Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the worst possible thing you can eat?

Springfield

I love carbs. That's my main problem.

Pasta, bread, pizza, etc are all of my favorite foods.

This is where I'm sort of lucky. I do like carbs but I generally can take them or leave them. I went on a ultra low carb diet a while back to lose a bit of weight and didn't really miss the carbs all that much (though fries and potatoes in general I definitely did miss). I also don't have much of a sweet tooth so candy isn't really all that appealing to me either.

I love carbs. That's my main problem.

Pasta, bread, pizza, etc are all of my favorite foods.

I've got all that. Come on by...we make our pizza dough fresh, in house. Makes all the difference.

I can make sure Lil Spring has Big Daddy around for a long while..."What's this salad nonsense?" No, bruh...we put gyro meat on that bad boy, with our homemade "ziki" sauce. Dig in!

It's funny that I probably do the things that everyone knows is really unhealthy yet I stay skinny and the doctor always is amazed at how low my blood pressure is.  I do know I have a super high metabolism.  I used to have to get up in the middle of the night to eat.  My wife has been trying to get me to be a little healthier but so far I've been pretty good at thwarting her attempts.

I smoke (cigarettes and cigars), drink way more than I should, and eat like total crap.  I keep a jar by the stove with left over bacon grease that I reuse in other meals.  When I run low I fry up half a pound of bacon for the grease and then eat that bacon throughout the day.  I cleverly call it my "throughout the day bacon".  When I make a grill cheese I use mayonnaise instead of butter.  I usually avoid greens like the plague.  My wife has started sneaking some spinach into my loaded mash potatoes though and it's not to bad.  I have cut out a lot of my coffee due to a kidney stone a few years ago and the doctor suggested less coffee.  I also drink a lot of water through out the day usually with a lemon slice in it.  And I run about 8-10 miles a week because of my job. 

I'm 5'6 and 140lbs.  Super low blood pressure and the doctor always says I am in surprisingly good shape.  My wife says if I keep this up I'll drop dead before I'm 40.  I'll take that bet.

I'm 5'6 and 140lbs.  Super low blood pressure and the doctor always says I am in surprisingly good shape.  My wife says if I keep this up I'll drop dead before I'm 40.  I'll take that bet.

Hahaha, time will get you son.  I was that on the dot (5'6" 140) till all the sudden at 42 I sprouted a boiler (155) and had to get 32" waist jeans. I was 30" from HS on.  Still have the low BP.  Finally quit smoking because it costs too much and for health too.

Hahaha, time will get you son.  I was that on the dot (5'6" 140) till all the sudden at 42 I sprouted a boiler (155) and had to get 32" waist jeans. I was 30" from HS on.  Still have the low BP.  Finally quit smoking because it costs too much and for health too.

That's what everyone tells me.  But all of my family is the exact same as me and they all stay small.  And that includes relatives that are into their 70's. 

That's what everyone tells me.  But all of my family is the exact same as me and they all stay small.  And that includes relatives that are into their 70's. 

I'm just like my grandad and my mom says he was thin, got a belly for a few years at the end of his working life from sitting behind a desk too much and then got thin again after he retired.  I'm still pretty thin except for the belly which to be honest isn't all that big.  I probably drink too much beer - not likely to change, but I attribute it mostly to a slight slow down of the metabolism and becoming a little too sedentary through work and an unrelated health issue.  

That 15 pounds will come off over time, already down a couple.  But I still mostly still eat and drink what I want.  The eating habits have changed over time, but that's because I just happen to like healthier stuff that I cook these days.  

We're lucky.  Enjoy it, I know I have.    :D

genes usually win, but lifestyle does help.

my wife used to lecture me on my habits,till her 7 bypasses after eating rabbit food.

This is one of those things that isn't really true.  When there was a lag behind the science on saturated fat (butter) and trans fat (margarine) where the argument could be made that margerine was better for you than butter.

But it certainly didn't get to the point of the FDA promoting mergerine.  The margerine industry pretty much right away promoted itself as the healthy alternative (e.g. made from the vegtables), but that's much different than the FDA.

Oh yes they were.  I am trying to pull up some of the old articles but of course the FDA has them removed from the interwebz.  http://www.choosemargarine.com/latestSpread_fda_publication.htmlhttp://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fda-publication-and-web-site-show-margarines-healthfulness-over-butter-73966562.html

There was no lag in science, it was idiotic to promote margarine over butter but the USFDA and the FDA were doing just that.  I assume the margarine industry lobbyists were coating some pockets.  Other countries have been laughing at us over our trans fat and HFCS love.

It doesn't take science to know not to eat plastic, processed, hydrogenated, artificially flavored spread.  Let's go get that Parkay squeeze bottle margarine pops, it spreads like liquid gold.

Props to Obama I guess.  11 years ago.  https://www.cspinet.org/transfat/PDF/CSPI_trans_fat_petition.pdf

Meanwhile America kept getting sicker and more obese.

genes usually win, but lifestyle does help.

my wife used to lecture me on my habits,till her 7 bypasses after eating rabbit food.

Yeah I think you're right. At the end of the day genes play a bigger role in many health areas, including obesity. But yeah, at least living a somewhat healthy lifestyle does definitely help as well.

Yeah I think you're right. At the end of the day genes play a bigger role in many health areas, including obesity. But yeah, at least living a somewhat healthy lifestyle does definitely help as well.

Genes play a role, but America didn't become so obese because of genes.  For those who don't travel abroad, very few places in the world where you can eat a Baconater, Fries, and an Oreo Cookie Frosty without leaving the comforts of your car.

More importantly, you can't even buy the processed food we sell here.

Oh yes they were.  I am trying to pull up some of the old articles but of course the FDA has them removed from the interwebz.  http://www.choosemargarine.com/latestSpread_fda_publication.htmlhttp://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fda-publication-and-web-site-show-margarines-healthfulness-over-butter-73966562.html

There was no lag in science, it was idiotic to promote margarine over butter but the USFDA and the FDA were doing just that.  I assume the margarine industry lobbyists were coating some pockets.  Other countries have been laughing at us over our trans fat and HFCS love.

It doesn't take science to know not to eat plastic, processed, hydrogenated, artificially flavored spread.  Let's go get that Parkay squeeze bottle margarine pops, it spreads like liquid gold.

Props to Obama I guess.  11 years ago.  https://www.cspinet.org/transfat/PDF/CSPI_trans_fat_petition.pdf

Meanwhile America kept getting sicker and more obese.

Are you reading what you are posting?

"Choose vegetable oils (except coconut and palm kernel oils) and

soft margarines (liquid, tub, or spray) more often because the amounts of

saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol are lower than the amounts in solid

shortenings, hard margarines, and animal fats, including butter."

They specifically were talking about things that are low in trans fats, and then you post a link about the efforts to ban trans fats.

You said that the FDA suggested that people eat margarine that was high in trans fat.  It isn't true.  Even your link is talking about eating things that were low in trans fats.  Things like SmartBalance ("soft margarine") have essentially no trans fat in them (and probably even less than butter).

"Hard margarine" is high in trans fat (as stated by your links) and was never suggested by the FDA over butter.

Your statement was false as indicated by the information in your own link.

Are you reading what you are posting?

Your statement was false as indicated by the information in your own link.

Sorry, making multiple points in one post.

Choose vegetable oils (except coconut and palm kernel oils) and soft margarines (liquid, tub, or spray) more often because the amounts of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol are lower than the amounts in solid shortenings, hard margarines, and animal fats, including butter.”

They were promoting margarine over butter.  Just in squeeze bottle form.  :P  And this was an article later when Trans Fats were becoming a public topic.  I can't find the old data the FDA was putting out because the archived it.  They were definitely promoting margarine.  I lived it.

The other link I posted about was pushing the FDA to ban Trans Fats in 2004.  I posted that because you want to use "science" as a reason for the idiocy being pushed on the people.  It's not science, I can only assume it's $$$ and lobbyists.

Out of all the things you want to defend.  Margarine takes the cake.  :D

Genes play a role, but America didn't become so obese because of genes.  For those who don't travel abroad, very few places in the world where you can eat a Baconater, Fries, and an Oreo Cookie Frosty without leaving the comforts of your car.

More importantly, you can't even buy the processed food we sell here.

That's a fair point as well. There is a major cultural and societal element to our chronic obesity too. I watched a youtube video where people in Ireland tried a bunch of American foods and they were all like "oh my god this doesn't even taste real" or "wow this is way too sugary" and things of that nature. 

Our portions here are generally pretty enormous as well. A former coworker of mine who had come to the US from India for work told me about the first time he went out to eat here. He ordered something and when they brought it out he apologized for ordering the wrong thing as he didn't realize it was for 2 people. The waiter was like "huh?"   lol

Sorry, making multiple points in one post.

Choose vegetable oils (except coconut and palm kernel oils) and soft margarines (liquid, tub, or spray) more often because the amounts of saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol are lower than the amounts in solid shortenings, hard margarines, and animal fats, including butter.”

They were promoting margarine over butter.  Just in squeeze bottle form.  :P  And this was an article later when Trans Fats were becoming a public topic.  I can't find the old data the FDA was putting out because the archived it.  They were definitely promoting margarine.  I lived it.

The other link I posted about was pushing the FDA to ban Trans Fats in 2004.  I posted that because you want to use "science" as a reason for the idiocy being pushed on the people.  It's not science, I can only assume it's $$$ and lobbyists.

Out of all the things you want to defend.  Margarine takes the cake.  :D

Here's what I said was not true in your previous post.

"The USFDA was promoting margarine with trans fats for years."

Your post DOES NOT say margarine.  It says margarine WITH trans fats.

Are you capable of making the distinction between low to no trans fat margarines (lower than butter in many cases) and high trans fat margarines?

Because your link does and if you can't then the conversation is useless.

This is where I'm sort of lucky. I do like carbs but I generally can take them or leave them. I went on a ultra low carb diet a while back to lose a bit of weight and didn't really miss the carbs all that much (though fries and potatoes in general I definitely did miss). I also don't have much of a sweet tooth so candy isn't really all that appealing to me either.

I do t have a sweet tooth either. Candy is cool, but I go weeks or months without eating any.

I've got all that. Come on by...we make our pizza dough fresh, in house. Makes all the difference.

I can make sure Lil Spring has Big Daddy around for a long while..."What's this salad nonsense?" No, bruh...we put gyro meat on that bad boy, with our homemade "ziki" sauce. Dig in!

Man, I am ALL in!

Here's what I said was not true in your previous post.

"The USFDA was promoting margarine with trans fats for years."

Your post DOES NOT say margarine.  It says margarine WITH trans fats.

Are you capable of making the distinction between low to no trans fat margarines (lower than butter in many cases) and high trans fat margarines?

Because your link does and if you can't then the conversation is useless.

I know what my link says, I clearly stated you can't go back that far because it all has been archived.

I know what my link says, I clearly stated you can't go back that far because it all has been archived.

Well your inclusions of the links made it seem like they supported your point, but they do not.

And it isn't like you can only support your view with links from the FDA.

There are lots of stories out there on the history of fat.

Early studies suggested animal fats (eg butter) with high saturated fat are worse for you than they actually probably are.

Our understanding that trans fats were really bad trailed that at least in terms of wide acceptance. Partly because of actions by industry scientists, but not by a whole lot.

The real result is that the government was suggesting a low fat diet in general at a time when a lot of fats in people's diets were trans fats.

More recently we have added another level of complexity with omega 3 vs. 6, but again the government is slow and that has not leaked into recommendations.

Though I am not sure the best way to take into account all of the information myself other than not over do any one thing.

Though I am not sure the best way to take into account all of the information myself other than not over do any one thing.

I think it comes to my greater point of not eating processed packaged foods.  All this concern over fat or carbs could be alleviated if we returned to eating foods provided by earth and mother nature not by science and scientists and in a laboratory.

The whole grain revolution has pushed even cereals like fruit loops to boldly display the whole grain logo on their boxes.  Margarine once boasted the American Heart Association approval logo.  It's all a fraud and a scam.

Archived