Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A fundamental problem: We don't understand what kind of bad owner Snyder is

Lombardi's_kid_brother

The Redskins didn't get the practice bubble until 2011 and it was after Mike Shanahan had to practically beg the Danny for one.

Before the bubble, the team would practice in a aircraft hangar at Dulles. How rediculous is that?

The only thing Danny loves more than the Redskins is his money.

And he'll pick money every time over the Redskins

The Redskins didn't get the practice bubble until 2011 and it was after Mike Shanahan had to practically beg the Danny for one.

Before the bubble, the team would practice in a aircraft hangar at Dulles. How rediculous is that?

The only thing Danny loves more than the Redskins is his money.

And he'll pick money every time over the Redskins

Or the basketball gym at the Y

Dan Snyder admits he is the problem.

When asked about getting blamed for the Redskins' on-field woes "You know...you're responsible as the owner of the team... so because you own the team, it's your fault," Snyder said.

"I let people down. I've done a lot of things wrong...." Dan Snyder said. "It's awfully embarrassing. It's a hard feeling and it takes a little time to realize that I made a mistake, and a lot of mistakes, and big mistakes."

Do you have a link to this? or did he say that in his scripted "interview" with Chick Hernandez?

It doesn't really matter when he continues to make them.

Dude needs to go to AA for bad sports team owners.

When I was in college, one of my friends (from Tampa) joked a few times that there should be a reality show where they put the Glazers, Dan Snyder, and I forget who else in a beach house and record them spouting off their stupid ideas about how to run an NFL team. This was over a decade ago.

Bad owners CAN win. I'm a Reds fan. Marge Schott was a pretty despicable person. Her stories (confirmed ones) put Snyder to shame in terms of how she treated people. And unlike Snyder she didn't even truly have an affinity for her team.

Yet the Reds won the World Series in 1990 under watch and were close again in 1995. Generally a competitive a respectable on field product while she was there.

Just pointing out that bad ownership isn't always a death sentence on the field. It can be overcome.

As one of the biggest Snyder haters here since the beginning of his tenure, I've held off on posting in this thread, but I've had some friends say to me recently, "yeah, Snyder is a douche bag, but if he builds a new cool stadium, it'll be worth it."

I want to caution all Skins fans, that while a new stadium is probably needed, it may be the absolute worst thing that could happen if you'd like to see Snyder get pushed out.

A new stadium, while seating far less fans, will inevitably have PSLs attached to the seats. No way Dan passes up that opportunity for free money. Let's say the new stadium seats 75,000. If the PSLs cost an average of $5000 each, that would be a total profit of $375 million! Again, that is free money. The tickets still must be purchased, and if you give up your seat, you lose the $ paid for the PSL. Dan would get to resell that PSL. Yes, I know that most everyone would sell their PSL privately, but what will the secondary market bear? That amount of free money keeps Snyder solvent and in the owners box for life.

I live in Charlotte, where "the savior" Jerry Richardson started this whole PSL fiasco. (Worst thing to happen to fans in professional sports history, IMHO). I told anyone who would listen, and many who wouldn't, that this was the biggest scam I'd ever heard of, but so many wanted pro football that they couldn't shell out fast enough. Now, the Panthers have had a few good seasons, but have sucked more often than not, and people have been losing money reselling their PSLs, but Richardson stays fat and happy. A good friend now says that he wishes he would have listened to me, as he sells his seats to 5 or 6 games a year in order to recoup losses and hold on to the PSL because he would lose thousands reselling the PSLs privately. BTW, any time I want to go to a Panthers game, I've had no problem scalping tickets at face value, and often well below.

If you truly want Snyder gone, the only way to accomplish that is to hit him where it hurts, in his profit margin belly! I gave up my season tickets years ago. I go to one away game yearly, because Snyder reaps very little from away games, and I still get to see the Skins. Also, the venue is always nicer than FedEx. I stopped buying merchandise, unless it is off market, so that Snyder won't see a penny from it. It may not be the real McCoy, but it looks like it. 

And, I urge you to fight allowing Snyder to build his stadium. It'll not only cost you PSLs, and probably more expensive parking and concessions, but I'm sure he will shill for the biggest payoff he can get from the community who wants the stadium, thereby leading to higher taxes for that area. 

OK, rant over.

Bad owners CAN win. I'm a Reds fan. Marge Schott was a pretty despicable person. Her stories (confirmed ones) put Snyder to shame in terms of how she treated people. And unlike Snyder she didn't even truly have an affinity for her team.

Yet the Reds won the World Series in 1990 under watch and were close again in 1995. Generally a competitive a respectable on field product while she was there.

Just pointing out that bad ownership isn't always a death sentence on the field. It can be overcome.

The Bengals are the current example of that. Mike Brown is still a miserable owner. The team just got good.

I do think it is more difficult in the NFL to overcome the bad owner though. It seems to be the one sport where getting incredibly lucky in talent doesn't guarantee you anything. In basketball, if you get Blake Griffin or Anthony Davis, you are going to win. In baseball, if three of your pitching prospects work out at the same time, you are going to win. In football, the blind luck of the draft can help you but it doesn't guarantee you things like in football, baseball, and maybe even hockey.

The Bengals are the current example of that. Mike Brown is still a miserable owner. The team just got good.

I do think it is more difficult in the NFL to overcome the bad owner though. It seems to be the one sport where getting incredibly lucky in talent doesn't guarantee you anything. In basketball, if you get Blake Griffin or Anthony Davis, you are going to win. In baseball, if three of your pitching prospects work out at the same time, you are going to win. In football, the blind luck of the draft can help you but it doesn't guarantee you things like in football, baseball, and maybe even hockey.

I think this is very true, and I'll take it a step further. In football, individuals can't control the team or outcome of games nearly as easily as the other big sports. Football is the ultimate team game, and to have a successful team, everybody must buy in to the fraternity, and this MUST be the coach(es).

Sometimes respected players, or groups of players, can coalesce a team, but never in opposition to the coaching staff. This is where the Redskins have missed the mark under Snyder.

With the exception of the Gibbs tenure, Snyder has always inserted himself into the fabric of the team, becoming buddies with certain players, and having set-to's with some coaches and administrators. Until Snyder distances himself personally from the team, they will continue to fail. Giving leeway to some, and not to others, is a sure way to breed contempt and individualism in what needs to be a cohesive whole to have success.

I think this is very true, and I'll take it a step further. In football, individuals can't control the team or outcome of games nearly as easily as the other big sports. Football is the ultimate team game, and to have a successful team, everybody must buy in to the fraternity, and this MUST be the coach(es).

Sometimes respected players, or groups of players, can coalesce a team, but never in opposition to the coaching staff. This is where the Redskins have missed the mark under Snyder.

With the exception of the Gibbs tenure, Snyder has always inserted himself into the fabric of the team, becoming buddies with certain players, and having set-to's with some coaches and administrators. Until Snyder distances himself personally from the team, they will continue to fail. Giving leeway to some, and not to others, is a sure way to breed contempt and individualism in what needs to be a cohesive whole to have success.

One person CAN make that impact in football--- he just has to be a QB or a coach/GM.

Snyder was the owner two years ago when we went 10-6 and looked unstoppable in December. We looked that way because we suddenly had a QB thst no one knew how to slow down. Then, his body did it for them and we have sunk back down. If rg3 and/or Gruden have greatness in them, we can still be OK.

I want to caution all Skins fans, that while a new stadium is probably needed, it may be the absolute worst thing that could happen if you'd like to see Snyder get pushed out.

A new stadium, while seating far less fans, will inevitably have PSLs attached to the seats. No way Dan passes up that opportunity for free money. Let's say the new stadium seats 75,000. If the PSLs cost an average of $5000 each, that would be a total profit of $375 million! Again, that is free money. The tickets still must be purchased, and if you give up your seat, you lose the $ paid for the PSL. Dan would get to resell that PSL. Yes, I know that most everyone would sell their PSL privately, but what will the secondary market bear? That amount of free money keeps Snyder solvent and in the owners box for life.

From Wiki:

Here is a list of some of the teams that have seat licenses:

NFL Seat Licenses

Baltimore Ravens PSL[1]

Carolina Panthers PSL

Chicago Bears PSL

Cincinnati Bengals COA (Charter Ownership Agreements)

Cleveland Browns PSL

Dallas Cowboys SL (Seat Licenses) (Effective at AT&T Stadium only.)

New York Giants PSL (Effective at New Meadowlands Stadium only. Buying Giants PSL does not give ticket rights for Jets.)

New York Jets PSL (Effective at New Meadowlands Stadium only. Policies differ from the Giants. Buying Jets PSL does not give ticket rights for Giants.)

Houston Texans PSL

Philadelphia Eagles SBL (Stadium Builder Licenses)

Pittsburgh Steelers SL

San Francisco 49ers SBL (Stadium Builder Licenses)

Seattle Seahawks CSL (Charter Seat Licenses)

St. Louis Rams PSL

Tennessee Titans PSL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_seat_license

Seems to me that unless the Redskins put together several really good years in a row on the field prior to the building of a new stadium, PSLs will be an extremely tough sell. The myth of high demand and consecutive Redskins sellouts has crumbled in recent years with the tearing out of one quarter of FedEx Fields' upper deck. Season ticket holders are dropping out and they are running through the inflated waiting list for new season ticket buyers. They can't sell the club seats at the outlandish prices they're asking. It's a bad environment in DC these days to try to market PSLs. Unless the new stadium is a plush palace and PSLs come with game day lap dances and free beer, I predict season ticket sales will plummet if holders are asked to pony up multi-thousands up front for PSLs.

Took them how long to build a practice bubble?

They play in a dump that's made an even bigger dump b/c they don't take care of it.

Don't want to pay to maintain the upper level? Rip it out and leave it looking like a tornado ripped through.

They play on a field that doesn't last past mid season. Draft the fastest, most athletic QB in decades? Make him operate on the worst track in football.

Have the only team band in the NFL? Put them up in the nosebleeds and make them pantomime HTTR while they blare out the lame version on the PA.

Have skunked beer or old peanuts? Unload them on the fanbase, marked up.

Racial controversy? Make hollow, pathetic, obviously reactionary gestures that only dig yourself even further in the hole.

NOTHING they do is smart, measured, or contains even the slightest amount of tact.

It's the culture, it's the organization, it's mediocre.

It's been 15 years now, it's not changing.

ONLY two shining lights have found a way to win in that time:

Joe Jackson Gibbs & Robert Griffin III

Agreed. Nailed it.

One person CAN make that impact in football--- he just has to be a QB or a coach/GM.

Snyder was the owner two years ago when we went 10-6 and looked unstoppable in December. We looked that way because we suddenly had a QB thst no one knew how to slow down. Then, his body did it for them and we have sunk back down. If rg3 and/or Gruden have greatness in them, we can still be OK.

Sorry, but I can't agree there. Sure RGIII was dynamic and put the team on his back to reach the playoffs, but it wasn't until after a disappointing first half of the season, and a coaching decision to let Griff do his thing. They won a couple games, the team got together behind Griff, and they beat up a handful of mediocre teams to reach the playoffs. Think they win without Morris and Garcon, Cofield and Kerrigan?

A case for the opposite side is occurring right now in Seattle. Last year they were the Legion of Boom. Everybody was on board with what Carroll was selling, and they rode that and Wilson and Lynch to a title. This year, Sherman and Wilson are on every other commercial, rumblings of a locker room division that forced a Harvin trade, and the invincible Seahawks are .500.

Besides, in football you have twice as many players as in baseball or hockey, and three times more than basketball. Togetherness and monmentum carry great weight on the gridiron.

Can you be a fan of the Redskins and want the name changed? Moreover, if the person wants the name changed why hang out on the Redskin's blog/forum?

Yes, I can assure you I can be a fan. :)

I don't have a problem with the name, but I can understand how somebody could.

I understand how somebody could have issues with Native American mascots. But there is no difference between "Redskins" or "Indians" or "Chiefs." I don't care who you are, if someone tells you they're Native American you aren't going to use ANY of those terms in their presence. And our imagery is nowhere near that of the Indians, Braves, or Seminoles.

It's a fabricated social media issue, like a lot of stuff in the news today. I'm convinced some frustrated Cowboys/Eagles/Giants fan started this stuff back up after RG3 swept them in 2012 and they saw the writing on the wall for the next decade.

Bring in ESPN, that actually puts tweets on the air (as if anyone could give less of a ****), and it's "an issue." An issue that's driven by a social righteousness that doesn't have the gravitas to actually tackle the larger issue or the mental processing power to get past the word "red" or "skin" even though we call ourselves "black" and "white" every ******* day.

Rodriggo,

The name change thing is a moot point; Snyder won't change it and I give him  props for that.  Anyone else buys this team and we can kiss the name Redskins goodbye.

BUT, if there was an ultimatum on Snyder, I've got it; call them the WREDSKINS.  the powwow people can **** all they want, but they have no legal right to, because the name was changed, it doesn't reflect a color, and everyone is happy; sort of.

FTR, I still want the Redskin name.  Snyder just needs to get in front of a mic in front of the media and call it like it is; a few Indians, lawyers, and democrats are wanting it changed; the majority of people don't. And the only ones with a dog in the fight are the Indians; lawyers and democrats can all drive off a cliff and I wouldn't cry one bit, because they're the ones pushing the issue; Snyder stood his ground and he deserves a lot more support than what he's getting from fans. His mistake was hiring a bafoon like allen to run things, as if his track record didn't scream 'stay away from me' already.

As one of the biggest Snyder haters here since......OK, rant over.

Hate to tell you this, but stadium money is now just the icing on the cake. NFL teams are making so much from television that this other stuff that used to matter just doesn't anymore. Teams pretty much don't have to be good, they'll still make money. With services like stub hub, teams can even assure sufficient attendance through oposing teams fans and die hard ticket holders.

Jerrys world will be the last major stadium ever built. Moving forward teams are going to scale stadium size down.

Hate to tell you this, but stadium money is now just the icing on the cake. NFL teams are making so much from television that this other stuff that used to matter just doesn't anymore. Teams pretty much don't have to be good, they'll still make money. With services like stub hub, teams can even assure sufficient attendance through oposing teams fans and die hard ticket holders.

Jerrys world will be the last major stadium ever built. Moving forward teams are going to scale stadium size down.

Under the new TV contracts, NFL teams are making roughly $137 million per year. That is close to what the salary cap is now, and the cap will only go up. True profits are made through ticket sales, parking, novelty and apparel sales, and concession, not to mention stadium naming rights. Not going, and not buying their junk, hurts the owners directly.

Also, Stub Hub and the like are 99% resales of already purchased tickets, holds little bearing on income.

If you truly want Snyder gone, the only way to accomplish that is to hit him where it hurts, in his profit margin belly! I gave up my season tickets years ago. I go to one away game yearly, because Snyder reaps very little from away games, and I still get to see the Skins. Also, the venue is always nicer than FedEx. I stopped buying merchandise, unless it is off market, so that Snyder won't see a penny from it. It may not be the real McCoy, but it looks like it. 

If the majority of fans hit him in the wallet, then Snyder would move the team to Los Angeles where his hollywood friends live.

Archived