Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rolling Stone: A Rape on Campus: A Brutal Assault and Struggle for Justice at UVA

No Excuses

Swarthmore settles a lawsuit with respect to a student expelled for sexual assault.

The full details of the settlement were not released, but they included Swarthmore lifting the expulsion.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/local/20141203_Swarthmore_settles_with_student_expelled_in_sexual_assault_case.html

Universities are not well prepared or structured to actually handout significant penalties in complex cases like claims of sexual assault and protect people's rights.

If you listen to feminists on this issue does it really come as a surprise that "reforms" demanded by those groups would be horribly one sided kangaroo courts?

They aren't hiding the fact that they believe every accused individual is a rapist. So why would they want a system that treats a rapist fairly? They are rapists! Letting them confront their accuser isn't a good thing, it's a chance to victimize them all over again, so that has to be prohibited too. Challenging the veracity of the victims claim is intimidating and abusive. Victims should be believed, they'll argue. Any factual errors is easily explained because victims often remember things incorrectly.

Any attempts to argue for the accused getting any rights at all is seen as siding with rape and putting the pressure on the victim.

The point is that when that's how they see the situation is it any wonder that they are pushing for a heavily stacked deck? This isn't some feminist = man hating claim either, this is all stuff that you will hear from them clearly and publicly all the time.

So apparently all of the details other than the date this happened have not checked out.... and that article suggests that she ran some sort of scam to get one of her friends to like her involving a fake love interest that didn't exist.

Rolling Stone stepped into a minefield with this one.   

Now some POS blogger just outed "Jackie". Classy move, dip ****.

Gawker did a rundown of that POS Blogger, who is the source most of the humor on my twitter feed on a daily basis.

http://gawker.com/what-is-chuck-johnson-and-why-the-web-s-worst-journal-1666834902

Johnson seems pretty clearly incompetent. But why do people loathe him?

Johnson’s work for larger news organizations is mostly inept rubbish. But the stuff he publishes on GotNews.com tends to be intensely hateful—bizarre, non-sequitur, victim-attacking bile directly from, and directly for, the online right-wing’s id.

Johnson likes to publish articles, for example, insinuating that victims of police violence—particularly black victims—pretty much had it coming. Earlier this year, he collected screenshotsof murdered teenager Michael Brown’s Instagram account. “Brown’s Instagram account also shows a violent streak that may help explain what led to a violent confrontation with Police officer Darren Wilson,” Johnson wrote. In other words, Brown deserved to die.

He gave a similar treatment to a pregnant woman named Dornella Connors, who was blinded by a bean bag fired by police officers in Ferguson, Mo. to quell protestors. Since Connors apparently lacked a criminal record, Johnson went after her boyfriend, Deangelas Lee, in an article titled “BREAKING: Blinded Pregnant Ferguson Protestor’s Boyfriend Tried Killing Cops With Car, Is Criminal.” To drive the point home, Johnson embedded a video of Lee rapping.

That’s really racist.

Yes. And these articles also put a lie to Johnson’s self-spun image as a radical patriot fighting against the political establishment. In article after article, he props up the interests of one of the most powerful political lobbies in the country: the police.

It’s not just Johnson’s attitude toward people of color who’ve been victimized by cops. Johnson in general likes to retaliate against certain individuals by publishing their personal information (a.k.a. doxxing). A recent example: After the New York Times published a copy of former Ferguson cop Darren Wilson’s marriage certificate, and named the street on which he used to live, Johnson published the home addresses—down to the house and apartment numbers—of the pair of reporters who authored the Times story. The headline read: “Why Can’t We Publish Addresses Of New York Times Reporters?”

And a lighter take on the man was done by Deadspin last night, and now pretty much anything and everything he posts is met with a chorus of poop jokes

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/wait-did-clowntroll-blogger-chuck-johnson-****-on-the-1668919746

Long time reader who has never commented, but I absolutely had to when I saw this article. I went to undergrad with this fool at Claremont McKenna College. He was just as despised there as he is now. He was a notorious instigator and had no friends. The college was waiting for him to graduate and leave so they wouldn't have to deal with his ludicrous exposés. He was known to have an Asian fetish because he wanted a submissive woman. Hilariously, he graduated being best known for pooping on the (I think I'm remembering the floor right) 7th floor of Stark (a dorm). I'm sad this idiot is getting any attention at all, but I hope this guy becomes famous for the same reasons he was in college, his public pooping problems.

So apparently all of the details other than the date this happened have not checked out.... and that article suggests that she ran some sort of scam to get one of her friends to like her involving a fake love interest that didn't exist.

Rolling Stone stepped into a minefield with this one.   

Yeah.

I was still holding out sympathy for the idea that she had gone through a trauma and recalled things wrong. But after that article it seems reasonable to believe she's made the entire thing up.

It also sounds like maybe she went on a date with someone not at school, maybe something happened, but for whatever reason changed the story to it being a student and it ending with a bunch of frat guys?

I don't know, but it's incredibly hard to believe her on anything she says at this point.

The Court of Public Opinion putts another mark in the justice column.

Gawker did a rundown of that POS Blogger, who is the source most of the humor on my twitter feed on a daily basis.

http://gawker.com/what-is-chuck-johnson-and-why-the-web-s-worst-journal-1666834902

And a lighter take on the man was done by Deadspin last night, and now pretty much anything and everything he posts is met with a chorus of poop jokes

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/wait-did-clowntroll-blogger-chuck-johnson-****-on-the-1668919746

It's quite obvious that this man (boy) is a complete lunatic. Good god.....

I was still holding out sympathy for the idea that she had gone through a trauma and recalled things wrong. But after that article it seems reasonable to believe she's made the entire thing up.

She had very clearly just experienced a horrific trauma,” Randall said. “I had never seen anybody acting like she was on that night before and I really hope I never have to again. ... If she was acting on the night of Sept. 28, 2012, then she deserves an Oscar.”

There is definitely something fishy about this whole thing.  I don't know what happened but I tend to side with the victim all things being equal. 

She had very clearly just experienced a horrific trauma,” Randall said. “I had never seen anybody acting like she was on that night before and I really hope I never have to again. ... If she was acting on the night of Sept. 28, 2012, then she deserves an Oscar.”

There is definitely something fishy about this whole thing.  I don't know what happened but I tend to side with the victim all things being equal. 

I can't fault you for that. But... her story doesn't add up anywhere.

The only thing she's said that hasn't proven to be full of contradictions or have conflicting information is:

She went to UVA

She had friends that went to UVA

She went out that night and came back in a panicked/terrified state

Her behavior changed that semester and she stopped attending class, eventually dropped out of school

Everything else has been contradicted or doesn't add up.

Her friends say her entire story about how they reacted is wrong. The name of the alleged attacker has changed depending on who she talks to, none of the names matches anyone that went to UVA. The picture she showed to her friends (at the time, pre-date) of who she was going on the date with is of a high school friend that didn't go to UVA and was in a different state that night (athletic trip, documented.) The number of people and what actually happened has changed; depending on who she's talking to. The frat she accuses of doing this had no one that was a lifeguard, as she claimed, during that time. The friends are not even sure the date was real at this point.

I mean how many lies does she need to be caught in before she's no longer considered a victim? At what point is it no longer incorrectly recalled details, and completely made up BS?

The fact that the lies seemed to have begun before she even went out that night makes it even more ridiculous...

I think it's fair to question if she is a victim at this point because of two very elaborate lies. First the fake student/love interest turned rapist. The person did not exist and yet they texted her friends. The assumption is that she had acquired a second texting device and pretended to be someone else in order to seduce a friend. Second is the story she provided rolling stone, complete with so many details that are now plainly false.

One oddity that stands out is that the writer claimed that her friend declined to speak to RS because he was "loyal to his frat" but that friend was happy to speak to the Post and claims to never have heard from RS. Makes you wonder if the contact info RS used was provided by Jackie and if she was the one replying. I think this because that reply seems to fit very well with her version of events that now appear false, and she'd already pretended to be someone else via text before.

The College Rape Overcorrection

Sexual assault on campus is a serious problem. But efforts to protect women from a putative epidemic of violence have led to misguided policies that infringe on the civil rights of men.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2014/12/college_rape_campus_sexual_assault_is_a_serious_problem_but_the_efforts.html

The most disturbing part of this article, and one I found quite enlightening:

The Sexual Victimization of College Women, a 2000 study commissioned by the U.S. Department of Justice, is the basis for another widely cited statistic, even grimmer than the finding of CSA: that one in four college women will be raped. (An activist organization, One in Four, takes its name from the finding.) The study itself, however, found a completed rape rate among its respondents of 1.7 percent. How does a study that finds less than 2 percent of college women in a given year are raped become a 25 percent likelihood? In addition to the 1.7 percent of victims of completed rape, the survey found that another 1.1 percent experienced attempted rape. As the authors wrote, “[O]ne might conclude that the risk of rape victimization for college women is not high; ‘only’ about 1 in 36 college women (2.8 percent) experience a completed rape or attempted rape in an academic year.”

But the authors go on to make several assumptions that ratchet up the risk. The study was carried out during the spring and asked women to describe any assaults experienced during that academic year. The researchers decided to double the numbers they received from their subjects, in order to extrapolate their findings over an entire calendar year, even as they acknowledged that this was “problematic,” as students rarely attend school for 12 months. That calculation brought the incidence figure to nearly 5 percent. Although college is designed to be a four-year experience, the authors note that it takes students “an average” of five years, so they then multiplied their newly-arrived-at 5 percent of student victims by five years, and thus they conclude: “The percentage of completed or attempted rape victimization among women in higher educational institutions might climb to between one-fifth and one-quarter.”

In a footnote, the authors acknowledge that asserting that one-quarter of college students “might” be raped is not based on actual evidence: “These projections are suggestive. To assess accurately the victimization risk for women throughout a college career, longitudinal research following a cohort of female students across time is needed.” The one-fifth to one-quarter assertion would mean that young American college women are raped at a rate similar to women in Congo, where rape has been used as a weapon of war.

So the whole 1 in 4, the now national slogan, comes from a "statistic" that the authors admitted was not based on actual evidence and used faulty assumptions.

Well, if what she's really experiencing is some form of mental illness, she might not have to be acting at all, right? Maybe she even believes every word she's saying, at the moment she says it?

I don't know, obviously, just testing the walls.

She's not a victim.  The fraternity she accused, and its members, are victims. The uninvolved lifeguard who was pulled into this is a victim. The guy in her hometown, who's picture she used from the text messages, is a victim.  They will all on some level continue to be associated with this person's false rape story.

If she was traumatized by something else, it had nothing to do with any of these people, and that's not a viable excuse. The only excuse that may save her in a civil suit is if she can somehow avoid the element of intent by convincing a judge that she's insane and  therefore could not tell the difference between fact and fiction. And she can be forced to testify in that proceeding.

We don't know if she's not a victim.  She may have been raped or assaulted but instead of telling the truth about it she spun some story that she preferred.  What happens if someone with compulsive lying disorder gets sexually assaulted?  Kind of an ugly question but it's not outside of the realm of possibility and in that instance would a true account ever see the light of day?  The lie could be to hide some shame connected to the truth.  If she felt that her assault was partially her fault, which I hear isn't uncommon, and she created a story that removes that element. 

This is a big ugly mess. 

The most disturbing part of this article, and one I found quite enlightening:

So the whole 1 in 4, the now national slogan, comes from a "statistic" that the authors admitted was not based on actual evidence and used faulty assumptions.

It's alarming to see how obviously flawed stats are being used regularly.  

It's alarming to see how obviously flawed stats are being used regularly.  

It's all over the place... the wage disparity for women is another area where statistics that are wrong/used incorrectly become a rallying cry for a certain group of people. If you look into the 77 cents on the dollar number and where it comes from... and look at research that tries to adjust that number based on certain things... and what that new number is (pst: it's 97 cents).... it's really quite amazing how different the entire argument becomes...

as someone who soured on the republicans hard core from 2008-2013, i've soured just as hard core on the righteous people on the left coming up with catchy chants using BS information.

between those two time in my life, where i find myself trying ot figure out where i am politically, i've realized majority of people are just suckers for a good sounding argument and aren't capable of critically thinking or double checking anything...

it comes from a source I like? it fits a narrative i believe in? the argument sounds good? then it must be fact!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i've realized majority of people are just suckers for a good sounding argument and aren't capable of critically thinking or double checking anything...

it comes from a source I like?

So you are saying most people are like redskins fans every offseason? Lol

I must be missing the part where she is no longer employable as a journalist.

What exactly did she do wrong that people, and groups, aren't demanding that we all do? 

What she did is really nothing more than the inevitable result of terrible, and dangerous, lesson being taught (and accepted) on how to approach rape accusations.  It's making the rounds on college campuses right now and trumpeted as righteous.  If it's good enough to apply to real people in student disciplinary settings, why not employ the same in reporting? 

She should get an award.  This entire rolling stone episode did turn out to be a story worth telling.  It just wasn't the one that was originally intended. 

What exactly did she do wrong that people, and groups, aren't demanding that we all do? 

What she did is really nothing more than the inevitable result of terrible, and dangerous, lesson being taught (and accepted) on how to approach rape accusations.  It's making the rounds on college campuses right now and trumpeted as righteous.  If it's good enough to apply to real people in student disciplinary settings, why not employ the same in reporting? 

She should get an award.  This entire rolling stone episode did turn out to be a story worth telling.  It just wasn't the one that was originally intended. 

I just want to be sure before I respond to this post.  When you say "she" in the majority of your post, do you refer to the Rolling Stone Journalist, the person who told the Rolling Stone Journalist "her story", or some other person in this story?

Thanks

Archived