Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Halfway through the season, let's reexamine the schedule

abdcskins

Looking at it;

at Vikings, vs. Buccaneers, at Niners, at Colts, vs. Rams, at Giants, vs. Eagles, vs. Cowboys;

I see sort of three groups of games.

Group 1: @Vikings, Bucs, and Rams.

They are struggling like us (maybe a little more, depending on how you look at it).  These are very winnable, but we cannot underestimate these teams.  If we're shooting for 8-8 or better, we need at least 2 of these, and ideally all 3.

Group 2: @49ers, @Colts

Two tough away games against good teams.  These definitely present an uphill battle, and if we went 1-1 here I'd be pretty happy.  2 weeks ago, no way I'd have expected anything other than 0-2, but now, we might sneak a win against one (or both, however unlikely) if Griffin is playing well and the team plays with heart.

Group 3: @Giants, Eagles, Cowboys

The division games.  Three straight to close the year.  Anything could happen.  I'd like to think we'll go 3-0, but we're similarly likely to go 0-3.

If we're striving for anything better than 6-10, we really ought to go 2-0 over the next two games.  Even with a 4 game winning streak going into SF, it's entirely possible and maybe probable we leave Indy 5-7.  We need the next two or else that could easily become 4-8...

Similarly, we need the Rams.  If we come into that game 5-7, we're in a decent position for 7-9 if we win, but if we lose, again, uphill battle.

If we go into the last 3 division games 6-7, then I'd say we're in striking distance of 8-8, but any worse, and we've got a real tough road to hoe.

If we somehow win 4 of the next 5 though, and are 7-6 going into the stretch, we need to smell blood in the water and go for it.  9-7 probably won't make the playoffs, but if probably won't be the NFC East basement either, and as an opening to Gruden's HC career, when he started 1-5?  Not bad at all.

But a TON hinges upon the next two games.  We lose even one of those two, and suddenly we're 3-6 (4-6), with only one game against non-division opponents with losing records left (barring SF or Indy's positive W-L changing in the meantime), and that is not a good position to be in if we're shooting for .500 or better.

I have faith in my team. Yes I'm cautiously optimistic, but this is when we're the most dangerous, especially with a returning HEALTHY (hopefully braceless) RG3 with wait for it....offensive weapons, a defense that's finally stepping up to the plate, and everyone getting healthy at the right time in the season. I can realistically say we can win out if RG3 plays well. 11-5. Shooting for the stars.

Wouldn't that be a 13-game or 14-game run? From 1-5 to 11-5 (10 in a row), then either 3 or 4 wins to the Lombardi, depending on if we were to get a #1 or #2 seed with an 11-5 record (who knows this year!).

Unless you think the Skins will be seen as so awesome by then that they'll just let our team represent one side in the Pro Bowl against a group of all-stars picked by Deion and Jerry Rice (or whoever is doing that nonsense this season).  Only way the Skins would lose that game is if they had to play Ditka!

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking. :)

umm not really. You gotta be a fool if you think Cousins and or Colt has a chance to be the franchise Qb. You guys really don't remember 2012 do you? RG3 was a top 5 nfl player

Rg was great that year. What made him so great was he was a threat to run. Now, not so much. This coaching staff is trying to make him a pocket passer. He is not. The back up qb's are, but not quite as athletic as rg. That's my opinion anyways.

Rg was great that year. What made him so great was he was a threat to run. Now, not so much. This coaching staff is trying to make him a pocket passer. He is not. The back up qb's are, but not quite as athletic as rg. That's my opinion anyways.

You are kidding yourself if they are making him a pocket passer. That would be idiotic.  We didn't draft him to be just a pocket passer

First we aren't going to the playoffs; best case scernio is we go 8-8 which won't cut it. We should beat the Vikings and bucs as we are the better team. I honestly think people are underestimating the rams who imo can beat us even with the injuries. I'm hoping for the best but expext the worst; 2 more wins this season.

Draft position is so overrated in the NFL.  the best team find gems anywhere in the draft.  Losing does nothing in the NFL to help your franchise. 

Tell that to the Colts.....

What made him so great was he was a threat to run. Now, not so much. This coaching staff is trying to make him a pocket passer.

Not sure I agree. Did you not watch the Jax game before he got hurt? It sure looked like he was still a threat, and his speed was back. It's obvious that the read option is still in the playbook. And it looked like it was going to be a big part of the Jax game considering he had two carries for 22 yards in the limited time he was in. I'm sure they absolutely want to improve his pocket presence and ability to read the defense; but I would bet money they also want him to be able to run.  I'd lose faith in the staff if they didn't.  He's too gifted to not use his running ability to our advantage.

a 7-3 finish gets us to 8-8? when we are already 3-5? you sure about that?

If we finish 8-8, then we will be 7-3 in our last ten games, since we started 1-5.

6-10 I think we don't win another division game

Just enough to ruin our draft position

I have a theory you are saying things like this for the same reason I'm picking against the 'skins in my football pool for the third straight week . . .

If we finish 8-8, then we will be 7-3 in our last ten games, since we started 1-5.

ok, but Hail2Skins said "a 5-3 finish in the second half", meaning the final 8 games of the season, and we were 3-5 in the first half of the season. so from 3-5 to 8-8 would be a 5-3 record. if he said at the time that we were 1-5 that we would get to 8-8 to finish the season then that would mean going 7-3. but either one would still get us to 8-8 so yeah i guess its the same

Archived