been matched at any other point in my life (even at the best of times)..........I'm sure your father experienced that same peace in passing.

It's been quite a day, but we had a great relationship in the end and, as a doctor and a religious person, I don't believe, in any form, that life ends at death.

I am grateful for this Redskins family. I knew I'd be doing this someday, but you guys are more of a comfort than you know. Thanks for all the good times and all the **** we give each other.

I been there my brother, take heart in all the good that came with your relationship and that you had so long (I assume so if you're a doctor now.)

I extend that Skins family to this board and others that I've been active on.  It's remarkable how much you can gain from a cyber-presence.  This board and this fandom has been a boon to many a brother having hard times. No matter what our differences on QBs or politics, I hope if ever the news comes down that one of us is gone, we can put that aside and show love and respect.

My prayers for you and your family.

THIS is what I want to hear.  He has to make this step.  It's a little, VERY big thing.  My favorite tweet of the day.  I hope this continues when the real bullets fly.  HTTR

michael phillips @michaelpRTD

One thing RGIII is doing that is impressing me today: he's stepping into the pocket instead of fleeing it. Much more poised under pressure.

So Duke Ihblabla looks solid in practise. Why on earth didnt we activate him at the end of last year? He wasnt injured right?

Yeah he was waived by the Broncos at the end of August and he fractured his foot in week 3.  Seems like a great pick in retrospect given that he seems to be making his name known ON THE FIELD (and off on Instagram and Twitter), but we need to see him in a game first.  

I feel a bit bad for Jeron Johnson as when he signed he probably thought he was a lock (I'm finally getting my chance to start) for that safety spot coming to the Skins.......more and more that appears not to the case.  But, that said that's why you practice and let the best man win the starting spot.....we need more of that year in and out. 

I've said this before but I really really think this defense is going to be fun to watch.  I mean yeah safety is still some what of a concern but talk about improving a unit personnel wise (they still need to play well and be coached well) in such a short period of time, its a bit staggering when you think about it.........I think our odds are better to win the super bowel vs the odds of us upgrading our defensive talent as much as we did in one offseason.

Archived