Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Halfway through the season, let's reexamine the schedule

abdcskins

I did a "Realistic worse case / best case" thread a while back and strangely we're shaping up to still follow my "best case" scenario.

Right now...

Realistic Best Case. We go on a 2012 style run with Griffin back and the defense clicking. Two "tune up games" before the two tough non-division ones. A cream puff trap game stuck in between. And then three division games to finish off strong, two of which are at home.

10 - 6

We beat the Vikings, Buccanneers, and Rams for 3 wins.

We steal one game from the Colts or Niners

We win two of three against the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys to finish the year

Realistic Worst Case. Colt starts at the Vikes, but can't recreate the magic. We start Griffin in Tampa, but due to rust he doesn't have a good enough game. The Colts and Niners waylay us. We get a breather win with the Rams and manage to pull a surprise upset off from an NFC east team...possibly a Cowboys teams that is resting people as they cruise into the playoffs.

5 - 11

We lose two of three with the Vikes, Bucs, and Rams

We lose to the Colts and the Niners

We lose two of the three against the Giants, Eagles, and Cowboys

Oh...just for fun to go with my "best case" scenario.

Eagles

Split with Dallas

Win one game against Houston, Carolina, Green Bay, and Seattle

Beats Tennessee and the Giants

Loses to us

Ends at 9-7

Dallas - going into week 17

Splits with the Eagles

Wins one game out of the Giants, Bears, Colts, and Cardinals

Wins against Jacksonville

Enters week 17 at .... 9-6

Week 17 once again becomes a game for the NFC East, Cowboys vs Redskins, winner goes to the playoffs.

2012, Skins 3 and 6 going into the bye week, the Skins nation, including myself wrote the season off. 7 games later we were in the paloffs!

I think it is safe to say this 2014 roster has a lot more weapons, the o line is slightly better and the defense is much improved. 9 in a row is a mighty big achievement, but never say never.

There are a few that have to happen:

1. RG3 needs to play within himself, no need to try and carry this team on his back this time.

2. RG Chester needs to be replaced.

3. The defense has to use the Monday Night game plan as a foundation for blitzing. The CBs has shown the ability to make one on one tackles.

4. The run game will improve with RG3 back, there will be bigger running lanes for Morris.

Two years ago this team pulled 7 in a row, is there any reason they can't do it again?

would truly be something if we actually pull that off...

I saw a new Skins Monday night.  Let me count the ways.

1.  Aggressive attacking (sharking) Defense featuring "pressure man up" by young CBs.

2.  QB "game management" skills in evidence.

3.  Compton makes the grade

4.  Positive ST

5.  Breeland no longer a rookie

So yea ... why not!!!

I saw a new Skins Monday night.  Let me count the ways.

1.  Aggressive attacking (sharking) Defense featuring "pressure man up" by young CBs.

2.  QB "game management" skills in evidence.

3.  Compton makes the grade

4.  Positive ST

5.  Breeland no longer a rookie

So yea ... why not!!!

from your mouth to gods ears man :)

I'm still looking at all this through the lens of how it might project for next season and Gruden's future here. A strong finish during his first year as a head coach would be very exciting no matter the exact record or place in the standings. So, 7-9 and playing well to end the year would be awesome. 

Now, depending on how the next two weeks play out, I might start dreaming of something bigger in the immediate future. If we are sitting at 5-5 and have made up ground on the rest of the division (haven't even bothered to look at the schedules to see how likely that is), I'll probably have some hope of doing something magical in 2014. 

I'm still looking at all this through the lens of how it might project for next season and Gruden's future here. A strong finish during his first year as a head coach would be very exciting no matter the exact record or place in the standings. So, 7-9 and playing well to end the year would be awesome. 

Now, depending on how the next two weeks play out, I might start dreaming of something bigger in the immediate future. If we are sitting at 5-5 and have made up ground on the rest of the division (haven't even bothered to look at the schedules to see how likely that is), I'll probably have some hope of doing something magical in 2014. 

its pretty tough to see how dallas and philly lose their next 2-3 games.

dallas:Vs Cardinals, @ Jaguars (LONDON GAME), BYE Week. At worst I could see them losing to Arizona, then blowing out jacksonville, heading into their bye week at 7-3.

Philly: @ Texans, Vs Panthers, @ Packers. They will probably win easily against the texans, could lose to the panthers, could lose to packers. their games against the panthers and packers could go either way. best case scenario for them by the time they finish their week 11 game is 8-2. Maybe 7-3, with one loss in those 3 weeks. if they somehow become horrible, 6-4 or 5-5 (winning 1 out of 3, or dropping all 3 (would take a major ****show for that to happen though...

Now, Giants is even more interesting. their next 3 games are Vs Colts, @ Seahawks, then Vs 49ers. could see them beating the coltsl then dropping 2 games, to make them 4-6. if the giants are really horrible, i could see 3-7 (3 straight losses) to take them out of the equation.

or the giants end up surprising everyone, winning 3 games in a row to be 6-4. who really knows. if we win sunday though, and dallas, philly and the giants all lose, it could get interesting.

its pretty tough to see how dallas and philly lose their next 2-3 games.

dallas:Vs Cardinals, @ Jaguars (LONDON GAME), BYE Week. At worst I could see them losing to Arizona, then blowing out jacksonville, heading into their bye week at 7-3.

Philly: @ Texans, Vs Panthers, @ Packers. They will probably win easily against the texans, could lose to the panthers, could lose to packers. their games against the panthers and packers could go either way. best case scenario for them by the time they finish their week 11 game is 8-2. Maybe 7-3, with one loss in those 3 weeks. if they somehow become horrible, 6-4 or 5-5 (winning 1 out of 3, or dropping all 3 (would take a major ****show for that to happen though...

Now, Giants is even more interesting. their next 3 games are Vs Colts, @ Seahawks, then Vs 49ers. could see them beating the coltsl then dropping 2 games, to make them 4-6. if the giants are really horrible, i could see 3-7 (3 straight losses) to take them out of the equation.

Right...that is why I'm not really pinning my opinion of this season on division standings. We blew that with our 4-game losing streak. To me, my feelings on 2014 will come down to how much the team improves under Gruden by week 17. 

Minnesota will be an interesting game, Haslett needs to continue the Shark Attack Defense against Bridgewater, Tampa is terrible and RG3 should be back for the game optimistically I'll say 5-5 at that point.

SF will be a slugfest, I'm giving them the edge right now on their running game which means they can control TOP against us. If RG3 is his old self and the Running game opens up we could win that one. Indy is up and down they looked terrible against an average Steelers team, I think defensively they are better than us, and St. Louis unfortunately has had our number lately. The Division games are key, I think the Giants are crashing back down to Earth, Philly has new life after we beat Dallass and the homer in me says we sweep the pukes. Overall I think 8-8 with a lot of improvement for next year

Well, Minnesota is a very winnable game. I expect our DC to bring the house early and often to befuddle their rookie QB.

Dang, TB sure as heck better be a win, they just started their fire sale on players yesterday (we should have seriously considered getting Barron, their safety).

Indy will likely truck us (at least I have Luck on my fantasy but would love to see him fall on his face that week!)

revenge will lead us past the dirty birds and I think we take the Rams out since it's in our house.

The future is bright and we're on the mend. I just wonder if we REALLY are better w/o Orakpo in the lineup.

SF clearly 'looks' like a loss to me being away and that team is just stacked AND getting folks back.

If we get to 8-8 I'll be stoked and also somewhat amazed. 6 or 7 wins is more likely.

If nothing else, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE beat Dallas in the year ending game. Knock them down the paloffs seeding board or better yet, out of the post season altogether.

I predict.. we win 30 - 17... this starts our four game win streak... Eagles lose the next four... dallass only wins one of the next four and roughly five weeks from now the East looks like dallass 6-4, eagles 5-5, giants 5-5, redskins 5-5...

Honestly I don't know what to think... I'm still shell shocked at Kirk's performance... I thought he was good at state and thought he'd be a solid QB for us... but that was beyond awful....

Seahawks - loss
Cardinals - loss
Titans - win?
Cowboys - must win
Vikings  - win ?
Tampa - win ?
SF - loss
Indi - must win
St. Louis - win?
so before the home stretch we could be - 7 - 6...and right in the thick of things... its possible...
HTTR

For full disclosure I didn't disclose my hopes that I didn't get right.... way too many

That's the spirit Cooley!! :)

And some people said that I was smoking CRACK before those post I made... well I may have well been... crack affects my short term memory... Don't ya hate it when your driving down the road and you drop your crack pipe? You know its still burning but you can't find it?

I think he was including these past two games.

Frankly, I'd like to see a 15-game run.  That'd make me smile a lot.

Wouldn't that be a 13-game or 14-game run? From 1-5 to 11-5 (10 in a row), then either 3 or 4 wins to the Lombardi, depending on if we were to get a #1 or #2 seed with an 11-5 record (who knows this year!).

Unless you think the Skins will be seen as so awesome by then that they'll just let our team represent one side in the Pro Bowl against a group of all-stars picked by Deion and Jerry Rice (or whoever is doing that nonsense this season).  Only way the Skins would lose that game is if they had to play Ditka!

Just occurred to me that last season, we won an overtime game (home against San Diego) to go to 3-5......and played at Minnesota the next week (albeit a short week, as the game was on Thursday).  This year, we beat the Cowboys in OT at their place to move to 3-5, and will again play at Minnesota (this time at a different stadium).

I'd be happy if the 2014 team can, in the upcoming game, mirror the performance of our offense in the first half against Minnesota in 2013. That's about the ONLY thing I want this team to have in common with last years second half.

I know, I know... but we could win out... there isn't a team that frightens me anymore on our schedule. Like you said about SF, Indy just got crushed by the steelers and we still got round number two against the east. we will be a totally different team by then... I hope... a boy can dream can't he!

I'm looking at 9-7, boys. But I could also see 10-6. With the play of our defense this last week -- especially that for the first time in years I am feeling MUCH much better about our corners -- and knowing that we are stacked on offense. If only our O-line can hold it together, I think we can be very good.

I think I predicted 7-9 at the beginning of the season, with a chance for 8-8 if things went well.

I really think 7-9 looks about right. 4-4 the rest of the way. If we can really rebuild our O-line in the offseason and get some decent secondary upgrades, I think next year we'll have a chance for a 10+ win season.

Archived