Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Can't we fix our Special Teams...

gatito

I wouldn't get rid of Kai... The coverage units and the lack of kick off distances do bother me though. If those kickoffs are in the end zone return possibilities just are not possible. Someone mentioned the constant holding calls and things of that nature on punt returns which is also annoying. Overall I just don't see what they are exactly practicing? They constantly continue to make the same errors over and over again. Enough is enough. If ST's costs us anymore games I bet Kotwica will be fired. You just can't tolerate those **** ups in the NFL. 

These statements are not in agreement with each other. 

You are right.

I should have said, "dad-gum I hate our spec teams play out side of Tress Way and Andre Roberts!"

They should have tacked the phily return dude and the missed field goal would have been a mute point.

The Fan in me is real mad, but the realist in me says that as bad as spec teams has been this year, it is actually better than last year, even though they are still costing games.

You are right.

I should have said, "dad-gum I hate our spec teams play out side of Tress Way and Andre Roberts!"

They should have tacked the phily return dude and the missed field goal would have been a mute point.

The Fan in me is real mad, but the realist in me says that as bad as spec teams has been this year, it is actually better than last year, even though they are still costing games.

Hard to be worse than last year...literally.

Ever since Lorenzo left it's gone downhill as far as coverage goes. Not sure why we can't figure this part out. As far as a kicker, Forbath needs to be shown the door. After last season I thought he should've been out and I would've rather us keep Hocker. 33 yarder should be a lock for any FG kicker in the NFL. I'm usually against drafting a kicker, but I'm all in for the 2015 draft.

Absolutely.  Alexander was Mr. Everything on this team.  Offense, defense, and special teams.  I know WTF they were thinking by letting him go.  This team used to be so good at special teams even they flat out sucked during the bad years in 1993-1998.  B-Mitch was the lone bright spot, but he was electric and Chip Lohmiller was just automatic no matter what.  Pete Rodriguez was a great ST coach back then for Mitchell and those teams.  Since then, they've go through the kicker carousel and the coverage breakdowns have continued.  They've got a LONG way to go fix the special teams unit.  Hopefully, some day they'll get right.  SMH!

Smith, Burns, and Kotwica all had NFL experience before coming to the Redskins.  Smith has gone to coach elsewhere.

If it is always the coach, at some point in time you have to look beyond the coach.

To what?

th traffic outside the stadium?

Penalties are a hallmark of coaching, and offsides on kickoffs... seriously, there is no more glaring example of a lack of discipline.

Smith is gone, and he had 7 years here to get it done.

I know people like to look back and think he's blameless, but 7 years of failure is enough.

Burns and Kotwika had some assistant background, and while ST Coach is an entry-level position, it's clear Burns was in over his head, and Kotwika's players are making sloppy mistakes that are discipline oriented.

This offseason talent for ST was specifically sought out.

So the question is..    was the FO so clueless is finding players, or in finding a coach who could work the players?

I'm not ready to make a decision on it. Three games in is not enough time to be pulling any coach's plug, especially one in his first year.

The good news is I think these sorts of problems can be fixed. he just needs to do it, and the players need to execute with discipline.

I said back when my rant against the Danny began that Gano was never the problem, and i am thinking had we not cut Gano we'd not be talking about missed kicks and kickoffs that don't go deep.

~Bang

To what?

Penalties are a hallmark of coaching, and offsides on kickoffs... seriously, there is no more glaring example of a lack of discipline.

Smith is gone, and he had 7 years here to get it done.

I know people like to look back and think he's blameless, but 7 years of failure is enough.

Burns and Kotwika had some assistant background, and while ST Coach is an entry-level position, it's clear Burns was in over his head, and Kotwika's players are making sloppy mistakes that are discipline oriented.

This offseason talent for ST was specifically sought out.

So the question is..    was the FO so clueless is finding players, or in finding a coach who could work the players?

I'm not ready to make a decision on it. Three games in is not enough time to be pulling any coach's plug, especially one in his first year.

The good news is I think these sorts of problems can be fixed. he just needs to do it, and the players need to execute with discipline.

I said back when my rant against the Danny began that Gano was never the problem, and i am thinking had we not cut Gano we'd not be talking about missed kicks and kickoffs that don't go deep.

~Bang

Maybe game checks needs to be 'altered'  accordingly to their performance.

I've always believed that if every player in the NFL were subjected to 'pay for play', the NFL would look differently, but hell, our ST players would be OWING the Redskins money in that case.

To what?

To an organizational philosophy that at least dates to when Gibbs was here about how to build a team.

A philosophy/approach that results in one saying that we have a 2nd year 6th round pick that we are comfortable starting for 2 games at the beginning of the year, but after that isn't even good enough to be on the roster or even the practice squad (my reading of the new of the PS rules is that it would have at least been possible for us to put him on the PS).

**EDIT**

I believe a lot of the personal people are actually the same.  Sometimes I wonder if what see isn't so much Snyder, but just institutional "memory"/"practices" that come from not having  a real house cleaning.

Which I guess at some level is Snyder.

*EDIT*

I suspect even the idea of getting established FA's pretty much for the sole purpose (i.e. there was no real plan to utilize those LBs as special coverage or rush or anything LBs as part of the defense) of improving special teams is very unusual and suggest odd concepts about building a team.

Im listening to 980 and just seething mad at this point.  I think I felt better after the game than I do now.  Why the hell can't we get a damn ST that is just average?  Why is it so damn hard for this team to find a guy to kick off and make short yardage FGs?  I don't get it. Just pissed as this unit continues to let everyone down and with a very rare exception make a positive play.

Its beyond comprehension how this team can't get it done when most other teams don't struggle like we do - especially continually.  Is there another team that has been as consistently bad as we have been?

Oh by the way,  that was holding on the Eagles during that TD return play. That's what allowed the returner to get free.....I just saw it again on the highlights. 

I think the first game was a mental error on Helu releasing early.

On this game, the KO return for a TD was a combination of factors... refs not calling the holding penalty and guys not attacking their assignments.  In this game if you hesitate, you will be beat.  

If you don't kick the ball straight through the end zone, you better come down on ST like they will be taking it back.

I might be the only one but the ST is a lot more improved from last year.

I guess a lot of guys don't fear for their job or must be satisfied with their efforts. 

I think we hand picked Adam Hayward out of free agency to be our special teams ace, however I think he's just an average special teams player.

Our Kickoffs are too short and often do not have hangtime.

I just don't get it:  I'm reading some posts here that say we should keep Forbath.  I disagree.  We've never been able to get him to do kickoffs into the end zone (and he's not doing kickoffs at all now), and he can't kick field goals with accuracy (the main reason he's on this team) because he's injured.  He's a liability!  Was Zach Hocker more of a liability than this?  I thought their play in the pre-season was about equal.

All I know is that last night, the two kickers were Oh-No-Gano and Suisham.  We are clearly doing something terribly wrong as a franchise when it comes to special teams.

I was thinking about how these 2 guys leave the Skins and become automatic the minute they put on another uniform.  It's some BS curse or something.  Looking back, if Forbath actually had a leg and was able to kick off, this team wouldn't have to rely on Way to kick off.  If Forbath at least makes that FG, this team has a 4th quarter lead and who knows what might have happened after that.  Instead we got what we got.  A kicker has 2 jobs:  to kick FGs and kickoff and Forbath seemingly can't do either one.  That's pathetic on his part and on the coaching staff for keeping him around knowing that he sucks.  

I was thinking about how these 2 guys leave the Skins and become automatic the minute they put on another uniform.  It's some BS curse or something.  Looking back, if Forbath actually had a leg and was able to kick off, this team wouldn't have to rely on Way to kick off.  If Forbath at least makes that FG, this team has a 4th quarter lead and who knows what might have happened after that.  Instead we got what we got.  A kicker has 2 jobs:  to kick FGs and kickoff and Forbath seemingly can't do either one.  That's pathetic on his part and on the coaching staff for keeping him around knowing that he sucks.  

Gano showed an outstanding gain in leg strength from year one to year two, and unfortunately because anyone with a film room could see the right side of the line couldn't block a 9 year old, he had six  kicks blocked which signed his ticket out of here.

We kept the problem instead.

~Bang

Alex Henery signed by Detroit.

Maybe take a look at Denver's kicker who is filling in for Prater.

Yes I really like McManus the fill in for Denver until Prater returns. Guy has a booming right league and he's made all of his kicks and PATs, but the best part all but two of his kickoffs has been touch backs. Im sure the thin air in Denver has a little to do with it, but the kid has a ridiculously strong leg.

Archived