Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do we play Tampa Bay every year?

BurgundyandGold44

Sometimes, IMO, the NFL seems to be trying to create new rivalries; thats the only conclusion I can come up with, and it could have a little truth to it.

There have been some good games against TB, especially the playoff game where TBs receiver had a TD called back after replay late in the 4th. That was a good hard hitting game to me.

I handled the Minny game just fine.  After years of practice, I could see that one coming from a mile away.  Quickly switched from beer to liquor and was pain free by the 4th quarter.

Now, the Chiefs game.  That's a different story.  I didn't have time to prepare.  I can still taste the turd in my mouth from that game.

I handled the Minny game just fine.  After years of practice, I could see that one coming from a mile away.  Quickly switched from beer to liquor and was pain free by the 4th quarter.

Now, the Chiefs game.  That's a different story.  I didn't have time to prepare.  I can still taste the turd in my mouth from that game.

I'm over both games.  That KC game was like the first half of the first Eagles game, everything bad that could happen did.  Two special team TDs and large returns by KC, INT returned to our 20, RGIII fumble returned for a TD.  Now I'm pissed again.......... :D

The formula for determining the schedule is straightforward now, but it used to be somewhat convoluted. I vaguely remembered that we played Tampa twice in one season in the 90's, which is really bizarre since you would normally only play divisional opponents twice. I did a quick search and found that we did indeed play them twice in 1994, but I didn't see much of an explanation as to why. Does anyone know?

Washington did play TB twice in one regular season. 

The reason for this is as follows 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/bl... 

Because how the divisions were set up until Jacksonville and Carolina joined the league in 1995 (six divisions, 4 of them containing 5 teams each), the schedule provided for the 5th place finishers to play their odd games (those not in their division, or against the division in their conference), against other 5th place finishers, 2 against their co-conference 5th place finisher, and 2 vs the two AFC 5th placers. The other 4 teams in the division played inter conference games for all 4 of these. 

So, when Washington and Tampa decided to finish in last place in 2003, they assured themselves 2 games against eachother. 

One NFC East team and one NFC Central team would ALWAYS play each other twice, and one AFC East and one AFC West team would always play each other twice from 1978-1994. 

If you check out 1993's schedule, you'll notice that Detroit and Phoenix had the NFC honor of playing eachother twice after briging up the rear of the NFC East and Central in 1992.

Interesting - thanks for the explanation pcumberl. Since this only applied to the 5th place teams, I guess it makes sense why it seemed strange to me at the time to see the Redskins play a non-divisional opponent twice. The Redskins had been consistent winners for years prior to 1993. I guess I never paid enough attention to other teams (especially bad ones) to realize that this was normal.

Archived