Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

I agree, I don't need to hear the opinion of everybody on every topic. We have the internet for that. I want to hear more guests, beat writers, athletes from out teams. Not dudes saying "am I on?...." before a "real quick"...and then a 45 second ramble that makes now sense. 

• Like 1

That's the other problem I have with Sports Talk Radio, letting people call in to express their views.  I'm not trying to denigrate anyone who disagrees with me, but I seriously think the majority of people who call into Sports Radio shows are literally dumb, or have no clue. I seriously cringe whenever hosts take calls from either 980 or 106.7.

I'm up in the Baltimore area where we have 105.7 the Fan....there's a caller...."Bob from Parkville". I've heard him calling into radio shows for a decade. Never has a good point. Never provides any value. Just inane ramblings of an old man. It's like it's a joke with the phone screener to make the hosts deal with him. By and large...i hate sports talk. The only sports talk i really enjoyed was the NFL channel on sirius (when i had a subscription).

Probably the same way you talk about a game that's played once a week. In fact, I would say there's more to talk about. Many other cities seem to do it.

Some cities have a baseball tradition though - we have a decade. The Nats are clearly 3rd/4th of the 4 major sports in this area in terms of interest. There is such a small segment of listeners who could digest what is being said, let alone want to listen to it. Radio stations need to cater to ratings...

Nats are the #2 team in town. Clearly 3/4th isn't accurate. I don't see Wizards or Caps hats around like we see Nats hats. Baseball is cheaper and more social for people to go to in the middle of the summer. Just a different animal.

Still, on that topic. I don't know how good of sportstalk radio it makes. But a few segments on different sports seems better than most segments on one sport/team.

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants

Some cities have a baseball tradition though - we have a decade. The Nats are clearly 3rd/4th of the 4 major sports in this area in terms of interest. There is such a small segment of listeners who could digest what is being said, let alone want to listen to it. Radio stations need to cater to ratings...

That's just false. They are far and away more popular than the Wizards--depending on what the Caps do--they would be neck-and-neck with them. The Wizards TV ratings have plummeted, and their attendance in middling.

You're not even a Nationals fan, so of course they're not going to as interesting to you.

Edited by Riggo#44

That's just false. They are far and away more popular than the Wizards--depending on what the Caps do--they would be neck-and-neck with them. The Wizards TV ratings have plummeted, and their attendance in middling.

You're not even a Nationals fan, so of course they're not going to as interesting to you.

But I wouldn't find that much daily detail about the Orioles interesting either. I've been a fan of the O's as long as I've been a fan of the Skins. Once the playoffs hit, that's a different topic. During the O's playoff run in 2014 I couldn't get enough chatter, but it's not the same in June/July/August. 

If you want to say they are more popular than the Wizards, that's fine but I think this area still migrates to a competitive basketball team more than a competitive baseball team. Granted the Nats are so much better as an organization and a threat to win a WS, so you're probably right. When the Caps and Nats are good, I think the Caps are comfortably ahead of them just due to how long they've been around. I don't understand it (I'm not a hockey guy) but the passion is there in DC for the NHL. 

• Like 1

But I wouldn't find that much daily detail about the Orioles interesting either. I've been a fan of the O's as long as I've been a fan of the Skins. Once the playoffs hit, that's a different topic. During the O's playoff run in 2014 I couldn't get enough chatter, but it's not the same in June/July/August. 

If you want to say they are more popular than the Wizards, that's fine but I think this area still migrates to a competitive basketball team more than a competitive baseball team. Granted the Nats are so much better as an organization and a threat to win a WS, so you're probably right. When the Caps and Nats are good, I think the Caps are comfortably ahead of them just due to how long they've been around. I don't understand it (I'm not a hockey guy) but the passion is there in DC for the NHL. 

again, I don't agree. Especially with the Caps current playoff history. People are in a wait-and-see mode for them.

Baseball is such an in-person fan friendly thing. I received a text yesterday from a former co-worker asking if a group wanted to meet up at a Sunday Nats game in a few weeks. It's just a social thing. Not just the Nats. I've seen it in Bmore and Pittsburgh. More families. Some events to bring your pets. Some themed days for Star Wars or the 80s. If you have a baseball team in your town that competes through the summer. They are going to be a bigish deal. NBA/NHL are on break. NFL is in camp. Baseball has the spotlight. When the Nats came to town, my Stepdad from this area and grew up on the Senators was so geeked. I had no idea he was into baseball. He had lightly followed the Cardinals because he went to College in St. Louis. 

If the Caps win it all. We'll see what happens.

The Wizards get people excited every once in a while....usually in the dead of winter. 

Agree to disagree--in 2014, when the Nats were in the midst of their 10-game win streak, Grant and Danny did an all-Nats format until the streak ended. I enjoyed the hell out of that--so it can be done.

• Like 2

Again, I think this goes back to the right personalities. Grant and Danny do a decent job talking baseball. Especially with them being fans of two different teams. I couldn't see the Junkies doing it, nor Dukes or Russell, or many people on 980.

Again, I think this goes back to the right personalities. Grant and Danny do a decent job talking baseball. Especially with them being fans of two different teams. I couldn't see the Junkies doing it, nor Dukes or Russell, or many people on 980.

Galdi does a great job on his weekly baseball show. But even that illustrates my point. He splits an hour per week between 2 teams. Granted he could do that a little more often, but to expect a couple hours per day seems like a reach. 

• Like 3

Flukes is a sensitive little **** who is threatened by anyone and everyone. 

For real.  By chance, played pick-up hoops w/ Chad and Oscar when the Big O & Dukes show was on the air in VA (just happened to be on the court w/ friends when they show up).  Oscar, couldn't have been nicer, chatted w/ all the non-radio show people.  Chad was totally arrogant, like he is on air.  Wasn't a baller, either...

That is too bad about Kevin and Rock.  Back when JFK was in that format, K&R had the best show, IMO.

So Kevin and Rock put together a good show. Think Big O and Flukes if Big O and Flukes knew **** about sports. They start to build a following. What happens? They're relegated to weekends and other **** slots and completely buried. It only made sense if...Flukes feels threatened. Yup. Rock eventually confirmed it was Flukes' doing. On here and elsewhere.

What?!

I loved Kevin and Rock. Everything about it was great. I couldn't figure out why they couldn't get regular air time, and why it eventually fell apart.

God damnit. What is wrong with that station? If it wasn't for lucking into the Junkies (who did leave at one point) that station wouldn't have anything worth a crap.

I hope CBS sells Chad Dukes now that they're dumping radio stations.

• Like 1

oh i'm irate now, why the **** does chad dukes have pull anywhere that dude is a **** show on so many levels

kevin and rock was 10000x times better than anything chad's done, and that includes the big o and dukes show and i liked that show.

Edited by tshile

Galdi does a great job on his weekly baseball show. But even that illustrates my point. He splits an hour per week between 2 teams. Granted he could do that a little more often, but to expect a couple hours per day seems like a reach. 

He's a analytics guy but can explain why some are more important than others. It's quality.

I think if you have a 2 hour show in this market, you could spend 15-20 min on Baseball. 15-20 on Hockey. 15-20 on Hoops and still have an hour for the Skins if they wanted. a 3 hour show? Have more guests (not callers). 

• Like 1

Galdi and Tim Murray do great jobs with their Saturday shows on baseball and Murray now on hockey.

In 2014 I enjoyed Murray's 9-10 AM show on the Nats in early October (which sadly didn't get to run its course because of Matt Williams)

It absolutely can be done and done well. There is enough talent to do more then "RG3 tweeted out "i am a brown now"" 

• Like 1

That's a podcast, not their radio show. Their radio show is basically Redskins talk. 

We've been over this before, if you like the Redskins and want to hear about them 365 days a year, go ahead and listen to Sports talk radio because that's what you're going to get. But if you're like me and you care about other sports, and you don't want to hear some guys talk to a baseball player for 5 minutes before going back to football...just listen to podcasts. I mean there are so many good Nats and baseball podcasts at this point that it makes perfect sense

FYI Nats fans should download Navy Yard Notes podcast. While the production value does leave a bit to be desired, they still manage to talk about the nitty gritty of Nats baseball. And to me one hour of Nats talk is better than 25 minutes of Redskins talk, 30 minutes of commercials, and 5 minutes of Caps / Nats talk. 

Edited by ixcuincle

That's a podcast, not their radio show. Their radio show is basically Redskins talk. 

We've been over this before, if you like the Redskins and want to hear about them 365 days a year, go ahead and listen to Sports talk radio because that's what you're going to get. But if you're like me and you care about other sports, and you don't want to hear some guys talk to a baseball player for 5 minutes before going back to football...just listen to podcasts. I mean there are so many good Nats and baseball podcasts at this point that it makes perfect sense

FYI Nats fans should download Navy Yard Notes podcast. While the production value does leave a bit to be desired, they still manage to talk about the nitty gritty of Nats baseball. And to me one hour of Nats talk is better than 25 minutes of Redskins talk, 30 minutes of commercials, and 5 minutes of Caps / Nats talk. 

First off, this notion that sports talk radio only talks about the Skins is a bit of a myth. I listen to all the shows on 980 and its been a LOT of other stuff lately. Sheehan and Loverro 12-2 have regularly spent the entire first hour talking everything but the Skins. Now they have the segment Redskins at 1 where everyday there is some Skins talk at 1 but that's about it.

Secondly, D.C. isn't the only city that's like this. I lived in Minneapolis for about a year and its basically Viking talk all year round and this is when the Twins and TWolves were both good teams. Almost every major city in America is football first with the exception of Boston and maybe LA(LA isn't really a sports town at all to be honest).

• Like 1

From DCRTV 

New Line-Up At ESPN 980 - 4/8 - Red Zebra sports talker ESPN 980, WTEM, will announce a new line-up today. The new shows will begin May 2. Al Galdi will take the 5 AM to 7 AM slot. With Kevin Sheehan and Chris Cooley from 7 AM to 11 AM. Tony Konheiser moves an hour later to the 11 AM to 1 PM slot. Scott Jackson, Brian Mitchell, and Rick "Doc" Walker will air from 1 PM to 4 PM. Steve Czaban will be paired with Andy Pollin from 4 PM to 7 PM. "This was all forced on the station by Chris Cooley, who demanded a move to a new time slot," a source tells us. "He is good friends with [WTEM and Redskins owner] Dan Snyder, and therefore can control the programming decisions on the station".....

So I am listening on tuesday as Czaban whines about how he didnt stay up to watch the NCAA final because of "choices he's made".. meaning his early morning show.. so he went to bed.

Galdi wanted to know why he didn't DVR the 2nd half and watch in the morning.. and Czaban whined he would rather sleep that extra hour.

well, why am i supposed to listen to this guy talk about sports, exactly?

he doesn't know.. he could not be bothered to watch the championship, of all things, even though it is his JOB to talk sports.

Couldn't be bothered because his "life choice" to discuss SPORTS on the radio conflicts with him actually knowing anything about the sports he must discuss.

I don't get his schtick. "I know nothing and don't care."

Color me sarcastically overjoyed to have him and Andy Pollin back. Glad I'm out of the car by then.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

So I am listening on tuesday as Czaban whines about how he didnt stay up to watch the NCAA final because of "choices he's made".. meaning his early morning show.. so he went to bed.

Galdi wanted to know why he didn't DVR the 2nd half and watch in the morning.. and Czaban whined he would rather sleep that extra hour.

well, why am i supposed to listen to this guy talk about sports, exactly?

he doesn't know.. he could not be bothered to watch the championship, of all things, even though it is his JOB to talk sports.

Couldn't be bothered because his "life choice" to discuss SPORTS on the radio conflicts with him actually knowing anything about the sports he must discuss.

I don't get his schtick. "I know nothing and don't care."

Color me sarcastically overjoyed to have him and Andy Pollin back. Glad I'm out of the car by then.

~Bang

Andy Pollin is like a ****roach that won't go away.  He's like listening to a 70 year old woman do sports.  Let's do birthdays and lists of crap that happened in the 1970's nobody cares about.

• Like 4