Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Grilling and Cooking Thread

steve09ru

Last night was Omaha Steaks sirloins. I didn't want to mess with them too much, wanted em to still taste like steak. So I broiled em in butter with my version of Longhorns prairie dust (seasoned salt, garlic powder and pepper).

They came with a time chart, so I followed it for medium rare. My assortment came with stuffed baked potatoes, so I made them too. 

Everything was awesome. Steaks were perfect and delicious. Potatoes were really good, too...hubby thought the steaks looked small, but they were just right...plenty of food. A+

• Like 2

So Super Bowl Sunday is shaping up to be a drink/food extravaganza!!  My friend Larry is going to the Mt. Airy Meat locker to get burger and steaks (Where Sunshine Burger gets their meat).  I'm fixing Macaroni Salad and Kings Hawaiian Spinach Dip, my wife is making Mexican Dip. A german friend is bringing German Potato Salad and I'm supposed to Pick up 18 bottles of Whiskey from my friend Prav before Sunday.  Looks like it might turn out  to be a real humdinger!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

So Super Bowl Sunday is shaping up to be a drink/food extravaganza!!  My friend Larry is going to the Mt. Airy Meat locker to get burger and steaks (Where Sunshine Burger gets their meat).  I'm fixing Macaroni Salad and Kings Hawaiian Spinach Dip, my wife is making Mexican Dip. A german friend is bringing German Potato Salad and I'm supposed to Pick up 18 bottles of Whiskey from my friend Prav before Sunday.  Looks like it might turn out  to be a real humdinger!!

After 18 bottles of whiskey, I don't think it'll matter what kind of food you have, it'll seem good anyway.

• Haha 2

@AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy

Butcher Box arrived today.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_59.jpg.c3a44249ded6b4bd7a3a0dfd504b5bad.jpg

Read some online reviews that people had meat arrive that was semi thawed out.  The stuff I got was frozen solid.  

What was inside:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5b.jpg.f11ca27895ced2b493976b7a9f28ef85.jpg

There were two of these.  I cut one in half and made it for dinner tonight, it was damn good.  Put a little Old Bay on it, put it in my air fryer and it came out damn delicious.  Thick, juicy, great flavor.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5c.jpg.2c2ea3a27663324c33ff02795e0ae4b7.jpg

Two strip loin steaks.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5e.jpg.68f2d81ee92881dc37d3de53b8d4f296.jpg

The aforementioned free wings.  3 pounds of wings sounds a lot more than it really is.  I'll be thawing these out later and cooking them soon.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_60.jpg.019ca2848eeb1f81eee9d40ddc149cb5.jpgUNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5f.jpg.8bf101af1a39e72e9bbd7d847c7ff022.jpg

Chuck roast.  Pretty good size.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_61.jpg.f9bf3469dc1089f40484b9e88ce3dea2.jpg

Burger meat

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_62.jpg.fc8c02e2bca6acca803409b5c02f409f.jpg

Chicken breast.

It's not a ton of food.  Quite frankly, if I wasn't trying to cut back on portion intake a losing weight, I could house all of this in a week or so.  The goal is to see how long I can make it last.  That said, I'm certainly not going to try to adhere to how many portions the labels say each selection has as that's not realistic.

But if the pork loin I had this evening is any indicator, it'll be really good stuff.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2019 at 12:29 PM, HOF44 said:

Good tip on where Sunshine gets their meat from.  Can you get their blend there?

My first attempt with a bone-in brisket. My sister's friend owns a farm and she gave us this.  It weighed around 7lbs.

Talking about knowing your food source, here is the steer, Uno. 

It was, hands down,  the best brisket that we've ever had. I dry brined it, injected with beef stock, and sprinkled it with some "Big Bad Beef Rub" (Google it for the recipe).

I smoked it @ ~ 240° for 10 hours. It stalled at 180° and I foiled it with a splash of apple cider, pulled it at 200°, then rested it in a cooler for a couple of hours. 

FB_IMG_1549216789798.jpg

20190203_063906.jpg

20190203_124912.jpg

20190203_194729.jpg

OpMy first attempt with a bone-in brisket. My sister's friend owns a farm and she gave this.  Talking about knowing your food source, here is the steer, Uno. 

It was, hands down,  the best brisket that we've ever had. I dry brined it, injected with beef stock, and sprinkled it with some "Big Bad Beef Rub" (Google it for the recipe).

I smoked it @ ~ 240° for 10 hours. It stalled at 180° and I foiled it with a splash of apple cider, pulled it at 200°, then rested it in a cooler for a couple of hours. 

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • Like 11

On 1/29/2019 at 7:59 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Thanks @Spaceman Spiff!

In my mathematically challenged brain, that seems like a pretty fair price for the amount of food you get. 

I look forward to your steak/burger reviews. 

I tried the Butcher Box burger meat this week.  Really good quality meat.  It doesn't say the fat content percentage on the package but it's definitely not lean burger meat.  It cooks like it's got high fat content and certainly tastes like it, too.  Tastes like something I'd get from The Organic Butcher in McLean.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I tried the Butcher Box burger meat this week.  Really good quality meat.  

Thanks brother! I’m gonna try to place an order in the next couple months.

You’re the first person who crossed my mind upon hearing the sad news about Frank Robinson. RIP to a true legend of the game and an Orioles icon.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 1:23 PM, DCSaints_fan said:

If you put sausage in seafood gumbo, its basically a wet jambalaya

I luv jambalaya though. :pint:

okra or no is the real question with seafood gumbo

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

I like okra in it especially as a thickening agent. It gives a strong veggie taste but breaks down well so you don't have big chunks of okra. 

Shrimp, crawfish, catfish filets 

I like okra, but like gumbo with or w/o.

File powder or more roux will thicken it up.

throw some smoked oysters and crab in there

• Thanks 1

Made my hotwings last night, baked not fried. I make these with wings and boneless skinless thighs. These work best if you have a convection oven, but a standard oven works just fine. Just adjust your cooking time until the breading and skin is crispy. These disappeared so quickly last night that I missed the photo, but here's the recipe.

All-in time was 2.5 hours including prep, fridge rest time. When these are done they fall off the bone! Substitute preferred oil, adjust spice to taste, but it's easy to over due the cayenne.

47156082702_5723ef3398_b.jpg

47208122281_2dc334afc5_b.jpg

• Like 3