Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A fundamental problem: We don't understand what kind of bad owner Snyder is

Lombardi's_kid_brother

I'll never understand this defense. "Snyder isn't the one missing the tackles"; "Snyder isn't responsible for the horrid D"

SNYDER brought in the BUMS who make the calls for the ST, defense, and Oline! It all starts with him! He's the d*** source and the root of our problems! When BUMS like Riley miss easy tackles that result in TDs, it goes back to the coaching and the front office responsible for training/signing this BUM, both of whom are SNYDER'S responsibility! If a store manager hires a supervisor who then hires a snot-nosed, pimple-faced nerd who out of the blue one day decides to take a dump on the floor of aisle 11, sure the manager gets a pass. Happens a second time, the supervisor get canned. Happens a third time, then you can safely assume the store manager doesn't have a CLUE outside of hiring supervisors who hire turd-dropping employees!

but his GM made the moves. A GM many here liked...

Also 2012 was a great season for a low team like the skins. People forget that. It's as if, they expect a team like this to go from bad to super good and stay like that all by itself.. How often do you see other NFL teams that are bad turn around and become Super Bowl level super teams like the Patriots/Broncos?

Also 2012 was a great season for a low team like the skins. People forget that. It's as if, they expect a team like this to go from bad to super good and stay like that all by itself.. How often do you see other NFL teams that are bad turn around and become Super Bowl level super teams like the Patriots/Broncos?

You're asking the wrong question. Very few teams ever get on the level of the Patriots, but they do become at least competent and compete. We have a playoff year and then are right back to the bottom of the NFC East for the next 5 years. Snyder has owned the team for 15 years and we have been a dysfunctional incompetent franchise ever since with a few lucky playoff runs. 

The one common thing on this board is posters like every move LOL.  We celebrate victory prior to ever winning a game.  The offseason champs isn't overstated.  Bruce Allen's hiring was heralded like the resurrection.

Mike Brown is not generally well liked for good reasons. He inherited the team from his beloved father, ran it into the ground for 20 years while making a fortune, and raped the taxpayers of Hamilton County. Mike Brown's behavior over the past 20 years has bordered on criminal fraud at times.

But he's not well like locally. EVERYONE hates Dan Snyder. He gets mocked on national broadcasts. He gets mocked by other team's broadcasters. Christ, he's enough of a punching bag to be a character on South Park. (Arthur Blank looks like a character out of a Hammer Horror film but he's never going to get lampooned like that).

People know the dude. And do not like him.

I think the only reason he's known nationally is because of the name controversy. Otherwise, he's probably known to football fans for an owner who has made a lot of high profile moves that haven't succeeded.

Also, I have yet to see the fan base here get angry enough to pay for a billboard to say as much.

The same reason people bash Justin Bieber and for a while Tom Cruise - it's easy to do.

Except those two are globally recognized entertainment icons and Snyder is a short billionaire who doesn't give interviews.

I guess the question: Why the **** do people in Seattle actually know Snyder's name? (For the record, I had to look up Arthur Blank's name because it escaped me. I was thinking "That dude who looks like a butler who is secretly poisoning people").

By the way, if I ever found myself in Arthur Blank's home, I would spend the entire time pulling books off bookshelves looking for the secret passage.

I think the only reason he's known nationally is because of the name controversy. Otherwise, he's probably known to football fans for an owner who has made a lot of high profile moves that haven't succeeded.

Also, I have yet to see the fan base here get angry enough to pay for a billboard to say as much.

The name controversy heated up about two years ago, right? People have been going after Snyder since he bought the team.

Terry Bradshaw got weirdly personal with Snyder back in 2000 after the Jeff George nonsense, remember? He somehow used George as a launching pad to attack Snyder AND Sonny Jurgenson. And Bradshaw never says anything of note.

That same year, Myron Cope dropped that "Stick his head in a bucket of paint" line that became a national story.

How many other owners have been openly criticized on any team's local broadcast?

Except those two are globally recognized entertainment icons and Snyder is a short billionaire who doesn't give interviews.

I guess the question: Why the **** do people in Seattle actually know Snyder's name? (For the record, I had to look up Arthur Blank's name because it escaped me. I was thinking "That dude who looks like a butler who is secretly poisoning people").

By the way, if I ever found myself in Arthur Blank's home, I would spend the entire time pulling books off bookshelves looking for the secret passage.

The name controversy heated up about two years ago, right? People have been going after Snyder since he bought the team.

Terry Bradshaw got weirdly personal with Snyder back in 2000 after the Jeff George nonsense, remember? He somehow used George as a launching pad to attack Snyder AND Sonny Jurgenson. And Bradshaw never says anything of note.

That same year, Myron Cope dropped that "Stick his head in a bucket of paint" line that became a national story.

How many other owners have been openly criticized on any team's local broadcast?

Snyder and Jerry Jones are definitely the 2 most known owners in the league and not for good reason. Let's face it. We have probably the worst owner in the NFL.

Urban legend.

I still remember Chris Bermans rant on nfl prime time back in 1999 when Norv was fired

This was 1 year into snyders tenure and Berman and Jackson felt the need to devote an entire segment of the show to a monologue about how Snyder was going to have to learn how to be a human being

I mean, that's unprecedented. Haslam is under FBI investigation and fired his first year coach. Nothing. Irsay gets picked up for dwi and drugs. The medias reaction has been sympathy

These kinds of opinions about people are not formed from nothing. And they don't persist for 15 years just because

I still remember Chris Bermans rant on nfl prime time back in 1999 when Norv was fired

This was 1 year into snyders tenure and Berman and Jackson felt the need to devote an entire segment of the show to a monologue about how Snyder was going to have to learn how to be a human being

I mean, that's unprecedented. Haslam is under FBI investigation and fired his first year coach. Nothing. Irsay gets picked up for dwi and drugs. The medias reaction has been sympathy

These kinds of opinions about people are not formed from nothing. And they don't persist for 15 years just because

Edit:

There is a 100 percent chance that joke gets misunderstood.

I forgot about that: Chris Berman attacked Snyder.

Chris Freaking Berman, the NFL bootlicker to end all NFL bootlickers.

And Marty got hired in part because he was so vicious towards Snyder in 2000.

It's really amazing: Snyder is treated similarly to Donald Sterling, who had a legitimate 40 year history of being a vile racist. There is nothing that awful on Snyder's record yet everyone feels perfectly justified in just laying into him at every chance.

(Regarding Isray.....the person most criticized there has been Goodell).

Peep this:

http://a.espncdn.com/chrismortensen/s/2000/1204/923219.html

This is all you need to know about Daniel Snyder: He considered hiring Pepper Rodgers as the interim coach of the Washington Redskins. Honest. Now, Snyder has hired Rodgers as vice president of football operations.

I have nothing against Rodgers. Good guy. He used to be a coach. He's made me laugh on many occasions. He just made me laugh again.

Oh, if you're a Redskins fan, you should laugh till you cry.

I guess the best thing that could happen to Snyder -- and this is a real possibility -- is that all those big-name coaches he has his sights set on will not even return his phone call. Two of those men have already told me just that.

He could do worse than to end up with Terry Robiskie as Norv Turner's successor. Robiskie was named the interim coach when Turner was dismissed Monday after Washington's 9-7 loss to the New York Giants. Robiskie is more than qualified. He has been an NFL assistant for 19 years. He's been an offensive coordinator with the Raiders. He has had his share of success. He has "leader" written all over him.

Some might call him fiery, some might call him rough around the edges. Either way, Robiskie is strong enough for the job. He gives no quarter. He certainly spoke his mind to Snyder when he learned that the owner was toying with the idea of letting Rodgers coach the team.

Don't think we're that bad off, anymore, but there are some glaring consistencies.

Dan lacked patience for a number of years. I hope he has become more patient. There is also a scitzo culture at Redskins park.

It's very difficult for an organization to "buy groceries" every couple years with different shoppers and expect a respectable entree.

Either you're going to be a smash mouth team or a finesse team. Either you're going to be a 3-4 defense or a 4-3. Either you want a pocket passer or a read option guy. Either you want a general manager or simply a salary cap guy.

What do you want Dan??!!!!

Dan: "um....um"

Do you want an offensive line that protect? Or do you think your skill players will suffice? Do you want to pay a guy that can't rush the QB or do you tell him to go kick rocks?

Dan: "um...um"

Make a ****ing decision and stick with it, Dan!!! If your head coach averages 1.85 years on the job, what type of teams do you expect to have?

We all know what happens to unused groceries...they spoil. Well hasn't these teams smelled like wet garbage?

There needs to be a person with the right vision who is the big decider for any successful NFL team IMO. Be it an owner if he's active in the operation of the franchise, or a GM/team president for franchises where ownership is detached.

I'd define the chief responsibilities--on the football side of things--for that leader and decision maker as these:

- Choose the strategic directions of the football team.

- Choose smart and qualified subordinates, especially the ones that carry out the daily functions of coaching.

- Establish the behavioral norms that will form the culture of the organization.

- Focus the team on the competitive purpose behind their daily actions and responsibilities.

- Inspire willingness for individual sacrifice to benefit the team collectively.

- Insulate everyone under you from the losses of confidence that can result from daily failures and set backs--inspire their trust in you and the organization.

Snyder has NOT been successful at doing these things. He's not a football guy, so that's a problem. But he also hasn't been successful at hiring a football guy as GM or Team President that's done these things either. That's the leadership void that's plagued us during his period of ownership. The only time that void has been filled was Gibbs before he burned out, and the start of Shanahan's regime before he went down in flames. I'd guess a lack of trust that's been systemic for Snyder's Redskins was the core reason for whatever caused the destruction of Shanahan's and Snyder's relationship.

- Establish the behavioral norms that will form the culture of the organization.

More than anything, I think this is the problem. I don't think it matters if its Gibbs, Marty, Vinny, Shanahan, Allen, Parcells, Pate Carrol, various Harbaughs, Glenn Beck, Tom Cruise, the photographer who took the Kevin Durant shoes picture, or the ghost of Pop Warner picking the players. The problem is the culture. How nasty, back-biting, paranoid it is.

We are the only team in the league that consistently has a "leak" problem like we're the Nixon White House. Someone is always undermining someone else.

That's why we need a consultant. Bill Polian. Bill Parcells. Someone that will hold his hand and tell him everything that he needs to do.

I won't trust a single move he makes until that happens

We've essentially done that three times.

Marty, Gibbs, and Shanahan were all going to teach Snyder "how to run a team."

Why would these two septugenarians be any more successful?

(I would, however, pay to listen to a Parcells-Snyder meeting.

"Now listen, shorty, the key to football is kicking the **** out of the other asshole lined up across from you? You want to write this down, Tiny?"

"I have a good memory."

"Good....now some of these guys are a little touched in the head but you need some of that. A little nose candy is okay but keep the crack out."

"Got it."

"Great job, Mini-Hebe. Okay....now pay attention....let's talk Jap plays. Every great team has a few really great Jap plays."

"Jap plays?"

"Surprises....like when those slanty eyed devils bombed us in '41? Don't you read history, short round?")

It actually didn't post Gibbs :) That's the point some people don't get.  There was no home field advantage at RFK when the team sucked.  No bouncing stands, no we want Dallas.  I sat through that 4-12 Petitbon season.  Winning and greatness gives home field advantage.  FedEx never had a chance, how much energy will be devoted to a team that struggles to win 6 games a year.

as bad as many recent seasons have been, 1994...  0-8 at home.  pre-snyder, pre-fedex, still in DC.

I can give the "new" regime some time.  what, they might fail to win for a few more years again?  I'm used to failure now.

For some reason I think Snyder seems to rub people the wrong way.  I think alot of times he comes off as a bit fake and artificial, like he's trying to hide something.   Would also probably help if he smiled or even joked in interview from time to time.   Maybe he should be more honest, e.g. has he ever come out and say something like "wow the Redskins really stink" ?.   I know Tom Benson did that once (2005)

I also think that your average fan has a harder time relating to Snyder than then do to say, Jerry Jones.  Your average fan might say "well if I was that rich and owned an NFL team, wouldn't I be tempted to act like Jones a bit?"   But for Snyder, I think thats less the case.   Of course, the difference between your average fan and JJ/Snyder is probably the same, but its the perception that matters.   Kind of like how people could imaigne themselves sharing a beer with GW Bush , but nor really with Al Gore or John Kerry, even though they in reality, all hose top politicians are probably just as elitist as they come. 

The problem may stem from the fact that Snyder was initially, a very visibile and outspoken owner, but then kind of messed it up, became less accessible and the media never really changed their opinion of him.   And unlike JJ, he didn't have that success to speak of and even less charisma.   If he had been a detached owner from the start, maybe he wouldn't be getting such a bad rap now.

Snyder comes off as the nerdy unathletic kid in HS that really wanted to be a jock. Found success as an adult and maybe some of that old rejection and insecurity lends itself to some of his behavior.

Simply a theory to explain what PJ is asking about. I have no idea. Could be way off base.

If he treats people poorly on a consistent basis then he just reaps what he sows like we all do. If you treat people like garbage, they won't stand up for you if they don't have to. Maybe that's what he has always done and maybe that's just who he is--a bad guy.

I think a more plausible theory is that he got big britches when he first arrived, took many missteps, and developed a horrible rep. And reps are hard to shake. My guess is that he's chilled out and been humbled and that some of the stuff we heard about early on likely doesn't happen now. He is awkward and stiff in front of the camera which does him no favors. Perhaps at this point he can't escape the old rep because he doesn't have the personal PR charm to do so.

Look at Biscotti down the road: it can be argued his handling of the Ray Rice deal was worse than anything DS has done. But Biscuotti is from central casting in terms of slickness. He owned his presser and came across as confident and in control. And when you look the part, people often look the other way.

If DS is a terrible human being that doesn't really care about the team or fans then we are likely doomed. If he's just clueless on how to properly build a culture, then there is hope. That hope is that at some point he lucks into someone that can fix it.

I found this sweatshirt while going through some old clothes.  I have resigned myself that as long as Snyder owns the team; we will never be consistent winners.  Odds are very slim, I will be able to buy a sweatshirt that says Superbowl Champions- Washington Redskins or whatever we are known as then. :(

65072_10204241818717537_6331770146985922

Archived