Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whose career has Haslett ruined?

robotfire

He should never have been hired in the first place. The BIGGEST mistake was taking a top 5 defense year in and year out and switching to a 3-4! Ruining careers, not sure about that, while here, Rambo forgot how to tackle, did Henson even start for us?

I am not a fan of Hasletgo, he needs to be gone. There is talent on this defense, just need a coach with the right scheme. London had no problem cashing checks, for him to do what he did was cowardice and shameful, if anything, Haslett gave him a couple MILLION when he should have released him!

Well Haslett certainly isn't doing any HCs any favors.

I'm banking on him being out after the final whistle blows sunday.

But, the FO HAS to keep in mind that there will be other teams searching for a new DC as well, so if there's anyone out there, they had better hop, and hop quickly. Waiting around, finger ****ing themselves in the FO could cost them a decent/good DC, and we could end up with this asshole again next year, and i'll just go nucking futs ape**** crazy if that happens.

And we all know that if he is gone after this year, I seriously doubt there will be any NFL teams out there looking to hire him; he may end up back in arena league or SELSU, or teaching underwater basket weaving classes in infomercials.

I fully agree he needs to be fired, but it's not like he's ever had a whole lot of talent to work with in his time here. (Not defending him-but I feel it's at least noteworthy)  I really hope he is fired...there's one problem though...what can they REALISTICALLY replace him with?  If there's no one better...then what do you do

I don't understand this talent argument. He has been the D-coach for 5 years. He has more than enough input on defensive free agents and draft picks in the draft. I am almost positive that his schemes and lack of coaching has ruined a lot of talented players that will have better careers in another system.

Well I'll take the chance to post in this disgusting useless thread to say that I'm grateful for what Jim Haslett tried to do for the Redskins.  I know he didn't succeed, but I don't believe for 1 second he tried to do anything but his best.

The players that he coached know what he did for them.  The players he wasn't able to get to need to accept responsibility for their own lives.

Blame, blame, blame, blame...

"My life sucks cause my 7th grade math teacher was a bum."

The best part is that the players that did well under Haz did it on their own, but the ones that failed did so because of Haz.

LOL for the rest of the day.  Thanks everyone.

Damn I just thought your avatar was of Gruden..I had no idea you were Gruden. Sorry coach! What's the status on Robert on Sunday?

The Skins don't need to fire Jim Haslett they can just decide not to renew his contract when it runs out at the end of the year.

Right so it won't be a big deal for Jay.  Also, I think it was reported that Jay and Haz only spent one year coaching together prior to 2014.  They need to open the double doors so that both Haz and Raheem Morris can leave at the same time.  This guy has been H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E coaching DB's!   Breeland gets what he gets in spite of Morris.  He's just a tough kid.  Amerson has regressed.  I am sick to death of seeing opposing offenses get 13 yards on 3rd and 12 or 25 on 3rd and 24!  That is entirely on Morris so he needs to be side by side with Haz when they exit the building. 

I'm not a Haslett fan at all. He's been an utter disaster here and that's not even debatable. That's the extent of it though. There doesn't need to be some major controversy where we try to destroy his character on the way out. For once I just want this franchise to do this correctly. Just move on from Haslett in a professional manner.

The tragedy is if he is here next year due to them saying look at his yardage allowed and how many injuries he dealt with. It's still a very real possibility that he's back, especially with gruden and Allen in charge.

I don't think Snyder will approve of bringing back Haslett.

I fully agree he needs to be fired, but it's not like he's ever had a whole lot of talent to work with in his time here. (Not defending him-but I feel it's at least noteworthy)  I really hope he is fired...there's one problem though...what can they REALISTICALLY replace him with?  If there's no one better...then what do you do?

Honestly, I think he's had "enough talent" here. At least, the better part of 31 other teams have the same level of talent and the better part of half of them actually DO something with it. Four years of Haslett and we see the SAME thing week after week, year after year. Haslett has "redeemed" himself in Dan's eyes apparently with his 2-3 "great defensive performances" against our NFC-E rivals every year, but hopefully Dan has seen enough .. just like all of us .. to kick him out!

The tragedy is if he is here next year due to them saying look at his yardage allowed and how many injuries he dealt with. It's still a very real possibility that he's back, especially with gruden and Allen in charge.

That's the other problem .. I have long suspected that our training staff isn't up to snuff!  For as long as I can remember, the better part of the Snyder era, we sure seem to be suspect to the injury bug, more so than a lot of other teams.  We sure seem to get the "injury bug" with much of our team than everyone else.

I'm not a Haslett fan at all. He's been an utter disaster here and that's not even debatable. That's the extent of it though. There doesn't need to be some major controversy where we try to destroy his character on the way out. For once I just want this franchise to do this correctly. Just move on from Haslett in a professional manner.

Agreed. I don't "hate" Haslett. Seems like a nice enough guy (although some of the things Fletch said about him turning on Shanahan after Shanahan tried to help him, and his bad mouthing players, etc seems to paint a different picture). I just want hm away from this team. We have seen enough of the same crap for four years! It is WAY past time!  We will never turn the corner as long as Haslett is here.

I don't think Snyder will approve of bringing back Haslett.

Why is that? Your talking about the guy that left Vinny in charge forever and likely will let Allen run the show despite the results of last offseason. Like I said above, Snyder suffers from tone deafness when it comes to running a football franchise. 

Robert Henson's career wasn'r ruined by anyone but Robert Henson.

Robert Henson had no career to speak of before working under Haslett and not a sniff of one since,

Shanahan self destructed and tried to take the whole organisation down with him without help from the DC.

2 bad examples in the OP.

Hail.

Haslett ruined Mike's career.

Right.

Or Dan snyder did.

Or somebody else besides Mike shanahan.

Haslett and Allen's NFL careers were already over when Shanahan scraped them out of the dumpster and propped them up at Redskins Park. His motivation for doing so was simple - their employment was predicated on Shanahan's whim, and Ol' Mike values subservience over competence. It's why the Shamster has only won one playoff game ever without Terrell Davis. It's why his defense in Denver were typically awful, other than Ray Rhoads brief tenure there.

Haslett was in the freaking UFL when Shanny threw him a bone, and noone in the NFL will hire him after he leaves here. Likewise, no other FO will touch Allen.

3rd and 26, last Saturday. Should've been an easy call to put our secondary in a Cover 3 zone and allow the Eagles to catch a short pass and we'd have ample opportunity to make the tackle before the ballcarrier could get a first down. Instead, the Eagles converted because Haslett called one of his blitzes. Same drive, 3rd and 15....he does it again and the Eagles once again convert. This was a drive the Eagles scored on and it should've been a 3-and-out. Curiously, it looked just like the 4th and long play the Cowboys converted on us to win a game three years ago, in which we heard Haslett claims Shanahan forced a Cover 0 call. If that was such a bad decision than why is our defense still being coached this way? Is Shanahan making defensive calls from his couch in Denver? His termination is a year late. 

This is why Haslett should be fired, and this is also why he's ruined careers of countless players that he's put in horrible positions. 

Actually, probably the most honest answer is Mike Shanahan's.  Think about it... Kyle's offenses were generally pretty good or at least well rated.  If Haslett ever was able to keep a lead all the meltdowns probably would have been kept in house and perhaps the situation would have been either peaceably resolved or maybe never even gotten to the point where Mike decided to quit on the team.

Jim Haslett ruined Mike Shanahan's career.

Well, who knows what Orakpo would ever have become with better coaching early in his career and a better scheme around him.

Orakpo the one move rusher who's most famous for two things ... not getting the holding call ... and insisting that he doesn't need to develop any additional rush techniques?  That Orakpo?

Bacarri Rambo

(according to Haslett) “It’s a shame because we gave him every opportunity.  And I feel bad because we drafted him and thought he was going to pan into a good player, kind of like Keenan [Robinson] and Perry [Riley] and some of these guys we have drafted here that have panned into good football players. But it didn’t work out. I think the big play last week was the dagger."

Rambo now plays for the Bills and recently got two picks off of Aaron Rodgers.

Bacarri Rambo ... with 2 tackles and 2 assists in 5 games ... I didn't see his interceptions ... but I'm going to guess they were thrown to him as opposed to some kind of remarkable coverage and a stollen INT.  I wanted him to be much better than he was with the Redskins ... bad tackler ... bad angles ... and not much in coverage ... 

I fully agree he needs to be fired, but it's not like he's ever had a whole lot of talent to work with in his time here. (Not defending him-but I feel it's at least noteworthy)  I really hope he is fired...there's one problem though...what can they REALISTICALLY replace him with?  If there's no one better...then what do you do?

A Trashcan.  They can replace him with a trashcan, and the trashcan will call better plays.  Or a blender.  Or a banana.  

In all seriousness, there are hundreds of coaches, both in college ranks and in the NFL that we could replace him with and have a better defense. If Carolina gets eliminated from the playoffs, Ron Rivera for one.

Actually, probably the most honest answer is Mike Shanahan's. Think about it... Kyle's offenses were generally pretty good or at least well rated. If Haslett ever was able to keep a lead all the meltdowns probably would have been kept in house and perhaps the situation would have been either peaceably resolved or maybe never even gotten to the point where Mike decided to quit on the team.

You're not serious.

I am happy to see someone opening up a discussion about pinning player failures on coaches. Typically, its seems assumed a players failures are all on him. 

Rambo, I would like to think that was a Morris project, and all our DBs. I feel injuries played a bigger role in Rak than Haslett. Andre Carter and others, standard 4-3 / 3-4 Tweeners struggling to find a spot. Defense is easy compared to offense, and thus the chance to ruin players from coaching seems much less than on offense. And the grass is not always greener, another DC could have done worse. 

The bigger story may be Gruden ruining QBs. I think an interesting study could be done on all the countless failures of QBs league wide over the past several decades, including a review of what was asked of them WRT their strengths, the resume of the OC / QB coach etc. I think there is a story there. 

The bigger story may be Gruden ruining QBs. I think an interesting study could be done on all the countless failures of QBs league wide over the past several decades, including a review of what was asked of them WRT their strengths, the resume of the OC / QB coach etc. I think there is a story there.

Not sure about that. I'm undecided about gruden, but, I cant say hes ruined any qbs.

First of all, Robert and cousins look just like they did last year.

And he was in charge of an offense when Andy Dalton went to the pro bowl. He doesn't exactly look like a $115 million QB at the moment.

As far as burgold and our offense last year, I think many of us scapegoated haslett. We forget that several weeks into the season, our defense was outscoring our offense in the first half of games. While haslett at least had the excuse of having to face a murderers row of offense, Kyle has no such luxury when it came to the pitiful defenses we faced. And constantly came up empty.

How many games was our offense able to score more than 6 points in consecutive halves last year? Once. That's a shocking number. Especially considering the competition.

Mike reminded any gullible fan who hadn't noticed this yet that we were a "top ten offense" after the san Fran debacle last year. Too bad he wasn't talking about points scored, because we were bottom third in that clearly insignificant category.

Haslett needs to be replaced. But he didn't get Mike fired. Mike did. He failed here just like he did in Denver after elway retired. He's won all of one playoff game in the 14 seasons he's coached since that time.

Hasletts fault? I don't think so.

Actually, probably the most honest answer is Mike Shanahan's.  Think about it... Kyle's offenses were generally pretty good or at least well rated.  If Haslett ever was able to keep a lead all the meltdowns probably would have been kept in house and perhaps the situation would have been either peaceably resolved or maybe never even gotten to the point where Mike decided to quit on the team.

No Mike Shanahan ruined his own career.Jim Haslett contract should not be renewed when the season is over but he isn't the reason Mike Shanahan quit on the team, that goes on Mike only.

Archived