Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins at 49ers

Spaceman Spiff

He was terrible for most of last season as well. The games you mentioned were the exception. Many on here were on to him…

The FIRST snap in the first game vs Philly and it was already obvious the dude wasn't right.

My question is simpler: Why does it seem like we called more rollout plays for McCoy and Cousins than we are calling for Griffin? 

Have you noticed how accurate RG3 is throwing on the run lately?

Remember the 1st play vs Tampa (INT) Remember the last play vs Minnesota (in the dirt) many more examples of the same thing. He starts running, short arms it into the dirt with precision that McNabb would be proud of.

Honestly, I have no idea what's going on with this organization. Now, I am indifferent towards benching of Griffin and I think he's been awful the last two games. I think he played poorly last season as well. Here's what is confusing me. He wasn't this inept last season. He had games where he looked legit (Bears, Vikings, Chargers, maybe couple more, not sure). This season with a small sample, he's looked pretty good versus Vikings. Now, after the bye, he isn't capable of making the simplest of decisions as a QB. Something must have happened after the Vikings game and before the Bucs game. No one can tell me that after the Vikes game, he would look like he doesn't belong in the NFL. I have nothing to go on, but I am pretty confident something happened. 

It is strange the extent that RG3 has regressed from the Shanny 2013 non zone read offense to what we see now.  I would disagree that he looked good vs Vikings, and then something happened.  He did hit those deep plays to DJax, but those are still 1 read type of plays.

Whether holding the ball or not, the fact that the OL has been called into question for almost 2 decades straight and has destroyed the careers of three 1st round QBs, how is that not the obvious problem to some??

Evidence further by the fact that the Cowboys invested heavily in their OL and look at the increased production this year. If there is enough evidence both here and around the league that is so apparent to us, the novices, why not at the FO? As my Uncle used to say, if the employee is that incompetent, who hired them?who trained them, and then as for the managers, who hired them? So he would say that he needed to do a better job. GET IT DAN!

Evidence further by the fact that the Cowboys invested heavily in their OL and look at the increased production this year. If there is enough evidence both here and around the league that is so apparent to us, the novices, why not at the FO? As my Uncle used to say, if the employee is that incompetent, who hired them?who trained them, and then as for the managers, who hired them? So he would say that he needed to do a better job. GET IT DAN!

Speaking of that Dallas o line did any one watch that game? Talk about holding the ball, the Dallas QB on many occasions could have had tea and crumpets back there. I envy that offensive line, say what they want about Jerry the young guys they drafted are playing some good football.

^^Saw the last Dallas drive and it made me sick.

Romo sat in the pocket, sat in the pocket, sat in the pocket, didnt scramble, sat in the pocket for literally 7 seconds...7 freakin seconds!!!!! (they showed the stopwatch on screen)

Then in the same drive at the goal line he held the ball for just about the same amount of time.

Sickening. Sickening when Jerry Jones builds a better OL then our FO.

For the life of me I cant understand how they cant help the players succeed? Did they run any screens to slow down that pass rush? Why is Helu or any RB out of the backfield and not helping pass block on longer routes? Why cant RG just throw the ball at someones feet to get rid of it instead of tacking a sack? I cringe every time he drops back, i just feel like something bad is going to happen to him. Why cant they stop getting penalties putting them in 3rd and long.

Cooley mentioned Kirk Cousins use to go directly to the check down if the primary wasn't there, with the lack of time this O line provides  i would take that instead of RG taking those shots trying to stand in the pocket and go through the progressions.

For the life of me I cant understand how they cant help the players succeed? Did they run any screens to slow down that pass rush? Why is Helu or any RB out of the backfield and not helping pass block on longer routes? Why cant RG just throw the ball at someones feet to get rid of it instead of tacking a sack? I cringe every time he drops back, i just feel like something bad is going to happen to him. Why cant they stop getting penalties putting them in 3rd and long.

Cooley mentioned Kirk Cousins use to go directly to the check down if the primary wasn't there, with the lack of time this O line provides  i would take that instead of RG taking those shots trying to stand in the pocket and go through the progressions.

Yeah there's a lot of legit questions about the game plan.

2nd pass play of the game what should you call for a struggling QB against one of the best front 7s in the NFL? 5 step drop without play action.

There are many more curious calls and omissions- we only throw RB screens to Helu on 3rd down, we never do half-roll or half-boot we always do full boot even though we NEVER block/chip the edge defender (it happened this game by accident 1 time), we almost never call slants (the only one I recall was the TD to DeSean vs Vikes), only threw 2 WR screens, didn't give Moses any help, we didn't repeat effective play calls

I posted this in some thread before the game---whaddya all think of the comment after watching the game plan (i know I'll get some biased answers--cool with me).

keep in mind it's a claim made in a tweet...

#Redskins will try to make life easy for RGIII today: Quick throws to playmakers, easy reads, ball out fast. They’ve tinkered all week.

It's virtually impossible to create a gameplan for him. He will not throw the ball to any receiver that isn't completely uncovered unless it's a called screen, a called shot downfield, or a called quick out. You can only do so much of that before the guy is going to have to make a read or throw the receiver open. He can't do those things so pulls the ball down and runs around in random geometric designs until somebody comes wide open or he gets sacked.

77 net passing yards... would have been less if one of the sacks didn't end up being a helmet to helmet penalty.

If Griffin's not a threat to run then he's not a threat. Since he can't run a traditional offense and make the necessary reads and progressions have him run RO again. His running opens things up not only for Morris, but for the receivers. 

If the coaches aren't willing to go back to RO then just bench him. It's clear he can't run a traditional pro offense and he's just getting worse. 

I posted this in some thread before the game---whaddya all think of the comment after watching the game plan (i know I'll get some biased answers--cool with me).

keep in mind it's a claim made in a tweet...

They called 2 WR screens and 1 RB screen.

Called no slants that I recall.

I would say that tweet was incorrect.

I didn't think the gameplan yesterday was very good.  After the opening WR screen, I thought we would see a lot of those plays called.

I don't think Gruden trusts Griffin and likewise, I don't think Griffin trusts Jay.  

I think Griffin's time in DC is over.  It's unfortunate.  I'd like to think that they are working to get on the same page, and that Gruden and Griffin are still feeling each other out.  But that's not what I see on the field.  I see two guys who have given up on each other.  I expect this circus to pitch a few more tents before it leaves town.

If Griffin's not a threat to run then he's not a threat. Since he can't run a traditional offense and make the necessary reads and progressions have him run RO again. His running opens things up not only for Morris, but for the receivers. 

If the coaches aren't willing to go back to RO then just bench him. It's clear he can't run a traditional pro offense and he's just getting worse. 

See what I don't get is when you look at the play selection from his best year, they ran read option plays on 10% of their snaps, (saw the stat the other day) that means the majority of the offense came from traditional plays. Why aren't those same type of plays working under Gruden?

I didn't think the gameplan yesterday was very good.  After the opening WR screen, I thought we would see a lot of those plays called.

I don't think Gruden trusts Griffin and likewise, I don't think Griffin trusts Jay.  

I think Griffin's time in DC is over.  It's unfortunate.  I'd like to think that they are working to get on the same page, and that Gruden and Griffin are still feeling each other out.  But that's not what I see on the field.  I see two guys who have given up on each other.  I expect this circus to pitch a few more tents before it leaves town.

So now we look back at Shanahan and say "gee, maybe he really didn't have it out for RG3 like we thought, 'cause now we see what it's really like to have a coach who dislikes him."  In retrospect, and Kevin Sheehan alluded to this, I think he shut RG3 down to protect him more than anything else.  He was going to get clobbered.  

Robert wasn't very good on rollouts either.  I remember very well one play where he rolled to his right and passed to Garçon.  Problem was that Garçon had been open for a good bit as RG3 was looking at him and running toward him.  By the time the pass came out Garçon had a lot less room to operate.  Just weird.  You know how they say as a QB gets better the game slows down for him?  The exact opposite with Robert, the game has sped up for him. 

Archived