Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 NCAA March Madness

AsburySkinsFan

Neither, or both, whatever you want to call it. Made it pretty clear Kentucky was too good. Our only miniscule chance was a physical game and the refs made sure that wasn't going to happen.

Well, that certainly clears up any doubt that I had about your last two posts in the other thread.

The refs call the game they don't play the game, nor do they foul. You openly stated that the game WVU plays is physical... and leads to potential fouls.

You can't blame the refs. It is a rare thing in most sports.

I think, despite the loss, this has to be one of the better coaching jobs that Huggins has done so far at WVU.

He took a team without a proven set of scorers, one who was picked to finish 6th in the B12, and made them into a Sweet 16 team.

Yeah, the blowout to UK at the end sucked.

But so what, they are losing Staten and Browne..and picking up a few new kids and returning the rest of the team. I suspect they will be a tourney team again, next year. 

Outside of a few big name teams (UK, Duke, Arizona, and too a lesser degree, KU)..that's about all you can hope for these days. 

I'll choose to believe the announcers (two of them former big name NBA guys) who said the fouls at the beginning of the game weren't fouls. That put Devin Williams on the bench in the first 5 minutes of the game. 

Do I think it would have changed the outcome? No. But it was definitely noticeable that the refs were trying to influence the game at the beginning (no, I do not mean in UK's or WVU's favor).

Well, that certainly clears up any doubt that I had about your last two posts in the other thread.

The refs call the game they don't play the game, nor do they foul. You openly stated that the game WVU plays is physical... and leads to potential fouls.

Ok I guess what I'm trying to say is that games are always called differently. The style of calls took away the one thing we do well, and it exposes our major flaw in that we don't have plan b.

We lost by 40 and were overmatched. I'm not blaming refs for loss. But they seemed to be determined that it wasn't going to be a physical game. , We have no adjustment for that which is a team flaw. Fatal flaw

A foul is a foul is a foul. I wish there didn't seem to be different styles of officiating on a game-by-game basis. I guess that's the human element though. Still, it leads to the inevitable suspicions and confusion

Agreed. I think if the umd game was called like the uk game....umd may have won

Another case where I think sort of opposite positions on ES are both correct. You can get into minutiae of how the officiating in the UMD/WVA may have led to Trimble getting dinged on that missed pick call, and all the other shots he took before Dodd's kick to the head finally put him out. It's pointless though. WVA won because that's the way the game was called, and that's the way it is. They won. That's all there is to it.

Congrats to WVU for making it that far.

Last night was atrocious.  I didn't want to watch because I knew the outcome was going to be bad.

Good run with mediocre talent.

We always seem to run into a team that can't miss.  Hope getting skull drug on national television doesn't kill our recruiting.

Hope getting skull drug on national television doesn't kill our recruiting.

I doubt it will. If anything, it might force WVU to go after more shooters and scorers. 

They have Esa Ahmad (Rivals has him at #71 nationally) coming in next year - another lanky tall Forward..he looks like the real deal, to me.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/westvirginia/basketball/recruiting/player-Esa-Ahmad-140790;_ylt=AuEOQS7XLiqTs5KpiUqlPcEQu5B4

..and they only lose 2 starters next year - unfortunately it's their guards, Staten and Browne.

I can see WVU getting back to the 16..but probably not much farther as long as they keep getting put in UK and/or Duke's bracket! 

Archived