Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is a FRESH donut from Dunkin' Donuts a myth?

RonArtest15

Just curious....

No joke, my biggest gripe with DD was how dry their donuts were.  I went there this morning after a 5+ year hiatus.  The only reason I went was because my daughter wanted a pink donut, so I figured I'd give them another try.  Nope, still stale/dry.  And this was at 9:30am.  There should be no excuse for this.  Just like how the only redeeming quality of Red Lobster are the cheddar biscuits, I'm now thinking that the coffee is the only saving grace for DD, cause their donuts ain't it.  Anyone else feel this way?

Yes. Dunkin Donuts is garbage.

It's funny, because they became the top dog in the donut business, not from making good donuts, but from simply selling more coffee than anyone else. That was the infamous genius of their marketing. No improvement to donuts. Simply sell slightly better coffee and sell way more of it to the blue collar workers.

Here's an interesting article about Dunkin. If you're watching pennies, quality and flavor is gonna suffer. Plus, like Starbucks, coffee is the star profit maker. 3 cents for a cup, a penny for coffee, throw in some overhead and sell the thing for two bucks. 

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2014/09/17/the-secret-world-dunkin-donuts-franchise-kings/pb2UmxauJrZv08wcBig6CO/story.html

These posh people have problems with DD and Papa Johns and mainstream food

It's not that bad people

I like DD, wife takes the kid there all the time.  Coffee is great.  I remember telling you I think Papa Johns sucks, but that's just because I've eaten so much of it over the years, way too much of it, that I'm sick of it and can only eat it every so often (usually at ball games - it's that or Domino's).  

My beef with Papa Johns, they haven't changed anything or tried to improve, imo.  Domino's is my favorite chain pizza right now.  DD, I could eat them every day, no problem.  It's doughnuts lol.

I went there this morning after a 5+ year hiatus. 

Speaking of a hiatus, and kind of off the topic of donuts, I have gone on a similar multi-year hiatus from CiCi's Pizza, because their food used to badly upset my stomach years ago. Like yourself, I am tempted to go back and give them another chance. But could anyone save me the trouble, and tell me whether their pizzas are still bad ?

And back on the topic of donuts, how the heck did Krispy Kreme have to close down so many stores, when their donuts totally crush the competition ??

What a good donut place one northern Va? I haven't gone into any of these places in a while and really just stop in for coffee every other month if I happen to be near one one I want a cup. I don't really know the difference between a good donut and a bad one.

Nope, still stale/dry. I'm now thinking that the coffee is the only saving grace for DD, cause their donuts ain't it.  Anyone else feel this way?

I think DD is banking on the fact that you dip their dry, disgusting donuts into their coffee, and thus masking their awful taste, with artificial moisture and flavor from the coffee

What a good donut place one northern Va? I haven't gone into any of these places in a while and really just stop in for coffee every other month if I happen to be near one one I want a cup. I don't really know the difference between a good donut and a bad one.

I've had good luck with Wegmans out in Gainesville (I think).  I've also heard GREAT things about Sugar Shack in Alexandria. 

There's also Krispy Kreme out in Alexandria/Dupont as well.

DD is basura. 

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20140329/ISSUE01/303299985/inside-dunkin-donuts-biggest-doughnut-bakery

Inside Dunkin' Donuts' biggest doughnut bakery

In a low-slung brick building in an industrial park in Bedford Park, under a flight path of nearby Midway International Airport and across the street from an International Paper Co. plant, Karim Khowaja is preparing your breakfast—and the breakfast of a few hundred thousand people from as far away as Kenosha, Wis., and Valparaiso, Ind.

Mr. Khowaja is one of 39 Dunkin' Donuts franchisees who pooled their financial resources a few years ago to create Unified CML LLC, the largest doughnut factory in the country for Dunkin' Brands Inc., the country's largest doughnut retailer. Over the course of a year, the crew produces 90 million glazed, powdered and jelly-filled pastries. That's enough to feed everyone in Soldier Field a dozen doughnuts a day every day for four months.

Except for a faint smell of sugar and yeast, the bakery is unremarkable from the outside. Step inside the 100,000-square-foot building, and it looks like a suburban supermarket that sells nothing but baked goods. “Doughnuts as far as the eye can see,” says Amish Patel, Unified CML's co-chairman and managing director at SevaBrands LLC in Chicago, which owns eight Dunkin' locations.

*Click Link For More* 

Lauers Supermarket in Pasadena Md . Donuts and Danish Made fresh everyday. Marshmallow donuts are to die for. DD right next door .rarely go in there but when I do I never thought the donuts were stale.

Damn now I am craving a marshmallow donut .

You should check out Donut Shack on Rt 2 North in Severna Park.  

When I was a kid, one of my best friends discovered that there was "buried" treasure in the parking lot of the strip mall near his house. The DD there used to toss out any of their donuts that sat for some length of time, maybe an hour or two. So, I'd get permission to sleep over and we'd go raid their dumpster and eat donuts until we were sick. Man, those were the good old days. I remember how angry and yes, hurt we were when they put a stop to it.

From that experience, I've loved Dunkin's donuts ever since. At least until several years ago when I noticed the quality suddenly wasn't as good any more. I figured corporate bean counting was to blame but I was thinking maybe they were shipping in frozen donut dough or something. This is obviously much worse. I might as well buy something prepackaged from the supermarket if that's what they're doing. OTOH, I don't really need to be eating donuts anyway so maybe they've done me a favor.

Since I can get good coffee in a lot of places and other than the donuts, DD's food items literally taste like burnt plastic, I'm probably done with them.

there was "buried" treasure in the parking lot......The DD there used to toss out any of their donuts that sat for some length of time, maybe an hour or two. So, I'd get permission to sleep over and we'd go raid their dumpster and eat donuts until we were sick.

Seriously ?

You ate donuts out "buried" in a dumpster ?

Like a literal dumpster - not the figurative dumpster that they refer to as DD.

Maybe the dumpster had just as much to do with you all getting sick, as the donuts did

When I was a kid, one of my best friends discovered that there was "buried" treasure in the parking lot of the strip mall near his house. The DD there used to toss out any of their donuts that sat for some length of time, maybe an hour or two. So, I'd get permission to sleep over and we'd go raid their dumpster and eat donuts until we were sick. Man, those were the good old days. I remember how angry and yes, hurt we were when they put a stop to it.

From that experience, I've loved Dunkin's donuts ever since. At least until several years ago when I noticed the quality suddenly wasn't as good any more. I figured corporate bean counting was to blame but I was thinking maybe they were shipping in frozen donut dough or something. This is obviously much worse. I might as well buy something prepackaged from the supermarket if that's what they're doing. OTOH, I don't really need to be eating donuts anyway so maybe they've done me a favor.

Since I can get good coffee in a lot of places and other than the donuts, DD's food items literally taste like burnt plastic, I'm probably done with them.

You really gonna talk about the quality declining at DD's over the years comparing to the doughnuts you ate out of a dumpster...........

tumblr_inline_nj20hmRPYu1r6ug5a.gif

I have a similar story. We tried the whole "check out the dumpsters behind DD" thing that was going around high schools at the time. Stale and nasty, so we took a garbage bag full to one of the county parks nearby and blew them up with firecrackers. A much better use for them.

Archived