Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History In The Making: NASA's New Horizons Probe Makes Pluto/Charon System Approach Today (*New pics of Pluto/Charon/Hydra Included*)

Mr. Sinister

It would be really bad luck if it collided with Voyager.

L-O-L

One of my favorite bits of space statistics is that Voyager is traveling at 37,000 MPH, but IF it were aimed at the next-closest star, Proxima Centauri, it would still take 80,000 years to get there. I think Voyager finally left the Oort cloud of our solar system recently. It's about 12 billion miles away from Earth right now, while Proxima Centauri is roughly 24 trillion miles from Earth.

Voyager would only be .05% the way to Proxima Centauri.

It would be even funnier if we passed it, 300 years from now in a NASA space frigate.

Or if some alien janitor sees it and sucks it up like we vacuum crumbs from a piece of fried chicken, viewing it as nothing more than a floating pile of ****. All that work and history. And thats how it ends.

It would be even funnier if we passed it, 300 years from now in a NASA space frigate.

Or if some alien janitor sees it and sucks it up like we vacuum crumbs from a piece of fried chicken, viewing it as nothing more than a floating pile of ****. All that work and history. And thats how it ends.

We'll be able to calculate where it is, I'm thinking we nab it and stuff it in a museum.

Can you, just for a second, imagine the hysteria if that thing sent a picture back of some kind of craft flying past?

These are the kind of scenarios I daydream about. Society would lose their ****

We'd never be told about it

Like the twilight zone where the woman is being attacked by this miniature bug only at the end do we realize the bug is an American astronaut and the woman is an alien on another planet.

Some alien will just swar that thing away like a gnat at a barbecue

I think the black and white images are of a much higher resolution than the color ones. This is an amazing achievement. I can't imagine the math required to throw something and 9 years later hit exactly what you were aiming at.

I think they were able to make some adjustments on the way.  At least I hope so, after all that would seem like an important feature, particularly if someone forgot to convert U.S. customary units to metric units.

Too bad we'll all be dead when things really start to get interesting, in the next 60-100 years.

/Someone that was alive 60-100 years ago.

That's what they said when we landed on the moon.... 46 years ago.

Too bad we'll all be dead when things really start to get interesting, in the next 60-100 years.

/Someone that was alive 60-100 years ago.

One of my favorite things to imagine--with an eye more on how "daily life" and ALL our social/culture institutions; not just the technology---is what it might be like 5-10,000 years from now.

Think of what might be the nature of the major human institutions and schools of thought--- education, health care, lifespan, philosophy, religions, politics (nations?), personality/brain science ("who/what/why" we are/aren't), commerce, all organizations (how everything's structured or composed).

It's dazzling to imagining how these might be changed, or even cease to be with something very different in place, and how much and what forms (if any) might be more or less the same. What's changed so dramatically in the last 1-to-2000 years in all those areas will (logically should if we don't self-destruct/set things way back) seem like nothing much in comparison. It makes me want to be able to watch. If there's no charge. On a budget these days. 

Archived