Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC.com: Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

Slateman

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikegiglio/hostage-taker-pledged-allegiance-to-isis-in-video?utm_term=.haYEA6oAm#.hvWXlwbxN

Hostage Taker Pledged Allegiance To ISIS In Video

French police reportedly confirmed that Paris attacker Amedy Coulibaly pledged allegiance to ISIS in a video that surfaced on the internet after his death on Friday.

The amateurish video begins with footage of Coulibaly exercising, followed by a pan of a small arsenal of guns. He then appears before the camera in front of a white sheet and an ISIS sign. (One commenter on Twitter suggested that it looked like he was pledging allegiance inside “a blanket fort under the dinner table.”)

Calling himself Abou Bassir AbdAllah al-Ifriqi, Coulibaly said in French that he swears allegiance to ISIS’ self-declared caliphate.

He then claimed that his attacks on a French policewoman and a kosher market in Paris were connected to Wednesday’s deadly rampage at the Charlie Hebdo newspaper, which was carried out by brothers Said and Cherif Kouachi. “We did things a little bit together, a little bit apart,” he said of the supposed coordination.

There have been no confirmed links between Coulibaly and ISIS. Nor has ISIS claimed responsibility for his attacks. This raises the possibility that Coulibaly was a version of a “lone wolf” attacker: an aspiring terrorist with some connections in the jihadi worlds who acted largely on his own.

Analysts tracking ISIS questioned whether Coulibaly had any real ties to the terror group. “The video shows no signs of being produced by ISIS and it was not released through one of their official outlets, although it will probably be picked up by the official outlets at some point soon,” said J.M. Berger, a fellow at the Brookings Institution and the author of an upcoming book on ISIS. “It is also unclear whether Coulibaly did what he did with explicit coordination with the Kouachis, or if he saw an opportunity and took it. But the nature of the video suggests he did not act with direction from ISIS.”

“I think the ISIS angle is nothing more than this Coulibaly pledging allegiance to them,” said Clint Watts, an analyst with the Foreign Policy Research Institute and former FBI agent. “Don’t give these guys too much credit; a lot of these guys are just idiots. Coulibaly is in the network, ISIS is the thing to pledge to, [and] in the absence of a connection you pledge to the most popular group.”

http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/162579

In Israel, Concern over Fate of France's Jews

For many in Israel, the deadly attack on a kosher supermarket in Paris was further evidence that France is becoming hostile territory for Jews and authorities are unable to protect them.

"I'm angry with French Jews. Why are they hesitating to pack their bags and come here? France has become a dangerous place for the Jews," said Manuel Allal, a 26-year-old French-Israeli sitting in an Internet cafe in Jerusalem.

Such comments reflect a growing consensus in Israel over threats to France's large Jewish community, which is increasingly on edge after a series of anti-Semitic incidents including Friday's hostage-taking at the supermarket in eastern Paris.

For many the incident, which ended with four shoppers dead and an Islamist gunman killed in a police assault, brought back memories of deadly shootings in southern France in March 2012.

The Toulouse attacks -- which saw Islamist Mohamed Merah shoot dead three children and a teacher at a Jewish school -- appears to have set off a wave of French immigration to Israel which last year hit a record high of 6,600.

And many believe the Paris slayings will only accelerate the trend.

The latest bloodshed, which began on Wednesday when two Islamic extremists gunned down 12 people in a raid on the offices of satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, is being seen as something of a watershed.

"French-Israelis are in shock. This is the straw that has broken the camel's back," said Avi Zana, director of AMI, an organization that helps French Jews integrate into Israel.

"They are going to put pressure on their families to join them and we can expect that the number of Jews looking to leave France will grow," he told Agence France-Presse.

Since the attack, Israel has openly called on French Jews to move to the Jewish state.

"To all the Jews of France, all the Jews of Europe, I would like to say that Israel is not just the place towards which you pray, the state of Israel is your home," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Saturday in remarks that were not well received by Paris.

It would be easier for me to form an opinion about this horrible news from France if I thought the media could be trusted to report accurate facts . . . 

I obviously support the free press, and I obviously think that murderers should be brought to justice, but there are things that could come of this tide of political sentiment that frighten me.

http://news.yahoo.com/arson-attack-hamburg-newspaper-printed-charlie-hebdo-cartoons-072635062.html

Attack on German newspaper raises tension before anti-Islam rally

A Hamburg daily that reprinted satirical cartoons from French newspaper Charlie Hebdo was hit by arsonists at the weekend, raising security concerns in Germany on the eve of a planned mass rally against Islam in the city of Dresden.

Islamist militant attacks on Charlie Hebdo and a kosher deli in Paris this week that killed 17 people have fuelled fears of similar assaults in other European countries and prompted a warning from German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere.

"I am very concerned about well-prepared perpetrators like those in Paris, Brussels, Australia or Canada," he told the newspaper Bild am Sonntag. There were about 260 people in Germany regarded as dangerous Islamists, he said.

Bild am Sonntag said U.S. intelligence agencies had tapped conversations of senior Islamic State (IS) members in which they said the Paris attacks were the start of a series in Europe.

In Hamburg, two people were arrested after an incendiary device was thrown into a building of the Hamburger Morgenpost daily, setting some documents on fire, police said.

The Morgenpost had reprinted cartoons from Charlie Hebdo in a show of solidarity with the French weekly known for its mocking broadsides against Islam and other religions, and with the principle of freedom of expression overall.

The Hamburg newspaper said there were no people in the building at the time of the attack, and investigators were checking for any connection with the cartoons.

While Chancellor Angela Merkel took part in the silent march in Paris, around 18,000 people attended a rally in front of the French embassy in Berlin, police said, with people holding up slogans like "JE SUIS CHARLIE" and "NO TO RACISM, NO TO PEGIDA".

The Paris attacks have also raised fears of a boost to anti-immigration movements such as Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamisation of the West (PEGIDA). It holds weekly rallies in Dresden with around 18,000 people attending last Monday.

However, that was dwarfed on Saturday by an anti-racism demonstration in the same east German city which attracted 35,000 people.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/01/11/anti-muslim-marches-germany/21590413/

German anti-Islam rally Monday to raise new tensions

A massive march by anti-Islam nationalists planned for Monday threatens to raise new religious tensions — and potential violence — in Europe in the wake of last week's terrorist attacks in Paris by radical Muslims.

Germany's justice minister on Sunday urged the group called Patriotic Europeans Against the Islamization of the West (PEGIDA) to cancel its demonstration, but the group vowed to go ahead with a rally that will commemorate the 17 people killed in the Paris attacks.

The group has held weekly rallies to protest Germany's growing immigrant population, mainly Muslims fleeing the war in Syria in recent years.

"It's outrageous they want to commemorate victims that until last week they insulted as liars," Justice Minister Heiko Maas told the popular tabloid Bild, calling for the group to cancel Monday's rally.

"Obama, Kerry absent from unity rally in Paris"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/11/politics/obama-kerry-paris/index.html

Can someone please explain to me how the leaders of all the other major allied nations were able to attend this unity march in Paris and we can't even send a Cabinet-level official to show our support (instead we send our Ambassador to France, Jane Hartley, and Holder who was even in Paris at the time was there for security meetings, not the rally)?  And here I didn't think Obama's foreign policy approach/decisions could be more inept.  I understand our government is working closely with France on this issue.  But to not make the effort to show high level public support on the world stage is un-freaking-believable to me.

Facepalm

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/.premium-1.636557

Hollande asked Netanyahu not to attend Paris memorial march

French President Francois Hollande conveyed a message to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over the weekend asking him not to come to Paris to take part in the march against terror on Sunday, according to an Israeli source who was privy to the contacts between the Elysees Palace and the Prime Minister’s Office in Jerusalem. The fact that this message had been conveyed was first reported by Channel 2.

After the French government began to send invitations to world leaders to participate in the rally against terror, Hollande’s national security adviser, Jacques Audibert, contacted his Israeli counterpart, Yossi Cohen, and said that Hollande would prefer that Netanyahu not attend, the source said.

Audibert explained that Hollande wanted the event to focus on demonstrating solidarity with France, and to avoid anything liable to divert attention to other controversial issues, like Jewish-Muslim relations or the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Audibert said that Hollande hoped that Netanyahu would understand the difficulties his arrival might pose and would announce that he would not be attending.

The source noted that one of the French concerns - not conveyed to representatives of the Israeli government - was that Netanyahu would take advantage of the event for campaign purposes and make speeches, especially about the Jews of France. Such statements, the Elysee Palace feared, would hurt the demonstration of solidarity the French government was trying to promote as part of dealing with the terror attacks.

According to the source, Netanyahu at first acquiesced to the French request. In any case, the Shin Bet security service unit that protects public figures considered the arrangements for the prime minister’s security to be complex. And so, on Saturday evening, Netanyahu’s people announced that he would not be flying to Paris because of security concerns. Netanyahu told the French he would come to France on Tuesday for a Jewish community event.

The French apparently sent the same message to Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas. Like Netanyahu, Abbas acceded to the French request and released a strange statement about the same time Netanyahu released his, that he would not be attending the event because of the bad weather.

However, on Saturday night, Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman and Economy Minister Naftali Bennett announced their intention to go to Paris and take part in the march and meet with the Jewish community. When Netanyahu heard they were going, he informed the French he would be attending the march after all.

According to the source, when Cohen informed Audibert that Netanyahu would be attending the event after all, Audibert angrily told Cohen that the prime minister’s conduct would have an adverse effect on ties between the two countries as long as Hollande was president of France and Netanyahu was prime minister of Israel.

Hollande's anger at Netanyahu was evident during the ceremony held Sunday evening following the march at the Grand Synagogue in Paris, an event attended by hundreds of members of the local Jewish community.

Hollande sat through most of the ceremony, but when Netanyahu's turn at the podium arrived, the French president got up from his seat and made an early exit.

We don't have any info here about that, it only comes from israeli medias over the internet so far. I don't know how much credit they have or not.

I really dislike Hollande but on this photo at the synagogue of Paris yesterday it seems that they are no tension between them.

Netanyahu welcomes the "firm position" of France against anti-Semitism (google translated)

706868-benjamin-netanyahu-et-francois-ho

Some people questioned the presence of representatitves from Hungary, Turkey, Russia, and Egypt where media freedom remains poor and under scrutiny. Some others said that was not the time to start polemics during this rally, and that the presence of those people might be a sign they will start to change their ways to deal with the freedom of speach in their own country.

I don't know why John Kerry wasn't there, he is a well known francophile, spent time in France have relatives there. "Vive la France", writes Kerry

Anyways thank you so much for your support, God bless America.

I'm putting this in here rather than starting a new thread, or sticking it in SHF's "solidarity" thread. It goes to the dialogue about the level ignorance on relevant and fundamental aspects (culture/history/religion etc) or lack of accurate data (ala "I have my own facts and I'm 100% sure of them") on such issues, and how that never stops many people from disseminating their grandiose analyses.

I guess it's relevant to the ongoing nature of the golden age of 24-7 TN news "journalism."

Bloomberg: Britons Mock Fox News ‘Terror Expert’ Over Muslim Claims

Britain’s legion of amateur satirists reacted with delight to comments by a “terrorism expert” on America’s Fox News channel who said many parts of the U.K., including its second city Birmingham, were Muslim-only areas.

Steve Emerson, who is described on his website as “one of the leading authorities on Islamic extremist networks,” made the announcement in a Jan. 10 interview with the channel on whether Europe was a safe place for non-Muslims.

“In Britain, it’s not just no-go zones, there are actual cities like Birmingham that are totally Muslim where non-Muslims just simply don’t go in,” Emerson said. “Parts of London, there are actually Muslim religious police that actually beat and actually wound seriously anyone who doesn’t dress according to Muslim, religious Muslim attire.”

This came as a surprise to the 78 percent of Birmingham residents who don’t describe themselves as Muslim, and Emerson was quickly mocked on Twitter. People posted pictures of a Mecca Bingo venue as supposed evidence of Birmingham’s Islamic domination, with the hashtag “#foxnewsfacts”. Someone else claimed the city’s BT Tower was in fact the world’s tallest minaret.

Raheb Othmani, a Tunisian engineer, reworked the offer of support made to Muslims in Australia after a gunman took hostages in Sydney in December: “If you are a non-Muslim and would like to visit Birmingham #illridewithyou”

Complete Idiot’

Prime Minister David Cameron, whose Conservative Party held its annual conference in Birmingham last year, weighed in during a television interview today. “When I heard this I choked on my porridge and I thought it must be April Fool’s Day,” Cameron told ITV News. “This guy is clearly a complete idiot. He should actually look at Birmingham and see what a fantastic example it is of bringing people together.”

Emerson subsequently apologized for his remarks. “I have clearly made a terrible error for which I am deeply sorry,” he said in a statement on his website. “There was no excuse for making this mistake and I owe an apology to every resident of Birmingham. I am not going to make any excuses.”

One doesn't even have to know much about the UK to tell Emerson is FOS.  

I am continually amazed by the cajones some people have to throw out insane claims like that.  I always wonder was going through their minds and if they ever, even if just for a split second, think people are going to verify their wild claims.  Unreal (Emerson's claims, not that Fox News would broadcast a dip**** like this).

I have to admit, Katy, I don't know if I even know  :P who Emerson is---btw, while I was forced to watch the GG awards last night in order to form a more perfect union, I did enjoy the moments (and words) where the crowd showed solidarity re: the Paris incidents. 

I also heard an excellent (brief) PBS report (radio) on the history of violent attacks on French Jews as part of their reflecting on these killings, and that would likely be another good thread topic in this over-arching topic of the cultural/religious/economic themes humans pull from as reasons to hate and kill each other.

i think this writer does as good a job as any ive seen in drawing distinctions between peaceful and radical muslims (which is very important), yet recognizing how violence perpetrated by religious figures can lead radical followers to act likewise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fathima-imra-nazeer/muslims-must-reconsider-t_b_6451612.html

Muslims are not a monolith and follow many varied interpretations of Islam. Many Muslims are rightfully outraged by the attack on Charlie Hebdo way more than they would ever be offended by some caricature of Muhammed. Unfortunately, there are some Muslims who are quick to justify this atrocity as well.

So, when Islamist extremists are willing to repeatedly threaten and kill over blasphemous cartoons or other 'insults' to Islam, it is fair to ask if there is a connection between certain elements in the belief and practice of Islam and this kind of behavior. It is a fair question that needs to be answered.

"Obama, Kerry absent from unity rally in Paris"

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/11/politics/obama-kerry-paris/index.html

Can someone please explain to me how the leaders of all the other major allied nations were able to attend this unity march in Paris and we can't even send a Cabinet-level official to show our support (instead we send our Ambassador to France, Jane Hartley, and Holder who was even in Paris at the time was there for security meetings, not the rally)?  And here I didn't think Obama's foreign policy approach/decisions could be more inept.  I understand our government is working closely with France on this issue.  But to not make the effort to show high level public support on the world stage is un-freaking-believable to me.

Facepalm

My bet is - we weren't invited

i think this writer does as good a job as any ive seen in drawing distinctions between peaceful and radical muslims (which is very important), yet recognizing how violence perpetrated by religious figures can lead radical followers to act likewise.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fathima-imra-nazeer/muslims-must-reconsider-t_b_6451612.html

Muslims are not a monolith and follow many varied interpretations of Islam. Many Muslims are rightfully outraged by the attack on Charlie Hebdo way more than they would ever be offended by some caricature of Muhammed. Unfortunately, there are some Muslims who are quick to justify this atrocity as well.

So, when Islamist extremists are willing to repeatedly threaten and kill over blasphemous cartoons or other 'insults' to Islam, it is fair to ask if there is a connection between certain elements in the belief and practice of Islam and this kind of behavior. It is a fair question that needs to be answered.

There are a lot of issues with that article.

She miscontextualizes quite a bit of the Quran and the Hadiths including Shaih Al-Bukaris hadith which she uses to claim that the Prophet encouraged killing for those who insulted him. This entirely misrepresents why Kab bin Ashraf was killed. He was killed because he broke a treaty and encouraged an attack on the Muslim community betraying the defense pact. Additionally she uses Hadiths of quesitonable veracity that the majority of Muslims don't necessarily follow.

She also implies in a few places that Muslims aren't really sorry or don't really condemn the attacks like where she writes "

There are also the halfhearted condemnations with thinly veiled victim blaming." when the "victim blaming" was done by a Catholic group. She also links to Anjem Chadoury to put out the point that Muslims are quick to justify the attack, I think it is slightly disengenous to link to someone who has no real following or influnce in the Muslim community as a way to say well some Muslims condone the attacks when she doesn't contextualize that statement at all.

Additionally, She entirely misconstrues Yari Qadhis statement claiming that "Even American Muslim clerics like Yasir Qadhi have made the point that blasphemers can be killed 'only' in an Islamic state and once they have been convicted by a court of law, as if such a conviction would provide a degree of acceptability to kill those who insult Islam or Muhammed.". His actual argument is that even if one were to believe that blasphemy is punishable by death (this is all hypothetical and conditional which she strips away) that "And even for those who believe that the penalty for blasphemy should be death: by unanimous consensus of ALL the scholars of Islam, this must take place after a legitimate trial, by a qualified judge, appointed by a legitimate Islamic state. Under NO circumstances does Islam allow vigilante justice, for to open this door leads to chaos, confusion and bloodshed. " So no he is not saying that blasphemers can be killed. She has entirely misrepresented his statement. 

Also this "Accusations of racism or false analogies with racist cartoons do not make much sense either. Islam or Muslim is not a race, it is simply an ideology. Muslims belong to almost every race and ethnicity." should immediately send up red flags as it dismisses hatred and bigotted views about a religion as not something important because Islam isn't a race. To dismiss very real prejudices and bigotry with a statement like that is pretty messed up in my view.

I think that her point about criticism and reflection on Islam and parts of Islam being repressed (especially in some Muslim countries) is a good one but she misses the reason why that repression exists and that is largely because Islam is political in those places. Saudi Arabia isn't necessarily banning discussion about Islam and blasphemy because they are offended its largely because they are a repressive society who for political reasons ban most forms of free speech, same with places like Pakistan. 

I think there are some good points brought up in the article but there is just a lot of stuff in there that is shady or just plain wrong and that makes me uncomfortable.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_289563/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=jtIAv0BF

Anti-Islam rally draws big crowd in German city of Dresden

A weekly anti-Islam rally in the eastern German city of Dresden drew its biggest crowd yet on Monday, after organizers declared it a tribute to the victims of the terror attacks in Paris.

Organizers said 40,000 people participated in the march, while Dresden police put the figure at over 25,000 people - still considerably more than the 18,000 who came last week.

The group, which calls itself Patriotic Europeans against the Islamization of the West, or PEGIDA, had asked supporters to wear black ribbons as a show of respect for the 17 people killed in the French capital last week.

"The terrible acts of Paris are further proof that PEGIDA is needed," said Lutz Bachmann, one of the organizers of the Dresden rally.

PEGIDA's critics, including all of Germany's mainstream parties, have accused the group of exploiting the attack to stir up race hatred.

Some marchers held up placards with the names of the French journalists killed by Islamic militants in Paris. Others carried banners condemning the "lying press" that they claimed misrepresents their cause. One poster showed Chancellor Angela Merkel wearing an Islamic headscarf.

One marcher, Markus Bauer of Bautzen, said he had come to express his disgust about what he called the "ruling class."

"Wall Street controls them all. They are responsible for all the wars and people know that," he said.

Who is this person and why did nobody edit her nonsense? Good grief there are so many outright untruths and inaccuracies in here

I think there are some good points brought up in the article but there is just a lot of stuff in there that is shady or just plain wrong and that makes me uncomfortable.

Her name misleads people and it is clear what her agenda is, in particular with her lack of proofs in this article. Some of it is just fundamental stuff that takes a few seconds in google to debunk. 

I have to admit, Katy, I don't know if I even know  :P who Emerson is---btw, while I was forced to watch the GG awards last night in order to form a more perfect union, I did enjoy the moments (and words) where the crowd showed solidarity re: the Paris incidents. 

I also heard an excellent (brief) PBS report (radio) on the history of violent attacks on French Jews as part of their reflecting on these killings, and that would likely be another good thread topic in this over-arching topic of the cultural/religious/economic themes humans pull from as reasons to hate and kill each other.

Dear Lordie, you were forced to watch the Globes?  No union is worth that to me! :lol:  Totally joking.  But yeah, I heard many of those in the entertainment industry in attendance went out of their way to show support for France (and freedom in general); that's pretty awesome. 

My bet is - we weren't invited

I find that hiiiiiiighly unlikely, particularly with Kerry's connection to France.  Even if we weren't, heck even if we were supposedly told not to come, we should have pulled a Netanyahu.  Bottom line, there is no excuse for not sending at least a cabinet level official to France to publicly show our solidarity with that nation and other western nations in the fight against radical Islam.  Even the White House is admitting that now (of course while simultaneously giving 101 excuses as to why they couldn't make it).

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/13/arts/international/charlie-hebdo-staff-prepares-next-issue.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

Charlie Hebdo’s New Issue Has Muhammad on the Cover

At about 9:10 on Monday evening, laughter and a round of applause broke out among the surviving staff members of Charlie Hebdo, followed shortly by cries — joyous if ironic — of “Allahu akbar!”

The group was cheering Rénald Luzier, the cartoonist known as Luz, who on the umpteenth try had produced what the editors thought was the perfect cover image for the most anticipated issue ever of this scrappy, iconoclastic weekly, which will appear on Wednesday. It showed a figure of the prophet Muhammad holding a sign saying, “Je suis Charlie” (“I am Charlie”), with the words “All is forgiven” in French above it on a green background.

“Habemus a front page,” Gérard Biard, one of the paper’s top editors, said with a smile, emerging from the staff’s makeshift newsroom and deploying the phrase used to announce a new pope. To find the right image, “We asked ourselves: ‘What do we want to say? What should we say? And in what way?’ ” Mr. Biard said. “About the subject, unfortunately, we had no doubt.

Since Friday, just two days after gunmen had slaughtered 12 people at the paper, about 25 members of the staff had been huddled in the offices of the left-wing daily Libération, under heavy police protection, to work on the next issue. They were still in shock, and confounded to have suddenly become heroes of free speech to the same political and religious establishments they had long mocked.

As the journalists wrestled with grief, there were flashes of mordant humor. Cartoonists sketched while describing how hard it was to go on after the horror in their offices; others lashed out in anger at the killers. The main question looming over the moment: How could they possibly be funny at a time like this?

“We don’t know how to do anything but laugh,” said Mr. Biard, who was on vacation the day of the shootings.

Who is this person and why did nobody edit her nonsense? Good grief there are so many outright untruths and inaccuracies in here

Her name misleads people and it is clear what her agenda is, in particular with her lack of proofs in this article. Some of it is just fundamental stuff that takes a few seconds in google to debunk.

I agree with j that there are at least potential flaws. But I think there are legit points, as well.

It does appear that she is a former Muslim, so while she may have an 'agenda', she also may know what she's talking about.

I didn't realize one link was to that choudry character, who has been rightly discredited.

I will look into the veracity of the hadith in question, but what I've found in such researching is that any controversial hadith is almost always dismissed as 'questionable' when questioned.

Archived