Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC.com: Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

Slateman

http://mashable.com/2015/01/10/muslim-man-hid-people-in-fridge-during-kosher-market-attack/#:eyJzIjoidCIsImkiOiJfeWhldnZlZW05ZTQyNWs1NyJ9

Muslim man hid customers in a fridge during siege of Paris kosher market

Stories of heroism have begun to emerge in the wake of Friday's deadly attack at a kosher market in central Paris. One Muslim man, who worked at the store, is being hailed for reportedly hiding several customers in a fridge during the siege.

The attack, described by French President Francois Hollande as an anti-Semitic attack, left four hostages and the attacker dead after an hours-long standoff with police.

Lassana Bathily, who worked in the Hypher Cacher market, was at the store when the gunman stormed the building. He is described in local reports as a 24-year-old Muslim.

Bathily was interviewed by French broadcaster BFMTV and recounted how he ushered customers into a refrigerator as the gunman entered the market Friday afternoon.

According to Bathily's account, when the attack on the store began, a group of people ran into the basement of the store. He led them into a refrigerator and turned the machine off, before attempting to get help.

"When they ran down, I opened the door [of the refrigerator]. There were several people who had turned to me. I turned off the light, I turned off the freezer.... I closed the door, I told them stay calm, I'm going out," said Bathily, who BFMTV described as humble when retelling the story.

He escaped the store and, once safe, gave the police information about what was going on inside the building. All of the people in the refrigerator were rescued, according to French media. Bathily is seen in this French language report speaking about the attack.

SHF, 

are you saying that you arent familiar with any hadith in which mohammed committed or sanctioned violence and/or killing (in a non-self defense situation)?

there are a number of such hadith that i can find, but i'd like your input. i'm aware that critics can take things out of context to suit their purposes. 

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-lebanon-france-rally-20150111-story.html

Lebanese gather to remember the victims of Paris attacks

A diverse crowd of more than 150 people gathered on Sunday in Beirut's downtown Samir Kassir Square in solidarity with the massive march in Paris after last week's terror attacks, with the Lebanese raising pens and toting “Je suis Charlie” signs.

There were also signs saying “Je suis Ahmet,” a reference to the Muslim policeman killed in the series of attacks last week.

Other signs said, “No Hezbollah, No ISIS, No Terrorism, Yes freedom” and in Arabic, “I am Charlie and Gebran and Samir,” the square’s namesake columnist and his editor Gebran Tueni, both journalists killed by car bombs here in 2005.

“We tend to forget there is not just Charlie – there is Gebran and Samir, people who died to express their thoughts,” said Michele Laugel, 23, an unemployed writer holding the Arabic sign who said she came to the gathering because she is half French and feels strongly about freedom of expression.

“It just really is disturbing that this could happen in the [French] capital – no one is safe,” Laugel said.

Nearby, 8-year-old Fairouz Cabirou held a handmade “Je suis Charlie” sign aloft as she sat on her father’s shoulders.

Her father is a Christian from southern France, her mother Muslim from Lebanon. After following news of the attacks this week, the family of four drove in from the suburbs for the gathering.

“It was a way to do something in a moment when you don’t know what to do,” said her father, Patrice Cabirou, 41, a high school history teacher, adding that he felt the crowd was defending the French principles of liberty, equality and brotherhood.

This may be in poor taste but it needs to be posted.

amLZZP6_460s_v1.jpg

this is what the Teju Cole article mentioned.

Not just that, but some real stuff goes on in this country and people stay silent. (looks at Golden Globe awards)

It doesnt surprise me, but it is a bit annoying.

Roddy Doyle recounts the conversation of two Dublin men in the pub ...

-We’re yeh ever up in Ikea, were yeh?

-Oh, for **** sake.

-We got ****in’ lost up there.

-Same here. We went up for a desk for one o’ the grandkids an’ we ended up buyin’ a ****in’ hammock an’ three ****tail shakers. An’ never found the ****in’ desks. Wha’ about youse?

-We were lookin’ for some Mohammed wallpaper.

-Wha’?

-Wallpaper with pictures of your man, Mohammed, on it.

-For **** sake. Did yis find it?

-No – no, we didn’t. It was the wife’s idea. She was ****in’ outraged tha’ the Charlie lads were shot just because o’ those cartoons an’ she said we should wallpaper one o’ the rooms with Mohammed. As a mark o’ solidarity, like.

-Come here, but. Does Ikea sell Mohammed wallpaper?

-No, but we just thought any sham with a beard would do us an’ we’d just say it was your man.

-Any joy?

-No – none. We thought abou’ paintin’ beards on One Direction but it would’ve have been a bit obvious.

-So, wha’ did yis do?

-We went for a different cartoon instead.

-Which?

-Spongebob.

-Hold on - you’re hangin’ ****in’ Spongebob wallpaper in solidarity with Charlie Hebdo?

-We are, yeah. Je suis Spongebob.

I have a few very liberal friends who won't even let you make this a "Muslim" issue. No, the acts of the few don't represent the whole but it's very difficult to separate the two. The argument is that this is "violence ideology" that isn't necessarily limited to Muslims. One goes on to argue that Christians are the most violent in past (crusades, colonialism/forced conversions) and probably present. 

I'm a Progressive myself but I can't stomach this kind of thinking. 

This may be in poor taste but it needs to be posted.

So the media is racist by omission, now? The local experience is invalidated because something analogous is happening to a greater degree somewhere else? Hungry people in DC soup kitchens don't matter as much because there are millions in a famine in Somalia? 

I have a few very liberal friends who won't even let you make this a "Muslim" issue. No, the acts of the few don't represent the whole but it's very difficult to separate the two. The argument is that this is "violence ideology" that isn't necessarily limited to Muslims. One goes on to argue that Christians are the most violent in past (crusades, colonialism/forced conversions) and probably present. 

i mean Muslims are being massacred right now in Central African Republic by Christians. Its just radical belief in a religion going otu of control.

Ask them if Christian views on homosexuality contributed in any way to Matthew Shepard's murder.

What kind of thinking exactly? The kind that cautions not to make hasty generalizations about billions based on the actions of a few?

If I say, "Not all terrorists are Muslims, and not all Muslims are terrorists," then I say something true.

Do you not think so?

this is what the Teju Cole article mentioned.

Not just that, but some real stuff goes on in this country and people stay silent. (looks at Golden Globe awards)

It doesnt surprise me, but it is a bit annoying.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/01/boko-harams-quiet-destruction-of-northeast-nigeria/384416/

As many as a million people, joined by 40 world leaders, filled the streets of Paris on Sunday in solidarity after two separate terrorist attacks claimed 17 innocent lives last week. The day before, more than 3,000 miles to the south, a girl believed to be around 10 approached the entrance to a crowded market in Maiduguri, a city of some 1 million in Nigeria's Borno State. As a security guard inspected her, the girl detonated explosives strapped to her body, killing herself and at least 19 others. Dozens more were injured.

What kind of thinking exactly? The kind that cautions not to make hasty generalizations about billions based on the actions of a few?

If I say, "Not all terrorists are Muslims, and not all Muslims are terrorists," then I say something true.

An estimated more than 3,000 Muslims have left relatively comfortable lives in Western Europe to join ISIS knowing quite well what a violent organization they are and what they stand for. At what point do we dispense with "a few", and consider what are root causes given that Muslim communities are bearing such 'fruit' in such numbers?

Many, many Muslims take doctrines about blasphemy, apostasy, jihad, and martyrdom seriously. Not a few, not a majority, but enough to help spawn the kind of violence we see in many parts of the World.

To our fellow French Redskins fans of ES out there, sending out love to you. 

Whether you were affected or not. We know all too well what it's like to deal with terrorists.

Back in 2001, just after the attacks, this tune was playing on the radio a bunch. It was a song that my girl at the time and I gravitated to. 

It gave us comfort in those trying times. Might help you too. Hope you can be comforted by family.

I'll let the other folks talk about religion. 

Archived