Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the worst possible thing you can eat?

Springfield

Americans eat dinner early, my family usually eats at 7 or 8. I think its a cultural thing.

Why is pork not healthy or dog?

Pork is toxic. Pigs don't carry sweat glads. Without sweat glands, they can't rid of the toxins. Its what pigs eat is what the problem.

Pork caries parasites, even after cooked.

Do disagree that you need some sugar? Is there any reason to believe it matters where the sugar came from?

Moderation.

Nerp.

http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/index.xml?section=science

So when the all natural cane sugar gets added to chipwhich's tea, is it now "processed?" It's either that or only corporations are capable of "processing" food.

Peter is right, but everyone is going to leave the thread believing whatever they already believed, which when it comes to food seems to be "whatever I feel like believing" or "whatever my parents/friends told me." 

I don't add sugar to my tea. ^_^

Worst thing you can eat??? Here are my candidates: (Wiki and I09)

1) Hemlock - death comes from waking asphyxiation; .It would not have been a particularly pleasant death. Accounts of his death (Socrates) say it was peaceful, with feeling going out of his legs first, and the eventual numbness killing him. Actually, hemlock acts as a paralytic that keeps the mind awake. It takes out the muscles and then shuts down the respiratory system, so death comes from waking asphyxiation.

2) Aconite  -  it comes from the plant monkshood. It, reportedly, also has a famous casualty. The emperor Claudius was said to have been poisoned by his wife by aconite in a plate of mushrooms. The wife part of that scenario seems to be an anomaly since aconite was known as "The Mother-In-Law's Poison." It first caused vomiting and diarrhea, and then caused arrhythmic heart function until the person died.

3) Strychnine -This was not a way to poison someone you like. It causes uncontrollable muscle spasms, frothing at the mouth, reflexes that are dramatically greater than the stimuli that produce them, and eventual death from asphyxiation when the muscles are too tensed and erratic to allow for breathing

4) Arsenic:  The effects of arsenic - sweating, confusion, cramping muscles, and stomach pain - could be written off as extreme food poisoning.

5) Thallium - thallium poisoning has been called the "poisoner's poison" since thallium is colorless, odorless and tasteless; its slow-acting, painful and wide-ranging symptoms are often suggestive of a host of other illnesses and conditions.

I truly feel bad for people who can't/don't enjoy pork.

Ham, braised shoulder, bbq shoulder, speck, belly, bacon, pancetta, guanciale, bratwurst, boudin, keilbasa, bbq ribs, asian style ribs, pork chops, trotters, porchetta, tonkatsu, chicharon, andoulle, 'nduja, prosciutto, jambon, lechon, luau…..guh, the list goes on.

I don't blame any of you for not eating or liking pork, just means more bacon for me. I only got one life to live and i refuse to live it without swine.

As for the worst things, probably hydrogenated fats, corn syrup and cat poop are things i try to avoid eating.

Pork is toxic. Pigs don't carry sweat glads. Without sweat glands, they can't rid of the toxins. Its what pigs eat is what the problem.

Pork caries parasites, even after cooked.

You do know cattle doesn't sweat either right?

I truly feel bad for people who can't/don't enjoy pork.

Ham, braised shoulder, bbq shoulder, speck, belly, bacon, pancetta, guanciale, bratwurst, boudin, keilbasa, bbq ribs, asian style ribs, pork chops, trotters, porchetta, tonkatsu, chicharon, andoulle, 'nduja, prosciutto, jambon, lechon, luau…..guh, the list goes on.

I don't blame any of you for not eating or liking pork, just means more bacon for me. I only got one life to live and i refuse to live it without swine.

As for the worst things, probably hydrogenated fats, corn syrup and cat poop are things i try to avoid eating.

I'm with you, pork pride. They can have my baby back ribs when they pry them from cold, dead fingers. Which might be pretty soon according to some of the pork haters in this thread.

Seriously though, I had never heard of the toxicity of pork but I googled it and there seems to be some advocates of that idea. I'm just not one of them.

I don't really eat pork with the huge exception being bacon, which I love.

My dinners are usually 8-8:30 after we get back from Y but it's not bad because dinner is usually just a pre-cooked grilled chicken breast or two and a protein shake. Maybe I'll throw some sliced cucumbers if still hungry but usually one chicken breast and a large protein shake fills me up.

False.  Pigs do have sweat glands, they're just not very effective for regulating temperature which is why they roll in the mud as the mud provides the same evaporative cooling as sweating does for us.  Also, sweating does not remove toxins it is 99% water with some carbohydrates and protein mixed in.  Toxins are removed through the hepatic, renal and digestive systems.

People aren't built to eat pork. Whether it's lean or not, pork isn't healthy at all and provides nothing good. It is the worst meat you can eat. It's equivalent to eating dog, if not worse.

Nonsense.  Pork Tenderloin is probably one of the healthiest meats you can eat.  And people are no more not built to eat pork than any other meat.

(this actually brings up a good point.   FOr teh most part, my kids are amazingly good at portion control.  THey will eat until they aren't hungry any more, and then they will stop.  Even if it is an ice-cream sunday, or some-such.   My wife, also.     I honestly can't comprehend that gene, i turn into Homer Simpson when food is put in front of me.   

That's my issue.

When I care about whether I live or die, I cook a lot, and the meals are on the higher end of the "healthy" scale.

And then I eat three portions of it.

I will say, the best I ever felt physically was the six months my entire family was strictly paleo. (A modified version of scotch eggs was a staple of that diet actually).

That fell apart thanks to:

1. The fact that is was ridiculously expensive and time consuming to do,

2. My oldest daughter went from mildly troubled to completely insane, and

3. I started traveling more and that's an impossible diet to follow on the road unless you are much more disciplined than I am.

PS

I had two donuts and a Mountain Dew for breakfast. I may be in a coma by 10 AM CT.

Great post man. I just decided to eat earlier. I always leave food on the plate when we are out...at home, I just eat what I feel is needed.

I don't calorie count and all that stuff, I just try to eat relatively healthy, and then it gives me those moments where I can eat anything.

I hang out ( later hours) drink a beer or so...but rarely food or snacks, and certainly no soda.

It's tough...I see my wife sitting there with ice cream. Let's just say I want to call her names.

If I ever eat anything later, it is just a small portion/snack to tide me over to the next morning.

i go in waves on the late eating, and snacking thing.  Well, actually i ALWAYS snack alot, but sometimes it is less healthy than others. 

I think if i could forget that Ice Cream exists, i would have abs.   Lately i have been having ice cream everyday.   oh.. and bourbon and cokes... i have started having 2 of those most nights.   THAT is a big change out of the clear blue sky.  

http://www.livestrong.com/article/331119-what-are-the-calories-in-whiskey-coke/

i think i have more than 1 shot per drink... so call that 500 empty calories out the blue.   (and it is much harder to resist salty chips when you have a borbon and coke in your hand)

And in that same post, I said:

"I also want to point out that I am not saying that fructose, glucose, and sucrose are all the same. It is possible that one is worse for you. We do not know. My suggestion would be not to eat only any given one."

Where HFCS is a combination of fructose and glucose and table sugar is sucrose.

Now, let me go and and say we are clearly not rats.  Rats addicted to cocaine will actually pass up cocaine to drink HFCS.  Human cocaine addicts are not passing up cocaine to down a bottle of soda.

And what actually happens when we look at humans:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4145300/

"The combined HFCS groups had a lower increase in fat-free mass (51.4 ± 10.3 kg vs. 51.6 ± 10.1 kg) than the combined sucrose groups (53.2 ± 11.5 kg vs. 53.8 kg, interaction p < 0.05). "

When humans are given milk with either added sucrose or HFCS, it is the HFCS group that actually adds less weight.

(The paper looks at other things as well including adiposity and concludes there is essentially no difference between sucrose and HFCS and all of the changes (including the above) are relatively small.)

The science on the issue is still undecided.

When I was running a lot everything came into place and I was eating very healthy, with minimal snacking and avoiding empty calories.

These days it's like a Roman orgy in my stomach. I can't even remember what any degree of restraint looks like.

Edited to add ... I actually eat relatively healthy at home with little processed food and no added sugar. It's just the quantity.

That ... and the giant cookies I gorge on at work.

oh.. and bourbon and cokes... i have started having 2 of those most nights.   THAT is a big change out of the clear blue sky.  

I always drink bourbon and 7-up operating under the delusion that "Clear sodas" are healthier.

Because I am a crazy person.

If soda did not exist, I think I would be a fitness model. Ignore for a moment the donuts I just ate for breakfast, I generally don't do stuff like that. I really don't like ice cream. I'm capable of knocking off a bag of Doritos on a football Sunday, but I never have things like that in the house on a regular basis.

But Coca Cola to me is bliss. My wife has done a good job keeping it out of the house, but it was noting for me to drink a six pack of cans in a day in my 20s. What's that? About 1200 totally unnecessary calories?

Ice cream and mostly milk chocolate are my killers. If I've been dieting and go to Walmart and see those $0.50 candy bars...I mean not only am I addicted to chocolate but I am also really cheap. It's hard to pass up that deal. I get the shakes trying to walk by a deal on a candy bar.

I have to avoid all CVS and Walgreens locations for at least 2 months after Easter when they are getting rid of their Cadbury Creme Eggs for cheap.

Kills me.

Goodness. Several of the things that are listed here I presently eat or drink. Diet Soda,(cutting down on that),pork,(I see you all already called bs on some of that),and have a big tub of Smart Balance in the fridge to name a few. Hmmmm. I will say that for me,the bad stuff for me to eat was the pasta and bread. That's all but gone from the diet. 

(Yeah. I know. The beer ain't helping either. ;) ). 

Ice cream and mostly milk chocolate are my killers. If I've been dieting and go to Walmart and see those $0.50 candy bars...I mean not only am I addicted to chocolate but I am also really cheap. It's hard to pass up that deal. I get the shakes trying to walk by a deal on a candy bar.

I have to avoid all CVS and Walgreens locations for at least 2 months after Easter when they are getting rid of their Cadbury Creme Eggs for cheap.

Kills me.

I have no trouble with that. But the little cooler of 20 oz Cokes for 1.89 at the checkout line? Gets me every time. And I more or less mainline it on the way to the car.

My 10 year old is a really competitive gymnast and has started thinking in terms of healthy eating. And she has started saying "Daddy, don't buy a Coke this time" when we were checking out of any store.

Can we bet on chickens not sweating also?

Chickens definitely don't sweat. They are also fed a terrible diet and live in terrible conditions on poultry farms. Their diets can consist of chicken flesh, blood and feathers to a certain percentage. Cannibal chickens if you will.

Honestly people, it's not the animal, it's the conditions they are raised in you need to pay attention to. There are local farms close to you all over america that raise and slaughter their animals in humane and healthy ways.

Here in Chicago i work at a restaurant and we primarily use Slagel Farms meats. This includes beef, pork, chicken and lamb as well as eggs and sometimes produce. Why? Because the Chef and myself along with other chefs in the city have personally been invited to inspect the farm and slaughterhouses by Louis John Slagel.

Now you may say you can't afford to eat fancy meat, but if you are really so worried about what you put in your body, it would behoove you to give a **** about this and not just eat commodity chicken breasts loaded with hormones and raised in terrible conditions.

Archived