Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DS: London Fletcher: DC Jim Haslett "Clueless" w/ video

DC9

Media guys claim they knew all types of stuff about Fletcher but continued the "he's a great person/leader" narrative up until now? And you guys believe that bull****? They are attacking Fletcher because he's attacking one of their sources for team leaks. It's purely a self-perservation move in order for them to continue to be the TMZ of sports media. And yet people are in here citing their displeasure as if it's proof that Fletcher was wrong. 

And yet people are in here citing their displeasure as if it's proof that Fletcher was wrong. 

I've read 95% of this thread and I don't see anyone claiming that Fletcher was wrong on the merits of what he said about Haslett.  

There's no doubt that Fletcher's statements were correct.  Haslett is terrible.  That's not the issue being discussed in this thread.

The issue is whether or not Fletcher was out of line.  I for one think Fletcher was way out of line.  I think that 1) he was trying to say something controversial in hopes of helping his career in broadcasting;   2) he's not that bright or well-spoken and needed to go out on a limb:  3) he's gotten his bell wrung a few times and his judgment isn't very good at this point.  

Some might disagree with that assessment, fine.    But the issue is not whether Fletcher was correct about Haslett.  That's undisputed.   Fletcher was correct.  Haslett is a joke.   But just because Fletcher was correct about Haslett does not make him right to have made these statements.  

My respect for London Fletcher just keeps growing.

FINALLY someone with the guts to give us fans a voice, to say what we have been saying for years.  When has Fletcher EVER spoken up about anyone, so the fact he did so this time tells you a lot about Haslett.  For all of those bashing Fletcher for this, I think you dont understand what courage and character is.  Fletcher had no reason he had to say anything, and anytime you speak out you know you will be ripped for anything negative.  If Haslett has been speaking behind peoples backs and manipulating things, such as the media, then hes an absolute snake, and the ONLY way to out that is like this.  

Lets face it, the reason the Redskins franchise is terrible is BECAUSE of fans that continue to not have the guts to call a spade a spade.  They continue to defend terrible coaches, terrible owners, terrible players in the name of "being nice".  Im as non-confrontational a guy as there is, but one thing you learn in life is sometimes you have to speak out and say things that are true and seem mean.  To do otherwise is to show a lack of character.

Media guys claim they knew all types of stuff about Fletcher but continued the "he's a great person/leader" narrative up until now? And you guys believe that bull****? They are attacking Fletcher because he's attacking one of their sources for team leaks. It's purely a self-perservation move in order for them to continue to be the TMZ of sports media. And yet people are in here citing their displeasure as if it's proof that Fletcher was wrong. 

I'm so angry right now that so many are buying it, too. London Fletcher might have, literally, been the only consistently bright spot on this team who came to work every day, studied the film properly, and understood his role completely. Every player, when asked about him, said he was the consummate professional and they learned directly from him how to prepare. And unlike everyone else on this team, he proved it on the field. Always. Even when his legs couldn't keep up, he still knew where to be at all times and was never caught out of position. His decline was solely physical and out of his control.   

Now his character is coming into question because he stood up and did something that would only benefit us fans? While the team was rewarding a snake like Haslett for backing Danny against Shanny instead of making a decision BASED ON WINNING FOOTBALL GAMES, Fletcher is exposing them in a way that would only benefit us.  

Are some of you serious? Fletcher has more action put to his words than anyone on this team COMBINED. I've never been so ashamed of Skins fans, honestly. Give me a break.   

So what if he made it personal. It is. All of us on here are so sick of how this organization treats our loyalty, and now we don't want someone who's not even a part of the organization any longer "to get personal", especially considering it only exposes the team for willingly giving the fans a crap product? You kidding me?

Thank you so much, London Fletcher, for getting personal.    

And the lesson here in instructive when it comes not only to sports media but expands to all media.  It's interesting to see how people don't understand the "journalism" game (not just money, either, there's an agenda and it's spread to sports and even video game coverage.)

My issue with London isn't that I think he's some kind of jerk or anything now. It's that by making it personal, he took the air out of what he was saying somewhat. Why? Think about it. So many people are arguing about if London was justified or not. Meanwhile, Haslett says all the right things.

Instead of focusing on just the football points London made, people are having to focus on whether or not London attacked Haslett's kid or question his professionalism.

Agree with what he did or not, he took sting out of his comments by being personal and vindictive.

If he had stuck to football, laid out his opinion and left the personal stuff out of it, there would be less (there would still be debate) debate about London's character and more focus on Haslett.

That's why I'm a little disappointed.

My issue with London isn't that I think he's some kind of jerk or anything now. It's that by making it personal, he took the air out of what he was saying somewhat. Why? Think about it. So many people are arguing about if London was justified or not. Meanwhile, Haslett says all the right things.

Instead of focusing on just the football points London made, people are having to focus on whether or not London attacked Haslett's kid or question his professionalism.

Agree with what he did or not, he took sting out of his comments by being personal and vindictive.

If he had stuck to football, laid out his opinion and left the personal stuff out of it, there would be less (there would still be debate) debate about London's character and more focus on Haslett.

Agreed, Fletchers character assassination of Haslett took a lot of the sting out of the facts he presented. Never the less #59 put his name on it and backed it up with facts.

After he presented the facts there should not be a single doubt in anyone's mind that Haz has to go pronto.

I can respect folks who don't like the way in which Fletcher went about this.  I don't really like the personal attacks either.  The thing that has me though, is that he's saying Haslett isn't a good character guy himself.  I'm not sure how you convey that without it coming across somewhat impolitic and aggressive.

So so far it seems defensive teammates...no longer playing...that were here when Haslett was seem to generally be supporting London, and those that weren't here when Haz was don't like it.

Take that for what it's worth.

Evidence in support of London is that the media theme this offseason was "Haslett was held back and sabotaged by meddling Mike Shanahan." Shanahan picked him up off if the scrap heap and got him back in the NFL again and as soon as Mike is out, Jimmy's defense suddenly found a scapegoat. Where's the loyalty? Where's the class?

I guess it really is classier to do your finger pointing anonymously.

After he presented the facts there should not be a single doubt in anyone's mind that Haz has to go pronto.

i'm no expert, so someone correct me or shed some light on this, but i thought some of the examples he gave were questionable. (now, thats not to mean that haslett shouldnt be let go- he absolutely should).

one of the plays was where fleener came oout down the left sideline and was wide open while a WR running a deeper route was double covered.

i thought it was determined (maybe on cooleys film breakdown) that on that play, amerson or whoever was supposed to cover fleener, so was it a bad play call, or bad execution. 

kind of reminiscent of kyles playcalling at times. i criticized it, but most of the time, there were guys open, griff just didnt get them the ball. 

anyway, just something i was wondering.

Evidence in support of London is that the media theme this offseason was "Haslett was held back and sabotaged by meddling Mike Shanahan." Shanahan picked him up off if the scrap heap and got him back in the NFL again and as soon as Mike is out, Jimmy's defense suddenly found a scapegoat. Where's the loyalty? Where's the class?

one thing i dont get about that, is haslett had a reputation as some kind of snake, or a backstabber, wouldnt someone as savvy and experienced and connected like shanahan know this? if so, why would he hire him in the first place? and why not fire him when it was clear he wasnt very good. hell, he wasnt even experienced in the scheme.

i'm no expert, so someone correct me or shed some light on this, but i thought some of the examples he gave were questionable. (now, thats not to mean that haslett shouldnt be let go- he absolutely should).

one of the plays was where fleener came oout down the left sideline and was wide open while a WR running a deeper route was double covered.

i thought it was determined (maybe on cooleys film breakdown) that on that play, amerson or whoever was supposed to cover fleener, so was it a bad play call, or bad execution. 

kind of reminiscent of kyles playcalling at times. i criticized it, but most of the time, there were guys open, griff just didnt get them the ball. 

anyway, just something i was wondering.

First of all, I am going to take Fletcher's beakdown of defensive play calls over Cooley's. With that said I agree with the part that Amerson screwed that play up. The defense is ran by not 1 but 2 former HCs, Haz and Raheem Moris. The lack of discipline the team has shown is a direct reflection of the coaching IMO.

As far as Kyle's play calling and RG3 not finding the open the reciever sometimes. Well it happens even with the great QBs. I am not here to defend RG3. He himself has a roll to play in this putrid offense, but I do not want to side track this thread.

I'm not in the media or anything, but if it was me I would have called a local reporter that I could trust, and sit down to do an interview with them in a calm, peaceful, and fair manner.  Maybe show a little emotion in a way that indicates he cares about the guys and the team as he said he does.  Maybe on a couch in front of a fireplace, lol.

They could have discussed why he feels the Skins may move on from Haz based on film, and maybe sprinkle in some personal examples of former coaches that had better attention to detail in situations that he could show Haz did not.  In a classy way like everyone else.

You don't have to pour the whole can of gas to get a fire around here.

I could paint 1000 better scenarios for him to release this than him standing on a stage stuttering with one of the biggest A-holes to the Skins in the media today.

Adam freaking Shine?  I mean London, dude.  To go do that SOB made it so much worse for me.  I don't know if he has a show with him or what, but this was DC's story.  Shine gets off on our dysfunction more than anyone else I know.  I could see him prodding Fletch on backstage preparing in my mind.  "OOOh Man this is a great take, more, more... You're gonna really have to have a strong take to make him pay!!!"

First of all, I am going to take Fletcher's beakdown of defensive play calls over Cooley's. With that said I agree with the part that Amerson screwed that play up. The defense is ran by not 1 but 2 former HCs, Haz and Raheem Moris. The lack of discipline the team has shown is a direct reflection of the coaching IMO.

As far as Kyle's play calling and RG3 not finding the open the reciever sometimes. Well it happens even with the great QBs. I am not here to defend RG3. He himself has a roll to play in this putrid offense, but I do not want to side track this thread.

i dont want to sidetrack it either, but, its interesting that he chose that play to criticize haslett. 

im starting to think theres something to the theory of him getting is bell rung a few too many times. 

Adam freaking Shine?  I mean London, dude.  To go do that SOB made it so much worse for me.  I don't know if he has a show with him or what, but this was DC's story.  Shine gets off on our dysfunction more than anyone else I know.  I could see him prodding Fletch on backstage preparing in my mind.  "OOOh Man this is a great take, more, more... You're gonna really have to have a strong take to make him pay!!!"

personally, i thought scheins comment about "so, shanahan wrongly gets fired"

i'm sorry. "wrongly?"

even die hard shanahan apologists like kevin sheehan said he had to go. 

what an agenda driven windbag.

Picture this scenario...

Redskins lose next Sunday...bad....to the equally bad Giants..maybe another shutout because RG3 might be the starter...with players showing signs of quitting and frustration.

Snyder fires Gruden and makes Haslett the interim HC.

Haslett wins last 2 games against 2 playoff teams...both from our division.

Snyder rewards Haslett for those 2 wins with the permanent HC job and we go into next year with RG# as starting quarterback...Haslett as HC and Allen still President and GM

I really think this nightmare could happen...

might as well start looking for another team to follow if it does.

And the lesson here in instructive when it comes not only to sports media but expands to all media.  It's interesting to see how people don't understand the "journalism" game (not just money, either, there's an agenda and it's spread to sports and even video game coverage.)

yup, you both see it.

exactly

I kind of agree with ya on this KDawg. What's bothering the most in Fletch's speech, is that he admits, as if it casual, that he was changing call in the huddle. And that Haslett was well aware of this. And thus, by extension, every coaches must have known it.

Fletch can talk about Haslett ruining someone's reputation, but changing calls in the huddle, b/c they are supposedly stupid, and let everyone knows it, is kind of like the same thing. Many players on defense last years are still playing, and it's hard to believe in a coach system if players used to change calls. That fact alone makes me wonder why Haslett hasn't done one of the two things:

- A: Bench Fletcher once for all. He wasn't that great last year anyway.

- B: Dismiss because, finally the position he went was unbearable if you have some kind of honor.

But to go furthermore into this story, which is the more important for me, is, when did you change plays, which game? which down? what was the call, what did you call, and how went the play? The way Fletch is doing it it implies Has is clueless, which is Fletch's point, and that Fletch's knows better. OK, London, show us you know better, go get your coaching degrees, get a job in the NFL, get a job as DC, and show us what is a good coach. And I'd like to see how you would react if your captain on D use to change calls in the huddle b/c you just called something stupid.

That's just complete bull**** to me. How can I judge Haslett playcall abilities if players are changing call in the huddle? Sure the guys doesn't know how to get respect from his players and that should be enough to get rid of him. And also, in extension, if defense is changing calls in the huddle, it's probable the offense do the same here and there, maybe more.

So yeah, basically disappointed in Fletch b/c we're not talking about that, just bashing on Haslett b/c that's all we've got left. Don't like him much, not apologizing for him, still think we should not keep on with him. But I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy as he probably never deserved to get called like this by one of his ex players.

OK, London, show us you know better, go get your coaching degrees, get a job in the NFL, get a job as DC, and show us what is a good coach. And I'd like to see how you would react if your captain on D use to change calls in the huddle b/c you just called something stupid.

if he was changing the calls in the huddle cuz the calls were stupid, why was the defense still bad?

Archived