Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Submitted ONES, 2015 Official PRE_SEASON/Camp Twitter Thread: The will to win on the field starts now. (NO RG3 POSTS!)

SWFLSkins

#SkinsCamp @Redskins 1m1 minute ago

Gruden on Scot McCloughan: "He takes input from everyone." Said SM has final call on moves, but "he understands what football is all about."

Diane Chesebrough @DiChesebrough 14s15 seconds ago

Gruden has high hopes for Matt Jones, can't say enough about how Alfred Morris comes to work every day and is having fun this year #Redskins

Chris Russell @Russellmania621 1m1 minute ago

Chris Russell retweeted Chuck Sapienza

Oh I agree & that's why I have defended/advocated for the move.

Chris Russell added,

Chuck Sapienza @chucksapienza
@Russellmania621 difference is if he IS bad guy they can easily cut him. Previously #Redskins would have extended him and tied their hands

I tell you 50 years ago when I was transitioning from vacuum tubes to transistors, I thought it can never get any better than this, little did I know I'd have a panic attack when my Laptop with more power than the whole computer room I worked in crashed,

I know...I was excited when I first saw a remote control...a push button phone...a cordless phone..seeing a microwave felt like something from buck rogers...

200.gif

Zac Boyer ‏@ZacBoyer 2m2 minutes ago Richmond, VA

Gruden said Arie Kouandjio is making a strong push at left guard. On the topic of rookies, if they outplay a veteran in camp, they play.

If this is true, then the projected line will be Williams, Kouandiji, Kory, Long, Scherff. Granted, there's a lot of Scherff to G and Moses to RT talk (which would be fine with me).

This would mean the OL would be bigger, stronger and younger than it has been in maybe 2 decades.  This is great news.  

My only issue is that starting 3 first time starters (which would be true in either scenario) could be a complete recipe for disaster early on.  Now, I might be willing to live with that, because it means they're getting reps and will mesh/get better together. And eventually it could be an awesome OL.  But even with Callahan, anybody who doesn't think there will be growing pains is kidding themselves.  

What you would have to weigh is whether the inexperience + better play/practice/athleticism will lead to a better product than the experienced player.  

It makes me somewhat nervous to change out 3 members of the OL at once.  Though, with what we've been seeing, maybe it couldn't be that much worse.  

Morris has "been excellent on blitz pickups, and he's catching balls out of the backfield. He's doing great. I love what Alfred's about".

If this is true, and with a better OL, and matched personnel (ie: one strength doesn't accentuate a weakness), Morris might be in line for team offensive player of the year.  

#SkinsCamp ‏@Redskins 1m1 minute ago

Gruden on Scot McCloughan: "He takes input from everyone." Said SM has final call on moves, but "he understands what football is all about."

What he really said "I sure as hell aint going to say anything bad about the guy who can tie an anchor around my neck and drop me out of a plane over a nice deep lake on the way back from an away game."

I'll remind that it was a few months ago, not that long after Scot got "settled in", that I called Scot & Jay as being way more on the same page--and it being a very mutually respectful and even affable one--than many here (mostly because of a very specific reason/bias :)) would "like" to believe.

We'll see if that (as with many other things) holds up over time.

Whatnot crossover:

Watching the MLB trade deadline unfold and actually deliver with substantial trades, some might even call a few of them blockbusters, a fan was pleasantly fulfilled. 

Additionally, the balance of power has seemingly shifted in multiple divisions across the landscape of professional baseball. Whether you support a 'buyer' or a 'seller,' you have something to get excited about. 

The universe ... what a concept.

It was fun for the casual and extreme fan alike. Internet and Blog banter and television coverage combined to drive over a month's worth of added entertainment and speculation, with actual payoff at the end, plus they had games in-between. 

The NFL sucks at the trade deadline. 

A Fox sports article a few years ago intimated that many more trades are discussed and/or proposed behind closed doors than the public would ever know. Basically, the GM you thought you knew isn't as singularly focused as folks like to portray after the fact.

We do that real well on ES. We write the narrative of what was going on before said event (Draft, Free Agency, trades) based upon the end result, of action or no action. Yet we do this posthumously to the event itself. We tend to concluded that said GM never had any intention of trading Player X, contrary to media speculation, because after all, it didn't actually happen. It seems we are often all too wrong about the intentions of our beloved leaders. 

It appears GMs are quite a bit more fanciful and willing to entertain a lot of possibilities, yet few are willing to act out of fear of being labeled impulsive or weak. But ultimately, for whatever reasons, NFL GMs are more prude than their MLB or NBA counterparts. Trades at the trade deadline just don't materialize.

George Carlin has a good stand-up piece about the psychological difference between the sports. I'm guessing that NFL GMs are under such immense scrutiny, they fear mistakes and likewise they have an overriding sense of not showing any weaknesses. 

Nonetheless, GMs league wide seem to text message or email one another with hair-brained ideas or inquisitive fanciful trades all the damn time. In-between texts from Jerry sending out pictures of his junk, that is. 

Now, fan intrigue and rampant media speculation is something both parties are very good at. We got that locked down. If you like fantasy, you can still create yours every year. But will there ever be a time when the NFL trade deadline will actually payoff with a flurry of trades to alter the balance of power within a playoff race?

History says no. 

It hasn't to this point and historically the NFL trade deadline has been a letdown. While media and fan speculation and rumormill always sets new records.   

I'd like to see the NFL trade deadline pushed back, once again. I'd like to see it occur on the first week of December (what used to be the final month of regular season games). *This year the final week of the regular season occurs on Sunday, January 3, 2016 (we play dallas). 

With the deadline transpiring on December 1st itself. That would be five days before the Sunday of week 13 (Dec. 6). *We play the 'Boyz on Monday night, Dec. 7.*

Currently the NFL trade deadline is around the last week of October (I believe). Last year, 2014, it occurred on Oct. 28. This year, October 28 falls between weeks 7 and 8. Far too early into the season to compel GMs to make calculated or desperation trade moves.

(edit) *The trade deadline this year is Nov. 3, 2015, between weeks 8 & 9.*

But a trade deadline occurring just before week 13, for us, the Redskins, that's just before our last 5 games of the year. FIVE GAMES. Historically, those are the games that determine whether a team makes the playoffs or not, whether a team has home field or not. 

The theory of moving the deadline back would be that by December everyone would have a real clear idea of which teams can conceivably make the 6 team playoff for each conference. 

We could see GMs make a one year push for the title, while bottom feeders could restock draft picks and jumpstart a rebuild. Just like MLB, both buyers and sellers, and fans alike, would be entertained and drawn in the hopefulness of the future. 

Zac Boyer ‏@ZacBoyer 2m2 minutes ago Richmond, VA

Gruden said Arie Kouandjio is making a strong push at left guard. On the topic of rookies, if they outplay a veteran in camp, they play.

Really took a hard look at Kouandjio after the Senior Bowl, & loved his tape. I have touted him on the draft thread since, & loved the pick. Glad to see he's pushing Lauvao...would love it more if he winds up starting over him.

Most of his knocks come from early last season, but if you watch the tape, he gets better every week, & was pretty darn good at the end of the season.

I'd like to see the NFL trade deadline pushed back, once again. I'd like to see it occur on the first week of December (what used to be the final month of regular season games). *This year the final week of the regular season occurs on Sunday, January 3, 2016 (we play dallas). 

With the deadline transpiring on December 1st itself. That would be four days before the Sunday of week 13 (Dec. 6). *We play the 'Boyz on Monday night, Dec. 7.*

Currently the NFL trade deadline is the last week of October (I believe). Last year, 2014, it occurred on Oct. 28. This year, October 28 falls between weeks 7 and 8. Far too early into the season to compel GMs to make calculated or desperation trade moves. 

But a trade deadline occurring just before week 13, for us, the Redskins, that's just before our last 5 games this year. FIVE GAMES. Historically, those are the games that determine whether a team makes the playoffs or not, whether a team has home field or not. 

The theory of moving the deadline back would be that by December everyone would have a real clear idea of which teams can conceivably make the 6 team playoff for each conference. 

We could see GMs make a one year push for the title, while bottom feeders could restock draft picks and jumpstart a rebuild. Just like MLB, both buyers and sellers, and fans alike, would be entertained and drawn in the hopefulness of the future. 

I edited some length out, I enjoyed reading, but would hate for it to happen. Just don't like the proposal of a contender suddenly getting a big advantage running into the playoffs. 

Gruden's response about young players & what my eyes have seen I think two rookies will be starting on O-line. Scherff & Kouandjio #Redskins

You know with the rookies making a push and all if Shawn Lauvao was maybe, happen to be cut it would open about 3 million for the skins

We notable names blocking on kick returns: Matt Jones, David Amerson, Akeem Davis, Preston Smith. #Redskins

.@DeAngeloHall23 ready for action.

CLbSOfJWsAALxES.jpg

Garcon watches as Chris Thompson fields a kick return. Garcon not working on ST, just watching. #Redskins

Garcon watches as Chris Thompson fields a kick return. Garcon not working on ST, just watching. #Redskins

[quote name="Monk4thaHALL"

Yeah the MLB trade deadline was simply retarded. Doubt you'd see it in the NFL to that degree simply because its not as plug and play as baseball

A few big names getting a 'rest day' today, not in pads: Kerrigan, Williams. I haven't seen DJax yet either. #Redskins

Looks like draw play hand offs. Delayed handoffs. Griffin to Morris... Like clockwork. Looks smooth.

Did you miss this: New post: Redskins have signed CB Deshazor Everett; LB Dasman McCullum http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/redskins-have-signed-cb-deshazor-everett-lb-dasman-mccullum/  #NFL #NFLDraftNews

Gruden, with what can best be described as a giant whiffle bat, hitting the ball in QBs hands as they drop back. Trying to strip. #Redskins

They released the McCullum LBer btw, wasn't sure, he was the spot that opened for Everett. 

Archived