Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some More Cops Who Need to Be Fired

Dan T.

5 officers charged after Black man paralyzed in police van

Five Connecticut police officers were charged Monday with cruelly neglecting a Black man after he was partially paralyzed in the back of a police van, despite his repeated and desperate pleas for help.

Randy Cox, 36, was being driven to a New Haven police station June 19 for processing on a weapons charge when the driver braked hard at an intersection to avoid a collision, causing Cox to fly headfirst into a metal partition in the van.

“I can’t move. I’m going to die like this. Please, please, please help me,” Cox said minutes after the crash.

As Cox pleaded for help, some of the officers at the detention center mocked him and accused him of being drunk and faking his injuries, according to dialogue captured by surveillance and body-worn camera footage. Officers dragged Cox by his feet from the van and placed him in a holding cell prior to his eventual transfer to a hospital.

“I think I cracked my neck,” Cox said after the van arrived at the detention center.

“You didn’t crack it, no, you drank too much ... Sit up,” said Sgt. Betsy Segui, one of the five officers charged.

Cox was later found to have a fractured neck and was paralyzed.

The five New Haven police officers were charged with second-degree reckless endangerment and cruelty, both misdemeanors. The others charged were Officer Oscar Diaz, Officer Ronald Pressley, Officer Jocelyn Lavandier and Officer Luis Rivera. All have been on administrative leave since last summer.

Click on the link for the full article

• Sad 1

Arizona Town To Pay $8 Million to Widow of Daniel Shaver, Shot While Crawling Unarmed Toward Police

The Arizona Republic reports that the town of Mesa, Arizona, reached an $8 million settlement last week with the widow of Daniel Shaver. Shaver is the unarmed man who was fatally shot while crawling down a hallway on his hands and knees toward police officers, begging them not to shoot him.

In January 2016, Mesa police responded to a report of a man pointing a rifle out of a hotel window. It was in fact Shaver showing a pellet gun that he used at his exterminator job to a couple other hotel guests in his room.

Police ordered Shaver out of the hotel room and onto the ground, with his hands behind his head. But instead of handcuffing Shaver, officers—bizarrely—started barking confusing and contradictory orders at him to crawl toward them. As a clearly terrified and drunk Shaver tried to crawl toward the police, he appeared to reach toward his waistband to pull up his sagging shorts. A Mesa officer, Philip Mitchell Brailsford, shot Shaver five times with an AR-15, killing him.

In 2017, a jury acquitted Brailsford of second-degree murder and reckless manslaughter. This is because juries are instructed to judge officers not by how a normal civilian would respond, but by how a reasonable police officer is trained to respond to a threat, real or imagined. As Reason's Jacob Sullum wrote, the acquittal showed that cops on trial benefit from a double standard: "Unlike ordinary citizens, they can kill with impunity as long as they say they were afraid, whether or not their fear was justified."

The Justice Department began investigating the shooting in 2018, but there has been no update on the case since then.

Brailsford was fired from the Mesa Police Department for violating department policy. At the time, Reason's Scott Shackford offered readers a friendly wager: "Would anybody care to bet that he tries either to get his job back in Mesa or to get a job with another law enforcement agency elsewhere?"

Shackford collected his imaginary winnings two years later. Brailsford indeed challenged his termination, and in response, the city cut a special deal that allowed him to be temporarily re-hired so he could retire with medical benefits and a disability pension. 

2 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

Of course fraud and theft are standard police operating procedure. But to have a judge be like like "yeah, that's totally fine, we'll sweep in under the rug, you rascals get out of here" like that is infuriating.

Police, prosecutors, and Judges are all in bed together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Me, I'd be looking forward to every defense attorney in the county using it to invalidate the officer's testimony. 

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury?  How do we know that that cocaine was in the defendant's possession?  Because the officer said it was?  We can't even be sure that the officer even worked that day."

• Thumb up 3

8 hours ago, Larry said:

Me, I'd be looking forward to every defense attorney in the county using it to invalidate the officer's testimony. 

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury?  How do we know that that cocaine was in the defendant's possession?  Because the officer said it was?  We can't even be sure that the officer even worked that day."

As much as people like to piss n moan about lawyers (myself included) when you see **** like this you kinda have to take their side

Damn you for making take the lawyers side!

5 hours ago, Larry said:

Who the judge gave a pass to, because everybody does it

Yeah, so can non-police criminals use that as precedent?  "You can't charge me for this crime, because it's standard practice in our industry."

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, China said:

Yeah, so can non-police criminals use that as precedent?  "You can't charge me for this crime, because it's standard practice in our industry."

I'm pretty sure this falls under the same precedent that ignorance of the law is not an excuse... unless you work in law enforcement or law writing.

Tampa police chief resigns after dodging traffic ticket

The police chief in Tampa, Florida, resigned Monday after using her position to escape a ticket during a traffic stop involving a golf cart driven by her husband.

Mary O'Connor submitted her resignation after an internal affairs review found she violated police department policy during the Nov. 12 stop by a Pinellas County sheriff's deputy.

During that stop — which was recorded on video by the deputy's body camera — O'Connor identified herself as the Tampa chief, flashed her badge and said “I'm hoping you will let us go tonight.”

The deputy issued only a verbal warning instead of a citation, according to the internal affairs review. The golf cart did not have a license tag, a requirement for when such vehicles are driven on public streets. O'Connor's husband, Keith, said they had just come from a restaurant and didn't usually drive the cart on streets.

The internal review found O'Connor violated regulations on standards of conduct and “abuse of position or identification.”

Grandmother sues cop who wrongly targeted her home using “Find My” app

In January, Colorado police officers confined a 77-year-old grandmother named Ruby Johnson for hours in a squad car without even offering a glass of water during a time when she was due to take her daily medications—why?

Nobody told Johnson what was going on when she opened her front door to a SWAT team assembled on her lawn. Much later, she found out about a stolen truck—reportedly with six guns and an iPhone stashed inside—wrongly believed to be parked in her garage based on no evidence other than her home being located within a wide blue circle drawn by a “Find My” iPhone app. Now she’s suing a Denver cop for conducting what she believes was an illegal search of her home based on what her legal team describes as either an intentionally or recklessly defective application for a search warrant that was “wholly devoid of probable cause.” Because of the allegedly improper raid, the retired US Postal Service worker had to “endure an unreasonable search and seizure, unlawful police confinement, and severe physical and emotional distress.”

“This illegal search has destroyed Ms. Johnson’s sense of safety and security in the home that has been her castle for 40 years,” Johnson’s complaint reads.

Police had been tipped off to raid Johnson’s home by a truck theft victim who had attempted to find his stolen vehicle by using his “Find My” app to determine the general area where his iPhone could be.

Renting a car, the victim drove around Johnson’s neighborhood, patrolling an approximately four-block radius pictured on a map generated by the app. The victim decided if his truck was anywhere in this vicinity, it was probably parked inside Johnson’s garage. The Denver Police Department officer assigned to follow up on the stolen truck, Gary Staab, then seemingly adopted the victim’s hunch as hard evidence, filing an affidavit requesting a search warrant that directly connected Johnson's address with the victim's reported "Find My" app evidence.

Within a few hours, seemingly without any independent investigation, Staab secured a search warrant and directed a SWAT team to search Johnson’s home, according to a complaint that Johnson filed last week. The search didn't turn up a truck, guns, or an iPhone, and Johnson’s legal team wrote in the complaint that Staab either knew, or should’ve known, that there was no valid nexus to connect Johnson’s home to the truck theft.

Vacationing Cop Puts The "Pee" In Chicago P.D.

A Chicago cop vacationing in Florida was arrested early yesterday after being caught urinating into an ice machine at a beachside bar, according to police who charged the visiting lawman with battery and disorderly conduct.

According to police, an employee of the Jimmy B’s Beach Bar in St. Petersburg was “attempting to get ice from the ice machine” around 12:30 AM when he discovered Henry Capouch, 30, “‘pissing’ on the ice in the machine.”

When the worker, Richard Klees, told Capouch to stop, the accused urinator cursed Klees and shoved him “a couple times,” according to an arrest affidavit. Capouch subsequently shoved a security guard, cops allege.

Upon arriving at the bar, which is part of the Beachcomber resort, police found Capouch and his girlfriend on the nearby sand. Capouch, cops charge, “was actively resisting” and “not obeying lawful commands while being detained.”

The FBI and state criminal investigation of East Contra Costa police officers began with allegations of cops conspiring to fraudulently obtain college degrees to collect pay bumps, this news organization has learned. 

What started out as suspected salary fraud quickly snowballed. On cell phones seized by authorities, investigators uncovered evidence of other potential crimes — and more officers to look into. 

Now, with indictments expected by year’s end, the probe has swelled to encompass at least a dozen Antioch and Pittsburg police officers, and a growing list of crimes including premeditated civil rights violations, falsifying reports, using and distributing steroids, using cocaine, and accepting bribes while on patrol