Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rolling Stone: A Rape on Campus: A Brutal Assault and Struggle for Justice at UVA

No Excuses

I just want to be sure before I respond to this post.  When you say "she" in the majority of your post, do you refer to the Rolling Stone Journalist, the person who told the Rolling Stone Journalist "her story", or some other person in this story?

Thanks

Sabrina Erdely.  I should also warn you, there was some sarcasm used in that post. :)

Rolling Stone made reporting mistake after mistake after mistake. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-what-went-wrong-20150405

Perhaps the root problem is this.  As at other once-robust print magazines and newspapers, Rolling Stone's editorial staff has shrunk in recent years as print advertising revenue has fallen and shifted online.

It's all over the place... the wage disparity for women is another area where statistics that are wrong/used incorrectly become a rallying cry for a certain group of people. If you look into the 77 cents on the dollar number and where it comes from... and look at research that tries to adjust that number based on certain things... and what that new number is (pst: it's 97 cents).... it's really quite amazing how different the entire argument becomes...

as someone who soured on the republicans hard core from 2008-2013, i've soured just as hard core on the righteous people on the left coming up with catchy chants using BS information.

between those two time in my life, where i find myself trying ot figure out where i am politically, i've realized majority of people are just suckers for a good sounding argument and aren't capable of critically thinking or double checking anything...

it comes from a source I like? it fits a narrative i believe in? the argument sounds good? then it must be fact!

The narrative about wage inequality based on gender is IMO the most dishonest political rallying point in existence. It's why I automatically qualify Elizabeth warren as an asshole of epic proportions.

There are real economic inequalities in this country that need to be addressed. It's a shame that these gender crusaders always have to lump that in there

Rolling Stone made reporting mistake after mistake after mistake. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-what-went-wrong-20150405

The intro to your link:

A NOTE FROM THE EDITOR: Last November, we published a story, 'A Rape on Campus' [RS 1223], that centered around a University of Virginia student's horrifying account of her alleged gang rape at a campus fraternity house. Within days, commentators started to question the veracity of our narrative. Then, when The Washington Post uncovered details suggesting that the assault could not have taken place the way we described it, the truth of the story became a subject of national controversy.

As we asked ourselves how we could have gotten the story wrong, we decided the only responsible and credible thing to do was to ask someone from outside the magazine to investigate any lapses in reporting, editing and fact-checking behind the story. We reached out to Steve Coll, dean of the Columbia School of Journalism, and a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter himself, who accepted our offer. We agreed that we would cooperate fully, that he and his team could take as much time as they needed and write whatever they wanted. They would receive no payment, and we promised to publish their report in full. (A condensed version of the report will appear in the next issue of the magazine, out April 8th.)

I gotta say, it sure looks like they're doing the ethical thing, after the damage has been done.

Will they be sued and/or prosecuted for libel?

the fraternity is saying they will sue.

i hope they get millions and millions for it. not because i care about that fraternity, just because i hate that this is how the media behaves and someone needs to suffer for it. might as well be rolling stone.

count up the damage done to people who were in the fraternity/school, or to the fraternity in terms of future members, multiple it by a large number and justifying tons of money.

i keep reading quotes to the effect of: "don't blame jackie"

like hell i'm not going to blame the person that made up the story... blame her and rolling stone. just for slightly different things.

Because of this, Rolling Stone will be added to media sources I will no longer consider viable.

They should have stuck with music.

There was a time  when they were on the smart edge of genuine gonzo journalism...it was about the time when The Rolling Stones actually still belonged on stage...

LOL. Yeah. They rip 75% from the headlines. Can't say I blame them.

I pretty much only watch that show to see which real-life story they're going to steal that episode.  So far this season, they've covered the following:

Berkley sorority house murderer

Ray Rice

Duke adult film star

Slenderman stabbings

Gamergate

Rolling Stone rape story

Donald Sterling

There's probably others I didn't even catch.

Archived