Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Zoony Bin: The official '15 offseason Twitter thread, Whine room now open serving Francis Copious Speculation Cab, Lavar buffet Incl., tips included

SWFLSkins

I shake my head at all the Suh talk.  It would make more sense if we were closer to competing and/or DL was a desperate need that only he could fill.  But, given that DL is relatively strong in the draft, I don't see this as something you consider much given the money he will be asking for.

I'd rather spend the money on McCourty, given that Safety is the far bigger short-term need and the lack of quality Safeties in FA and the draft.

If you want to gauge the level of our average fan's "IQ" just look at the comments right after the Redskins post a status on facebook ... just a few minutes ago, the page said the Redskins didn't use the franchise tag this year, but if the fans could choose one player to tag this year, who it would be ... 

First, that's a ridiculously STUPID question for the social media team at the Skins to post

Second, the first couple dozen comments ... man ... idiots. Kerrigan, Trent Williams, Garcon, DeSean Jackson ...

Fortunately some knowledgeable Skins fans jumped in and corrected these folks and made sure they realized what exactly a franchise tag is. Oye.

Who really are the must-keep players on this roster?

Trent Williams

Ryan Kerrigan

Who else?

Seriously, go down the roster. http://www.redskins.com/team/roster.html

Some people would say D. Jax or maybe Alfred. A lot of folks still believe in RG3.  I personally think D. Young is important. But I only see two names that are without a doubt keepers.

Who really are the must-keep players on this roster?

Trent Williams

Ryan Kerrigan

Who else?

Seriously, go down the roster. http://www.redskins.com/team/roster.html

Some people would say D. Jax or maybe Alfred. A lot of folks still believe in RG3.  I personally think D. Young is important. But I only see two names that are without a doubt keepers.

Could make cases for Kennan Robinson and Breeland.

Guys what has this cheap "blue collar" approach to FA gotten us? Sean lavauo, Stephen bowen, Chris chester, Tracy porter, Ryan Clark? I'd much rather have 2 true impact players than a bunch of mediocre cheap contract guys, Especially with the huge cap room we have coming to us in the near future. Such could truly change this defense and I think some of you are way too quick to discount the idea. With up to 80 million cap space next season this could be a huge opportunity to get true impact players

Jason Taylor was almost 35 years old, Suh is a future HoFer in his mid 20s. We have so much cap space in the near future that now is the time to take chances on guys who can truly turn this team around.

I really doubt we have enough cap space to go after Suh. He's gonna command top dollars, and teams like the Raiders or Jags are much more suited to this than us. He would also be a better fit for them, scheme-wise.

Regarding blue collar guys, we also had some hits with guys like Kory and Fletch, even Garcon. So, it's not like we whiffed on every blue collar guy we sign. Sure we did miss on some of them, way too many to my likings, but we're picking nice also. And that is not considering the change of regime at the GM job.

I don't see Suh signing with us realistic. More so after the Haynesworth incident.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora 6m6 minutes ago

Eagles have looming decision with Trent Cole as well. Don't expect him to take a paycut. Will be several teams interested if/when cut

NFLTradeRumors.co @nfltrade_rumors 7m7 minutes ago

DeMarco Murray Expected To Remain With Cowboys If They Match FA Offers http://bit.ly/1EdrI2h

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 8m8 minutes ago

New #Redskins DE @Freakyjean99 asked by @kevins980 if he knows what "HTTR" means now..."I caught grief for that..Believe me, I know it now."

ESPN 980 @ESPNRadio980 11m11 minutes ago

New #Redskins DE @Freakyjean99 on @ESPNRadio980 says Scot McCloughan was huge factor in signing, a "guy that stuck his neck out for me"

Justin Byram @Justin_Byram 13m13 minutes ago

Think Bernard Pollard still has decent football left in him. Could be a solid stop gap option, would be good for Davis/Thomas.

Justin Byram @Justin_Byram 14m14 minutes ago

However, think there are some younger, better options out there

Julie @diehardskins21 6m6 minutes ago

We have all of our draft picks and no salary cap penalty...I feel like a kid in a candy store. #HTTR

NFLTradeRumors.co @nfltrade_rumors 4m4 minutes ago

“Several” Teams Expected To Have Interest In Eagles OLB Trent Cole If He’s Cut http://bit.ly/1FSozlF

I'm trying to think of a time when a team that was middling to bad signed a great all-pro caliber player and got significantly better. Not including a QB like a Drew Brees, I can't think of a single time in the past 20 years that's happened. I get that people think this is the way to improve your team, but its not. You have to find those dominant all-pro level players in the draft and pay them cheap contracts. It allows you to have several on the same roster and still pay your QB. If you simply sign others' high end players, even for reasonable FA money, you leave holes on your team that cannot be filled with competent players. The cap increases don't matter until we build a base of solid talent and depth. The only way to do that is hoard draft picks and gain much of our mid to upper level talent via picks. It's been said a thousand times, but guys like Suh, McCourty, and Maxwell are for teams on the brink. We have too many holes to devote so much of the cap to one guy who would likely turn us from a 5 win team into a 7 win team. It's not worth it.

One of the question/answers asked I thought might spark some conversation because I think it's way out of left field. Never been impressed with Jacquizz but maybe I'm missing something having not see all of his body of work. Anyone think that would be a good signing?

Comment From Michael #4HFA
What team would potentially have their eye on a player like Jacquizz Rodgers?
via
·
16 minutes ago
Pro Football Focus: 
Rodgers has shown he can play on all 3 downs (though not as a full time back) and his ability in the passing game will be attractive. Should Washington not re-sign Roy Helu he could be an attractive option there, a team like Indianapolis could also look at him to handle third downs if they go for a committee approach.

Gary Fitzgerald @GaryRFitzgerald 3m3 minutes ago

#Redskins have too many needs NOT to consider re-signing Brian Orakpo. He's 29, but injuries have cost him.

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 8m8 minutes ago

New #Redskins DE @Freakyjean99 on @RGIII "We gotta get him great field position....He hasn't hit his ceiling yet." on @ESPNRadio980

Pro Football Focus @PFF 13m13 minutes ago

Want to know anything on specific FAs? Stats? Scheme fit? Ask away: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/03/03/pff-free-agency-live-chat/ 

Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala 15m15 minutes ago

Scouts uniformly tell me #Pitt OT TJ Clemmings only helped himself today. Worked very hard thru LONG workout. Mostly right tackle sets

Gary Fitzgerald @GaryRFitzgerald 17m17 minutes ago

First real indicator of who's in charge at #Redskins Park could be Brian Orakpo. He's well-liked by ownership & marketable defensive player.

Cory Grant ran a 4.19? wow Auburn RB?

that was a scout's stop watch, others had him slower from what I've read, but still fast

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 3h3 hours ago

According to these numbers, #Redskins only with 18.5 million in cap space. NFLPA numbers are not official. http://nfltraderumors.co/nfl-cap-space-1/ 

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 24m24 minutes ago

@Russellmania980 It doesn’t look like Bowen and Cofield cuts have hit the NFLPA’s numbers yet.

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 23m23 minutes ago

@Rich_TandlerCSN Ahhh....that's why there was such a large gap....I thought it was that silly rule of 51 that u know & I can't figure out.

Rich Tandler @Rich_TandlerCSN 22m22 minutes ago

@Russellmania980 Happy to re-explain the Rule of 51 any time—but you’ll probably never get it anyway!

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 21m21 minutes ago

@Rich_TandlerCSN YOu have explained it well - at least a hundred times - I will leave that to you, Bruce & Schaffer. Ha ha... Thanks.

Gary Fitzgerald @GaryRFitzgerald 4m4 minutes ago

Niles Paul drawing interest from #Falcons? Shanahans (Kyle is OC in Atlanta) have always loved Paul, they see something in him. #Redskins

Philadelphia Eagles cut ties with Cary Williams

NFL @nfl 1m1 minute ago

The @eagles secondary?? It just got a little thinner: http://at.nfl.com/WqO3Lsu 

Dan Hatman @Dan_Hatman 3m3 minutes ago

ICYMI: If you want to learn more about Washington's off-season plans (Or TB/TEN/JAX/OAK) check out http://scoutingacademy.com/2015Off-Season

Aditi Kinkhabwala @AKinkhabwala 34s35 seconds ago

41 NFL scouts/coaches from 27 teams were at #Pitt's Pro Day. So was #Rams DT Aaron Donald, who flew in to support ex-roommate TJ Clemmings

Those of you talking about wanting to bring Suh in here are crazy. That dude is going to eat up half our cap space at least, and we ARE NOT a DT away from being competitive. I'd much rather have 3 good players for the price Suh would command.

We need to start filling holes, and doing it smartly. There's also plenty of DL talent in the draft.

Those of you talking about wanting to bring Suh in here are crazy. That dude is going to eat up half our cap space at least, and we ARE NOT a DT away from being competitive. I'd much rather have 3 good players for the price Suh would command.

We need to start filling holes, and doing it smartly. There's also plenty of DL talent in the draft.

I won't argue with that, but (1) Suh is better than a Porter, Lauvao, and Chester... 

And I am not saying I wan't Suh... but wouldn't be mad if he was on our team.

Sure he's a big name who will need to be overpaid to come here compared to other teams, sure there are questions about his character or behavior, sure he plays in a different scheme than what we run and sure we need to start building in other ways but guys HERES WHATS DIFFERENT THIS TIME.

I won't argue with that, but (1) Suh is better than a Porter, Lauvao, and Chester... 

And I am not saying I wan't Suh... but wouldn't be mad if he was on our team.

I'm w/ you on this. 

If McLoughan thinks that Suh is the way to go, I'll trust him.  If he thinks money can be better spent elsewhere, then I'll trust him as well. 

As someone else put it, we've gone the cheap(er) route and were left with herbs like Luvao(sp?), Porter, etc.  We've also been burned by going the expensive route as well. 

With the old regime, it was damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

This is why I have 100% trust in whichever direction McLoughan decides to go. 

It's not what we think. The precedent has to be set within Redskins Park. Coaches, owners, and the front office have a sugar addiction. If McCloughin feeds them sugar on the first trip to the store they will be expecting and demanding candy every time they get in the car.

You've got to set a tough standard first.

I see what you're saying.  You're not saying to go by what fans think, rather to set the tone strongly the first year.  I can agree with that.

The only thing that would give me pause is if Suh/another big name actually IS the best option, and we're passing on principle.  Again, I don't want Suh or any other big name, but I want him to be/not be here for the right reasons.

I'm w/ you on this. 

If McLoughan thinks that Suh is the way to go, I'll trust him.  If he thinks money can be better spent elsewhere, then I'll trust him as well. 

As someone else put it, we've gone the cheap(er) route and were left with herbs like Luvao(sp?), Porter, etc.  We've also been burned by going the expensive route as well. 

With the old regime, it was damned if you do, damned if you don't. 

This is why I have 100% trust in whichever direction McLoughan decides to go. 

I don't understand why people keep bringing those three failures up.  I mean, not getting Suh doesn't mean getting three bad players; it's not an "either-or" proposition.  Suh could be a good pick, but I think that we're much more likely to hit on at least one of three players than we are just one.  That said, one player or three players don't make a difference if you whiff on them.  One's an expensive whiff and one's an expensive whiff in three easy payments.

Artest, not saying that you were saying this, just quoted you since you were the last one in the conversation about it.  I am with you about being 100% on board with whatever McLoughin chooses.

Total Suhmoke Screen.

I keep seeing people year after year saying that things are smokescreens.  What, exactly, are we smokescreening?  Talking with other players, which everyone who matters would know because there are only so many agents?  A draft pick that's over a month away?  I don't/have never gotten it.

Quick thought???

While I'd like a defensive tackle or linebacker in the draft, part of me thinks we should seriously consider taking the safety Collins or the Michigan State corner at 5.  Even though some say its a reach. 

Those are also big needs on our team, and it seems like safeties are almost impossible to find. 

Anyone else agree??

Maybe that's what we're thinking, get Suh and draft the superstar safety????

Quick thought???

While I'd like a defensive tackle or linebacker in the draft, part of me thinks we should seriously consider taking the safety Collins or the Michigan State corner at 5.  Even though some say its a reach. 

Those are also big needs on our team, and it seems like safeties are almost impossible to find. 

Anyone else agree??

Maybe that's what we're thinking, get Suh and draft the superstar safety????

Just remember most CB/S are good because a team has a great pass rush.  That's why I like a DT or LB at 5.  I just read that Barry's plan is to create pressure up front.

Here's the article http://whttp://www.csnwashington.com/redskinsblog/jean-francois-discusses-barry-hatcher-scheme-tweaks-and-httr

Makes me think we are going to a 4-3 base?

Archived