Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Tom Hanks' son defends using the N-word

G.A.C.O.L.B.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/06/02/tom-hanks-son-defends-his-use-of-the-n-word/28369727/

Tom Hanks' son defends using the N-word

Arienne Thompson, USA TODAY

Chester Hanks, the son of Oscar-winning actor Tom Hanks and actress Rita Wilson, uses the N-word freely and is proud of it, he says in an Instagram video.

The younger Hanks, a rapper who goes by the stage name Chet Haze, is defending his use of the racial slur following a flurry of angry comments on his Instagram page after he used the N-word in a photo caption over the weekend.

Hanks lashed out at critics, writing "(expletive) yall hatin ass (N-words)" and posting a series of videos accompanied by long, expletive-filled explanations about why he has the right to use the slur.

"If I say the (N-word) I say it amongst people I love and who love me. If I say "(expletive) yall hatin ass (N-words)" it's because that's really how I felt at the time. And I don't accept society getting to decide what ANYBODY can or can't say. That's something we call FREE SPEECH. Now I understand the older generation who grew up in the Jim Crowe era might have strong feelings against this. And that's understandable... But what I'm saying is this is 2015... And even tho we are still far from where we need to be and black people are still being literally KILLED by a RACIST and (expletive) up system... We have also reached a point where the word can no longer have a negative connotation if we so choose. And who is to say only black people can use it? The way I see it, it's a word that unifies the culture of HIP-HOP across ALL RACES, which is actually kind of a beautiful thing. It's a word that can be used out of camaraderie and love, not just exclusively for black people. What's the point in putting all these built up 'rules' about it. It's time to let go. You can hate me or love me for it, but can't nobody tell me what I can or can't say. It's got nothing to do with trying to be a thug. It's about the culture of the music. And that's all I have to say about that (no pun intended) lol. It's all love. Some people will get it, some people won't. Either way, Ima keep living my life however the (expletive) I want. ALL LOVE."

CGhiPc4VAAEpfi5.png

More at the link including said Instagram videos...

As I've said before on here over the last decade, there is nothing in this world that's a bigger pet peeve for me than someone who is non-African American using the "n-word". This goes for Mexicans, Australians, Filipinos, Canadians and ****ing Eskimos. And this ESPECIALLY goes for privileged, go hard, wannabe white kids who probably had their 10th bday party at the Spielberg's. God it just pisses me off and really just embarrasses me more than anything.

Again, "n-word" was the most hurtful/painful slur in the history of our Nation. Blacks (African Americans) then hijacked the word, made it their own, turned it into a term of endearment, among other things over the years, and took the sting out of it. Through their struggle they earned the right to use the word. Them and ONLY them. It's not that ****ing complicated.

And ftr, any Black man or woman who validates someone of another race using the word, they're just as ignorant as them. It'll only be dumbass youngsters validating that ****. You won't see old heads doing it.

Probably has never has his ass beat. Hopefully it happens one day soon.

It's not even that. I remember in high school and when I was around some friends when I used to go to local car shows, white dudes would drop N bombs left and right and their black friends would just keep talking acting like they were okay with it. Always caught me completely off guard.

I agree about the word- I dont like it and don't use it. It's disgusting to me.

And tom hanks son is a clown.

But I do understand that kids of all races use the word these days as a term of endearment, or as a general term for a person. It doesn't mean what it did when I grew up.

more specifically, the word with an "a" on the end is what we're talking about. The "er" version is what it always has been. They have essentially become two different words.

I don't get it, but it is what it is.

Still, hanks' son would do well to find other words to use.

I've heard more people in my life say the n word, with an a, than I could dare count. Around black people, not around black people. Doesn't really faze me.

Of course, I'd have to say that I view anyone who uses the n word as immature an uneducated, no matter the color. I'm just too old for that **** any more I guess. Which is strange because I don't mind it in my music.

Devils advocate. I have not watched the vid.

I am.

White. Class of 87. Grew up on a golf course. Black sheep of the family. I can give you every lyric off the following albums...properly.

Public Enemy - Nation of Millions

NWA - Compton

Gets Boys - Eponymous

I reserve the right to say it, when it is appropriate.

As I've said before on here over the last decade, there is nothing in this world that's a bigger pet peeve for me than someone who is non-African American using the "n-word". This goes for Mexicans, Australians, Filipinos, Canadians and ****ing Eskimos. And this ESPECIALLY goes for privileged, go hard, wannabe white kids who probably had their 10th bday party at the Spielberg's. God it just pisses me off and really just embarrasses me more than anything.

Again, "n-word" was the most hurtful/painful slur in the history of our Nation. Blacks (African Americans) then hijacked the word, made it their own, turned it into a term of endearment, among other things over the years, and took the sting out of it. Through their struggle they earned the right to use the word. Them and ONLY them. It's not that ****ing complicated.

And ftr, any Black man or woman who validates someone of another race using the word, they're just as ignorant as them. It'll only be dumbass youngsters validating that ****. You won't see old heads doing it.

I completely agree and disagree with you here. (I'm a complex individual. Smile and roll with it.  :P.). 

Completely agree on non-African Americans races not using the word.

Completely disagree that they have 'earned the right' to use it. 

We all laugh when someone like Chris Rock uses it in his act. Most of you from my generation grew up with bands like N.W.A. and no doubt used to have it blaring out/ sing along to it. But just because it's become more and more prevalent among young the young black generation does't make it right and it's a darn shame it's become acceptable. I honestly don't think a lot of these kids realise what they're evoking when they so liberally throw it out there. I'll wager a good many of their elders so to speak cringe and rile with anger every time they do. It should be unacceptable fro EVERYONE. PERIOD!

As for Tom Hanks and his family, I feel for them for the kind of criticism that could well taint them going forward down to his boneheaded, arrogant son. 

I believe in the power of words. They can be used to engage, motivate, startle, incite, anger, etc. That's why certain words should be used carefully, consciously. It's one of the reasons I don't approve of the overuse of this term. I do understand that words change meaning. "Nice" used to be a bad thing. "Curry" used to be about horse grooming. The question is though that right now some are trying to have their cake while eating it.

The idea of permission is tricky. That only certain groups or individuals have permission to use a word and in their mouths it means friendship and brotherhood, while in the out group it means something vile and hateful, is dangerous. For instance, that permission isn't universally granted and understood. Perhaps, in his micro groups, the younger Hanks was given permission, but do his friends have the power to grant him use of the word culture wide. If he's using it without permission to shock then what is the goal behind the startle. If he's using it just because he can he is misusing the power of a word.

One of the other big problems of this type of the use of the "n" word is that it is neutering the word without neutering the substance behind it. The hate's still there even if they take ownership of the word, even if they defang it phonetically. It's attacking a symptom while ignoring the disease.

Please click the sig link below:

Like it or not, the word is part and parcel for the genre.

Now if people want to say white folks can't make rap records, well, now we've gone past 'hurtful words' and into a form of censorship that is completely discriminatory.

So, hip hoppers and rappers and all you assorted fast-talkers..  you made this word part of the lexicon of your art.
and in the context of the art form, it does not mean the old meaning that once was assigned to it. It can mean anything from 'Guy i want to kill" to "my best friend".

And you can't exclude people from making art because of their color. Once you open the door, break a barrier,  well, you can't then decide who is allowed to walk through.

the best way to get him to stop using it is don't buy his music. Don't click his video. Don't publicize him.

But to complain because of his color?

Well, that's called racism, like it or not.

~Bang

the best way to get him to stop using it is don't buy his music. Don't click his video. Don't publicize him.

But to complain because of his color?

Well, that's called racism, like it or not.

~Bang

and that's true too.

Just goes to show you can do your best with raising kids, but people are born assholes. Nothing you can do about it.

Tom probably loses sleep worrying about this clown and what the kid's doing to his image smh

Just goes to show you can do your best with raising kids, but people are born assholes. Nothing you can do about it.

Tom probably loses sleep worrying about this clown and what the kid's doing to his image smh

or, maybe....

tom hanks is a closet white gangsta' rapper that openly uses the n word, wears a clock around his neck and drinks st. ides

Like it or not, the word is part and parcel for the genre.

~Bang

i can almost get it if he's just talking about rap lyrics.  from how i read it, he didn't seem to limit himself to that.

or, maybe....

tom hanks is a closet white gangsta' rapper that openly uses the n word, wears a clock around his neck and drinks st. ides

Well that's just great. I always had this image of Tom Hanks as the loveable grandad/ uncle I never had who'd of been awesomely kid like brilliant to hang out and play with. 

Now it's been replaced by that! 

Thank you Major for taking another thing away from me!  :angry:.

Hail. 

i can almost get it if he's just talking about rap lyrics.  from how i read it, he didn't seem to limit himself to that.

yeah.. there is that.

For me, i am not a fan of the genre, but i can appreciate the reality of it for those who created it and those who use it to express themselves.

the son of one the top stars in Hollywood,, i don't think he's got too many real problems to complain about. This clown is playing a character.

And characters cease to be once you leave the stage.

~BAng

I completely agree and disagree with you here. (I'm a complex individual. Smile and roll with it.  :P.). 

Completely agree on non-African Americans races not using the word.

Completely disagree that they have 'earned the right' to use it. 

We all laugh when someone like Chris Rock uses it in his act. Most of you from my generation grew up with bands like N.W.A. and no doubt used to have it blaring out/ sing along to it. But just because it's become more and more prevalent among young the young black generation does't make it right and it's a darn shame it's become acceptable. I honestly don't think a lot of these kids realise what they're evoking when they so liberally throw it out there. I'll wager a good many of their elders so to speak cringe and rile with anger every time they do. It should be unacceptable fro EVERYONE. PERIOD!

As for Tom Hanks and his family, I feel for them for the kind of criticism that could well taint them going forward down to his boneheaded, arrogant son. 

I have to agree with ole GHH here.  My preference is that nobody should be saying it.  The less it's said, eventually it will fade into nothing (not in my lifetime). 

Well that's just great. I always had this image of Tom Hanks as the loveable grandad/ uncle I never had who'd of been awesomely kid like brilliant to hang out and play with.

Now it's been replaced by that!

Thank you Major for taking another thing away from me! :angry:.

Hail.

Lol, another thing? What else am i guilty of taking from u?

Archived