Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jay Gruden Knows Offense!

MustangSteve

If it wasn't for Morris the starting offense wouldn't have done anything. Plus they had great field postion. To early to say anything about Gruden. Look a lot like the same offense I saw last year.

When did we go deep 4 times a game last season? Most of our yards was coming in garbage time trying to catch up. This offense for the 1st time together looked much better then expected, and didn't have 1 of it's biggest weapons, D-Jax.

now were talking.

Alderaan.png

When did we go deep 4 times a game last season? Most of our yards was coming in garbage time trying to catch up. This offense for the 1st time together looked much better then expected, and didn't have 1 of it's biggest weapons, D-Jax.

We also didn't have Garcon - both of those guys are going to be a nightmare to account for this year.

Nobody is saying we are world beaters, but it's sure nice to see some good coaching for a change. Watching the play calling reminded me a lot of the 91 season, how we would start punching the defense in the mouth with the running game, then when the secondary started looking into backfield and sneaking up to help on the run, start dropping bombs, strait up air raid!!! 

There is no doubt we have a ways to go, but we sure didn't look anything like Mike Shanahans Redskins. I am very high on this team, I know they have a lot of work to do, but I also know the sky is the limit for this offense. When they do get this system, timing and playbook down, they are going to be very fun to watch and a huge head ache for opposing Defenses.

Lets see how they do against the Browns next week, Kyle Shanahan is going to try and embarrass us for sure, and most likely daddy Mike will be on hand watching. That should be an interesting match between Kyle and Haslett, don't let him embarrass ya Has!

If you really want people to take you seriously, you really need to tone it down a few notches.  How can you possibly evoke the memory of the '91 juggernaut after watching one preseason game?  And the first preseason game at that!  The most meaningless of four meaningless games!!! 

Sweet baby Jesus on fire!...I mean, somebody should slap you for that.  If I were close enough I would do it myself.  Is your wife or girlfriend there?  Can we talk to them?

Wow,... just wow, dude.  

Yeah your right.

I can't believe how dumb I've been. I forgot how much you can take out of one series of starters in a game. I mean give me a damn break.

Yeah your right.

I can't believe how dumb I've been. I forgot how much you can take out of one series of starters in a game. I mean give me a damn break.

Come on man, are you going to sit here and tell us how well coached we were last season? Give me a freaking break! Last I looked, A Jay Grudens offense got better every year, check out the Bengals offensive stats since his arrival. Last I looked here, well we got a new coach.

Come on man, are you going to sit here and tell us how well coached we were last season? Give me a freaking break! Last I looked, A Jay Grudens offense got better every year, check out the Bengals offensive stats since his arrival. Last I looked here, well we got a new coach.

We get a new coach on average what every 2 or 3 years. So excuse me if I'm not slurping the new coaching staff after one preseason game.

Im sure you thought Zorn was a great coach after one preseason game as well.

Point is I like Gruden and of course I hope he succeeds. With that being said I've been a Skins fan for 22 years or so and nothing has changed in those 22 years. The team gets hyped up because of a big signing, draft pick or new coach.

All that matters is wins and preseason wins don't matter. So I'll make judgement half way through the year. Not after one series or one preaseason game. Where both teams had starters out.

First preseast game or not, I believe Gruden's personality has successfully been instilled in the guys. This is no small feat for a coach. Now, is there a long ways to go, and many ups and downs this team will face? The answer is yes. So far so good with Gruden (I think we all can agree on that).

I see a very different team and the feel of the team is different too. This team had some good plays and the running game is very good and the OLine did look good also. At least they got push instead of always getting pushed back or run over. With Lichtensteiger playing C instead of Montgomery they are heavier and can sustain blocks better. The defense also looked different and they played a lot better than last year at this time. They actually looked prepared and didn't make boneheaded mistakes like they did last year. There is actually discipline on the team. They actually tackled a lot better than last year also. I am not saying they are unstoppable but they actually look like a good team. I am still not a big Jim Haslett fan but he looked like he had a plan on defense but it is only week 1 preseason. So the jury is still out.

I think we are jumping the gun just a bit.  I agree with others, this looked very similar to last year.  I know RG3 only had one series, DJax, Reed, and Garcon didn't play, but he looked very shaky in the pocket.  Looked for the dump offs, stared down WR's and waited for them to get open.  Way to early to start the "Our offense is amazing" threads in preseason.  This was no different than a Shanahan preseason game last year.  I will hold my judgement until we see a larger sample size of the 1st team offense.

So about personality, how does Tom Coughlin get the Giants to respond so well to him versus with us and M Shanahan?

he gets along with eli, mike resented the pedestal he put RG3,along with a crippling cap penalty that forced us to run with players brought in by the Zorn regime and keep guys who should have retired.

If we could have added talent to the roster instead of losing it, had Robert not gotten hurt, physically or mentally, maybe we would have won more and he would have gotten more respect.

Either way, I'm pissed I just typed all of that about the past. I hate talking about that. I hope we smash Kyle and Johnny Football and never hear another word again.

What I was most impressed with was the lack of turnovers and mental mistakes. As far as the first preseason game under the new coaching regime is concerned, it's a HUGE step in the right direction. Frankly, I believe Gruden's approach to a more physical training camp has contributed greatly to the physicality we saw in the game against the Pats. However, I think our defense will be tested when we play the Browns on MNF. I'm curious as to how we respond to a heavy dose of the read option run by a very quick Manziel.  HTTR!

I would be cautious about assuming anything. We used to own preseason under Spurrier, but that didn't do us any good.

That's partially because he pulled out the whole play book to beat the 49ers in Osaka. :)

Your point is 100% valid though. Preseason results don't really correlate to regular season.

That said it's always better to play well than play poorly.

What I was most impressed with was the lack of turnovers and mental mistakes

This right here! This very thing is the reason the Redskins lost so many close games they should have won. All the mental errors from the very ones who are in charge of time outs at the right time, hurry up offense at the right time, " this team would walk to the LOS when it was desperate that they hurry", 2 point conversions and extra points at the right time. Our coaching was a mess and it trickled down to the team on many occasions.

Good coaching would have turned the many close games we lost into victories. I got to see some of Kyles offense and the Browns last week, a carbon copy of ours last season and their Defense still looks pretty stout. Johnny Football looked pretty good out there at times, don't be fooled by the stats, he had some receivers open on a slant who were nothing short of surprised that a football flew past them. We all know a running QB always gives our Defense problems, and Kyle Shanahan is going to be out for revenge, it should be a good game.

Considered trying to start a new thread for this gem, posted just moments ago in Breaking News.  Nut decided that it could co here pretty well, since it's really about the "tone of the offense" (in fact, not just the offense), and not just about the running part of the O. 

ESPN: Redskins' run game must power mindset

RICHMOND, Va. -- The reason they kept offensive line coach Chris Foerster around and the reason they haven’t altered their run game stems from a simple truth: The Redskins want to run the ball a certain way this season.

One preseason game does not start a trend, but through training camp, it’s evident that Washington’s offensive identity must start with the run game.

They have the offensive weapons to be explosive and exciting in the pass game. But they also have a young quarterback in Robert Griffin III who is still learning the passing system -- not to mention everyone else is learning it as well.

But they don’t need to learn the run game. They need to use it to shape their mentality. They ran for 177 yards against the Patriots on 44 carries. Again: Preseason is not always a predictor. In this case, it needs to be.

The headline, and the first three paragraphs, talks about the running game.  But the article is more about a tone, for the whole team.  not just the running game, and not just the offense.

And it's an article that will really push your Redskin Fan Buttons, too.  :)

Skins are 12-4( might be 13-4 after the pats game) in the preseason the past few years so that game should be no indication to anyone about this upcoming season. We need to pump the brakes and just take it game by game. Cautious optimism is the key.

I definitely see us winning more than 3 games this season, but not sure how many more. Everyone will have to step up and come together, especially our young guys. If Griffin can return to even close to 2012 form, and the defense can actually make a few stops and hold a few teams under 28 points a game, we have a chance. Our division is weak but we haven't proven anything.

More than anything though, our season hinges on whether our defense and ST can get better and make plays. A good defense can take a lot of pressure off your offense, and give them extra chances. We desperately need our ST unit to improve as well.

It's unfair at this point in his career to ask Robert to carry this team. He's definitely a vital piece, but it's going to take a complete team effort.

All that remains to be seen though.

It was nice to see us go out and play a good game. However, as others have mentioned, it's pre season. I don't put any stock into these games at all. It seemed like the Pats were talking the scrimmages more seriously. In the game they sat a lot of their starters. Anyway, glad we played well.

Archived