Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who should replace Orakpo this week? Not Trent Murphy.

cleibo2

All I can say to this is don't be suprised to find a diamond in the rough. Trent Murphy just needs to play. Orakpo has .5 sack in 7 games for 11 mil...........Trent may suprise some of you. He's a freaking rookie man. He's not going to be perfect by any means. But if he gets 1 sack, that's more sacks than our  11 million dollar OLB ALL YEAR so far!

Too early for you. Not for me.  Top 50 pick with size and speed that can't play his way on the field.  Lack of desire appears to be the diagnosis.  Not a fan of Stanford players. Yeah, yeah, I know about Luck and Sherman.  Still they are not well represented in the NFL for their status as atop tier college team.

But he did play his way onto the field.   Despite having two top 20 picks starting ahead of him, one of them being our franchise player, he still has played 170+ snaps in 7 games.  You can argue his production in those snaps but to say he hasn't played his way onto the field is false.

I'm not sure how exactly you had diagnosed a "lack of desire."  You must have "sources" at Redskins Park that no one else does.

Many keep saying that they want the Redskins to grow the team the right way.  They want to stop feasting on free agent mercenaries and grow from within with cheap home picked talent.  Yet, I come to this thread and find a whole bunch of people who want to give up on our rookie second round pick after less than half a season before his first start.

Pretty inconsistent... and inconsistent is the kindest word I can think of. 

What do you mean by "gifted"? As in he didn't deserve it? Haslett only played him due to draft status? Or Cofield (and maybe Bowen's) injury meant a change of personnel?

I mean that he didnt 'beat anyone out' or 'earn the reps', Like many high round draft picks he was goven the opportunity.

The released Rob Jackson, Trent's only legit competition at OLB, any 3rd OLB snaps were Trent's by default.

And just to be clear I am not making a judgement about his play in this post.

I hope he plays his tail off, but I would prefer RJax right now.

I re-watched last weeks game to specifically watch Murphy when he came in. It was not pretty. It was quite ugly to be honest. The LT put him on the ground on multiple occasions. He was weak at the point of attack and he looked lost more often then not.

That being said? Let's see what the kid can or can't do. If he succeeds? Awesome. If not? We're finding out now and can address it this offseason.

Like others have said. If I'm Dallas I am game-planning to attack him. Smith will dominate him IMO. Just like he would 'Rak.

I re-watched last weeks game to specifically watch Murphy when he came in. It was not pretty. It was quite ugly to be honest. The LT put him on the ground on multiple occasions. He was weak at the point of attack and he looked lost more often then not.

That being said? Let's see what the kid can or can't do. If he succeeds? Awesome. If not? We're finding out now and can address it this offseason.

Like others have said. f I'm Dallas I am game-planning to attack him. Smith will dominate him IMO. Just like he would 'Rak.

Yeh, Smith is a tough matchup for any and every one.

Many keep saying that they want the Redskins to grow the team the right way.  They want to stop feasting on free agent mercenaries and grow from within with cheap home picked talent.  Yet, I come to this thread and find a whole bunch of people who want to give up on our rookie second round pick after less than half a season before his first start.

Pretty inconsistent... and inconsistent is the kindest word I can think of. 

It's not about giving up on anyone.  

If a player does not belong on the field because he is outmatched physically on each and every play, I really don't care what his draft status is.  Or even his age.  

CAN THE DUDE PLAY FOOTBALL?

The problem with us fans is we get enamored with the names and statuses of football players and don't just simply watch the players on the field.  The dude has not played well.  Period.

Does that mean "give up on him"?  No.  A resounding no.  At the same time, I'd rather have people who can play right now - and not look physically outmatched against other men on the same field.

Like others have said. If I'm Dallas I am game-planning to attack him. Smith will dominate him IMO. Just like he would 'Rak.

And I agree with you.  I don't want to give up on Murphy.  But dude, if you watch any of the other games this season, it's the same on each play Trent is in.  It's brutal.  The dude is not ready to play right now.

Yep. Looked decent against a top 3 tackle. Had plenty of good plays that won't be in the stats. Played physical. Almost had a game busting play. I'd say he looked good enough not to get cut for one more week.

And Keenan played another really good game at ilb. Probably keep him there for a little while longer.

Edit: Should have drawn a holding call in the endzone that would have sealed the game...so almost had 2 game busting plays. 

Murphy made more of an impact then Orakpo would have made tonight.

by the way, on the 3rd and 8 after the Kerrigan near fumble recovery, Murphy gets held/grabbed in the end zone....should have been a safety

He was held for a good two seconds. I get that officials don't want to be the deciding factor in a game but that was so freaking blatant that even NFL.com has it up on highlights, asking if that was a missed call.

Yes

If I'm Jason Garrett a large part of my gameplan is attacking Murphy in the run game and passing game. You'll see

Welp. I didn't see. I did see a couple of plays where he got out of position, saw a couple where he was in the right position, saw him do some good things. Saw him do some not so good things. But, I saw an NFL player, though a rookie. I saw enough ability to be optimistic about his future. 

Haven't noticed in the pros, but, according to scouting reports, useless.

Don't mean to come back and say I told you so, just wanted to bump this because I remember thinking last night, thats pretty good right there. The two times I specifically remember Murphy dropping into coverage, he looked good. Both times got good hands on the receiver at the line knockin him off the route then dropped back into coverage pretty smoothly. I am sure he dropped back other times, Id have to rewatch, but if nothing else those two plays showed me he has the potential to not be bad in coverage. 

Archived