Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins at 49ers

Spaceman Spiff

1188_zps7e2e3e69.gif

sf1_zps7f8403d5.gif

TK here-

Greetings from San Jose where the weather is MUCH nicer then the 23 degree mess back home when I the house. Me n Spiffy are getting ready to head off to Levi's Stadium, though neither of us is actually wearing Levi's. Hope they're pretty loose with the dress code. :)

Yes, Jumbo, we ARE wearing pants though. :P

Can any of the locals tell us why no one here opens for breakfast before 7-8am other then Jack In The Box?

Anyways, packing up & about to leave out, here's your stat pack to mull over till game time.

stripebreak_zpsef454232.gif

Game Notes and Post Game Wrap-up by Spaceman Spiff

Ugh.  Where to start, where to start....and what can you say that hasn't already been said?

Me, personally, I thought this game was going to be a blowout.  This team comes into Levi's Stadium with a 3-7 record and on the heels of one of the worst weeks in recent memory from a press/drama perspective (and that's saying a lot).  The RG3 Subway Bob and Jay Gruden Sideshow played out for most of the week and, to me, everything was set up for a crushing defeat 3,000 miles away from home.

Well, it wasn't....THAT bad.  Depending on what you're looking at.  

The Good:  Alfred Morris had 21 carries for 125 yards.  Defense holding San Francisco to 17 points, 66 total rushing yards and winning the turnover battle 3-0.  Rookie Trent Murphy showing up with a forced fumble and Keenan Robinson continuing his great play.  Rookie Greg Ducre with a great interception.

The Bad:  The Redskins shooting themselves in the foot in a winnable game.  This narrative has played itself out so many times over the years as the Redskins were in a late and close situation where they had a chance to win a game and couldn't find a way to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.  Shortly into the 4th quarter the Redskins were looking at 2nd and 5 in their own territory with a Morris run that was called back due to an illegal formation, giving them a 2nd and 10 situation.  Morris carried for 5 yards bringing it to 3rd and 5 where RG3 made a complete pass to Roberts that would have resulted in a first down had Kory Lichtensteiger not been called for holding on the play.  That mistake stripped the Redskins of a first down and a chance to get back into an offensive rhythm, pushing them back to a 3rd and 15 situation that they couldn't dig themselves out of.  

On their final possession in the 4th quarter, DeSean Jackson received a punt deep in Redskins territory and Akeem Davis was called for a block in the back on the return, taking them back half the distance to the goal in a situation that they absolutely needed every yard they could get.  On the very next play, Morgan Moses was called for a false start and with roughly 1:30 left with no timeouts, there uphill battle approaching was just entirely too steep.

This is what the Redskins do.  This is what they've done for years and years.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  

But let's talk about what everyone wants to talk about and what everyone will be talking about this week and for the weeks moving forward...Subway Bob, of course.  And from where I'm sitting in the luxurious Levi's stadium press box, it was a tough pill to swallow.

His first quarter was atrocious.  Three attempts for one completion for 7 yards while taking 2 sacks for a loss of 16 total yards.  That was good for a 42.4 rating and he looked absolutely lost.  

The second quarter was a different story.  With 11:21 to go in the 2nd half the Skins took over on their 39 yard line after a 49ers punt and the offense went to work.  On a 3rd and 5 play, Griffin completed a short pass to Andre Roberts for a 7 yard gain where he was pushed out of bounds, good for a first down.  

The next play resulted in a quick pass to Garcon in the middle of the field for a gain of 24 yards, bringing the drive down to the San Francisco 25 yard line.  After a short Alfred Morris run for 2 yards, Griffin completed an 11 yard pass to Niles Paul on the sidelines for another first down, his third first down pass on the drive.  That set up a touchdown run for Alfred Morris a few plays later and the Redskins were looking at a tie game with a few minutes to go in the 2nd quarter.

After that drive I felt a bit of hope.  Maybe, JUST MAYBE he was coming alive.  It seemed a little bit like 2012 RG3, he moved around in the pocket, threw on the run, made some nice completions and looked like he was getting into a rhythm.  I've always thought he's started a little slow in some games so perhaps that would have been the case here.  

But it wasn't to be.  The second half looked to be a repeat of the first quarter as Subway Bob could only complete short passes and took more sacks.  The final straw, of course, the final play of the final possession...RG3 taking a sack and fumbling the ball up into the air only to have it intercepted by a 49ers defender.

An average team would have won this game.  An average team with an average offense would have won.  For some reason, Kyle Orton came to my mind when I made a post in the game thread, saying Kyle Orton would have won this game.  To me, Kyle Orton is the definition of average.  Stats might say otherwise, I have no idea what the actual statistical definition of an average NFL quarterback is, but in my mind it's Kyle Orton.  He plays average.  He looks average.  He's an average dude.

Colt probably wins this game.  If Colt plays like he did in Dallas, the Redskins win.  

A game where your running back goes for 125 yards at 5.5 yards a clip and you win a turnover battle 3-0 and you can't win?  What's the missing ingredient?

Subway Bob finishes 11/16 for 106 yards (not taking into account the sack yards lost, he totaled 77 yards) and hardly any impact on the game except for the brief flash in the 2nd quarter.  

The Ugly:  What's to come.  

It'll be an ugly week ahead, for sure.  I can already hear Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro chomping at the bit all the way from the press box in San Jose.  

I don't think we've seen the ugliest part of this whole mess yet.  There's more to come in the press, there's more stupid **** to come from Subway Bob's mouth, twitter account and facebook page.  You can bet there's going to be something from DeSean.  There's more quotes ahead from Gruden.  There's more speculation ahead about how much they dislike each other and how Subway Bob was never Gruden's guy to begin with.  More talk about how Subway Bob gets more playing time this year so we can tell for once or for all if there's anything left in the tank or if this 3 first round draft pick experiment is over.  More talk about how much Snyder is playing puppet master.

Have you had enough yet?  There's only more to come.

The ugliest and saddest part of it all?  There's no end in sight.  Unless you think Colt McCoy is somehow the future of the franchise, the next starting quarterback for the foreseeable future isn't on this roster.  

I admit to holding onto hope for Subway Bob for a long time as I can't forget how magical 2012 was and how good he was.  Unfortunately it took me 3,000 miles and a looming red-eye flight back to DCA for me to see that it's over and done. 

Sorry, my fellow Redskins fans.  Just when you thought they've bottomed out...

watchfor_zps8e79fc6b.gif

• The Redskins rushing for at least 150 yards in a second consecutive game for the first time since exceeding 150 yards in three straight games from Weeks 9-11 last season.

• The Redskins possessing the ball for 34 minutes or more for a second consecutive game for the first time since Weeks 2-3 this year.

• The Redskins making their Levi’s Stadium debut.

• The NFL’s most dependable starting running backs facing one another. San Francisco’s Frank Gore (54) and Washington’s Alfred Morris (42) have the two longest active streaks for consecutive starts by NFL running backs.

• Kicker Kai Forbath maintaining the highest field goal percentage in team history among players with at least 50 field goal attempts (86.2 percent).

• Wide receiver Pierre Garçon recording two touchdown receptions to match his single-season best as a member of the Redskins (five in 2013).

• Garçon compiling 38 receiving yards to reach 5,000 for his career.

• Garçon catching 12 passes to reach 400 career receptions.

• Quarterback Robert Griffin III (38) recording one passing touchdown to tie or two passing touchdowns to surpass Jay Schroeder (39) for 10th-most in Redskins history.

• Griffin III (7,166) throwing for 280 yards to pass Jay Schroeder (7,445) for 10th-most in team history.

• Griffin III scoring a rushing touchdown to tie Eddie LeBaron, Mark Rypien and Norm Snead for fourth-most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback in Redskins history (eight).

• Running back Roy Helu, Jr. scoring a receiving touchdown in a second consecutive game for the first time in his career and scoring a touchdown of any kind in consecutive games for the first time since Weeks 12-13 of the 2011 season.

• Helu, Jr. registering another 30-yard reception. This season, Helu, Jr. has become the first Redskins running back in records available dating
back to 1994 to record a reception of at least 30 yards in four games in a single season.

• Wide receiver DeSean Jackson improving upon his league-leading 20.5 yards per reception this season.

• Jackson recording four passes and 64 receiving yards to reach 400 career receptions and 7,000 career receiving yards, respectively.

• Jackson registering his sixth 100-yard receiving game this season to record six 100-yard games in one season by a single Redskins receiver for the fourth time since 1960 (Bobby Mitchell, 7 in 1962 and 6 in 1963; Art Monk, 6 in 1985).

• Jackson gaining 181 receiving yards to post the 28th 1,000-yard receiving season in team history. Jackson would become the fifth player to accomplish the feat in his first season in Washington (Bobby Mitchell in 1962, Henry Ellard in 1994, Laveranues Coles in 2003 and Santana Moss in 2005).

• Jackson adding to his league-leading totals in total touchdowns of 50-plus yards (20), receptions of 25-plus yards (85) and receptions of 50- plus yards (27) since entering the league in 2008.

• Jackson scoring another touchdown covering 50 yards or more to become the first member of the Redskins with four 50-yard touchdowns in a season since Santana Moss (four in 2005).

• Jackson recording a 50-plus yard touchdown to tie Ken Burrough and Devin Hester (21) for sixth most total touchdowns of 50 yards or more in the NFL since the 1970 merger.

• Defensive end Frank Kearse (3.0), safety Brandon Meriweather (3.0) and linebacker Keenan Robinson (1.5) adding to their career highs in sacks this season.

• Linebacker Ryan Kerrigan forcing a fumble to tie Ken Harvey (13) for the most forced fumbles by a member of the Redskins since 1994.

• Kerrigan recording two sacks to tie Andre Carter for seventh-most career sacks by a member of the Redskins since sacks became an official stat in 1982.

• Kerrigan recording one sack to match and/or 1.5 sacks to surpass his single-season career high (8.5) set previously in 2012 and 2013.

• Running back Alfred Morris maintaining the highest rushing average in team history (4.58).

• Morris recording multiple rushing touchdowns for a third time this season to match his career high (three multi-touchdown games in 2012).

• Morris rushing for 100 yards for the first time this season and the 11th time in his career.

• Morris recording another 70-yard rushing game. His 31 games with 70 or more rushing yards are the most in the NFL since he entered the league in 2012.

• Morris improving upon his career-best 104 receiving yards this season.

• Wide receiver Santana Moss scoring a touchdown to tie former teammate Clinton Portis for ninth most total touchdowns in team history (49).

• Tight end Niles Paul adding to his 33 receptions and 446 receiving yards this season, already single-season career highs.

• Punter Tress Way continuing his league-leading pace of 48.9 yards per punt. If maintained, Way’s average would rank second in team history, trailing only Sammy Baugh’s full-season NFL record (51.4 yards per punt in 1940).

• Way recording a 60-yard punt to become the first Redskins punter to record a 60-yard punt in five games in a single season since Matt Turk (five in 1998).

• Fullback Darrel Young tying a career high with his fourth total touchdown of the season. Young had four touchdowns a season ago (three rushing, one receiving).

winwould_zps355d0f1d.gif
... give the Redskins their second road win of the season.

... represent the Redskins’ second win against an NFC opponent this  season.

... surpass the Redskins’ win total from a season ago (three) with their  fourth victory of the season.

... be the Redskins’ first victory against an NFC West opponent since a  23-17 victory against the Seattle Seahawks on Nov. 27, 2011.

... represent the Redskins’ first road win against the 49ers since Dec.  18, 2004.

LEAUGELEADERS_zps9a4507b8.gif
Redskins Offense
- Ranks first in the NFL in yards after catch (1,659)
- Ranks first in the NFL in average yards after catch (7.1)
- Ranks second in the NFL in yards per first-down play (6.22)
- Ranks second in the NFC and third in the NFL in completion percentage (67.6%)
- Ranks tied for first in the NFC and tied for third in the NFL in longest pass reception (81 yards)
- Ranks tied for first in the NFC and tied for fourth in the NFL in 25+ yard passes (24)
- Ranks tied for second in the NFC and tied for fourth in the NFL in yards per play (6.0)
- Ranks third in the NFC and tied for fourth in the NFL in yards per reception (12.4)
- Ranks fourth in the NFC and fifth in the NFL in 10+ yard rushes percentage (12.6%)
- Ranks second in the NFC and tied for fifth in the NFL in yards per pass attempt (7.2)
- Ranks fourth in the NFC and sixth in the NFL in total yards on firstdown  plays (1,842)
- Ranks third in the NFC and seventh in the NFL in rushing touchdowns (10)
- Ranks fourth in the NFC and seventh in the NFL in net passing yards per game (270.8)
- Ranks fourth in the NFC and tied for seventh in the NFL in total net yards per game (380.4)
- Ranks fifth in the NFC and tied for ninth in the NFL in pass completions per game (23.4)
- Ranks fifth in the NFC in yards per rush (4.20)
- Ranks sixth in the NFC in 10+ yard rushes (33)
- Ranks seventh in the NFC in rushing yards per game (109.6)
- Ranks seventh in the NFC in first downs passing percentage (35.8%)

Redskins Defense
- Ranks first in the NFL in pass attempts allowed per game (32.3)
- Ranks first in the NFC and tied for second in the NFL in least first downs passing allowed (114)
- Ranks tied for second in the NFC and tied for fourth in the NFL in pass completions allowed per game (20.8)
- Ranks third in the NFC and sixth in the NFL in lowest 10+ yard rushes percentage allowed (8.0%)
- Ranks tied for third in the NFC and tied for seventh in the NFL in least 10+ yard rushes allowed (21)
- Ranks sixth in the NFC and ninth in the NFL in lowest first downs rushing percentage allowed (19.2%)
- Ranks fourth in the NFC and 10th in the NFL in lowest total net yards allowed (332.9)
- Ranks fifth in the NFC and 10th in the NFL in net passing yards allowed per game (228.7)
- Ranks tied for fourth in the NFC in the NFL in sacks (25)
- Ranks fifth in the NFC in rushing yards allowed per game (104.2)
- Ranks sixth in the NFC in rushing touchdowns allowed (6)
- Ranks seventh in the NFC in yards per rush allowed (3.99)

Redskins Special Teams
- Ranks first in the NFL in punting average (47.8)
- Ranks first in the NFL in longest punt (77 yards)
- Ranks fifth in the NFC in net punting average (40.0)

Redskins Players
- Kirk Cousins ranks first in the NFC and second in the NFL in passing yards per completion (13.57)
- Cousins ranks second in the NFL in yards per pass attempt (8.4)
- Cousins ranks tied for first in the NFC and tied for third in the NFL in longest pass completion (81t)
- Cousins ranks tied for fifth in the NFC and tied for 10th in the NFL in 25+ yard passes (17)
- Adam Hayward ranks tied for third in the NFL in special teams tackles (10)
- Roy Helu Jr. ranks first in the NFL among running backs in 25+ yard receptions (5)
- Helu Jr. ranks third in the NFL among running backs in yards per reception (11.4)
- Helu Jr. ranks third in the NFL in yards after catch average (12.7)
- Helu Jr. ranks second in the NFC and third in the NFL among running backs in receiving yards (366)
- DeSean Jackson ranks first in the NFL in yards per reception (20.5)
- Jackson ranks tied for first in the NFC and tied for third in the NFL in longest reception (81t)
- Jackson ranks tied for second in the NFC and tied for fifth in the NFL in 25+ yard receptions (10)
- Jackson ranks fifth in the NFC and ninth in the NFL in receiving yards (819)
- Jackson ranks sixth in the NFC and 10th in the NFL in receiving
yards per game (81.9)
- Ryan Kerrigan ranks fourth in the NFC and ninth in the NFL in sack
yards (50.5)
- Kerrigan ranks fourth in the NFC in sacks (7.5)
- Alfred Morris tied for third in the NFC and tied for fifth in the NFL in rushing touchdowns (6)
- Morris ranks sixth in the NFC and seventh in the NFL in rushing attempts (172)
- Morris ranks fifth in the NFC and eighth in the NFL in rushing yards (701)
- Morris ranks sixth in the NFC and eighth in the NFL rushing attempts per game (17.2)
- Niles Paul ranks tied for first in the NFL among tight ends in 25+ yard receptions (5)
- Paul ranks second in the NFC and fifth in the NFL among tight ends in yards per reception (13.5)
- Paul ranks tied for fourth in the NFC and tied for ninth in the NFL among tight ends in receiving yards (446)
- Andre Roberts ranks first in the NFC and tied for third in the NFL in percentage of receptions caught for first downs (81.5%)
- Roberts ranks fifth in the NFC and 10th in the NFL in total return yards (536)
- Roberts ranks sixth in the NFC in punt return average (8.5)
- Keenan Robinson ranks sixth in the NFC and 10th in the NFL in total tackles (82)
- Trenton Robinson ranks tied for sixth in the NFC in special teams tackles (9)
- Tress Way ranks first in the NFL in punting average (48.9)
- Way ranks first in the NFL in longest punt (77)
- Way ranks fourth in the NFC and ninth in the NFL in net punting average (40.9)

hbk_zpsf077f7fa.gif

Click ESPN 980 button below for the 

LIVE STREAM with Larry, Sonny, & Cooley

980_zpsf05a3cfc.gif[

After seeing the sun rise on the West Coast thos morning & set on the East Coast this evening, pics are finally up.

You can check out the ES Photo Stream HERE

Hey...my secret squirrel phone says you called last night...was afraid you got busted right away at the airport.

I'll drive down if I can hot-wire this guy's De Soto (I seem to have ended up in  a condo in some retirement community with whatever the opposite of a cougar is). The heli's dead. I can't find the keys anyway. I may have to trade the lenovo for whisky to make it. 

GO REDSKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO JAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO ROBERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO ALMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO GARCON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO DE SEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO (away please) Haslett!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even know what to evaluate at this point.

Looks like Trent will be down, so lets hope that Moses can handle Aldon Smith or Grudes won't need to hook Griffin.  Smith made Trent look pedestrian last year at Fed Ex.

Would be surprised not to see a lot of read option today.  It's what Griffin does best, even if he doesn't like to.

If someone told me at the start of the year we'd be going into this game with Breeland, Biggers and Porter as our CB's I would've got sick in their face. Sad times. 

Need to try to go back to classic Robert today. A lot of read option, bubble screens, the lot.

Lets hope it doesn't all go pear shaped. Because if it does, Robert is done here. 

I'm really beginning to lose faith in Gruden's ability to right this ship. Dragging RG3 through the mud and humiliating him in the media was completely unnecessary. If Griffin isn't your guy, bench him and be done with it. If the strategy of calling out players in the media is so successful, why is he the only coach I have ever seen use this strategy? All this added unneeded drama is frustrating to say the least. Also, if you listen to Gruden's comments this week, it would seem like RG3 is the sole reason we are a 3-7 team, despite the fact that he has only played in 3 full games. So my question to Gruden is, once you bench RG3 and the team continues to lose, who do you blame then? We all saw how well this strategy worked for Shanahan. 

I also believe his complete lack of patience with our young quarterbacks is not a positive sign for the future. I'm pretty sure Gruden was given the job because he said he could work with our quarterbacks and help them improve. However, after 4 games with Cousins and 3 games with Griffin, it seems he has closed the book on them and is ready to move on. Great, so what happens when we draft a new quarterback? Is Gruden going to bench him after 3-4 games and continue the merry-go-round of quarterbacks we have experienced over the last 20+ years? I really hope that things with Gruden work out, but this hot headed quick to quite on player mentality really has me concerned.

RG3 is NOT A new QB. He has REGRESSED drastically. I don't understand what many people aren't grasping here. 

IMO almost everything wrong with RG3 is mental, and not physical even with the injuries. He has mentally played himself out of the position. 

I like him as a human but as a NFL QB I've lost my patience. I hope he can prove me wrong, and bounce back and shut everyone up including me. 

HTTR. 

RG3 is NOT A new QB. He has REGRESSED drastically. I don't understand what many people aren't grasping here.

I give him a half. People want to say it's his first year in a new system. Well it's also Kirk & Colt's first year as well. They at least get the ball out. Griff isn't trusting what he sees & isn't throwing to a spot before the WRs get there.

Archived