Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NCAA March Madness

AsburySkinsFan

RT @kbohls Texas officials are hopeful that they can introduce Shaka Smart as new head basketball coach Friday.

I read an article today about how Shaka said he wouldn't leave his kids and how loyal he was to them. Sadly those days may be coming to an end. 

Shaka turned down UCLA for ****'s sake. UCLA! 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2015/04/01/shaka-smart-to-texas-vcu-says-its-business-as-usual/

“I think it’s a pretty big deal that we don’t have football,” McLaughlin said in mid-March. “He knows that the most important that we have for our financial health at VCU is men’s basketball.”

Smart also feels a strong pull toward the players he recruits. Smart grew up without a father in Wisconsin and attended Division III Kenyon College because he developed a bond there with the coach, whom he considered a “father figure.” The coach left after one season, a devastating experience Smart has described as formative.

I think Texas is a smart (pardon the pun) place for Shaka to go.

It's a bigger program in a power conference, but he won't be under the pressure like he would have been at UCLA. Barnes lasted a long time at Texas without nearly the success Shaka has had at VCU. The boosters at Texas are more worried about football. All Shaka has to do is make a couple Sweet 16s every so often and he'll be loved there.

Shaka has one magic postseason run that he accomplished with players exclusively recruited and developed by the preceding coach. The remainder of his tournament bids have been underwhelming, to say the least. Shaka got very fortunate to get the VCU job and not vice versa. The VCU program was well into its ascension to prominence before he arrived. IMO, Shaka is gonna struggle in Texas while VCU will continue to headline the A-10...unless they make a terrible hire.

I grew up in Richmond. I have lived in Austin for the last 8 years. 

I am familiar with both cities and schools. It is not a hard choice. UT > VCU.

You really don't get the scope of UT sports until you are down here. They have their own ESPN channel for gods sake. This isn't some random college town with a big following like Penn State. We are a 11th largest metro area in the US - but don't have any professional sports. I honestly can't think of a similar situation in the entire country with a major college program in a top 15 city without a pro team of any sort.

Also, the UT medical school is tearing down the basketball arena after next year. UT will be getting a brand new facility. I have heard the facility will be well over 500 million, and closer to 850 million.  :o

Shaka will be a millionaire god living in one of the most desirable cities in America. I am probably going to buy season tix next year.

Sad day for a lot of people in Richmond. VCU has had success replacing good coaches who went on to bigger programs though. Jeff Capel, Anthony Grant, now Shaka. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Exactly. Vcu can replace him. They do a good job of finding coaches.

best of luck to him

Not really surprised Duke ran away with it. The Izzo advantage kind of goes away once he makes the Final Four and goes up against a team that has an equal coach with superior talent.

Wisconsin-Kentucky...I think Kentucky wins fairly comfortably but hoping for a close game.

Izzo proved once again he's an elite coach. He's s an official wizard for getting that team to the final four. A potential undefeated season would be fascinating to watch if UK wins, but I'm pulling for Wisconsin. They're going toe to toe so far. C'mon Badgers!

Archived