Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC.com: Charlie Hebdo: Gun attack on French magazine kills 12

Slateman

An estimated more than 3,000 Muslims have left relatively comfortable lives in Western Europe to join ISIS knowing quite well what a violent organization they are and what they stand for. At what point do we dispense with "a few", and consider what are root causes given that Muslim communities are bearing such 'fruit' in such numbers?

Many, many Muslims take doctrines about blasphemy, apostasy, jihad, and martyrdom seriously. Not a few, not a majority, but enough to help spawn the kind of violence we see in many parts of the World.

does anyone ask why tho?

France has been ostracizing "relatively comfortable" young Muslims for many years. You have a comic that bashes Islam. And a lot of people look at them and think they are terrorists or criminals. Oh yeah, and whats over 3,000 divided by around 19 million? 1.6%

be serious here, please.

does anyone ask why tho?

France has been ostracizing "relatively comfortable" young Muslims for many years. You have a comic that bashes Islam. And a lot of people look at them and think they are terrorists or criminals. Oh yeah, and whats over 3,000 divided by around 19 million? 1.6%

be serious here, please.

We are asking why.

Alienated youth, a few mean-spirited comics, and harsh media treatment ... is that any justification for thousands to join ISIS?.

1.6% of a community giving up everything they have over the course of only a year or two in order to follow a life where committing genocide, rape, slavery, beheadings and using children as sex toys or suicide bombers are badges of honor, is not nothing.  

Minorities around the world face as much, and worse than alienated European Muslim youth, but it is an element of 21st century Islam which appears to be spawning this kind of behavior. The question is why?

We are asking why.

Alienated youth, a few mean-spirited comics, and harsh media treatment ... is that any justification for thousands to join ISIS?.

1.6% of a community giving up everything they have over the course of only a year or two in order to follow a life where committing genocide, rape, slavery, beheadings and using children as sex toys or suicide bombers are badges of honor, is not nothing.

Minorities around the world face as much, and worse than alienated European Muslim youth, but it is 21st century Islam which appears to be spawning this kind of behavior. The question is why?

Could you be more specific about this 3,000 number, and what it refers to (and maybe where you read/heard it)? 

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/america-tonight/articles/2015/1/14/french-muslims.html?utm_content=bylines&utm_campaign=ajam&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=SocialFlow

For French Muslims, a 'very insecure' life

Over the weekend, the suburb of Livry-Gargan mourned Ahmed Merabet, a police officer and one of the dozen people killed in last week’s shooting at the Paris offices of Charlie Hebdo, the weekly satirical newspaper. They honored him as a hero who died doing his job, protecting France and the nation's values.

And on Sunday, at Paris’ Grand Synagogue, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu led applause for Lassana Bathily, thanking him for saving the lives of seven Jews. At the kosher grocery store in eastern Paris where a gunman deliberately targeted and killed four Jews, the 24-year-old worker Mali citizen hustled frightened shoppers downstairs to a freezer, out of sight of the gunman. He then escaped and gave police invaluable information that helped police plan and execute the end of the siege, freeing the hidden hostages. France has said that Bathily will receive the Legion of Honor, the nation’s highest civilian award. More than 150,000 people have signed a petition urging the government to grant him citizenship.

But even as the country celebrates two heroes, who happened to be Muslim, many French Muslims say they now feel hostility and fear. In December, a well-known journalist argued that all Muslims in France should be deported, even those born here. Since the Charlie Hebdo and kosher grocery store assault last week, at least 50 Muslim institutions, like mosques, have been attacked, doubling the number of anti-Muslim actions for all of 2014.

When the prime minister declared “war” on radical Islam, many French seem to hear only the words “war” and “Islam” – missing the critical modifier. This can lead to what's known here as “an amalgam,” jumbling together extremists and Muslims living normal, peaceful and sometimes even heroic lives.

“As a Muslim, I feel people look at me different,” said banker Mourad Chabchoud. “‘Look, he’s Muslim, maybe he’s [a] terrorist.’ They make an ‘amalgam’ and think that every Muslim is a terrorist.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2015/01/14/muhammad-sculpture-inside-supreme-court-a-gesture-of-goodwill/

Muhammad Sculpture Inside Supreme Court a ‘Gesture’ of Goodwill

Perched above the press seating area inside the U.S. Supreme Court chamber is a marble image of Prophet Muhammad.

Sculpted in a frieze, the Muhammad statue carries a sword and the Quran and stands in the company of more than a dozen other “great lawgivers of history.” They range from Moses to Confucius to Napoleon to John Marshall, some of whom appear in an accompanying frieze along the south side of the room.

In a week in which the right to mock – or even depict the Prophet Muhammad – became the focus of world-wide debate,  the Supreme Court sculpture of the prophet of Islam has drawn little notice. That wasn’t always the case. Back in the 1990s, a controversy erupted that culminated with calls by some Islamic leaders to sandblast the statue’s face off the chamber wall.

Islam strongly discourages depictions of Muhammad. And in 1997, some Muslim leaders called on the Supreme Court to remove the image inside the chamber.

According to a Washington Post article at the time, the Council on American-Islamic Relations and other Muslim groups wrote to the court urging that the statue’s face be sandblasted. Then-Chief Justice William Rehnquist refused, issuing a letter that said it would be “unlawful to remove or in any way injure an architectural feature in the Supreme Court building.”

The “controversy was generally laid to rest, in part through a fatwa” authored by Sheikh Taha Jaber al-Alwani, an influential Islamic scholar, according to a 2009 article in Hamline University’s Journal of Law and Religion.

An estimated more than 3,000 Muslims have left relatively comfortable lives in Western Europe to join ISIS knowing quite well what a violent organization they are and what they stand for. At what point do we dispense with "a few", and consider what are root causes given that Muslim communities are bearing such 'fruit' in such numbers?

Many, many Muslims take doctrines about blasphemy, apostasy, jihad, and martyrdom seriously. Not a few, not a majority, but enough to help spawn the kind of violence we see in many parts of the World.

How hard would it be to make the same sort of argument against other religions?

Whoever is without sin . . .

does anyone ask why tho?

be serious here, please.

No, that is actually 0.016 percent.  A much, much MUCH smaller number.  

Am I the only one who noticed that?

How hard would it be to make the same sort of argument against other religions?

Whoever is without sin . . .

Don't confuse me with a Christian, but show me westerners who are behaving like the radicalized western European Muslims in number.

I grew up in Ireland during "the troubles". There was murderous brutality on both sides and plenty of provocation and blame to go around. But nothing like we seen from the ISIS European recruits with systematic rape, beheadings, slavery etc. What's the source of this brutality? Serious question. If not their faith, then what?

Don't confuse me with a Christian, but show me westerners who are behaving like the radicalized western European Muslims in number.

Can you define behaving like? Would mass shootings count? Or are we talking flowing into a warzone like what is happening with the Syrian civil war? 

I grew up in Ireland during "the troubles". There was murderous brutality on both sides and plenty of provocation and blame to go around. But nothing like we seen from the ISIS European recruits with systematic rape, beheadings, slavery etc. What's the source of this brutality? Serious question. If not their faith, then what?

I think faith is not all of it, but to think it's irrelevant is not realistic.

It's important to recognize that there are radicals and peaceful Muslims. And the peaceful are quite likely the majority.

Can you define behaving like? Would mass shootings count? Or are we talking flowing into a warzone like what is happening with the Syrian civil war?

I'm talking about modern Westerners embracing rape, genocide, beheadings, slavery etc. There's quite a gap between committing violent 'armed struggle' and institutionalized barbaric savagery of the worst kind.

I think you minimize the history of Christian atrocities, perhaps by taking the short view of history, though I'm not sure how well even that will hold up.

It is a bit too quick and easy to cite a single "source" of violence, though surely religious hatred can be a big factor. Of course that is one reason I might want to discourage religious hatred here.

I think faith is not all of it, but to think it's irrelevant is not realistic.

It's important to recognize that there are radicals and peaceful Muslims. And the peaceful are quite likely the majority.

No doubt. But what about the sizable minority.

I get that alienated angry youths may embrace violence. But how do you get from there to what we see in recent acts from militant Islamic groups.

What kind of thinking exactly? The kind that cautions not to make hasty generalizations about billions based on the actions of a few?

If I say, "Not all terrorists are Muslims, and not all Muslims are terrorists," then I say something true.

Do you not think so?

The kind of thinking that assumes that if you turn a suspicious eye toward Muslims as a whole, that you're somehow a neanderthal. That you're just intolerant, a bigot. 

There was an article in the Post today about how there was a nation wide moment of silence for the slain in France today. Many muslim youth across France, in protest, talked loudly—essentially siding with the murderers. It's no longer just limited to violent ideology when, particularly, impressionable youth identify with the movement. Granted, there's a vicious cycle going on right now in France (according to my Muslim friends there) where the Muslim populations their cars and homes are vandalized so I can see where this might be coming from but it's also, most likely, deep seated. 

It's gotta come from somewhere in the community. Not all these kids are exposed to some radicalized Imam. It's probably an uncle or two who shares this sentiments. 

All I get back is **** like "Westboro doesn't speak for you (as a Christian) do they?" or "What about abortion clinic bombers?" 

Fact is,  there is a segment of Islam that wants to destroy Western civilization. Gov'ts in the middle east denounce the attacks but their power structure and laws, to an outsider like me, reinforce the same mindset that brings these people to attack. 

I know there are many Muslims globally that couldn't care less about America and how "I" live my life. If there's a news report of trouble somewhere in the globe my mind goes directly to a certain group. If I'm an intolerant bigot, Christian God help us all. 

I think you minimize the history of Christian atrocities, perhaps by taking the short view of history, though I'm not sure how well even that will hold up.

It is a bit too quick and easy to cite a single "source" of violence, though surely religious hatred can be a big factor. Of course that is one reason I might want to discourage religious hatred here.

Religious hatred? No. More along the lines of "religious suspicion"

I'm talking about modern Westerners embracing rape, genocide, beheadings, slavery etc. There's quite a gap between committing violent 'armed struggle' and institutionalized barbaric savagery of the worst kind.

If you are talking about the very limited support for ISIS and groups like that that is occurring in portions of the population in western countries I think it is a mix of alienation and how people seem to be drawn to serial killers (as can be seen by the most famous ones having quite a following in some cases). I think a lot of the younger westerners drawn to ISIS and groups like that are also similar to the issue that we have with school shootings people who feel powerless and lash out.

The majority of these people who are supporting these violent, radical groups are mostly coming from similar pools of disaffected and alienated groups in society. I think thats a large factor in why these attitudes and support exist in society.

That is why you sometime see a swing in white supremecy groups or militia groups when a Democratic President is in power (I actually don't have the numbers to back this up but I believe this is the case) because they feel disenfranchised and without power so there is an uptick and the United States government is really good at rooting these groups out so they don't have the opportunity to act as easily as the lone wolf or self radicalized approach like with the Boston bombers.

If you are talking about why the rape, genocide, slavery etc. is happening with groups with ISIS I don't think those horrific activities are really localized or reliant on religion. That is just the horrible nature of war and poverty, the civil war going on in the DRC, the Rwandan genocide, the current fighting in the CAR all show that this isn't exactly a novel thing, unfortunately. 

EDIT: An interesting article that speaks to that first point

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/119182/jihadists-buy-islam-dummies-amazon

In 2008, a classified briefing note on radicalisation, prepared by MI5’s behavioural science unit, was leaked to the Guardian. It revealed that, “far from being religious zealots, a large number of those involved in terrorism do not practise their faith regularly. Many lack religious literacy and could ... be regarded as religious novices.” The analysts concluded that “a well-established religious identity actually protects against violent radicalisation,” the newspaper said.

For more evidence, read the books of the forensic psychiatrist and former CIA officer Marc Sageman; the political scientist Robert Pape; the international relations scholar Rik Coolsaet; the Islamism expert Olivier Roy; the anthropologist Scott Atran. They have all studied the lives and backgrounds of hundreds of gun-toting, bomb-throwing jihadists and they all agree that Islam isn’t to blame for the behaviour of such men (and, yes, they usually are men).

Instead they point to other drivers of radicalisation: moral outrage, disaffection, peer pressure, the search for a new identity, for a sense of belonging and purpose. As Atran pointed out in testimony to the US Senate in March 2010: “... what inspires the most lethal terrorists in the world today is not so much the Quran or religious teachings as a thrilling cause and call to action that promises glory and esteem in the eyes of friends, and through friends, eternal respect and remembrance in the wider world.” He described wannabe jihadists as “bored, under­employed, overqualified and underwhelmed” young men for whom “jihad is an egalitarian, equal-opportunity employer ... thrilling, glorious and cool.”

Instead they point to other drivers of radicalisation: moral outrage, disaffection, peer pressure, the search for a new identity, for a sense of belonging and purpose. As Atran pointed out in testimony to the US Senate in March 2010: “... what inspires the most lethal terrorists in the world today is not so much the Quran or religious teachings as a thrilling cause and call to action that promises glory and esteem in the eyes of friends, and through friends, eternal respect and remembrance in the wider world.” He described wannabe jihadists as “bored, under­employed, overqualified and underwhelmed” young men for whom “jihad is an egalitarian, equal-opportunity employer ... thrilling, glorious and cool.”

i essentially agree with this, in that its not 'entirely' about religion. maybe not even 'mostly' for some.

but there is a reason tre parker and matt stone dont have to wear flack jackets at the 'book of mormon' premiers, which is the 'charlie hebdo' of musicals. 

ironically, joseph smith, mormonisms founder, died in a jailbreak shootout, (but there are probably 2 people on ES who actually know that, since it hasnt been lampooned on the daily show, fox news or south park) still, there are more than just socio economic triggers at work here.

No doubt. But what about the sizable minority.

I get that alienated angry youths may embrace violence. But how do you get from there to what we see in recent acts from militant Islamic groups.

The longer a bitter ideological struggle goes on, the more radicalized many people become.   Some of these people have known nothing but fighting since being members of the mujadheem fighting the Soviets in 1980.   Some of the younger ones feel as though they have nothing to live for, and fighting against the West and the perceived enemies of Islam gives them some sense of purpose, as twisted as it may be.  

The entire middle east has been a massive battleground for decades, with fighting against Soviets, Americans, Israelis and each other.   Its hard to imagine how it could not produce a bumper crop of radicals.  

Not to go all Tony Robbins here, but one of his main things is about how "significance" is a basic human need. How does one gain significance in this world? For most of these young men, becoming an ideological freedom fighter like a mujahadeen or a suicide bomber or the guys who went into Charlie Hebdo that's their path. 

If Fidel could hit a curve ball or Hitler was a better painter, we probably could've avoided a lot of drama.

The longer a bitter ideological struggle goes on, the more radicalized many people become.   Some of these people have known nothing but fighting since being members of the mujadheem fighting the Soviets in 1980.   Some of the younger ones feel as though they have nothing to live for, and fighting against the West and the perceived enemies of Islam gives them some sense of purpose, as twisted as it may be.  

The entire middle east has been a massive battleground for decades, with fighting against Soviets, Americans, Israelis and each other.   Its hard to imagine how it could not produce a bumper crop of radicals.  

Centuries? Millenia?

Understood, but I was talking more about the folks from places such as English and French towns and suburbia - many have never seen a gun prior to joining ISIS, and are not from anything resembling a ghetto. A number I have read about only converted to Islam in their late teens or after. They left their jobs and families to join a barbaric middle-ages terror group. 

Chuck Hagel said months ago that more than 100 US citizens have gone to fight for ISIS. It's been reported that an airline worker from Minneapolis was killed fighting for ISIS on the battlefield. Was he alienated by the harsh American winter?  :P

When do we accept that no amount of hand wringing and regret for past missteps completely explains the violent radicalization of a portion of Western Muslims, and at least consider that there are portions of Islamic doctrine that are contributing.

Anyway ... I'm done with this topic. It's so ****ing depressing to discuss mans' inhumanity, whatever the reason.

I'll stick to posting pictures of homemade jam wearing colored Keffiyehs.

Understood, but I was talking more about the folks from places such as English and French towns and suburbia - many have never seen a gun prior to joining ISIS, and are not from anything resembling a ghetto. A number I have read about only converted to Islam in their late teens or after. They left their jobs and families to join a barbaric middle-ages terror group. 

Chuck Hagel said months ago that more than 100 US citizens have gone to fight for ISIS. It's been reported that an airline worker from Minneapolis was killed fighting for ISIS on the battlefield. Was he alienated by the harsh American winter?  :P

When do we accept that no amount of hand wringing and regret for past missteps completely explains the violent radicalization of a portion of Western Muslims, and at least consider that there are portions of Islamic doctrine that are contributing.

Anyway ... I'm done with this topic. It's so ****ing depressing to discuss mans' inhumanity, whatever the reason.

I'll stick to posting pictures of homemade jam wearing colored Keffiyehs.

Not to toot my own horn but the article I posted has a pretty good explanation for why its happening. 

In 2008, a classified briefing note on radicalisation, prepared by MI5’s behavioural science unit, was leaked to the Guardian. It revealed that, “far from being religious zealots, a large number of those involved in terrorism do not practise their faith regularly. Many lack religious literacy and could ... be regarded as religious novices.” The analysts concluded that “a well-established religious identity actually protects against violent radicalisation,” the newspaper said.

For more evidence, read the books of the forensic psychiatrist and former CIA officer Marc Sageman; the political scientist Robert Pape; the international relations scholar Rik Coolsaet; the Islamism expert Olivier Roy; the anthropologist Scott Atran. They have all studied the lives and backgrounds of hundreds of gun-toting, bomb-throwing jihadists and they all agree that Islam isn’t to blame for the behaviour of such men (and, yes, they usually are men).

There was an article in the Post today about how there was a nation wide moment of silence for the slain in France today. Many muslim youth across France, in protest, talked loudly—essentially siding with the murderers. It's no longer just limited to violent ideology when, particularly, impressionable youth identify with the movement. Granted, there's a vicious cycle going on right now in France (according to my Muslim friends there) where the Muslim populations their cars and homes are vandalized so I can see where this might be coming from but it's also, most likely, deep seated. 

2012 2013 2014 Balance of burned cars, desecration or anti-Christian acts

Those terrorists in western countries are mostly uprooted who find a shelter in an anti-western war. Most lack proper knowledge of the religion, and many of them are far from being illiterates, they're students. What they all have in common is that they are uprooted.

Immigrants from second generation have no ties with their country of origin in which they are discriminated, and are poorly integrated into their host countries. Fortunately, only a minority is concerned.

Some local associations give them the opportunity to rediscover islam for ideological indoctrination, proselytism. They will therefore feel they're on a world mission that will fill their quest for identity. Religion serves them as a legitimation for their acts.

There is also another problem, there is no islam institution with authority that can regulate their practices, or teaching them exegistics.

We don't have integration problems with sub-saharan immigrants (some of them are muslims), with the asian community, with the jewish community eventhough some of them don't feel secure anymore.

“Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities, but the influence of the religion paralyzes the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith.” Winston Churchill

I want to remember the attitude of Lassana Bathily born in Ivory Coast but a citizen of Mali and muslim. He saved many jewish people during the attack on the Kosher shop (he works there), a true heroe.

"Come, come!" I made them go into the freezer, "he told the young man to several television media. Six people rush then, including a father with his young child. "I turned off the light, I turned off the freezer. Then I closed the door and I said, "You stay calm here." "

He then risked his own life escaping from the shop and gave very important intel to the police.

He came to France in 2006 and filed a request for french citizenship, file is pending.

Edit: He'll be granted french citizenship next Tuesday.

Not to toot my own horn but the article I posted has a pretty good explanation for why its happening. 

new converts are certainly more zealous and prone to excess.....and ignorant

that doesn't explain the esteem from many in the community they come from though....the perversion of jihad is a problem that clearly needs addressed

This may be in poor taste but it needs to be posted.

amLZZP6_460s_v1.jpg

Amnesty International Calls Slaughter of Nigerian Villagers, Destruction of Towns by Boko Haram "Catastrophic"

Before and After Satellite Images Document the Level of Destruction

_80281001_doron_baga_b+a_624.jpg

_80281004_bagaoverview_624.jpg

A woman was killed while giving birth to a baby boy during a horrific attack by Boko Haram fighters in Baga, north-east Nigeria, Amnesty International has reported. Residents fleeing the villages were cut down indiscriminiately, according to witnesses. Among the dead were women and children too slow in flight. Human Rights Watch said the exact death toll was unknown, with estimates ranging from "dozens" to 2,000 or more.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, speaking at a press conference in Bulgaria today, called the slaughter by Boko Haram a crime against humanity. He said that he and his British counterpart are discussing strategies for responding to the barbarity displayed by Boko Haram.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-30826582

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/boko-haram-attack-woman-killed-in-labour-during-baga-massacre-9979680.html

http://dailypost.ng/2015/01/15/kerry-declares-baga-massacre-boko-haram-crime-humanity/

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/kerry-us-britain-set-scheme-deal-boko-haram-28241517

We are asking why.

if you genuinely believe its just harsh media treatment and not that they are treated like crap in their own country, then you need to lay off the American media narrative

Whenever a country like Tunisia or Algeria or other Northern African countries play France in towns like Marseille, a large number of the attendees are cheering for the North African team. Thats the question we need to ask. Why are they feeling a certain way? What is going on at a societal level? instead we just think its over a stupid comic.

this is BS. You are giving way too much power to a genuinely insignificant minority. But thats what happens with Muslims, us Westerners indict the whole religion on the acts of 1%. I dont ask why are Jewish people bad when Israel bombs Palestinian schools. Nor do I ask why Christians are terrible when they bomb abortion clinics or the effing Olympics. And I do not ask what is wrong with Muslims when they commit these acts.

Minorities around the world face as much, and worse than alienated European Muslim youth, but it is an element of 21st century Islam which appears to be spawning this kind of behavior. The question is why?

how can you possibly know this? what a strange statement.

No, that is actually 0.016 percent.  A much, much MUCH smaller number.  

Am I the only one who noticed that?

im not gonna fight you, but your math is off :)

Archived