Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

Police Urge Calm In Light Of Unspeakable Evil They Committed

MEMPHIS, TN—In an attempt to quell public outrage over the upcoming release of body-cam footage showing the deadly beating of Tyre Nichols by five of its officers, the Memphis Police Department continued to urge calm Thursday in light of the unspeakable evil they had committed. “I understand that this heinous atrocity beyond the comprehension of anyone with a shred of basic human decency might be upsetting to some, but we are asking everyone to please maintain their composure,” said police chief Cerelyn Davis, explaining that while it was regrettable that officers were mercilessly slaughtering innocents in the streets with complete disregard for their humanity, it was no excuse for causing a big commotion. “This barbaric instance of malice and savagery need not inspire uproar. I pray that cooler heads prevail during this time of unending death and misery being inflicted upon the powerless masses.” Davis went on to insist that any sign of unrest would only give the forces of unconscionable evil an excuse to impose even more wanton suffering on those who have no choice but to endure it.

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm not sure why you are being attacked, must be raw nerves over this latest disgusting example of abuse by the police. In all honesty that was the worst video of this kind I have ever seen and I remain absolutely disgusted.

But not all of us hate the police, many of us recognize there are a lot of good officers out there and appreciate what they do. And these thugs in Memphis makes it so much harder for the good cops who do care. And just because other jobs such as construction have higher death rates that hardly means this job is not dangerous.  A worker does not fear for his life when he breaks out his tools, but an officer most certanly thinks this way with every interaction with the public. 

When someone is holding a knife to their wife's throats who are those posters who are attacking you going to call for help?  

I'm not a fan of the cops, but I recognize that they're a necessary evil. That said, what I do hate is the lack of accountability such that they can expect to do things like this with impunity. If you go back a few years in this thread, I've posted research showing cops are rarely prosecuted or convicted even when they commit actual criminal acts like rape, domestic violence, drunk driving, etc.. As the enabler of this kind of garbage, it's time for police/corrections unions to be gutted so that serious reforms can be undertaken. The Dems need to go after the police unions the same way the Grand Oligarch’s Party has neutered other unions. That's not a panacea, but it's a good start and it would enable further reforms to be made without opposition from groups whose primary raison d'être is to shield police from accountability and squeeze public budgets to get them more money.

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I thought this about Chauvin, do these 5 actually feel as if they did anything wrong?  Wondering just what is going on in their heads today.  I totally agree that cops behave this way because they have always been protected, but do they recognize how horrible this was?  People that would do something like this me thinks are incapable of such a thought.  Wonder how their families feel.

No, they don't. The thin blue line mentality sees only us and them, and "them" aren't really seen as human so whatever "us" does to them is OK. Just make sure you turn off your body cam and check the area for security cams and witnesses. This is the real translation of all the pronouncements from various police departments around the country about horrific this incident was.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

33 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I haven't seen anyone do that, certainly not here.

I mostly see the “The job is dangerous” and “They want to go home and see their family too” arguments as excuses. Especially when invoked in instances like this where cops seek out and escalate the violence themselves. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I mostly see the “The job is dangerous” and “They want to go home and see their family too” arguments as excuses. Especially when invoked in instances like this where cops seek out and escalate the violence themselves. 

They're using something people are familiar with and afraid of, i.e., violent crime to make a logical leap that it's one of the most dangerous jobs and hence they deserve carte blanche. Yes, it is a dangerous job, but as you (or someone) pointed out, they're overstating the danger as propaganda against accountability, and many people, even those that aren't back the blue types, quietly agree without questioning it and hence are willing to turn a blind eye.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

A worker does not fear for his life when he breaks out his tools, but an officer most certanly thinks this way with every interaction with the public. 

Ok, but how can you not see that this exact mentality is a huge part of the problem? The whole "Warrior Cop" thinking and training that leads to "every interaction is a threat to your life, and you'd better be prepared to kill!" is exactly what leads into mistrust of the police. How do I know that THIS traffic stop isn't the one where some overworked, tired, and on-edge cop takes some word or tone the wrong way and decides to escalate a routine stop into a confrontation because "every interaction is a life threatening one"? Cops want to act like the soldiers in Starship Troopers but have us treat them like Sheriff Andy Griffith. I'm sorry, but that's just not how human interaction functions. After all, if you think I'm a threat to you, then you're going to treat me as such, and how I am not supposed to perceive that as a threat to me?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Llevron said:

Since the former officer is no longer engaged I see no reason to continue as well. And by the way I am not someone who sticks up for the police, I agree with most everything posted about them here. 

I'll just say he made it perfectly clear how he felt about this incident and those pigs. That poster was simply trying to explain that not every cop is like this, some actually do care and are good people. He certainly was not making excuses for the behavior of those 5 animals or any other cop who behaves this way, he was very critical of them.  And that job IS dangerous (and essential to our society) regardless of how we feel about the behavior of too many of them. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'll just say he made it perfectly clear how he felt about this incident and those pigs. That poster was simply trying to explain that not every cop is like this, some actually do care and are good people

My response to the "a few bad apples" argument is that I'll start believing it when I start to see YouTube videos where some unarmed suspect who had a broken taillight runs, and a cop pulls his gun and fires five times at the guys back. And his partner pulls his gun, points it at the first cop, and says "you are under arrest". 

And I'll say. We are starting to see movement in that direction. Cops literally committing assault, and getting prosecuted for it. Sometimes convicted. 

At least from where I am, it's possible that things are moving in the right direction. Even though it might not look like it. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Oy....... apparently I misplaced my STFU

It is hard to assess where we are now for people that have never seen it, never experienced it, never had to take it into their daily calculations but none of this new. Yanno what's new? Cellphones w/ cams. Posting it on the internet. Spreading the word beyond the local's ability to stifle it and massage the message.

There are a lot of people that grew up in the 70's in some textbook suburban community that say how peaceful and different it all used to be, totally unaware that their very existence was predicated on "suburban" life after their parents fled the cities and all "those people" (clutch pearls here).

Many other lived through it, didn't live around the edges of it, and got schooled in precisely what was going on and it changed them, changed their perspective, realtered their morality. I have friends, good friends of mine, people on a relatively short list of those I respect and trust, that in recent years messaged me with things like "FINALLY, some of y'all get to see what we have been dealing with forever!". Told 'em I know, they knew I knew but the rest were gonna know it now too. George Floyd wasn't the start of anything but it was the first time that a lot of those comfy suburbs got shown an intentional public execution by the police. Made it damned hard to cover with whatever figleaf people had been using "Oh, I didn't know/see/hear it, well what happened before..., he must have done something, yaddayaddashutthe****upyadda.....". Couldn't shrug that one off couldya? Couldn't deny the satisfied smirk on Chauvin's face couldya? Couldn't tell yourself he didn't know he was caught on cam couldya?

We are seeing the reality of it. 

This is being done in your name, with your tax dollars, by your politicians and leaders for you. They understand the subtext, they know that when people say "That's awful, don't do that" they are saying "Don't do that on camera, don't let me see it". There's a stark difference between those messages.

People rant and rave and tear their hair over the police. The police we have now are doing exactly what they have been hired and trained and led to do. The problem is not one cop or one department or one city, it is the disconnect between that reality on the street and those that choose to be intentionally ignorant of their role in supporting and enabling it.

Ignorance, particularly willful ignorance, is a luxury of wealth.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Since the former officer is no longer engaged I see no reason to continue as well. And by the way I am not someone who sticks up for the police, I agree with most everything posted about them here. 

I'll just say he made it perfectly clear how he felt about this incident and those pigs. That poster was simply trying to explain that not every cop is like this, some actually do care and are good people. He certainly was not making excuses for the behavior of those 5 animals or any other cop who behaves this way, he was very critical of them.  And that job IS dangerous (and essential to our society) regardless of how we feel about the behavior of too many of them. 

I never said he was trying to make excuses for those 5 in particular. 

On 1/27/2023 at 9:37 PM, skinsfan4128 said:

Folks often want to just jump on the officers as the "bad men/women" in these cases. My point to this is as an officer you have no way of knowing what the suspect may/may not do.

Let me ask this, what is your response to someone who you don't know, you're stopping for a potential violation of the law, and could be someone who is potentially violent?

Do you want to go home to your family? That's what goes through officers minds. 

These are excuses. Not for those 5. But those 5 are not the only bad cops. It’s not just the cops that are the problem, either. 

Generalizing people is bad. Every group of people has bad and good people. That y’all think it’s necessary to explain this fact to the people who are victimized by police based solely on generalizations is a real mind duck though. Not sure where to start with that. 

Yes. We, the black people that are habitually over generalized, acknowledge generalizations are bad. Especially large groups of people. Can’t believe y’all actually believe “not all of us are bad” is really an argument in favor of the police. It’s almost insulting. 

• Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Generalizing people is bad. Every group of people has bad and good people. That y’all think it’s necessary to explain this fact to the people who are victimized by police based solely on generalizations is a real mind duck though. Not sure where to start with that. 

Yes. We, the black people that are habitually over generalized, acknowledge generalizations are bad. Especially large groups of people. Can’t believe y’all actually believe “not all of us are bad” is really an argument in favor of the police. It’s almost insulting. 

Damn I love this board, stop a moment and appreciate the level of discourse we share here. Thank your local mod.

IMO so much of this type of behavior is reflexive, it is a learned defense mechanism, the fig leaf that people use and have been taught to use to keep from acknowledging the reality of it all. Not excusing it in the least, it's a crutch at best and a lie at worst, but it's common.

We are all broken

We all try to hide it, ashamed at what others might say

We focus on that rather than realizing that everyone else is broken and hiding too.

2 hours ago, LD0506 said:

Oy....... apparently I misplaced my STFU

It is hard to assess where we are now for people that have never seen it, never experienced it, never had to take it into their daily calculations but none of this new. Yanno what's new? Cellphones w/ cams. Posting it on the internet. Spreading the word beyond the local's ability to stifle it and massage the message.

There are a lot of people that grew up in the 70's in some textbook suburban community that say how peaceful and different it all used to be, totally unaware that their very existence was predicated on "suburban" life after their parents fled the cities and all "those people" (clutch pearls here).

Many other lived through it, didn't live around the edges of it, and got schooled in precisely what was going on and it changed them, changed their perspective, realtered their morality. I have friends, good friends of mine, people on a relatively short list of those I respect and trust, that in recent years messaged me with things like "FINALLY, some of y'all get to see what we have been dealing with forever!". Told 'em I know, they knew I knew but the rest were gonna know it now too. George Floyd wasn't the start of anything but it was the first time that a lot of those comfy suburbs got shown an intentional public execution by the police. Made it damned hard to cover with whatever figleaf people had been using "Oh, I didn't know/see/hear it, well what happened before..., he must have done something, yaddayaddashutthe****upyadda.....". Couldn't shrug that one off couldya? Couldn't deny the satisfied smirk on Chauvin's face couldya? Couldn't tell yourself he didn't know he was caught on cam couldya?

We are seeing the reality of it. 

This is being done in your name, with your tax dollars, by your politicians and leaders for you. They understand the subtext, they know that when people say "That's awful, don't do that" they are saying "Don't do that on camera, don't let me see it". There's a stark difference between those messages.

People rant and rave and tear their hair over the police. The police we have now are doing exactly what they have been hired and trained and led to do. The problem is not one cop or one department or one city, it is the disconnect between that reality on the street and those that choose to be intentionally ignorant of their role in supporting and enabling it.

Ignorance, particularly willful ignorance, is a luxury of wealth.

I have been saying long before George Floyd that I don't know what life is like in your skin.  And believe me I am no defender of the police.  Just because I lived in the cushy suburbs (yeah that wasn't offensive) that does not mean I don't care about what is happening in our streets to young AAs. I care a great deal even thought I personally have never experienced it.  . For me it was the OJ verdict that opened my eyes.  For the first time I saw injustice that I took personally, something you have felt your entire life, and I recognized it immediately.  Even though I was very angry I realized this was good for me to have a better understanding. That was nearly 30 years ago..  This is all more personal for you, I get that, but that does not mean the white folks in the burbs don't care or are ignorant as to what has been going on even though we may not have experienced it.  

The problem as I see it is the culture that protects thugs like those 5.  Other officers keep silent or they will be ostracized, people in authority regularly allow abuse to go unpunished. This is the big problem in my opinion.

However you are implying, no check that claiming, that recruits in the academy are trained to yank a black man out of his car and beat the crap out of him for the crime of DWB.  I'm not going to let you get away with that.  We saw how the departments in Wisconsin and Memphis handled those bad cops. Things are changing, but obviously we still have a long way to go. 

I am also a bit frustrated that you can't admit there are good officers out there who actually care about the community.  Sorry claiming every cop is a pig is not much of a different mentality than the racist believing every young AA male is a criminal.  Both are untrue and unfair generalizations. 

This is too funny, On another board I am currently battling with a racist A-hole who is taking the "he didn't comply" argument.  I am also debating with my best friend who claims BLM is a terrorist organization who promotes violence. 

On this board I feel as if I'm being portrayed as a guy like them and that couldn't be more far from the truth.  

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have been saying long before George Floyd that I don't know what life is like in your skin.  And believe me I am no defender of the police.  Just because I lived in the cushy suburbs (yeah that wasn't offensive) that does not mean I don't care about what is happening in our streets to young AAs. It's more personal for you, I get that, but be fair here.  

The problem as I see it is the culture that protects thugs like those 5.  Other officers keep silent or they will be ostracized, people in authority regularly allow abuse to go unpunished. This is the big problem in my opinion.

However you are implying, no check that claiming, that recruits in the academy are trained to yank a black man out of his car and beat the crap out of him. I'm not going to let you get away with that.  I am also a bit frustrated that you can't admit there are good officers out there who actually care about the community.  Sorry claiming every cop is a pig is not much of a different mentality than the racist believing every young AA male is a criminal.  Both are untrue and unfair generalizations. 

Hmmmmmm.....

Interesting that that's what you took from that

I am not going to accuse you of projecting or deflecting or anything else, I don't know you well enough and it would be facile for me to turn right around and do that so, I'll try to give you a more measured response, at least as long as my coffee holds out.

You assume one helluva lot there, you're building a case on facts not in evidence and any judge would nutpunch you in a heartbeat.

You assume you somehow know- mystically, magically, maybe there was a Ouija board involved- not believe but know, my opinion towards police, the LEOs out there doing that job.

Just a casual hint from an old guy that's gone thru good days that might kill your ass, you don't and you'd have been better off questioning that aspect of it rather than making judgements.

So, rather than starting some pointless internet catfight that no one wants to listen to, let's start over shall we?

Dave, that struck me as kind of raw, what did you mean there? What ARE you saying about the police?

Thanks, I'm glad you asked. I'll try to be clearer. I hate when I hear the police being labeled as a "necessary evil". That's horse****, they are a necessary, even vital public service and their job is hard and dangerous and grueling and I'm grateful that I don't have to do it. I have personally known many good cops, I have police in my family, my wife's father was a Chief of Police, and when I encounter them in RL I don't curl a lip, I try to acknowledge them and wish them a quiet day. Often they smirk ruefully and say something like "Yeah, thanks, as if" and I get that too. But they're trapped in this too. The public doesn't see that they are being broken here, traumatized, a cop that's been on the streets for a few years lives in a lowlevel constant state of PTSD. Some of the first beneficiaries of changing policing in this country would be the police themselves, them and their families. We do the same thing to cops that we do to vets. It is shameful.

But none of that exists in a vacuum. There is a huge system of wheels within wheels, a cascading slideshow of cause and effect that allows the public to disassociate itself from responsibility. The politicians say "Make us look good" and the mayor says "Make sure I get reelected" and the Chief says "Get out there and don't take any ****" and the cop on the beat is thinking "I hope I get home tonight" and the guy walking down the street sees the cop and his ass reflexively slams shut so tight the cop hears it and we get another one of these incidents. Tell me, who in the unholy **** won here?? Who benefitted from any of this? And who can change this so it stops happening?

I have watched this ungodly nightmare go on for decades. You can see me screaming down in the corner of a Hieronymus Bosch painting. I have seen the trauma on both sides, I don't want this, I never wanted this and I have yet to meet anyone that truly does, and yet it never ends, never even slows down. Didn't slow down after George Floyd, didn't seem to have any measurable effect on police behavior. What have all these "good cops" accomplished to even try to brake a little? Nothing, because I don't believe they can, they do not have to power and leverage to change this, and the bloodmobile rolls on.

And for the life of me I cannot comprehend how the AA community in this country still has tears to shed.

These things tear at me like hooks in my flesh. I see, I feel and I understand why empaths died out.

I feel for you trying to find some way to process this that doesn't make you bleed too.

I don't want anyone else to bleed, and I don't want to bleed either. But given the choice between bleeding and looking away, manufacturing some pretense for not allowing it to make me feel, I'll bleed. Again.

29 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is too funny, On another board I am currently battling with a racist A-hole who is taking the "he didn't comply" argument.  I am also debating with my best friend who claims BLM is a terrorist organization who promotes violence. 

On this board I feel as if I'm being portrayed as a guy like them and that couldn't be more far from the truth.  

Literally no one has said anything like that to you. It doesn’t help the discussion if you think for no reason at all that I think you are a racist asshole. What did I say to make you feel that way? Point it out so I can make sure I don’t do it in the future. 

for real I was gonna give you credit for parts of your most recent post. I can disagree with your opinion and still respect YOU dawg. I feel like I have done that. 

It’s not about you. I’m not trying to make it that way. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

Hmmmmmm.....

Interesting that that's what you took from that

I am not going to accuse you of projecting or deflecting or anything else, I don't know you well enough and it would be facile for me to turn right around and do that so, I'll try to give you a more measured response, at least as long as my coffee holds out.

You assume one helluva lot there, you're building a case on facts not in evidence and any judge would nutpunch you in a heartbeat.

You assume you somehow know- mystically, magically, maybe there was a Ouija board involved- not believe but know, my opinion towards police, the LEOs out there doing that job.

Just a casual hint from an old guy that's gone thru good days that might kill your ass, you don't and you'd have been better off questioning that aspect of it rather than making judgements.

So, rather than starting some pointless internet catfight that no one wants to listen to, let's start over shall we?

Dave, that struck me as kind of raw, what did you mean there? What ARE you saying about the police?

Thanks, I'm glad you asked. I'll try to be clearer. I hate when I hear the police being labeled as a "necessary evil". That's horse****, they are a necessary, even vital public service and their job is hard and dangerous and grueling and I'm grateful that I don't have to do it. I have personally known many good cops, I have police in my family, my wife's father was a Chief of Police, and when I encounter them in RL I don't curl a lip, I try to acknowledge them and wish them a quiet day. Often they smirk ruefully and say something like "Yeah, thanks, as if" and I get that too. But they're trapped in this too. The public doesn't see that they are being broken here, traumatized, a cop that's been on the streets for a few years lives in a lowlevel constant state of PTSD. Some of the first beneficiaries of changing policing in this country would be the police themselves, them and their families. We do the same thing to cops that we do to vets. It is shameful.

But none of that exists in a vacuum. There is a huge system of wheels within wheels, a cascading slideshow of cause and effect that allows the public to disassociate itself from responsibility. The politicians say "Make us look good" and the mayor says "Make sure I get reelected" and the Chief says "Get out there and don't take any ****" and the cop on the beat is thinking "I hope I get home tonight" and the guy walking down the street sees the cop and his ass reflexively slams shut so tight the cop hears it and we get another one of these incidents. Tell me, who in the unholy **** won here?? Who benefitted from any of this? And who can change this so it stops happening?

I have watched this ungodly nightmare go on for decades. You can see me screaming down in the corner of a Hieronymus Bosch painting. I have seen the trauma on both sides, I don't want this, I never wanted this and I have yet to meet anyone that truly does, and yet it never ends, never even slows down. Didn't slow down after George Floyd, didn't seem to have any measurable effect on police behavior. What have all these "good cops" accomplished to even try to brake a little? Nothing, because I don't believe they can, they do not have to power and leverage to change this, and the bloodmobile rolls on.

And for the life of me I cannot comprehend how the AA community in this country still has tears to shed.

These things tear at me like hooks in my flesh. I see, I feel and I understand why empaths died out.

I feel for you trying to find some way to process this that doesn't make you bleed too.

I don't want anyone else to bleed, and I don't want to bleed either. But given the choice between bleeding and looking away, manufacturing some pretense for not allowing it to make me feel, I'll bleed. Again.

As your first part was directed at me as I said I didn't want to go down this road in the first place, this is not the time or place to be sticking up for the police so you have a deal.

But I'm confused on the 2nd part. Were you addressing me? If so how on Earth did you know my name is Dave?  

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Literally no one has said anything like that to you. It doesn’t help the discussion if you think for no reason at all that I think you are a racist asshole. What did I say to make you feel that way? Point it out so I can make sure I don’t do it in the future. 

for real I was gonna give you credit for parts of your most recent post. I can disagree with your opinion and still respect YOU dawg. I feel like I have done that. 

It’s not about you. I’m not trying to make it that way. 

No no I didn't mean to imply anyone called me a racist.  I'm just pointing out I am debating people on the far right and people on the far left at the same time about the same event.  It's a weird place to be.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

As your first part was directed at me as I said I didn't want to go down this road in the first place, this is not the time or place to be sticking up for the police so you have a deal.

But I'm confused on the 2nd part. Were you addressing me? If so how on Earth did you know my name is Dave?  

Seriously? That's a riot, that was meant as you at ME. I'm in the Dave Club. 

You being a Dave too helps me understand better, thanks.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Oh we know allllll about you, Dave. 

15 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

No no I didn't mean to imply anyone called me a racist.  I'm just pointing out I am debating people on the far right and people on the far left at the same time about the same event.  It's a weird place to be.  

Ok cool. 👍

It is a weird place to be. In all fairness, with atleast me, you are arguing things I’m not really trying to imply. I don’t think ALL cops are bad. I really want to. It would make this make much more sense if all of them were just ****ing inhumane pieces of dog ****. But logically I know they are not. That’s why the argument that I DO think that pisses me off so much. 

2 of my very best friends in life are cops currently. We are not friends anymore but that’s about life, nothing to do with police work. I sympathize. Especially since both are black and we’re working in Baltimore when that **** with Freddie Grey (I think it was) went down. One of them pretty clearly has PTSD from the **** he has seen. It’s literally destroyed his life. 

I sympathize AND empathize with police. But that **** changes nothing for me. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Thumb up 1