Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: That Whole ESPN Report on RG3 Was Kind of a Mess

MattFancy

Schefty's 15 minutes is almost up. As far as I know, Schefter has not moved up from insider reporting. Hell anyone can do this if they have a twitter account. To me, he and all those that claim to be "insiders" yet only scour twitter for informaiton, are weasles.

Remember @RedRidnH00d.

Schefty's 15 minutes is almost up. As far as I know, Schefter has not moved up from insider reporting. Hell anyone can do this if they have a twitter account. To me, he and all those that claim to be "insiders" yet only scour twitter for informaiton, are weasles.

Remember @RedRidnH00d.

Listen, I'm all about hating Schefter. But he's nothing close to @RedRidnH00d or that situation. He's legit, but he is now being shown to have an agenda.

You should read the big article on Schefter and what he does that's out there (basically trades information and slowly grows his web of contacts, gets to know all his sources personally and always has something they don't know to trade for information he doesn't know). Honestly it's fascinating, no matter how unprofessional he's been towards us.

Anyways my point is that your comparison sucks. He's not just a dude with a twitter account who's stuck in his career, like you imply.

I've seen recent articles on Russell Wilson not being the God like QB they thought he was and that he needs help. Seen articles on Foles in Philly not being they guy.

What I'm getting at is, the media uses controversial content to up viewership. Don't feed into it. 99% of the articles are based on a comment that is taken out of context.

I think Britt's story might have been somewhat of an honest mistake.  It didn't seem malicious, just that she was reporting the facts, and probably didn't have full context as to what is going on, and instead of figuring out the context, just reporting something that seemed to make sense.  That's what I call lazy journalism. And Britt didn't come out looking all that good when the facts came out. Ok, she ALWAYS looks good.  But you get the point.  She made an oops.  Probably partially honest, and partially looking for clicks.  

Shefter is a weasel. And he's experienced, and knows what he's doing.  He reported something juicy because he could. It was malicious because the 'Skins fired his buddy.  

If Shefter had reported the truth, it would have gone like this:

"There are multiple sources within the Redskins Organization that believe the decision to start Griffin came from above HC Jay Gruden.  However, when asked for comment, the Redskins Organization denied these rumors, and Bruce Allen called the allegations laughable."

Unfortunately, that's not good enough to promote the "Snyder is a meddling dick" story.  

If I was Allen, and I found out who these people were, I'd fire them if possible.  Just get that crap out of the organization.  

The main issue with the Schefter report, other than it being total nonsense, is that no one else who passed it on mentioned the "believe" part. I first heard about it on WJFK during their pregame coverage before the Junkies came on. It was presented as "ESPN is reporting that the decision to start RG3 came from above the coach." No "sources believe" just a straight this is what happened. ESPN's own headline "RGIII starting call came from top."  did the same. The pro drama bias is obvious.

ESPN's formula is so plain to see at this point. Take a nothing "story" feed it into their echo chamber and watch it turn into a national headline. A perfect example is that Jaws "story" about how Kaep could be the best QB ever.

Some of us have been calling this 'media hates the redskins' thing for a while. They alllll laughed at me lol

Seriously though. I get the feeling this will be the case here for the remainder of Mike Shanahans life. He is definitly the type to hold a grudge and now he has nothing to do.

And unfortunately for us evil never dies.

Some of us have been calling this 'media hates the redskins' thing for a while. They alllll laughed at me lol

Seriously though. I get the feeling this will be the case here for the remainder of Mike Shanahans life. He is definitly the type to hold a grudge and now he has nothing to do.

And unfortunately for us evil never dies.

That's because a media conspiracy against the Redskins is ridiculous. They just like clicks, and money. Controversial, even bull****, storylines provide way more clicks than the exact truth. That doesn't make it a concerted, malicious agenda.

That's because a media conspiracy against the Redskins is ridiculous. They just like clicks, and money. Controversial, even bull****, storylines provide way more clicks than the exact truth. That doesn't make it a concerted, malicious agenda.

This is true, but I really think Shefter went out of his way to be malicious.3 people who think the owner might have been involved is anon story. Especially when the team responded to deny the story on the record. To spin it into anything is bad journalism. And he knows it. Which is why he was back peddling like a FS when he was on the sports fix.

I'll give Britt a partial pass, seemed like not getting the full story and running with a hunch. Bad journalism. But didn't seem to be malicious. Maybe a junior reporter mistake, maybe just being dumb.

But Shefter is a vet. He knows what he's doing and that story was as malicious as it gets.

I can't believe people are still pinning this on Shanahan.  Something stinks at Redskins Park, and it ain't Shanny.  

You're right. It was Shanahan, now it's not.

I will say that Redskin Park is leaking like the Titanic.  If I was Allen/Snyder, I'll try and flush the leaks out.  Give everybody "confidential" information that's slightly different, and then see what makes Sportscenter.  Then take the guy who gave the information out into the parking lot and publicly disgrace him and expose him as a leak.  

What's crazy is that our starting QB and franchise draft pick is completely healed from the injury that ssidelined him. Why is there controversy about him starting? Romo practically has broken disc in his back and he's a warrior for wanting to play. Colt McCoy isn't leading this team anywhere so let's be realistic. He hasn't been outplayed by his backups.

What's crazy is that our starting QB and franchise draft pick is completely healed from the injury that ssidelined him. Why is there controversy about him starting? Romo practically has broken disc in his back and he's a warrior for wanting to play. Colt McCoy isn't leading this team anywhere so let's be realistic. He hasn't been outplayed by his backups.

He was really defensive yesterday. He kept saying that all he reported was that "sources believed". So that's enough to run with a story now? Could you imagine all the bat**** crazy stories news agencies would run if they just had "sources believied" as the key part of the story?

Yeah that's **** journalism. One of the most important considerations for journalists is the motivation of the source. You're trying to find a picture of the truth, not get played by whoever is talking to you. Schefter did a half-assed job with this and should get called out. And ESPN's news service deserves to get called out for being the trash that it is. This is far from the only time they've resorted to click bait tactics for headlines.

Archived