Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

For Robert, there should be no off-season

GoldSkinner

I have been a huge critic of him, but he played much better the last two weeks. Less mistakes and he did go down field more yesterday. I'm talking 10-15 yard range. His days of being a dangerous runner appear to be over. He looks slower, but his passing game looked better the last two weeks.

I'm not so sure if he's slower as much as he's not accelerating full-speed. He doesn't want to get killed and isn't taking hits when running. It's a lot easier to slide when you're running slower. Going back and watching 2012 highlights, if he were to slide as he is doing now, he would have to be running a lot slower. Give him an open field and you'll see the same speed.

The kid can't win against the haters - your hate for him is bordering on the same level of hate that you are supposed to have for our rivals (Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, etc). 

He really can't.

From an objective point of view these fellow fans ALMOST turned a season where he missed 7 games to injury on a rookie HC led 4-11 team playing under an incongruous system/style into the end of his career. Same guys that fantasize about Kirk Cousins winning Super Bowl MVP and have the type of "beautiful minds" that piece together tertiary tweets, ES posts, Kevin Sheehan mind farts, facebook likes, Thom Loverro actual farts, and couch quarterbacking superiority that makes hipsters blush all into a refreshing big picture us mere mortals cannot fathom.

Robert got hurt -> Robert rehabbed an injury some said was season ending.

Robert got criticized (unprofessionally) -> Robert didn't say a word.

Robert got benched -> Accepted his role.

Robert got a second chance -> He's running with it.

Had the Giants 17-7 at the half and got ****** by the refs, just ended the Eagles season and could help this team get to 3-3 in the East.

It's so painfully obvious the kid is FIGHTING for his life, starting to succeed in conditions the other two guys either never had or crumbled under.

Who's team is it Kirk?

I'm not so sure if he's slower as much as he's not accelerating full-speed. He doesn't want to get killed and isn't taking hits when running. It's a lot easier to slide when you're running slower. Going back and watching 2012 highlights, if he were to slide as he is doing now, he would have to be running a lot slower. Give him an open field and you'll see the same speed.

I've noticed that he doesn't take off running as much (not even close) as he did during his rookie season or even last year. And when he does run, he running very cautiously..as if he is expecting defenders to close in and lay the big hit. He is protecting himself while sacrificing the explosive play.

He was killed for running, playing with a reckless style and now that he has throttled back, he is being labeled "not as explosive, athletic". I rather he picks his spots while not risking his health.

Wow the hate for RG on this board is ridiculous.  I think those that hate him would like to see him fail, even if it costs the team a win. Remember, you are a fan of the TEAM first then the players.

The kid can't win against the haters - your hate for him is bordering on the same level of hate that you are supposed to have for our rivals (Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, etc). 

If you hate him that much, take your agenda driven rants to another board as this board should be for constructive debates and support for the team. The haters have lost their way.

Frankly he's deserved the criticism. He's underperformed, is self absorbed, he's throw teammates under the bus, and from what we've heard, is isolated from teammates and appears thin skinned. That's going to get you ripped by the media in this town. This is not an easy place to play quarterback. I want him to be a great QB. I don't think he's going to ever be one but that's my opinion. I hope he proves me wrong and this off season, becomes a better teammate which means he'll be a better leader. I think Gruden tearing him down in front of the media was wrong, but if it works, so be it. But as I've said, I want him to earn the job next year. He hasn't done enough this year to have it handed to him.

He won the NFC East 2 years ago and he's had 2 major injuries within those 2 years. Comparing him to Russell and Clausen is a complete joke 

I don't think he will be handed anything. He's finishing the year as the starter and he's playing ok, which should give him the leg up, But he'll have to earn it imo

No, should not give him the leg up, it should be a true competition between KC, RG3, CM (or whichever veteran brought in). Seriously, I think we have a lot of little Dan Snyders on this board who let their feelings about their favorite player cloud their judgement. The only thing RG3 has earned is an opportunity to remain on this team 1 more year and Compete for the starting job. There should be ZERO talk about picking up a 5th yr option on him. Hopefully, he gets ALOT better this offseason and does earn it, if not, his cap space is minimal and can afford to be a back up.

I think it's the opposite. Those who are critical make it sound like RGIII would have to look up to reach the heights that Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and Akili Smith reached. They act like he has never been able to complete a pass, read a defense, or score a touchdown.  The degree of negativity is asinine.

The "lovers" of RGIII I find to be willing to admit fault and difficulties and look for areas of improvement in several areas.  I mean look at the social media tangent of this thread.  RGIII is an addict because he posted a few tweets after a month of silence congratulating his team mates and wishing a colleague a happy birthday. If that isn't the epitome of picking nits, I don't know what is.  That's him being an attention whore and all me guy who alienates himself from his team?

The RGIII story is not black and white.  He's not been utter trash and he's not a diamond. It is also a story that exists in context.  Shanny was a disaster last year.  Haslett never met a lead he didn't try to surrender. The line stinks.  Special teams is often awful.  So to ignore everything else and pretend everything bad is the result of RGIII when the others have done nearly as bad is just silly.

The RGIII story is not black and white.  He's not been utter trash and he's not a diamond.

Ran out of likes.....what kills me is the intangibles of this kid go completely unappreciated by too many fans.

The guy is a self starter and a fighter at his core, I'll defend those kind of players all day.

I'll admit gave up on him mainly because I felt he lost what matter most, and that's the locker room.  Seeing how they ralied around him after that pre-halftime Giants game call and then giving up trying to be liked by people (especially with his change in press conferences and social meida) is going to save his career here in Washington. 

He needed a wake-up call, badly, and we were prepared to move on from here entirly if he didn't get it.  His fall from grace in DC was amazing to watch and will be legend if he proves to be able to survive it here in DC.

I think it's the opposite. Those who are critical make it sound like RGIII would have to look up to reach the heights that Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, and Akili Smith reached. They act like he has never been able to complete a pass, read a defense, or score a touchdown. The degree of negativity is asinine.

The "lovers" of RGIII I find to be willing to admit fault and difficulties and look for areas of improvement in several areas. I mean look at the social media tangent of this thread. RGIII is an addict because he posted a few tweets after a month of silence congratulating his team mates and wishing a colleague a happy birthday. If that isn't the epitome of picking nits, I don't know what is. That's him being an attention whore and all me guy who alienates himself from his team?

The RGIII story is not black and white. He's not been utter trash and he's not a diamond. It is also a story that exists in context. Shanny was a disaster last year. Haslett never met a lead he didn't try to surrender. The line stinks. Special teams is often awful. So to ignore everything else and pretend everything bad is the result of RGIII when the others have done nearly as bad is just silly.

Extremely well put. I understand not everyone believes in RG3 going forward put to call out something that has no impact on him as a QB is quite a reach.

I thought his presser was perfect after the game, said everything correctly and didn't feel scripted. I think he's understanding a lot more from this season.

All I known if it's Griffin running the show right now I will be rooting for him because he's the QB playing for the team I root for. Pretty simple.

Good post.   As for Jason Reid, he let the cat out of the bag this summer in an interview on 106.7 where he said his relationship with RG3 isn't good, he isn't a source for him, some history over a column.  And Jason sounded bitter about it.  Reid is the same guy who in 2012 called RG3 the Michael Jordan of football, the dude beyond liked him, he raved about him.  But now Reid is leading the bandwagon about RG3 being the next Jamarcus Russell.    On twitter last night he was still bashing RG3 and retweeted critical tweets from fans about him.

I didn't know about the Reid situation....not surprising......the media always has agenda's.....this is why I don't believe most of what they say.   That's why when they bash Snyder or say he's meddling, etc..., I usually don't believe it.  

I keep hearing how Gruden has simplified the offense, etc....really?  how?    

I'd like to know why we ran only one zone read play action pass?    no zone reads at all.....very few bootlegs....we never sprint or roll out.     If we did those things in addition to some more max protections; RG3 would thrive.

Problem with coaches is that they think it's about their "system"....no, it's about the talent on your team.

I was most impressed with the progression of his game - he stepped up in the pocket, planted and threw instead of in the past what looked like him "feeling" the pressure and taking off.   That means to me that he is settling down and I thought the O line gave him some time which I really do not think they have been doing all year.  Real good game for his confidence and something to really build upon.   That is what I think a lot of us wanted to see.  And of course taking a few shots down field.

The guy is showing me he is a warrior.  No quit. Don't count him out.  I have to admit I was really thinking he was done psychologically, emotionally but he has rallied. 

That one throw that Roberts dropped was textbook.  Griffin stepped up and threw it right where it needed to be and it just fell through Roberts hands.  Had he caught it, it would have been in stride for a nice gain.  I love to see those types of passes.

RG3 may not be the greatest quarterback that ever lived. He just has to be good enough. He has to make a couple plays and not turn the ball over. I look back on those super bowl wins and they were team efforts. This team needs to get solid. Gruden's benching him was a smart move.  

I regret clicking and reading this thread. Facebook posts? That's what we are talking about after a win where our qb looked decent and made plays when he needed? Yeah, let's complain about Facebook posts. Why enjoy a win and all the positive stuff we saw from our young players.

You guys are something else

Frankly he's deserved the criticism. He's underperformed, is self absorbed, he's throw teammates under the bus, and from what we've heard, is isolated from teammates and appears thin skinned. 

So you know him personally that you can judge his character (this question should also get asked to all the talking heads - as if they hang out with Robert to judge him). I'm just asking an honest question or are you going off what "he/she said"?

I'm not going to defend him, as he has made some mistakes in the media as well on the field but to attack his character as you have in your post, with unfounded second & third hand statements is not cool (cleaned it up a little :-))

However, you are more than welcome to your opinion, I personally hope you are wrong and we don't have to dig back into the draft to search for the unicorn.

Griffin played better, certainly played well enough for us to win and got the job done, but let's not call yesterday some great resurrection. He got away with a stare down of Garcon on a slant in the red zone that #27 for Philly jumped and dropped for an INT. and possible pick 6 early in the game and his pick on the throw to Jackson was an underthrow on a poor decision. There was another poorly thrown ball toward the sideline late in the game (Moss?) that hit the Philly defender in the back of his head and had he turned around in time, it could have been a disastrous INT. There were also times when he still held onto the ball for too long and he is still too indecisive at times. Let's not forget that Philly missed two very makeable FG's that had they made probably changes the outcome of the game and everything wouldn't be so rosy on here this morning. 

I'm not nit picking on Griffin's play and do think he took some steps in the right direction yesterday. His throws to Jackson, though not perfect, were well thrown balls with good touch that only Jackson could catch. He seemed to have much better pocket awareness and looked more confident overall. But most importantly, he led several scoring drives when they were desperately needed and that was great to see. Yesterday was an overall good day for Griffin and the Redskins and despite the win only bringing us to 4-11, I felt really good about the win and look forward to the finale against Dallas next week. Griffin obviously still has a ton of work to do, but hopefully he can continue further improvement next week and go into the offseason with some confidence and positive momentum. 

How about if Griff finds a QB guru from the West Coast scheme that can help him timing up his drops, his footwork, his eyes, and to help him understand the concepts that he needs to master.  Then when he can work with Gruden again he can to continue to work on the things that are important to this team.

Maybe find a veteran WR that he can throw to that has played in this type of offense.  Someone to help him with matching up the drops with the route timing along with a QB coach.

Edit - RG3 can hire Jon Gruden, he doesn't work for the team!

I thought Jay Gruden was being paid $4 million dollars a year primarily to teach Robert QB fundamentals but I guess he's got his hands full regressing as a play caller. Well... we know Jay wasn't hired for his exceptional press conference savvy or because he uses the run to set up the pass. "I'm so confused!!!" (in my Juan Epstein voice) 

I thought Jay Gruden was being paid $4 million dollars a year primarily to teach Robert QB fundamentals but I guess he's got his hands full regressing as a play caller. Well... we know Jay wasn't hired for his exceptional press conference savvy or because he uses the run to set up the pass. "I'm so confused!!!" (in my Juan Epstein voice) 

Fundamentals are basics, I would like to think Rg3 does need to learn basics 3 years into his career.  Jay has taken just as much crap as Rg3 has and I agree he deserves much of it.  I don't ever remember reading that Gruden came here specifically to develop or teach Rg3 the fundamentals of playing QB.

So you know him personally that you can judge his character (this question should also get asked to all the talking heads - as if they hang out with Robert to judge him). I'm just asking an honest question or are you going off what "he/she said"?

I'm not going to defend him, as he has made some mistakes in the media as well on the field but to attack his character as you have in your post, with unfounded second & third hand statements is not cool (cleaned it up a little :-))

However, you are more than welcome to your opinion, I personally hope you are wrong and we don't have to dig back into the draft to search for the unicorn.

I'm not attacking his character. I think the things I've said are well documented. I don't think he's a bad guy like Jeff George. Self absorbed? I would say that's very accurate, or was accurate. I've never seen a player do a hour long comeback video from an injury and constantly market your sponsors. Jay has brought him back down to earth.

Griffin played better, certainly played well enough for us to win and got the job done, but let's not call yesterday some great resurrection. He got away with a stare down of Garcon on a slant in the red zone that #27 for Philly jumped and dropped for an INT. and possible pick 6 early in the game and his pick on the throw to Jackson was an underthrow on a poor decision. There was another poorly thrown ball toward the sideline late in the game (Moss?) that hit the Philly defender in the back of his head and had he turned around in time, it could have been a disastrous INT. There were also times when he still held onto the ball for too long and he is still too indecisive at times. Let's not forget that Philly missed two very makeable FG's that had they made probably changes the outcome of the game and everything wouldn't be so rosy on here this morning. 

I'm not nit picking on Griffin's play and do think he took some steps in the right direction yesterday. His throws to Jackson, though not perfect, were well thrown balls with good touch that only Jackson could catch. He seemed to have much better pocket awareness and looked more confident overall. But most importantly, he led several scoring drives when they were desperately needed and that was great to see. Yesterday was an overall good day for Griffin and the Redskins and despite the win only bringing us to 4-11, I felt really good about the win and look forward to the finale against Dallas next week. Griffin obviously still has a ton of work to do, but hopefully he can continue further improvement next week and go into the offseason with some confidence and positive momentum.

Probably the most accurate post of his performance.

Archived