Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Deadspin: That Whole ESPN Report on RG3 Was Kind of a Mess

MattFancy

http://deadspin.com/that-whole-espn-report-on-rgiii-was-kind-of-a-mess-1655130691?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+deadspin%2Ffull+%28Deadspin%29

On Sunday, ESPN had a big Trouble-in-Landover report that was actually two stories rolled into one. The juicier one, a claim that a locker-room outburst was proof that Robert Griffin III had "alienated" his teammates, was quickly disputed by a whole bunch of reporters who were in the room. Now the second story is coming in for further review, and Adam Schefter's defense is less than full-throated.

Where that falls on the spectrum between "honest mistake" and "desire to juice up scoops" is open to interpretation, and again, neither Schefter nor McHenry are responsible for the ESPN.com story's ambiguous wording. But it's been fascinating to see both halves of what seemed like a pretty big story fall apart under the most cursory of examination.

I can't remember a player who has done so little taking so many hits both nationally and from his own fan base.  Ravens fan came up to me (I was in Skns gear) before the game Sunday and recounted this story.  We had a few words.  By the time I passed him again his wife mumbled something to him and he was saying "I didn't say anything".  Obviously they both got the idea, shut the Hell up about my quarterback. 

Hopefully this will start rolling downhill and other outlets will start attacking Schefter

He was really defensive yesterday. He kept saying that all he reported was that "sources believed". So that's enough to run with a story now? Could you imagine all the bat**** crazy stories news agencies would run if they just had "sources believied" as the key part of the story?

Hopefully this will start rolling downhill and other outlets will start attacking Schefter

As an organisation it would not be good to limit 'standard' access for reporters who are asshats.  Increased/special access for outlets that report fact would maybe be a way to go?  Once established that x, y and z reporter get it straight from the organisation would serve as a checking force?

Maybe need to let the good ones know from the start that it's not an exclusive club, so we may start out with one or two but end up with many more.  Also wouldn't hurt to have a positive click campaign, i.e. when x reporter is quoted on ES we as a fan base click link as well as discuss here.  Could go so far as to have ads at Fedex with a list of 'good to read sports reporters' as voted by ES etc.

Schefty got owned on the sports fix. He was talking a mile a minute and back peddling faster than a cornerback.

The whole "I talked to Mike Shanahan after the report came out" was gold. Then the "Mikes not my source...in fact he told me...uh... I won't go into that."

Hopefully that midgets reputation takes a dive like a Haslett defense against a rookie QB.

Knew this was ******** the second I heard it b/c it was Shefter-han.

This is outrageous even for ESPN, flat out making up stories? Quoting out of context stories second hand to stir up controversy? Even for them it's low.

Shefter-han has no leg to stand on b/c last time I checked he's not there to state the obvious. He's sold as an "insider" someone with his cellphone constantly tucked up his ***, on top of any league news. So now his defense is that he was simply reporting that "the Redskins organization really wants RG3 to start?" No **** *******, no alterior motive to release this on a Sunday morning before he comes back from injury? **** you Shefter-han.

This team has enough **** to deal with to have to put up with this ****.

Still think Schefter uses the hell out of Shanny. Love how we had zero Redskins news, then as soon as RG3 is set to start again, bam, ESPN is back digging up RG3 strories. Just seems fishy to me.

My thought exactly.

The kid def. need work to become a better QB. But this is unfair on many different levels.

Hail

My thought exactly.

The kid def. need work to become a better QB. But this is unfair on many different levels.

Hail

It's not a critique on him as a player--it's a critique on him as a person. They're essentially calling him an asshole that no one likes.

Looks like the Shanny/Schefter lovefest finally went one step too far. Watch this become a national backlash because it's now clear that Shanahan is using his relationship with a journalist to push his personal agenda as news. Maybe, just maybe, that's why the coverage of RGIII has been so universally negative - you have an incestuous, unethical relationship between a reporter and a subject that would get a reporter fired from most outlets who claim even a shred of integrity.

Apparently the consensus narrative this season for RG3 is that nobody wants him to be the starting QB anymore except Snyder.

First it was that "sources" claimed Gruden wanted Cousins over Griffin. Now it's that Gruden wanted McCoy over Griffin.

There is an undeniable, irrefutable desire to make sure drama, controversy and uncertainty surrounds Robert Griffin III at all times. But I think the pendulum has swung as far as it can in that direction, and it's bound to start swinging in the other direction...I'm glad, though, that this idiocy is getting a bright light leveled on it.

By the way, did Schefter ever mention--or even ask his sources--why they "believed" the call was made from Snyder and not Gruden? I would think that would be some important info to share with readers.

He was really defensive yesterday. He kept saying that all he reported was that "sources believed". So that's enough to run with a story now? Could you imagine all the bat**** crazy stories news agencies would run if they just had "sources believied" as the key part of the story?

It's totally ridiculous, but why is there anyone telling him what they believe at Redskins Park? We know the media is filled with sleazy aholes willing to destroy people just to get ahead in their careers... but why is there anyone giving them ANYTHING within our organization? That's what makes me angrier. I'm too used to the media to expect anything else, but I'm tired of people within our organization aiding them. What the heck?   

It's not a critique on him as a player--it's a critique on him as a person. They're essentially calling him an asshole that no one likes.

Yeah... Right before his 1st start in a while. I know its about him as a person. But why do it on the day he starts his 1st game in 7 weeks. Its unfair any way you slice it.

But point taken!

Also, did Schefter attempt to check with other "sources within the organization" to see if they said anything that would shed more light on the decision-making process? Because as it stands, it comes across as the "sources" all approached Schefter on their own to tell him about how Snyder and Allen forced their guy into the line-up against Gruden's preference. I'm sorry, how they think Snyder and Allen might have done that. Because I can imagine therre are numerous "sources" within the Redskins organization who would have responded with ridiculing laughter at the suggestion, and could probably give numerous reasons why laughing it off is the appropriate response.

Also, did Schefter go into any detail as to how this topic came up? Was he asking his "sources" if they were excited about RG3's return to the field, and the "sources" responded by telling Adam that Snyder forced Griffin back onto the field (I'm sorry again...that they think he might have possibly done so)? Or did Schefter reach out to his "sources" and ask them if having Griffin start was "really" a Gruden call, or if they thought Snyder might have insisted on it?

And how many "sources" does Schefter have in the Redskins organization? He said three different "sources" told him this stuff...how many "sources" said the exact opposite, though? Because right now it sounds like it's a unanimous viewpoint among Schefter's "sources".

Also, did Schefter attempt to check with other "sources within the organization" to see if they said anything that would shed more light on the decision-making process? Because as it stands, it comes across as the "sources" all approached Schefter on their own to tell him about how Snyder and Allen forced their guy into the line-up against Gruden's preference. I'm sorry, how they think Snyder and Allen might have done that. Because I can imagine therre are numerous "sources" within the Redskins organization who would have responded with ridiculing laughter at the suggestion, and could probably give numerous reasons why laughing it off is the appropriate response.

Also, did Schefter go into any detail as to how this topic came up? Was he asking his "sources" if they were excited about RG3's return to the field, and the "sources" responded by telling Adam that Snyder forced Griffin back onto the field (I'm sorry again...that they think he might have possibly done so)? Or did Schefter reach out to his "sources" and ask them if having Griffin start was "really" a Gruden call, or if they thought Snyder might have insisted on it?

And how many "sources" does Schefter have in the Redskins organization? He said three different "sources" told him this stuff...how many "sources" said the exact opposite, though? Because right now it sounds like it's a unanimous viewpoint among Schefter's "sources".

I do remember him saying yesterday that he had another "source" that he said he's know for 20 years who texted him on Monday that told him he was right. When Sheehan asked if that meant that source also "believed" or if the source knew for a fact Snyder/Allen wanted RG3 in, Schefter said he didn't want to put words into the sources mouth.

Basically, Schefter got info from some people that "believe" Snyder/Allen had something to do with RG3 starting last week. But he has no proof that it actually happened so he's sticking with "it's a fact that they told me they believe this" crap. Thought Schefter was above this, but he's really coming out no better than JLC here.

Schefty is in defense mode. He sounds like Bill Clinton and his meaning of "Is".

I chalk it up to irresponsible reporting. In my opinion, he should be reprimanded.

I mean, what is the intent of reporting a story based on conjecture? To me, it reeks malice and/or self promotion.

Either way, its amatuer journalism.

Archived