Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should replace Orakpo this week? Not Trent Murphy.

cleibo2

Trent Murphy was supposed to be a situational pass rusher this season and then step up to a potentially larger role next season. .... It's too early to say he's a bust.

Too early for you. Not for me.  Top 50 pick with size and speed that can't play his way on the field.  Lack of desire appears to be the diagnosis.  Not a fan of Stanford players. Yeah, yeah, I know about Luck and Sherman.  Still they are not well represented in the NFL for their status as atop tier college team.

Isn't his dad a power lifter or bodybuilder or some such thing.  If anybody can get stronger, I'd think it'd be Murphy.  It's probably in his genes, his whole family is huge.  

really? That's cool. Kerrigan has certainly gained muscle since his rookie season, he looks like a miniature Watts to me.

I'm tired of babying our draft picks along for 2-3 seasons only to find out they were never NFL caliber talent to  begin with.

We went through this with Thomas, Kelly, Jacobs, etc etc etc.....

I am not saying Murphy should have started from the beginning, but Orakpo's injury has opened the door for Murphy to get in there and learn with real nfl game reps, instead it looks like we signed a nobody castoff as a replacement.

I want to know sooner than later if Murphy is the real deal or just another guy that will toil on the dept chart for a couple seasons before disappearing into ex-NFL oblivion.

I don't expect him to be a world beater from Day 1, but I would like to see him in there.

I don't think we signed "a nobody castoff as a replacement". I think we signed Brown to have an adequate number of OLBs on our roster and fill Orakpo's position. RIght now I think our depth at OLB is

Starters: Kerrigan / Murphy

Subs: Jeffcoat / Brown

I'm very high on Jeffcoat and have been singing his praises since we signed him. But he's an undrafted rookie free agent who may not be ready to come in and contribute regularly (he had zero snaps before the injury and only 1 afterwards). I would rather we had signed another UDFA to come in and try to find another diamond in the rough, but who knows, Brown may be just that. We seems to have found good things in similar fashion in Baker and Kearse.But I doubt Brown cuts into Murphy's time. He's probably going to compete with Jeffcoat for playing time.

Isn't his dad a power lifter or bodybuilder or some such thing.  If anybody can get stronger, I'd think it'd be Murphy.  It's probably in his genes, his whole family is huge.  

That's my point.  As well as staring in mirrors at mens bodies, which is wierd, body builders build slow strong muscles that have good endurance (in general),  That doesn't cut it against a same weight guy with lots of explosive twitch muscles.  Murphy would be good in a 10 minute wrestling match, not so much in a 30 second explosion of power before resetting and going again.

Murphy physically would make a good rugby player, where you play 40 minutes continuosly with no subs.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I would say that Amerson has been the next best defensive player after Kerrigan, not Robinson.  Keenan has been exposed on pass-coverage multiple times this year against opposing TE's and RB's, which was supposed to be his strength coming in.

Keenan Robinson named NFC Defensive Player of Week.. #Redskins ILB had career high 14 tackles vs Titans #RedskinsTalk

Now is the time to move him!!!!! 

Haha sorry bro. I just really like Keenan. In my eyes he is the player I am most happy about this year. 

Keep Murph working beside Kerrigan on 3rd and long. Let Riley rush  the qb in Rak's place. RIleycouldn't cover a two year old with a blanket so may as well blitz him.  He's actually pretty good in that role.

I think Gruden pretty much all but said Jeffcoat will be taking the role of Trent in the Nascar package. Riley's usefulness has probably run out as anything other than a back up.  

Not being a smart ass. Is the season still over for you if we happen to win? What if, now hear me out, we win, then beat the Vikes and Tampa.. that'd be 5 -5... and 10-6 usually gets u a wildcard..

Crazier things have happened. You never know. We need to figure out a way to get 7 or 8 wins at least for morale heading into next season.

OP's suggestion wouldn't even work in Madden.

Trent has had good moments and bad. He's a rookie, time for him to develop as a pass rusher in the NFL. Making judgments about his play off such a small sample, judgments that make a final conclusion and call for experimental changing, putting players out of position, is incredibly short-sighted and foolish. 

I for one am glad younger players are getting their shots and that certain fans aren't coaching the team.

I for one think Trent will do a fine job especially against the run on Monday night. Orakpo has been invisible this year other then busting up some runs and whiffing on running back in the backfield. I think Trent is a stout tackler and will hold his own on the edge. We will need that this week. Also were 2-5 why wouldn't we start him?

Whiffing? Usually when a defender makes contact with a RB, slowing him down and allowing his teammates to finish the play it's considered a positive play. Not for Orakpo haters though. It's a whiffed tackle in the backfield. Any penetration that disrupts a play is a positive play by your front seven.

Murphy has flat out looked like a scrub getting absolutely handled by blockers. On some plays he gets blocked so easily he looks like a DB. Wasn't he the idiot that got flagged on a punt last week giving the Titans a first down? I think that was him but I could be wrong. I haven't kept track but I hear Murphy's name more often for penalties than good plays. I know we want to be positive but from what I've seen to this point he has looked like a wasted pick and a major downgrade from Rob Jackson.

Haven't noticed in the pros, but, according to scouting reports, useless.

Useless is harsh. Doubt he is going to be great at it just from an athletic standpoint, but if he commits to learning proper technique he should be able to be adequate with his size and length. 

"Murphy also showed some ability in college to function dropping into pass coverage."

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014tmurphy.php

We used our first pick to address the exact position, that people are saying we shouldn't play him?

Reminds me of the movie Airplane, when they asked if they should turn on the runway lights and he responded "No, that's exactly what they're expecting".

Only this isn't so funny.

That's my point. As well as staring in mirrors at mens bodies, which is wierd, body builders build slow strong muscles that have good endurance (in general), That doesn't cut it against a same weight guy with lots of explosive twitch muscles. Murphy would be good in a 10 minute wrestling match, not so much in a 30 second explosion of power before resetting and going again.

Murphy physically would make a good rugby player, where you play 40 minutes continuosly with no subs.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I would say that in most sports, even basketball, college guys come in thinner and weaker. That is one of the more popular knocks on players coming out of college, so like Kerrigan, I'm willing to give him the offseason to get stronger. I'm not sure I'd want him at DE.

I know we want to be positive but from what I've seen to this point he has looked like a wasted pick and a major downgrade from Rob Jackson.

After 7 games? Really? You can tell he's a wasted pick after 7 games. I mean, I'm no expert either, but damn, some of you need to give these guys time.  I'm sure you didn't know everything about your job after 2 months on the job. 

See, this is the problem with our fanbase. We are not willing to let these guys develop.  We want quick fixes and want everyone to immediately come in and play like an all-pro.  Then if they don't, we get impatient and want to cut/trade/flog/kill these guys. Most fans in here scream for us to develop young guys through the draft, but want to throw them out after a handful of games because he's not playing like Aldon Smith. 

Come on Des, I know you're smarter than to think that.

Archived