Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2014 Redskins at 49ers

Spaceman Spiff

No. This O-line is nowhere near "average."  I have been watching this team and the NFL since the mid-sixties. It's one of the worst NFL O-lines I have ever seen.

It's not a good offensive line.  I agree.  But it's signficantly worse when Robert plays.  

The play calling wasn't good. Griffin wasn't good. The gameplan imho reflects a play caller that has no faith in the QB and either doesn't know or is unwilling to cater the offense to getting the QB in rhythm.

If Gruden wanted to prove he can't call plays with Griffin as his QB he's done it for me.

I have lost faith in Griffin with Jay Gruden as play caller. It's similar to how I lost faith in Cousins with Jay calling plays (without the public ridicule).

Jay has convinced me its time to move on to the next QB who hopefully won't get worse with each game as Jay calls plays.

Yeah, all that. I have no idea if Griffin will ever be a good NFL QB again, but I'm pretty confident he won't be under Gruden. It'd be fair to criticize Griffin for not learning how to run Gruden's offense, but I don't see how we can't also question Gruden's ability to call an offense for Griffin. It's just  a  marriage that never made sense from day 1 and clearly isn't working.

You need to realize something: Our OLIne is "average", not terrible. Have you ever asked yourself why our OLine always looks like garbage when RG3 is behind center, and suddenly they're refreshingly effective when RG3 is out? 

Granted, today was rougher than the last two due to Trent being out. 

Our line is below-average, but not hideously so.  Maybe 20th best out of 32 in the NFL.

The areas where our team is horrible, embarassing, bottom-5-in-the-NFL are:

Safeties (in coverage)

Starting QB

Good effort by the D and Morris. There was a lot of pressure on Griffin, and good coverage on a lot of plays, but still some missed opportunities. We were facing the same D which blanked Philly earlier, but 106 passing yards still sucks. I'm still willing to give Griff until the end of the year, but things aren't looking good now.

Agree that Robert needs to finish the season. He's obviously missing open guys, sometimes taking too long when the line just isn't good enough to give him that luxury. Last week was not good at all, but he looked better (mostly) today. The bottom line is that either the line is just total crap (they are) and messing up this O's ability to get any rhythm going whatsoever, or all of this effort to turn an apple (Robert) into an orange (pocket passer) has screwed him up. But this isn't something that benching him like last season is going to help .. it's going to certainly be the end of the RG3 era, and it's WAY early for that.

NEWSFLASH: We are NOT making the paloffs this season! We stick with what we've got and hope to build a base for next year when we hopefully have a couple of high O-line draftees.

Gruden deserves as much blame as the QB.  He didn't give him many opps to make something happen and when he did that joke of an OL rolled over.  Gruden was hired to coach up Robert- period.  He was failed at that job. And his boy Bruce Allen has failed at addressing our biggest need for 10 years- OL.  This organization is so messed up! Marty to Spurrier- Gibbs to Zorn - Shanahan to Gruden- there is a trend her folks- and no one can win with little big man in charge. sad but true!  And to think- we couldn't even suck well enough for Luck!

is is hail or hell?

I see many saying RG is broken. I'm just curious, do you think his injury has prevented a full comeback, or that he was over-rated from the beginning? Personally, I cannot decide, but I hate it's happening. Thanks!

he showed a strong arm, an ability to avoid interceptions and nice touch on passes his rookie year.  Hard to say he was over-rated from the beginning.

I see many saying RG is broken. I'm just curious, do you think his injury has prevented a full comeback, or that he was over-rated from the beginning? Personally, I cannot decide, but I hate it's happening. Thanks!

Injury barely into game 2. No time to jell in this offense. His speed is obviously not back which is probably a result of the ankle injury. Then, the O-line just isn't good, and TW being out this week made it tough. Moses is nothing but a revolving door. Add to this the asinine idea to turn him into Peyton Manning.

Or an offensive line but who needs one of those anyway

Going to respond to several of your posts here even though I did not quote them.

No excuse for Kirk. He moves the offense the best out of all our QB's. There is a reason moss and garçon routinely support him in the media and djax said he throws the best ball. But right now he's a turnover machine. Good Kirk and Bad Kirk I'm afraid.

Robert is absolutely atrocious at prett much everything. I don't really have a single positive thing to say about his game. I think he's a great guy and is tough as nails. No one will outwork him physically but the mental aspect of the game for a QB is everything and he is lost. The inability to succeed mentally at any part of the game has rendered all of his physical tools useless.

Colt McCoy is kind of the tweener. A savvy vet who moves the offense. While not as proficient at Kirk he also did not have the penchant for turnovers. He's not a long term answer but he is a decent short term one. If I had to choose two guys to move forward with I'd start colt and continue to groom Kirk. We have a wealth of talent in the backfield and receiving options. Kirk, for all his deficiencies, was making miles paul look like an all pro and djax was setting the league on fire.

As for the o line yes it needs work but they played well today. Probably the best run blocking ga,e as a whole I've seen all year. The defense was unbelievable today considering we were down amerson and Breeland. I lay this one 100% on Robert in a winnable game.

From an outsider looking in, and as a rival fan, it's clear he was over-rated from the start (not his fault, the media has a lot to do w/ that). That being said, he's not as bad as he's shown the last few weeks. He has more 'stuff' than this. He's in a very bad slump. I have to think it's in his head. He has the physical tools.

Little of the 1st, less the 2nd, but also his development was stifled by A) the system Shanahan had him in, and B ) the offensive line's issues.

Griffin had deficiencies when he came out, but his deficiencies would have probably proved less of an issue if we'd started from more of a WCO.  If Griffin was in year 3 of 3-5-7 step drops he might be farther along than he is now.

Sadly, what has happened has happened, and there's not much to be done.

he showed a strong arm, an ability to avoid interceptions and nice touch on passes his rookie year.  Hard to say he was over-rated from the beginning.

He was coddled, and they built an offense around his strengths instead of trying to improve his all around game and have him learn the nuances of the position at this level.  We went for the quick fix again, and it has ruined Subway Bob and set us back a decade.

Anyone who thinks Tom Brady's O-line isn't a big part of his success, I just don't know what to say.  Do you see how different he looks as a QB when he gets pressure in his face or are you watching ESPN and only seeing the 3-4 big plays a game.

You can't just take a stop watch and determine "3-4 seconds, he had 3-4 seconds, seeeeeee"  It doesn't work that way.  You can have 3-4 seconds before being sacked, but it doesn't mean there is a clean pocket that hasn't been pushed backwards.  It doesn't mean you aren't already flushed in one direction or another because the pocket has collapsed on you.

Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, when they are firing on all cylinders it is because they drop back and there isn't a danger of a Center being shoved into them, or a guard whiffing on a block, or a running back not recognizing which blocking assignment he should take on. I suppose comparing Robert to any of these guys is asinine to begin with, but I only did it because I have seen some folks actually try to say Brady would be successful behind this O-line.

3-4 seconds of time is not an across the board measurement.  You have to review game film and see what is taking place during that time.  I have no doubt that Robert misses plays, I am sure of it. He is a young QB still learning, of course he is going to do it.  But guess what, so do a lot of QB's, every single week.  I can almost guarantee you that just like holding, there is probably somebody wide open on every play, but those plays don't get made because somewhere in the sequence of events after the snap something goes wrong. Sometimes it is on Robert, sometimes it isn't.

Bottom line is that this team is too poor where it counts to blame a single player on it's woes.

Bradys oline is actually sub par. The first four games people thought Brady was done this year. Fact is, he adjusted and now is getting the ball out FAST. Our QB is apparently incapable of that.

What is ppg with griffin?

What is ppg with other qbs?

you know, I hope Griffin gets into a rhythm and starts scoring.

But when we're not winning I'd rather a 17-13 loss with a lot of punts, sitting on my hands in frustration than 35-31 loss with a lot of turnovers or the D rolling over  and basically jumping up yelling YES! then sitting down screaming NO! over and over

Please. Sorry, but when you have a top-3 pro bowl left tackle, it can't be the "worst you've ever seen". 

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/08/offensive-line-rankings-2/

Where was that "top-3 pro bowl left tackle" today? I think they put a revolving door, or a wet paper towel in his spot today.

Seriously tho .. even Trent has not looked "pro bowl" caliber this year. But one player does not bring the absolute **** that is the rest of this O-line up!

Archived