Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thoughts From Dallas.... Yes, That Just Happened

kleese

Excellent OP, kleese and thanks for the thread. Loved the details of your experience and the closing paragraph (and I have been as forlorn about how this has become a mainly sadass franchise the last two decades, of course, as anyone).

Final Thought:

This is why I never check out. I've held firm in this all along calling many of you drama queens for what I perceive to be at least a slight dramatization of our situation that borders on self-loathing. Many said they made plans not to watch. But if you did that, now you can never get that experience back. You gotta continue to risk your heart and yor sanity for the payoff of nights like tonight--- maybe this was the game that turns this program around? Or maybe it's just a random win in a below average season? The latter may be more likely, but tonight happened. And I always have that memory now. And if I allowed myself to check out physically or emotionally I would have robbed myself of that.

Hail!

Great way to put it. I have said repeatedly that my enthusiasm for this team is at an all-time low. However, I still tune in for every game. 

I don't know if this was the game that turns this program around, but I truly think it was the game that starts the new cornerback era. Breeland and Amerson might have begun their journey as solid starters and future ballers last night. 

I'd like to see Colt play one more in Minnesota because I think he can win that one. Then we get Griffin back after the bye and hopefully put together a run. I don't expect playoffs this season but it sure would be nice to be competitive again.

I've used up all my likes today, but OP, this was a great read. I will never plan to not watch a game as I've been a fan since the early '80's. The Skins have lost every game I have attended. Despite that, we pay for club seats, overpriced food and drinks, and leave the game hoarse from cheering them on. I'll die a diehard Skins fan.

HAIL yeah--!!! It happened--!!!

Watched the first half on TV at a local bar and I was very impressed with the defense and the special teams units (weird, right) but Colt did look rough. 

That second half and OT, though...as someone else mentioned, it was all heart. Keeping the Cowboys from scoring after that big run by Murray was absolutely huge. I still can't believe we got the W. What a great feeling.

One thing I noticed (again) is that Jerry Jones is the WORST owner in the NFL.

How would any self-respecting professional coach want to work there.  First, he somehow gets ESPN to put him on, right in the middle of the quarter (sorry, this isn't baseball, we don't need to hear some owner during a real game).  Then, as his star QB goes into the locker room to get treatment, he follows there like a starry-eyed groupie who just got a back-stage pass at the Poison show.

Instead of letting the football people deal with it, he needs to get on camera again by walking on sidelines, right up to Garrett, and talks to him as the game is going on.  I"m sure he had lots to do with Romo getting back on the field at the end of the game.  What a joke.

One thing I noticed (again) is that Jerry Jones is the WORST owner in the NFL.

How would any self-respecting professional coach want to work there. First, he somehow gets ESPN to put him on, right in the middle of the quarter (sorry, this isn't baseball, we don't need to hear some owner during a real game). Then, as his star QB goes into the locker room to get treatment, he follows there like a starry-eyed groupie who just got a back-stage pass at the Poison show.

Instead of letting the football people deal with it, he needs to get on camera again by walking on sidelines, right up to Garrett, and talks to him as the game is going on. I"m sure he had lots to do with romoSUCKS getting back on the field at the end of the game. What a joke.

His in-game set up is amazing. My friend made a great observation--/ it's like Caesar.

Jerruh does not sit in a traditional owners box. It is not located amongst the other suites. It's a suite that juts out on the home side 50 yard line just above the lower deck. It literally sticks out and hovers above the deck. He is one son to his right and one to his left.... It's like a king overseeing the gladiators. It's almost creepy.

Kleese,

I've given you a lot of heat for us losing games you attended (or just my memory of it) so I say, BLESS YOU! THANK YOU! We won because you were there!

Like I always tell me wife: it's not me, it's them. But last night, it was me :)

I live in Dallas, and go the the Redskin's game every year.

A couple of years ago, I got to sit in the "owners" box. I put it in quotes because Jerry and his family were on the other side of the glass from us, while all of his business associates were in the box we were in. Jerry came over at one point, and chatted with everyone, saw me in my Jason Campbell jersey, and said "I don't appreciate your colors in here son"...but he shook my hand anyway, and told me to have a good time.

I kept the jersey on the entire game, even got some good pics of me with some Cowboy's cheerleaders.

Last night I sat on the bottom deck, just a few rows behind the Redskins bench. It was fun to observe all of the interactions on the sideline. Being that close, you also get a sense for the tremendous speed and violence that you just don't get on TV, or in the upper deck seats.

I'm generally quiet during games with brief outbursts and I'm not a smack-talker. But right after 4th down I ran up and down out aisle (many had vacated already) and for some reason my reaction was to pound the cushioned seat backs with my hands. It was a ridiculous display I'm sure. But I'm cool with it.

:lol:  I'm sure we all have these moments.  I'm still ashamed of my behavior after the Ravens game in 2012 (... or am I?).

That's what it means to us.

A couple of years ago, I got to sit in the "owners" box. I put it in quotes because Jerry and his family were on the other side of the glass from us, while all of his business associates were in the box we were in. Jerry came over at one point, and chatted with everyone, saw me in my Jason Campbell jersey, and said "I don't appreciate your colors in here son"...but he shook my hand anyway, and told me to have a good time.

LOL, that just reminded me of this:

elaine-os.jpg

Seriously though, that's pretty ballsy to wear a rival jersey in the owner's box-- some of them actually take it really personally.  I had a friend who used to work for the LA Clippers and she told me that when they "hosted" the Lakers, the ownership knew exactly which tickets belonged to employees of the team.  If they saw people wearing Lakers' colors in those seats, then it led to some very bad things for the employee that owned those tickets.

(Given everything else we've learned about Clippers ownership recently I guess thats not *THAT* far-fetched a story).

This was one of the best nights of live sport in my life. Dallas fans were all very friendly. When we made the stop at 4th and 2 it was a hell of a moment. The last time I celebrated like that at a live sports game was probably Ipswich Bolton in the 2000 playoff semi final. We should have finished them off in regulation but no complaints here.

Dallas fans were all very friendly. When we made the stop at 4th and 2 it was a hell of a moment. 

For the most part the Cowboys do have one of the classiest fan bases in the league. At least the ones who actually live in Texas anyway. The others are flawed to begin with or they wouldn't be rooting for some other state's team.

For the most part the Cowboys do have one of the classiest fan bases in the league. At least the ones who actually live in Texas anyway. The others are flawed to begin with or they wouldn't be rooting for some other state's team.

Could be because some have family that live in Texas or parents that grew up in Texas. I've met some cool Cowboys fans in VA though

There was something to last night, everybody felt it.

Two years of being **** on, being picked against, being laughed at.

Finally got to feel good about this team in a prime time game again.

Finally got to see guys not only trying hard but succeeding too.

Saw coaching work before out eyes again for the first time in a long time.

It meant something, I'm convinced.

I spent quite a bit of time in Dallas (almost weekly for 18 months) for work and from what I heard on sports radio down there, I'd completely agree. I think the NBDs give most Cowboy fans a really bad name.  Part of that time was the 2012 season, so that definitely helped :D

That is because so many of the Cowboy fans actually from Texas see the Cowboys as simply that team that allows them to root for a team that plays Sunday.  First team is going to be a college team, then HS, then your kid's team (if he plays) and only then the pro team.  It also helps that fewer of them are bandwagon fans.

Could be because some have family that live in Texas or parents that grew up in Texas. I've met some cool Cowboys fans in VA though

Not really bandwagoners I suppose.

Archived