Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014-2015 Washington Capitals Thread - Caps Trade for TJ OSHIE. Kuzy re-ups!

DC9

I like the moves made so far. Justin Williams is Mr. Game Seven. He has won more game sevens (7-0) than the Capitals have not only in the Ovechkin era, but in the entire franchise history (4-10). He's averaged two points per game seven. As a franchise that has loved game sevens during the Ovechkin era (only two playoff series have not gone to game seven since we got back into the playoffs in 2008; beat the Rangers in 5 one series and then got swept by the Lightning in the next series), that is just the kind of performer we need.

TJ Oshie was a trade that nobody saw coming. What we gave up for him? Brouwer, Copely, and a 3rd. Brouwer's had done just about as much as he was going to do for us and it wasn't enough, especially come playoff time. Copely seems to be a pretty good goaltending prospect that came out of nowhere after we signed him as an undrafted free agent, and with all of the goaltending prospects we have in the system, using him to make a deal is just playing with house money. And a 3rd round pick? I'll gladly give up a 3rd to upgrade the top-6 with a guy who's still got plenty of years left in him. I'll be interested to see just how Oshie fits in here and what kind of a role he plays.

We also picked up Chorney, which is sure to piss off some Pens fans, so that's a plus. He may get a decent amount of ice time considering Orlov hasn't played (professional) hockey in a long time.

Sad to see Wardo go; was hoping we'd find a way to bring him back as he's a guy who really steps his game up come playoff time and his ability to battle for the puck along the boards is wonderful. I'm also disappointed that the contract he signed wasn't bigger. He really came into his own later in his career and I hoped that if he wasn't sticking with us, he'd at least get a nice fat pay-day as it could very well be his last contract, or at least his last shot at a big contract).

Since everyone else is putting up their favorite lines, here's my attempt:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Oshie

Burakovski-Kuznetsov-Williams

Johannson-Beagle-Wilson

Chimera-Latta-Laich

I'd like to see another move or two to try and shore up our bottom-6, but I like where we're at right now. This could be an interesting season now that Trotz's system has been installed.

I'm a fan of the trade, as I've said we have seen the supporting cast fail it up for years come post season time so switching things up is a good thing in my mind. Whether it pays off or not is an unknown, but we know what we were going to get from Brouwer come May and we haven't gone past the 2nd round. Hopefully Oshie and Williams kick Mojo out of the top 6 as well.

Oshie seemed to disappear in the playoffs

I acknowledge that point, and it does concern me to an extent, but he has been more productive than Brouwer in the playoffs, so it's a net positive in playoff performance if he plays to status quo. He may also benefit from a change of scenery, however, being put on a line with guys like Ovechkin and Backstrom who can carry the puck into the zone and take the pressure off of him. Plus, we got Justin Williams to cover the playoff performance issue. One year removed from winning the Conn Smythe trophy and he took a pay cut to play with us.

The playoff issue is touchy, because Trotz had never won a Game 7 until last season. So there's a first time for everything. 

Trotz had a fresh start and did a decent job, time to see if another new guy can come on in and perform under expectations. 

Knowing DC and splashy offseasons followed by questionable results...I'm going to be a bit wary. Yes I am happy. But we are always happy during the offseason. And then the DC Sports Curse rolls around. If Oshie is the one to kill the curse once and for all he pretty much will be the de facto mayor of DC 

RT @JohnCarlson74 Happy birthday to the best country in the world!

I know it ain't the football team but don't act like this franchise doesn't have a long history of collapse in the playoffs. You know no one else has blown more 3-1 leads than us. We've done it like 5 times. 

The best thing I can say, is that this team looks quite solid on paper. But in the playoffs that's what matters the most. We do have strong pieces for a playoff run, but can we beat the Rangers? 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/07/01/why-the-caps-among-other-teams-should-look-at-alex-semin/

Semin had 6 goals last year. I don't know why you would want him on this team. Besides Oshie and Williams already fill the hole at RW. 

The playoff issue is touchy, because Trotz had never won a Game 7 until last season. So there's a first time for everything. 

Trotz had a fresh start and did a decent job, time to see if another new guy can come on in and perform under expectations. 

Knowing DC and splashy offseasons followed by questionable results...I'm going to be a bit wary. Yes I am happy. But we are always happy during the offseason. And then the DC Sports Curse rolls around. If Oshie is the one to kill the curse once and for all he pretty much will be the de facto mayor of DC 

RT @JohnCarlson74 Happy birthday to the best country in the world!

We HAVE to try.  Ovechkin is starting to get old.  Need to give him every opportunity at a cup.

I know it ain't the football team but don't act like this franchise doesn't have a long history of collapse in the playoffs. You know no one else has blown more 3-1 leads than us. We've done it like 5 times. 

The best thing I can say, is that this team looks quite solid on paper. But in the playoffs that's what matters the most. We do have strong pieces for a playoff run, but can we beat the Rangers? 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2015/07/01/why-the-caps-among-other-teams-should-look-at-alex-semin/

Semin had 6 goals last year. I don't know why you would want him on this team. Besides Oshie and Williams already fill the hole at RW. 

You use Oshie's numbers and won't admit that Ovi and Nicky can have a positive affect to improve them.

Yet then you say Semin (who regularly scored 20 plus here) as an example of someone not to bring in cause he only scored 6 last year?

Hmm....

If Semin is cheap, bring him in.  He's one of the most talented players in the world, he's just lazy.  And now that Brouwer is gone there won't be any awkwardness in the locker  room.

We HAVE to try. Ovechkin is starting to get old. Need to give him every opportunity at a cup.

You use Oshie's numbers and won't admit that Ovi and Nicky can have a positive affect to improve them.

Yet then you say Semin (who regularly scored 20 plus here) as an example of someone not to bring in cause he only scored 6 last year?

Hmm....

If Semin is cheap, bring him in. He's one of the most talented players in the world, he's just lazy. And now that Brouwer is gone there won't be any awkwardness in the locker room.

Semin is old.

This time of year no one wants to get excited cause they want to be the one's to say "I told you so" and it's hilarious.

There are what, 30 teams in the NHL?  And 1 wins the Cup... so yes, it's more likely than not (by a wide margin) that your team doesn't make the right moves to win the Cup.  Wah.

But jeez don't be so pessimistic to get excited.

Semin is old.

I don't even know if we can afford him, but if we can fit him in I'd take him back here in a second.  Worst case scenario is you cut him and call up Jakub Vrana...

I'll be DAMNED if Marcus Johansson is on the second line and Burakovsky isn't.

I'll be Damned if Laich is the 3C on this team. Wilson needs to be next to a better play maker so he can crash the net. Plus, it's Brooks Laich we are talking about.

I said there was no reason to bring in Semin unless the Caps traded Brouwer but since the Caps traded Brouwer for another RW, there is still no reason to bring in Semin. Wilson needs 3rd line minutes all season and the occasional shift in the top-6 if the Caps look to keep Williams fresh for the playoffs. 

So who takes Brouwer's spot on the power play? I'm thinking if the Caps lose MoJo, Oshie could take his spot while Williams and Wilson take Brouwer and Ward spots on the 1st and 2nd PP units.

1st PP

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Oshie, Williams, Carlson

2nd PP

Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Wilson, Niskanen, Schmidt? Orlov?

1st PK

Orpik, Carlson, Laich, ??

Alzner, Niskanen, Chimera, Backstrom

BTW, it would be nice to see the Caps come to terms with Holtby and Kuznetsov SOON.

Archived