Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

13 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

It blows my mind that as a country, we don't have a single universal standard for police training. State to state we can have wildly different standards from recruitment, training and continuous learning for LEOs. 

In some states training requirements are set at county levels or lower. I will never understand it. Hell in some places it takes more training to be a cosmetologist then a cop. 

I live in Anne Arundel County Maryland. The minimum requirements to be a county cop are; 

U.S. Citizen, at least 21 years old at the time of graduation from the academy, H.S. Diploma or GED, valid driver’s license.
** No Felony or Serious Misdemeanor Convictions.
To be a teacher the minimum requirements in the same county; 

Minimum Qualifications

To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.  Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions

Education

·  Bachelor’s degree in applicable field of education from a regionally accredited college or university.

I can't imagine the outcry from conservatives if there was a federal standard for local police training.

BUt they all do get together in the nations capitol every year, something I didn't know about until i moved back here several years ago from Chicago.

I went out of my house one evening around 9pm to walk my dog, walked to the corner of Kentucky and Indepedence ave SE and saw a Chicago PD ford explorer driving down independence. I did a double take thinking I was losing my mind but no.

2023 Police Week Schedule - National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund (nleomf.org)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GoCommiesGo said:

Hell in some places it takes more training to be a cosmetologist then a cop. 

Well yeah. Karens reliably vote and are very loud about their opinions. If one person gives her a bad dye job, and one person "accidentally" murders a young male minority that she reported for being "suspicious," which one do you think she'd be more vocal about and demand local politicians establish standards for?

And don't forget Karen's husband. The high school dropout who used to play sports in HS and bully kids he didn't like still needs a job, so if you put too many requirements on being a cop than one of the most common local jobs program nationwide suddenly can't be the place for him to fail into when he can't qualify for any other jobs. Plus, there are some minorities (including immigrants!) among those salon workers, so we have to be really careful about letting them use chemicals around "our" women, so...

• Like 1

The deputy and the disappeared

A Latino man and a Black man went missing three months apart in Florida. Both vanished after getting in a patrol car driven by the same White deputy sheriff

One morning 19 years ago, Marcia Williams woke up praying for her son. Terrance worked two jobs, and liked reading Socrates, and had a scar on his right hand, near the thumb, from one time when he played with matches as a little boy. He was Marcia’s only child. She prayed and prayed, fighting against this inexplicable feeling that something terrible was about to happen.

A few hours later, Terrance crossed paths with a deputy sheriff. He got in the deputy’s patrol car. Then he disappeared.

The deputy said he’d given Terrance a ride to a Circle K convenience store. But there was no proof that Terrance arrived at the Circle K. And his mother never saw him again.

Eventually, Marcia learned something astonishing about this deputy sheriff.

Three months earlier, another man had also taken a ride in his patrol car.

Just like Terrance Williams, Felipe Santos had been driving illegally.

Just like Williams, he encountered Cpl. Steven Calkins of the Collier County Sheriff’s Office.

And just like Williams, he disappeared right after that.

The deputy said he’d dropped Santos off at a Circle K convenience store. But there was no proof that Santos arrived at the Circle K. And his family never saw him again.

Calkins is White. Santos was Latino. Williams was Black.

“It is my belief that they were killed because of their color,” said Doug Molloy, who was an assistant US attorney in 2004 and led a multi-agency task force that investigated the disappearances as potential hate crimes.

Sheriff’s investigators surveyed the evidence and determined that Calkins was not telling the truth about his encounter with Terrance Williams. One investigator made a list of nearly two dozen untruthful or inconsistent statements that Calkins made about the day he met Williams. In August 2004, about seven months after Williams disappeared, then-Sheriff Don Hunter fired Calkins. As he later wrote, “I have lost trust in Calkins and his ability to describe incidents in detail and to recall them.”

Click on the link for the full story

8 hours ago, GoCommiesGo said:

It blows my mind that as a country, we don't have a single universal standard for police training. State to state we can have wildly different standards from recruitment, training and continuous learning for LEOs. 

In some states training requirements are set at county levels or lower. I will never understand it. Hell in some places it takes more training to be a cosmetologist then a cop. 

I live in Anne Arundel County Maryland. The minimum requirements to be a county cop are; 

What should the minimum requirements be then?

2 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

What should the minimum requirements be then?

Associates Degree in criminal justice as a minimum. Ideally a bachelor’s in criminal justice or some derivative related to it. 

If your job is to enforce a complicated set of standards we should require something similar to at least other professions paid by the state / county.

My wife is a teacher, she has a bachelor’s and was required to get her masters within a set period of time. My cousin is a forensic laboratory technician for Baltimore police. Minimum requirements was a bachelor’s degree. They had a more rigid entry requirement to their jobs and they don’t have even get qualified immunity for making mistakes. 

—edit—

Our local community college offers an associate’s degree for law enforcement. 

Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice

If you want to help people while contributing to the safety and overall well-being of the country and the global community, you might want to consider one of Anne Arundel Community College’s highly regarded Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice programs.

You’ll train under current and former criminal justice professionals, who have expertise ranging from local, state and federal law enforcement to military intelligence analysis. And you’ll be in good company. Law enforcement agencies at all levels — such as the Maryland Transportation Authority Police, Department of Homeland Security and Transportation Security Administration — have sent their employees to our Homeland Security and Criminal Justice Institute for training for more than 10 years.

I don’t think this is controversial, asking a person to undergo some type of higher education for a career that is as important as law enforcement is a big ask. 

Most professional jobs require advanced degrees. I’m not advocating for a four year program out the door. But a two year program should be the bare minimum to get in the door. 

Edited by GoCommiesGo
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, GoCommiesGo said:

Associates Degree in criminal justice as a minimum. Ideally a bachelor’s in criminal justice or some derivative related to it. 

If your job is to enforce a complicated set of standards we should require something similar to at least other professions paid by the state / county.

My wife is a teacher, she has a bachelor’s and was required to get her masters within a set period of time. My cousin is a forensic laboratory technician for Baltimore police. Minimum requirements was a bachelor’s degree. They had a more rigid entry requirement to their jobs and they don’t have even get qualified immunity for making mistakes. 

—edit—

Our local community college offers an associate’s degree for law enforcement. 

Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice

I don’t think this is controversial, asking a person to undergo some type of higher education for a career that is as important as law enforcement is a big ask. 

Most professional jobs require advanced degrees. I’m not advocating for a four year program out the door. But a two year program should be the bare minimum to get in the door. 

Thats cool, so how are you going to entice people that go down that path to actually apply for the police academy?  They don't typically offer a great salary for someone to literally be willing to take a bullet for complete strangers.  

7 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Thats cool, so how are you going to entice people that go down that path to actually apply for the police academy?  They don't typically offer a great salary for someone to literally be willing to take a bullet for complete strangers.  

There needs to be something more than a willingness to put a bullet in complete strangers

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

I'm willing to bet most cops are not willing to take a bullet for a complete stranger. Maybe for one of their colleagues. If the salaries are too low they should strike, they have unions. Also don't a lot of police officers make a ton of overtime? Sometimes they even embezzle overtime pay they didn't earn.

What to know about the latest developments in the Boston police overtime pay scandal

Fifteen current or former Boston Police Department employees have been charged since September, as prosecutors have alleged they embezzled overtime pay for hours they did not work — a total of over $300,000 over a five-year period.

Just now, TradeTheBeal! said:

Super genius who wants to put a loaded AR-15 in the hands of every single elementary school employee in the country now questions why anyone would want to become a police officer in that country…because it seems dangerous.

You're onto something here. If the pay is too low they can just get a second job as a teacher! That's what we've been telling low payed teachers for years!

*Bonus they can wear their bullet proof vests to school in case of a pesky child mass murder.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Considering it’s one of the only jobs left in the country that offers a pension after 20 years, that’s a big incentive. 

Offer signing bonuses (this is done already), tuition forgiveness after X years served. Provide a stipend to students similar to what Wes Moore is proposing for teachers.

Starting salary now is 58k in Anne Arundel county, non inclusive of OT. The signing bonus is 20k and dispersed over three years of service. Starting pay and benefits are solid out of the gate, long term pay is good also. The career perception needs to be changed, I don’t want a bunch of people driving around with punisher skills on their cars enforcing rules.

There are a lot of good cops, wanting to have a better prepared officer should be a good thing. 

—Edit—

As my wife just pointed out. Teachers are now being asked to take a bullet from a complete stranger, should we lower their requirements? 

Edited by GoCommiesGo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Super genius who wants to put a loaded AR-15 in the hands of every single elementary school employee in the country now questions why anyone would want to become a police officer in that country…because it seems dangerous.

I am against arming teachers in schools.  I’ve stated that before and you know that.  I’m asking him, not you, what the minimum requirements should be and what incentives would need to be to attract people to apply for the police academy.  

It’s not an attractive job to begin with.

8 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

why should that scare them?  It's not like Cops actually enter a school during times of crisis.

17 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

We could try paying them--and other civil servants like teachers--better wages.  I'd much rather have cops who take the job for the money than for the power to enforce their will on the defenseless populous.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Officer who fired fatal shot in Breonna Taylor botched raid hired by a nearby county sheriffs office

Myles Cosgrove, one of the Louisville Metro Police officers involved in the 2020 shooting of Breonna Taylor, has been recently hired by the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office, Cosgrove’s attorney told CNN.

The move prompted the family of Breonna Taylor to release a statement expressing “disgust” and “disappointment” the officer who fired the fatal bullet in the botched raid was hired by a sheriff’s office only 50 miles away from Louisville.

Cosgrove – the detective whose bullet ultimately killed Taylor according to the Kentucky Attorney General – began working for the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office on April 20, Sheriff Ryan Gosser told CNN affiliate WAVE.

The sheriff told WAVE his office did a normal background check prior to hiring Cosgrove, and pointed out Cosgrove was never indicted.

Gosser said Cosgrove brings experience which will be useful in the county, WAVE reported.

Cosgrove’s attorney Scott Miller said his client was a scapegoat for the shooting death of Taylor.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, China said:

Cosgrove’s attorney Scott Miller said his client was a scapegoat for the shooting death of Taylor.

"They blamed my client simply because he pointed a gun at an unarmed woman, pulled the trigger, and killed her."

Middletown police officer suspended amid probe into assault on child in restaurant

A Middletown police officer remains suspended after he allegedly attacked a teenage boy during a communion party while off-duty.

The fun, light-hearted event Saturday afternoon at the Olde Erie restaurant on East Main Street turned into terror when the alleged violent attack unfolded.

“My understanding is it was not a pretty scene," said Middletown Mayor Joe DeStefano

DeStefano says the officer, who has 18 years on the force, assaulted a 14-year-old boy inside his wife's restaurant in Middletown during the party for another police officer’s child. He says it happened in front of dozens of frightened customers.

A witness tells News 12 the officer was drunk and verbally threatened to assault the boy before he slammed the child's face into a brick wall. The witness says the officer punched the teen, threw a glass and "whatever else was in reach" causing customers and staff to duck for cover.

DeStefano says the officer is about 6 feet 4 inches tall and that the boy appeared to be less than 5 feet tall.

News 12 is told the boy suffered minor injuries and is physically OK despite the ordeal.

The officer is suspended with pay under the rules of the department's contract until charges are filed, according to DeStefano.

So far, the officer has not been arrested.

Click on the link for the full article