Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the worst possible thing you can eat?

Springfield

I actually believe the same about antacids. Why take the pill. Stop eating the junk that makes your body unhappy.

Nah. A lot of healthy, delicious foods can give you heartburn. Salsa, marinara, cucumbers, grapes, etc...

Nothing wrong with taking a Pepcid before sitting down for some Eggplant Parmigiana and a glass of chianti. #nowimhungry

What's worse is this generation of doctors grew up believing and eating these oils.  My sister in laws doctor just put her on cholesterol meds and had her switch from butter to smart balance.  It's not too smart to eat smart balance.  I try and explain to folks that doctors aren't nutritionists.  Being a doctor doesn't necessarily mean they know what's best for you to eat.

I love this country :)

Yeah, I've had one excellent physician my entire life . . . obviously he left town to take a teaching position with Penn State/Hershey Medical center. Hopefully he can train a next generation to be like him.

He was the rare physician that really took his time, I was shocked the first time I came in because of the depth of questioning he put into it it was like a 30 minute appointment for something routine and all his appts were like that. Trying to get as much info and background as possible. 

He wasn't quick to just prescribe, he wanted you to go back and fix lifestyle before he'd give meds. 

I try to be ethnically tolerant but I don't see how one can eat dog, cat, kangaroon, whale, shark and the like. Morally those are foods you probably shouldn't be eating. Healthwise it's fried foods 

They have kangaroo at Abbey Burger Bistro in Ocean City.  One of the regular menu items even.  I don't think it tastes too great though.

They have a different unusual meat every month too, ostrich for instance.

4111950_orig.jpg

Stick with fresh or frozen veggies instead of canned goods. Eat Asparagus, put spinach leafs of your sandwich instead of lettuce, eat kale, broccoli.

Eat a banana a day for potassium.

Grill meat products instead of frying them. Don't eat pork & fish. Eat Chicken.

Drink coffee instead of soda if u must have cafenine. Drink 7 glasses of water per day.

Take vitamin pills on a regular basis.

Hope this helps.

Why avoid fish or pork? Both can be a part of a very healthy diet.

Kind of missed my point.  Dietary salt isn't driving high blood pressure.  Processed foods, fast foods, restaurant eating where meals are insanely high in sodium are what I am referring to.  With regards to blood pressure meds, I am referring to over prescribed America.  Let's not fix anything through diet and exercise, let's get a doctor to "fix" me.

Here is a popular prescription, it's poison, that's what is laughable.  But it fixes American's propensity for bad dietary habits.  Once you get on your first drug, you usually end up getting on a second, then a third.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/lipitor-side-effects.html

Making me hungry, off to McDonald's.

Two more points:

1.  I'm not at all sure SmartBalance is worse for you than butter.  SmartBalance is essentially trans fat free.  SmartBalance is almost certainly better for you than the original Crisco.  Why do you think butter is better for you?

(Realistically, this is one of those cases where anything is probably too much of a bad thing.  If you use a ton of Smart Balance that's probably not so good for you, but I don't think using a ton of butter is probably good for you either.  But especially if it is the Smart Balance with the extra omega 3's with respect to at least just cholesterol, it is probably better for you.)

2.  Cholestoral level aren't heavily tied to what kind of food you eat either (some things (e.g. omega 3's) can affect the ratios, which is important and eating whole grains can lower things some, but they don't have a huge effects).

(Bad dietary habits is kind of vague.  The number one issue for Americans that is related to HBP and cholesterol is obesity so if by bad eating habits, you mean over eating, then I agree.)

And there's no real doubt that statins (which include lipitor) reduce heart disease and don't end up reducing people's life expectancies.

Processed foods and drinks.  So basically 90% of the American diet.

In-N-Out is fine though.   :)

Haven't had that privilege, but Whattaburger was pretty awesome/nasty/made me walk my ass down the beach 5 miles next morning kinda good, LOL

...by the way, I owe you an apology, and I'm honestly extending one.  Can we agree on better late than never?

What's worse is this generation of doctors grew up believing and eating these oils.  My sister in laws doctor just put her on cholesterol meds and had her switch from butter to smart balance.  It's not too smart to eat smart balance.  I try and explain to folks that doctors aren't nutritionists.  Being a doctor doesn't necessarily mean they know what's best for you to eat.

I love this country :)

I don't necessarily agree with that, it really depends on the specialty of the physician.  A physician who specializes in diabetes and other chronic diseases is probably going to be more updated on the current nutrition research than, say, and orthopedic.  

It also depends on the personality of the doctor and how much they invest in educating themselves about nutrition.  For example, my dad's orthopedic partner is more knowledgeable about nutrition than most Internal Med docs I know.  On the other hand, I wouldn't ask my dad jack about nutrition as I guarantee he'd tell me I can get as many vitamins from frickin fruit snacks than whole fruit...because that's how much he cares about the subject.  And both he and his partner are the same age; the difference is in their personal interest in keeping up on the research.

Also, for the record, younger doctors are getting more training on nutrition and mental health and how they tie in with chronic disease than the old school docs. 

Haven't had that privilege, but Whattaburger was pretty awesome/nasty/made me walk my ass down the beach 5 miles next morning kinda good, LOL

...by the way, I owe you an apology, and I'm honestly extending one.  Can we agree on better late than never?

LOL!  I swear, nothing beats a great burger in my book.

And seriously, no apology necessary.  We're all good :)  If we ever end up at a game together, I'll bring you some In-N-Out as a peace offering. ;)   HTTR!

Well said, K...hubby has to get a new doc because his is getting so old, he's out of touch. He can work his phone as a computer better than hubby(who is a "computer doc", lol).
He's had the same dude for like 30 years, and thinks going to mine would be weird, even though he loves talking to her because she sounds like Arianna Huffington... :wub:

Bloomin' Onion.  Heard those have a ridiculous amount of calories. 

worst thing ever.  Just broil one with the top cored out, a little olive oil & a buillion cube in it...YUMGASM

LOL!  I swear, nothing beats a great burger in my book.

And seriously, no apology necessary.  We're all good :)  If we ever end up at a game together, I'll bring you some In-N-Out as a peace offering. ;)   HTTR!

What peace offering? It was me that went off on you, and I'm sorry about that!...you bring the burgers, I'll bring the beer...you pick, but it better be something cool...

I trust west-coasters with that. :D

Two more points:

1.  I'm not at all sure SmartBalance is worse for you than butter.  SmartBalance is essentially trans fat free.  SmartBalance is almost certainly better for you than the original Crisco.  Why do you think butter is better for you?

(Realistically, this is one of those cases where anything is probably too much of a bad thing.  If you use a ton of Smart Balance that's probably not so good for you, but I don't think using a ton of butter is probably good for you either.  But especially if it is the Smart Balance with the extra omega 3's with respect to at least just cholesterol, it is probably better for you.)

2.  Cholestoral level aren't heavily tied to what kind of food you eat either (some things (e.g. omega 3's) can affect the ratios, which is important and eating whole grains can lower things some, but they don't have a huge effects).

(Bad dietary habits is kind of vague.  The number one issue for Americans that is related to HBP and cholesterol is obesity so if by bad eating habits, you mean over eating, then I agree.)

And there's no real doubt that statins (which include lipitor) reduce heart disease and don't end up reducing people's life expectancies.

1.  Smart Balance is garbage.  It's not healthy.  But enjoy it if you like.  Americans have been slurping down these unhealthy spreads for years.  I honestly can't understand why people buy them.

2.  An unhealthy diet is bad for cholesterol, you won't get high cholesterol by overeating fruits and vegetables.

3.  I didn't say lipitor reduces peoples life expectancies.  It is a poison to your system which is prescribed to fix a problem due to unhealthy eating and inactivity (in most cases).  Overprescribed America.  Go take your meds.  Diet and exercise is the solution, but Americans are too lazy for that.  Enjoy the side effects.  Now if you are obese and inactive and don't intend to change, ya might want to pop those meds....don't get me wrong.

I don't necessarily agree with that, it really depends on the specialty of the physician.  A physician who specializes in diabetes and other chronic diseases is probably going to be more updated on the current nutrition research than, say, and orthopedic.

Sorry I didn't mean to imply not to listen to your doctor, what I meant was just because a doctor tells you something nutritionally doesn't make it right.  There are some doctors still honking the low fat diet horn and people are still listening and buying fat free cookies.

If your doctor has nutritionally sound advice, you should listen.

Fluoroantimonic acid

But seriously...I agree about sodas and processed foods. From what I've read fats are not the bogeyman that people have made them out to be. Actually, fats are very important for the functioning of the body (and "fat" carries a bad name, but dietary fat is totally different than body fat). Its the additives and processed crap that gets you. That in addition to refined carbs and sugars. Salt is actually another bogeyman that doesn't deserve all the bad rep it gets, and sodium is another thing vital for our bodies... I could have sworn I read that most people actually don't have ENOUGH sodium in their diet.

Eating whole foods, unprocessed meat with decent fats, and fresh veggies while trying to limit the refined carbs, sugars, and mostly sticking with water to drink is pretty much a recipe for weight loss (and feeling better). You don't have to starve yourself, eat nothing but lettuce and carrots with low fat dressing, or count every single calorie in order to have a better diet and lose weight. Doing that can actually be counterproductive and incredibly unhealthy. Like others here, I had relatives who lived on farms. They drank whole milk, often ate fatty cuts of beef and pork, ate real butter, and fresh veggies and their health was quite good and they live to very old age.

1.  Smart Balance is garbage.  It's not healthy.  But enjoy it if you like.  Americans have been slurping down these unhealthy spreads for years.  I honestly can't understand why people buy them.

2.  An unhealthy diet is bad for cholesterol, you won't get high cholesterol by overeating fruits and vegetables.

The claim was that it was worse for you for butter.  The nature of the spreads have changed from heavy in trans fats, which are bad for you, to essentially no trans fats and the trans fats they do contain are natural trans fats.  Smart Balance isn't the same as your childhood parkay (or whatever spread you grew up with).

There are people that can eat fruits and vegetables that still have high cholesterol.  Again, in general, other than over eating due to obesity, diet has little to do with high cholesterol.  There are things you can do to affect the HDL vs. LDL ratio (e.g. omega 3s), but in most cases changing diet does little for most people.

If you are obese from eating fruits and vegetables, you will likely have a lot of the same issues as other people.

Now that would be pretty hard to do because they are not very calorie dense, but the main causes of high cholesterol are genetics, obesity, and lack of exercise.

Not eating or eating any given good.  From there, trans fats are bad, while fiber and things like omega 3s are good.

The claim was that it was worse for you for butter.  The nature of the spreads have changed from heavy in trans fats, which are bad for you, to essentially no trans fats and the trans fats they do contain are natural trans fats.  Smart Balance isn't the same as your childhood parkay (or whatever spread you grew up with).

Butter is healthier than Smart Balance, if you think otherwise you are an example of what I am talking about.  Smart Balance keeps changing their mix of unhealthy ingredients each time something in their elixir gets called out.  I wouldn't put that crap in my body.  The margarine fat free sillyness is almost over.  Eat healthy, a little butter in your diet won't kill you.  If smart balance is so healthy for ya, why do they have to keep changing the recipe?

It's always better to eat natural than processed.  Always.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/there-is-nothing-smart-about-smart-balance/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2946617/Butter-ISN-T-bad-Major-study-says-80s-advice-dairy-fats-flawed.html

http://nutritionwonderland.com/2009/03/smart-balance-versus-butter/

http://foodbabe.com/2014/01/20/is-butter-secretly-ruining-your-health/

http://authoritynutrition.com/7-reasons-why-butter-is-good-for-you/

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/saturated_fat/Butter.php

Peter, to your cholesterol argument. My experience was that diet and exercise does help cholesterol levels.

In September of 2012, I had my blood drawn and was not happy with the results. I started walking 2 miles or more every work day, playing hockey twice a week and changed my diet. Result is that I lost about 30 lbs. I also quit smoking somewhere along the lines.

My readings in September 2012 were:

Total cholesterol: 261

HDL: 46

LDL: 167

My readings in January 2014 were:

Total cholesterol: 225

HDL: 76

LDL: 128

I had readings in January of 2015 that were similar to 2014. I feel like the combination of diet, exercise and weight loss helped those numbers. I don't think that quitting smoking did much though.

Archived