Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

History In The Making: NASA's New Horizons Probe Makes Pluto/Charon System Approach Today (*New pics of Pluto/Charon/Hydra Included*)

Mr. Sinister

First look at Hydra

aec97a1d-775b-4869-82a9-5c9fe432eb49-bes

There's a better hi-res picture coming, but you can already see it's very peculiar dimensions from this image here

All that technology to get them to Pluto and they can't take color photographs?

I'm sure there are plenty of color images coming. Just takes time.

I think the black and white images are of a much higher resolution than the color ones. This is an amazing achievement. I can't imagine the math required to throw something and 9 years later hit exactly what you were aiming at.

I think the black and white images are of a much higher resolution than the color ones. This is an amazing achievement. I can't imagine the math required to throw something and 9 years later hit exactly what you were aiming at.

Yeah, especially when the thing you're aiming for, is moving, and one little mistake could cost you another 10 years. Can't imagine how much luck went in to all of this, on top of pure genius.

Will be interesting what this probe runs into beyond Pluto. How long will it transmit?

Probably another 20 years. Was reading a little this morning, and some of the people on the project believe it is on borrowed time due to how much debris is in New Horizons path (Kuiper Belt incoming), and how fast it is travelling (a little over 36k mph). Wouldn't take much to rip it to shreds.

But if it holds, it could potentially tell us more about how our solar system was formed, depending on what may or may not be left over from its birth at the very edge of it)

Different thread...

But it's a shame that the general public lost interest in the space program and we stopped funding it.

We went to the Moon because we wanted to get there first. I wonder if China announced that they were going to Mars if we would ramp up to make it there first or if we would just let them have it.

Archived