Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins at 49ers

Spaceman Spiff

6 points.  7 points.  13 points.  That's the output in Robert's 3 full games.  At least with Colt McCousins we had some semblance of an NFL offense that could put points on the board.

Minnesota was 26 points...

But still, that's pretty terrible. Of the three games you mentioned, the points that we did score were usually catalyzed by a turnover, long run, or YAC after a short catch. Robert doesn't lead us on enough TD drives and didn't in 2013 either.

A competent OC on third and long with game on the line and a rookie LT, at the min. chips that pass rusher from that side. Was that done on purpose and Jay let RG3 get buried. IDK. But seriously you don't do that.

If Griffin is benched tomorrow for either of the other two QBs on the roster, I will definitely wonder even more if the play calling was designed to show all the stuff Robert struggles at allowing him to make the change at QB position. That's not saying Gruden threw the game, it would be more of a they have practiced these things and in Griffins 3rd year he should be much better at them. Either he showed he could get it done or he has a reason to bench him the rest of the year because he can't consistently execute the basic fundamentals it takes to play the position. I really can't think of any other reasons to stick with basic drop back plays and not move Griffin and the pocket around. Like always it will be an interesting week and not the good interesting.

If Griffin is benched tomorrow for either of the other two QBs on the roster, I will definitely wonder even more if the play calling was designed to show all the stuff Robert struggles at allowing him to make the change at QB position. That's not saying Gruden threw the game, it would be more of a they have practiced these things and in Griffins 3rd year he should be much better at them. Either he showed he could get it done or he has a reason to bench him the rest of the year because he can't consistently execute the basic fundamentals it takes to play the position. I really can't think of any other reasons to stick with basic drop back plays and not move Griffin and the pocket around. Like always it will be an interesting week and not the good interesting.

*standing ovation* for this and your previous, longer reply.

It's almost feeling like we were sold a bill of goods regarding Gruden's intentions with Robert.  Look, if Gruden upon being hired made the QB competition open from the get-go, and then determined that Kirk or Colt was the guy to run his offense then so be it, we would have a lot of angry folks, but at least it would be a forward and direct approach and Robert would have still had a chance to win the competition.

However, what is baffling is that week after week Gruden seems to be calling a specific offense meant to be run by someone other than Robert.   So the question is, why did we hire Gruden?  Gruden was hired to make Robert better, not fundamentally change him into another kind of QB.  If Gruden requires an Andy Dalton proto-type to run his offense then he should have made it clear to begin with instead of this passive-aggressive attitude and approach to Robert.

Look, whether you like the read option or not, it is working in the NFL with QB's who can run it.  Doesn't mean every play has to be run out of the pistol....(it never was in 2012 either) but as a coach and O-coordinator you should be designing an offense around what your QB can do. 

I just.......don't know anymore.  This organization.....this organization. Ugh.

So now we're mad at gruden for not calling plays to get rg3 out of the pocket? It's not grudens fault that rg3 can't be counted on to run plays out of the pocket. That is so backwards, he's holding the coaches hostage, they can't even call the plays they want.

That 3rd down redzone play to helu was a good example. They weren't even trying

Honestly, I have no idea what's going on with this organization. Now, I am indifferent towards benching of Griffin and I think he's been awful the last two games. I think he played poorly last season as well. Here's what is confusing me. He wasn't this inept last season. He had games where he looked legit (Bears, Vikings, Chargers, maybe couple more, not sure). This season with a small sample, he's looked pretty good versus Vikings. Now, after the bye, he isn't capable of making the simplest of decisions as a QB. Something must have happened after the Vikings game and before the Bucs game. No one can tell me that after the Vikes game, he would look like he doesn't belong in the NFL. I have nothing to go on, but I am pretty confident something happened. 

I'm sure Danny is already trying to figure out how to dig us a deeper hole and go after Jameis Winston.

Honestly, if we draft that a$$ clown, I will have to seriously consider renouncing my fandom.  That would be a back breaker.

I hope Griffin leaves DC and has a HOF career thus taking a piss on everyone who turned on him after 2years.

Seriously?  Not that I'm even remotely concerned about that..........

Were you here for Jason Campbell?

Oh crap.  Now we've gone and done it.  All these years of therapy to rid myself of all that and "he" has been brought up again.  Damn you!

Tom Brady is just as big a part of his o-lines success as they are in his.  

Bingo.

He was terrible for most of last season as well. The games you mentioned were the exception. Many on here were on to him… some were concerned but holding out hope that it was the injury or lack of an offseason. He was benched at the end of the season.

People forget how bad he looked this preseason also… very much like he didn't belong in the NFL.

So now we're mad at gruden for not calling plays to get rg3 out of the pocket? It's not grudens fault that rg3 can't be counted on to run plays out of the pocket. That is so backwards, he's holding the coaches hostage, they can't even call the plays they want.

a good coach designs his offense around his players.  Or would you prefer a Spurrier, who creates his offense and will run it no matter what?

thing was that we were hearing rumblings of his regression in TC but we ignored them

Maybe the Patriots were onto something

a good coach designs his offense around his players. Or would you prefer a Spurrier, who creates his offense and will run it no matter what?

RG3 can barely even get his footwork together. The play calling can't help that

a good coach designs his offense around his players.  Or would you prefer a Spurrier, who creates his offense and will run it no matter what?

What offense do you design for a guy who every expert confirms cannot execute the basic fundamentals of QB play, can't read a defense, can't remember how many steps to take on his drop, forgets that he has a fullback in the game and fumbles running into, can not execute ANY play that requires going through a progression and who looks like he is exploding and may never get up every time he gets hit?

Honestly, I have no idea what's going on with this organization. Now, I am indifferent towards benching of Griffin and I think he's been awful the last two games. I think he played poorly last season as well. Here's what is confusing me. He wasn't this inept last season. He had games where he looked legit (Bears, Vikings, Chargers, maybe couple more, not sure). This season with a small sample, he's looked pretty good versus Vikings. Now, after the bye, he isn't capable of making the simplest of decisions as a QB. Something must have happened after the Vikings game and before the Bucs game. No one can tell me that after the Vikes game, he would look like he doesn't belong in the NFL. I have nothing to go on, but I am pretty confident something happened. 

Perhaps, maybe he wants to get rid of Jay Gruden. He can't be this bad.

BTW has anyone called out McVay, seems to be hiding behind all this mess.

thing was that we were hearing rumblings of his regression in TC but we ignored them

Maybe the Patriots were onto something

Yeah. They said that Cousins looked better. And man did Kirk light up the scoreboards when he started, right? RIGHT?

Tom Brady is holding his coach hostage by not being a scrambling quarterback. He's forcing Belichick to play him in the pocket. What a scumbag Tom Brady is.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Gruden is trying to make Robert fail, well at least I'm not, but I do see a situation where we have a QB that was successful at running an offense as a rookie.  You can pull out any excuse you want like "It was a college offense" or whatever, but it sure as hell worked in the NFL with pretty much only Garcon and part-time Fred Davis as receiving weapons.  And Robert's deep ball seemed to be pretty damn accurate that year.  Also, that style offense is still being ran in the NFL. It's not like that system or a hybrid has since become ineffective, nope it is still being ran with success.

My point is, when Gruden took the job and immediately declared Robert to be the QB, was he doing it with the impression that he would be able to fundamentally change him into a different kind of QB?  Was he just paying lip service to Snyder & Allen because he wanted to be a head coach?  Did he see enough of Robert on film to believe he could be an Andy Dalton kind of QB?  

Obviously whatever is going on now is not working. Whoever is to blame will be debated every day on the board.  I am not here to blame either party in particular with this post, no, I more want to try and understand what was going on in Gruden's head when it came to Robert as a QB?  Did he feel he had to say Robert was the franchise QB in order to get hired?  Did he ever believe it, does he still believe it?

I don't think anyone is suggesting Gruden is trying to make Robert fail, well at least I'm not, but I do see a situation where we have a QB that was successful at running an offense as a rookie.  You can pull out any excuse you want like "It was a college offense" or whatever, but it sure as hell worked in the NFL with pretty much only Garcon and part-time Fred Davis as receiving weapons.  And Robert's deep ball seemed to be pretty damn accurate that year.  Also, that style offense is still being ran in the NFL. It's not like that system or a hybrid has since become ineffective, nope it is still being ran with success.

My point is, when Gruden took the job and immediately declared Robert to be the QB, was he doing it with the impression that he would be able to fundamentally change him into a different kind of QB?  Was he just paying lip service to Snyder & Allen because he wanted to be a head coach?  Did he see enough of Robert on film to believe he could be an Andy Dalton kind of QB?  

Obviously whatever is going on now is not working. Whoever is to blame will be debated every day on the board.  I am not here to blame either party in particular with this post, no, I more want to try and understand what was going on in Gruden's head when it came to Robert as a QB?  Did he feel he had to say Robert was the franchise QB in order to get hired?  Did he ever believe it, does he still believe it?

My question is simpler: Why does it seem like we called more rollout plays for McCoy and Cousins than we are calling for Griffin? 

My question is simpler: Why does it seem like we called more rollout plays for McCoy and Cousins than we are calling for Griffin?

This is just an assumption and I hope one of the more technical posters can help but when we did run rollouts, the outside LB would stay home on RG3, negating the rollout and putting him in danger. I figure it's cuz of the run threat

Colt and KC aren't really run threats so the LB probably wouldn't stay home for them

I'm a baseball player by trade so if I'm 100% wrong, im sorry lol

RG3 can barely even get his footwork together. The play calling can't help that

What's baffling me is that we had a super talented QB out of college who earned the ROY award, and we turned him into a below average QB. It seems that most ohe has lost it, and I'm not sure he can comeback evnthough I'm still hoping.

This is just an assumption and I hope one of the more technical posters can help but when we did run rollouts, the outside LB would stay home on RG3, negating the rollout and putting him in danger. I figure it's cuz of the run threat

Colt and KC aren't really run threats so the LB probably wouldn't stay home for them

I'm a baseball player by trade so if I'm 100% wrong, im sorry lol

That rollout where we leave the edge rusher completely untouched and then roll the QB right towards him (after a fake handoff  to slow him down and give the rusher time to get close to him) is a failure. We used it a lot in the preseason with both Griffin and Cousins and it never worked, we've run it during the season and it never works.

On the boot that worked today, Paul chipped the man before he went out. From re-etching it, I'm not even 100% sure he meant to. But he did and that's why Griffin had time to make the play. 

Archived