Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

11 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Jumped in the car to run out about 45 min ago. Bram and Hoffman were both on commercial. Put on 106.7 and it's just Danny talking in circles by himself for 10 min. Something about college football and then the Washington offense. 

Then I realized. He's alone today and without training wheels, still can't ride a bike. It was embarrassing. 

Why won't they have a fill-in co-host when one guy is out? Is it a money thing? 

I caught a 10 minute rant about him saying how much he loves the sound of his voice in his head and how he’s always waiting for a chance to respond to anything people say with a personal anecdote so he can talk about himself in real life.  

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I was in the car for a little bit today while Grant and Danny were on, and they were both on there so not sure maybe Danny wasn't on for a full day.

It was Danny who I heard. Not a peep from Grant during the entire bit and then after the break. 

4 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

It was Danny who I heard. Not a peep from Grant during the entire bit and then after the break. 

Oh **** I can't read, my bad lol.

I could also be mixing it up with yesterday to be honest, been a hectic few days.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So Craig Hoffman is off and Doc filled in yesterday and man, it was a tough listen.  I appreciate  this is, and has been, his schtick for many years, but he had the angry, crotchety old man bit turned up to 11.  It was actually unpleasant to listen to.  Some guy called in and innocently said it was good to have him back and Doc just went off on this poor guy.  He seemed to take offense to the implication that he hasn't been around.  But Doc just was insulting the caller and giving him a hard time.  And not in a good natured, just having some fun with the guy kinda way.  At least that's how it seemed.  Poor guy was flustered and never really got to speak much or say what he called to say because Doc's rant took all his time.  He even was trying to apologize a little because he didn't think what he said was gonna set Doc off.  I lasted another segment and had to bail cuz it wasn't much fun to listen to.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, justice98 said:

So Craig Hoffman is off and Doc filled in yesterday and man, it was a tough listen.  

Yeah. Hoffman has been doing a really good join IMO. I like his style and format better than Grant and Danny already. Putting Doc on feels like he's just affordable and available. Because even on his last show on 980 and on the sidelines during games. You could tell he doesn't really do his homework. He just wants his intangible toughness methaphors and nicknames for guys he doesn't remember who they really are.

Maybe I’ve just caught Hoffman at some inopportune times, but twice now - I’ve caught him ****ting on his callers.  Not the typical dumbass 980 callers, but folks he simply cutoff because he said that he had already discussed x, y or z. 

Beyond that, he comes off as pretentious and holier than thou.  

I just can’t like this dude.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

So Craig Hoffman is off and Doc filled in yesterday and man, it was a tough listen.  I appreciate  this is, and has been, his schtick for many years, but he had the angry, crotchety old man bit turned up to 11.  It was actually unpleasant to listen to.  Some guy called in and innocently said it was good to have him back and Doc just went off on this poor guy.  He seemed to take offense to the implication that he hasn't been around.  But Doc just was insulting the caller and giving him a hard time.  And not in a good natured, just having some fun with the guy kinda way.  At least that's how it seemed.  Poor guy was flustered and never really got to speak much or say what he called to say because Doc's rant took all his time.  He even was trying to apologize a little because he didn't think what he said was gonna set Doc off.  I lasted another segment and had to bail cuz it wasn't much fun to listen to.

Hahaha yeah I was listening to him for a bit because the boring ass Nats game was on 106.7 and holy **** it was tough.  I ended up turning it off as well after the 15th time he kept talking about "back in my day" bull****...

41 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Maybe I’ve just caught Hoffman at some inopportune times, but twice now - I’ve caught him ****ting on his callers.  Not the typical dumbass 980 callers, but folks he simply cutoff because he said that he had already discussed x, y or z. 

Beyond that, he comes off as pretentious and holier than thou.  

I just can’t like this dude.

Craig was a good beat guy or whatever IMHO but I can’t imagine him carrying a show by himself. He’s the type that can annoy me even though I often agree with him just because of how he presents his opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Craig was a good beat guy or whatever IMHO but I can’t imagine him carrying a show by himself. He’s the type that can annoy me even though I often agree with him just because of how he presents his opinion.

I dont think Hoffman has done a show yet where him being a beat guy or having journalist pedigree hasn't been mentioned. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Heisenberg said:

Is Doc still calling half the guys their college’s nickname? “You don’t want to be on the receiving end of a hit from ‘The Razorback’ and if you get by him you’ve got the big ‘Buckeye’ coming in to finish you off!” 🤣

At least that shows some level of understanding of who the guy is and where he came from (assuming he's correct about where they played in college). My friends and I used to crack up when we paid more attention at the more generic nicknames like Caveman or Tarantula or something. 

"Ohhhh Freddie Mitchell doesn't want none of this with the Triceritops roaming back there!!!" even though it's just Ifeanyi Ohalete or Matt Bowen and we're down 20-3 to McNabb and the Eagles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

At least that shows some level of understanding of who the guy is and where he came from (assuming he's correct about where they played in college). My friends and I used to crack up when we paid more attention at the more generic nicknames like Caveman or Tarantula or something. 

"Ohhhh Freddie Mitchell doesn't want none of this with the Triceritops roaming back there!!!" even though it's just Ifeanyi Ohalete or Matt Bowen and we're down 20-3 to McNabb and the Eagles. 

"I call him, the Chipmunk because he grabs those yards and stores them in his cheeks"

Yeah dude, you and nobody does that. You just made that up because you know nothing about the guy. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, justice98 said:

I think I missed it, but Reese Waters is gone from 980?  

Hopefully. I never understood why they hired him. For a guy who does comedy he was dreadfully boring to listen to.

I really like the guy that co hosts with Chris Russell. Russell is...meh, but his co host is pretty good.

18 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

If they had a show together, what would it be called?

Radio Poison?

Sportstalk for the Deaf?

I've said before that as Thom LaVerro gets riled up the pitch of his voice goes so high only the neighborhood dogs can hear him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

As someone who hasn't listened to sports talk radio in about 5 years but occasionally dips into this thread to check it out...I'm wondering, is the goal of sports talk radio to have all the listeners hate the shows but have them tune in anyway?  If so, job well done, DC sports talk radio.  

Me neither. I work a strange schedule and if I'm in my car the Monday morning after a Skins game, I might check out what the Junkies are saying for comedic value, but that's about it. I have no idea why there should be two sports talk stations in this area......or are there three now?

4 hours ago, justice98 said:

I think I missed it, but Reese Waters is gone from 980?  

I think he is gone. They have listed on the website in his slot "Team 980 Middays".  I don't remember an announcement of the change, just a new dude in the slot.