Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who wants Olive Garden?

Slateman

Olive Garden unveils larger-than-life spaghetti pies

According to a spokeswoman for the chain, the Deep Dish spaghetti pies are “inspired by the Italian tradition of baking leftover pasta with cheeses and ingredients to ensure that leftovers or extra ingredients never went to waste.” Using up leftover supply will come as welcome news to Olive Garden shareholders at Starboard Value, the investment firm that famously declared in 2014 that Olive Garden’s never-ending breadstick policy “wasteful” and lead to declining revenue. 

The larger than life pie starts out with spaghetti, mixed with seven types of cheese (the chain would only confirm mozzarella, parmesan and romano) and bacon, loaded into a flaky pie crust and baked. Then the pie is cut into huge wedges and topped with either the chain’s signature Alfredo sauce and juicy chicken breast or a meat-marinara sauce with meatballs. The final portion is a block of pasta and cheese that rises a good three inches off the plate.

A few tasters liked the pie, but some were confused by the concept. 

"Doesn’t taste any different to me. What's different about it?" said one taster. 

If you don’t like Olive Garden, these pies aren’t for you. But if you’re big a fan of the chain, these pies basically combine the best of everything the restaurant has to offer, in a larger-than-life way.

And we do mean large. 

One serving of the meatball spaghetti pie clocks in at a whopping 1,590 calories with 104 grams of fat. 

Click on the link for the full article
  • Like 1

I actually drove by Olive Garden last night and saw some people getting out of a $100,000 mercedes and going in. I was like...srsly? You can't afford to go to an actual italian restaurant?

Can't get hospitaliano at real Eye-Talian joints

104 grams of fat? That's like eating a baby seal. How is that possible?

I never have any context to measure those sort of numbers, so ......

The amount of fat you need each day depends on your calorie needs. The Institute of Medicine recommends adults consume between 20 to 35 percent of their daily calories from fat. Fat provides 9 calories per gram. For example, you’d need 36 to 62 grams of fat when consuming a 1,600-calorie diet per day, 44 to 78 grams if eating a 2,000-calorie diet per day and 58 to 101 grams of fat when consuming 2,600 calories per day. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, adult men need between 2,000 to 3,000 calories daily, while women require 1,600 to 2,400 calories daily to maintain a healthy weight. Specific calorie needs are based on your size and activity level.

btw... i love me some baked pasta! (but i've never had it in an actual pie crust), and i think i eat about 6000 calories a day.... i ALWAYS eat way more than my wife plus 14, 13, 11 year old daughters combined     :-/

• Like 1

i completely made up the #### .... i just eat a LOT.   but about half as much as i did when i was in my teens and 20s

my metabolism USED to be really high naturally (i was a twig and couldn't gain weight no matter WHAT i did).  now i bike 12 hilly miles each way to and from work to try to fake a high metabolism ...

http://www.bicycling.com/training/weight-loss/cycling-calories-burned-calculator

Cycling Calories Burned Calculator   Estimate the number of calories you burned on your last ride:     Pace: Cycling < 10 mphCycling 10-12 mphCycling 12-14 mphCycling 14-16 mphCycling 16-20 mphCycling > 20 mph       Weight: PoundsKilograms       Time: HoursMinutes
You burned 1813 calories!

• Like 2

went there the other day, 3 bowls of soup,bread sticks,fried mozzarella and some pasta pie and a tall Shocktop

my pie came whole in a bowl though

oh and stole the tomatoes .olives and peppers from the wifes salad

shoulda had another shocktop

do ya'll really count calories?

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.brandeating.com/2016/06/olive-garden-debuts-new-chocolate-caramel-lasagna.html

Olive Garden introduces new Chocolate Caramel Lasagna as a sweet take on the classic Italian dish.

While there isn't any actual chocolate lasagna pasta involved, the new decadent dessert features layers of vanilla-soaked sponge cake, chocolate, caramel, and creamy custard topped with chocolate shavings for about $8.49 (may vary).

i completely made up the #### .... i just eat a LOT. but about half as much as i did when i was in my teens and 20s

my metabolism USED to be really high naturally (i was a twig and couldn't gain weight no matter WHAT i did). now i bike 12 hilly miles each way to and from work to try to fake a high metabolism ..

You sir are truly an inspiration for how I still wanna look when im an old ass man and my knees are creaking like a Victorian derelict.

http://www.brandeating.com/2016/06/olive-garden-debuts-new-chocolate-caramel-lasagna.html

Olive Garden introduces new Chocolate Caramel Lasagna as a sweet take on the classic Italian dish.

While there isn't any actual chocolate lasagna pasta involved, the new decadent dessert features layers of vanilla-soaked sponge cake, chocolate, caramel, and creamy custard topped with chocolate shavings for about $8.49 (may vary).

No.

• Like 1

I never have any context to measure those sort of numbers, so ......

btw... i love me some baked pasta! (but i've never had it in an actual pie crust), and i think i eat about 6000 calories a day.... i ALWAYS eat way more than my wife plus 14, 13, 11 year old daughters combined     :-/

I'll add context. I'm in very good shape, count calories, am eating at a deficit right now. My diet is 20% fat and that comes out to 52 grams. 1 serving of that dish is twice the amount of fat, and it's likely mostly bad fat, and the calories are 3/4th of my daily intake.

If more people planned and counted their calories it would force places like Olive Garden and others to put out better menus or go out of business. 

• Like 1

OK, so I drove up to Philly for a business trip, and I stopped in Aberdeen, MD for dinner on the way up.  I went to a place called the Olive Tree.  I **** you not it was just a knock-off of the Olive Garden down to the quality (or lack thereof) of the food.  I can't imagine why someone would use the Olive Garden as a model, but I guess Olive Garden must be doing something right if they are inspiring copycats.

• Like 1

If more people planned and counted their calories it would force places like Olive Garden and others to put out better menus or go out of business. 

Or the people who like Olive Garden (for whatever reason) would complain because dinner was served on a saucer.

OK, so I drove up to Philly for a business trip, and I stopped in Aberdeen, MD for dinner on the way up.  I went to a place called the Olive Tree.  I **** you not it was just a knock-off of the Olive Garden down to the quality (or lack thereof) of the food.  I can't imagine why someone would use the Olive Garden as a model, but I guess Olive Garden must be doing something right if they are inspiring copycats.

You went to a cheap italian restaurant.  If they don't have soup, salad, and breadsticks they aren't a knockoff.  All italian places offer the same ****.

You went to a cheap italian restaurant.  If they don't have soup, salad, and breadsticks they aren't a knockoff.  All italian places offer the same ****.

Of course they had soup, salad and breadsticks.  And if you think all Italian places offer the same **** then you've never been to a good Italian restaurant.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

My 14-Hour Search for the End of TGI Friday's Endless Appetizers

What if I told you that mozzarella sticks never had to end? That for $10, you could eat for free (for $10) for the rest of your natural life? That there exists a spot in the space-time continuum in which it is always Friday? That there are free refills on all Slushes™ excluding Red Bull® branded items?

Last Monday TGI Friday's unveiled a new promotion (available at many TGI Friday's locations, but none on the island of Manhattan) whereby customers can gorge themselves on unlimited appetizers—without fear of punishment, embarrassment, or ostracization—for a one-time payment of $10. The promotion is called "Endless Appetizers."

The day after "Endless Appetizers" was announced, I went to TGI Friday's in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Sheepshead Bay. I wanted to challenge the hubris of a company co-opting the infinite for a marketing gimmick. I wanted to demand accountability from copywriters.

I wanted to call their bluff and eat appetizers until they kicked me out, to seek the limit of this supposedly limitless publicity stunt.

I soon learned the limit does not exist.

11 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

zoony can not stand alone on this. 

OG is horrible. 

Best you can get there is breadsticks, salad and soup. 

All of which are already made. They have to heat up the soup and breadsticks though. 

Therefore, I am UBER proud that the (truly) Italian place where I work now has really homemade soups, our garlic knots are made all day by the pizza guys, (they're brothers, and they can spin every pizza dough to order....if it's 20 pizzas, they spin & stretch faster, it's a good show!)  You wouldn't believe our pizza.  I never thought I would say, "Hey, pizza for dinner" damn near 3 times a week.  We're that good.

But our garlic knots are the ****.  People get extra orders of a dozen or more to go when they've already eaten their fill. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, China said:

My 14-Hour Search for the End of TGI Friday's Endless Appetizers

<SNIP>

I wanted to call their bluff and eat appetizers until they kicked me out, to seek the limit of this supposedly limitless publicity stunt.

I soon learned the limit does not exist.

tumblr_lnsujbzlrS1qk82m8o1_1280.jpg

...will have to check this out during the NCAA tournament...where else can you watch a ton of hoops, drink a couple of beers, and gorge yourself the entire time for under $25?

On 6/30/2016 at 6:26 PM, China said:

LOL ate at an Olive Tree in Ocean City once.  Not bad if I recall ha