Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Not sure what to make of our chances. Getting to the sweet 16 will be an accomplishment to me.

Absolutely. They've struggled with less talented teams than SDSU, and Cal is a VERY talented young team that seems to be playing their best basketball now at the end of the season.

I will be pleasantly surprised should the Terps get a crack at the KU juggernaut.

Considering the expectations, I won't necessarily consider a Sweet 16 appearance to be a, "success."  But I will be happy with it.

Once again - I said it when it happened - Dion Wiley would've helped this team so much.  Really wish he never got injured.

This team has talent.  I'm not ruling out a run.

Once again - I said it when it happened - Dion Wiley would've helped this team so much. Really wish he never got injured.

Hard to say how much Wiley would have helped this team...unfortunately, we'll never know. I know Turgeon sang his praises preseason, but that's coachspeak.

What this team sorely needed was a second point guard, which they have in Brantley, yet he's toiled on the bench most of the year. Wiley would possibly have brought more hustle, and some perimeter defense with size, but he isn't a strong ball handler, and his outside shooting wasn't nearly as good as Nickens', though last year's Nickens has gone missing.

• Like 1

The loss of Wiley hurt because of how poorly Layman and Sulaimon played this year. They both had some horrendous games. Wiley plays both of those positions and would have been playing a lot more than expected. It's hard to say if it would have made a difference in the season overall, but he couldn't have been much worse than some of the games those two put up.

The loss of Wiley hurt because of how poorly Layman and Sulaimon played this year. They both had some horrendous games. Wiley plays both of those positions and would have been playing a lot more than expected. It's hard to say if it would have made a difference in the season overall, but he couldn't have been much worse than some of the games those two put up.

While Layman had horrendous games, his pt avg was consistent with his career while taking fewer shots.  In essence he was more efficient and set highs in both FG% and 3%.  People had high expectations of him.  Same goes for Sulaimon.  He met or exceeded all realistic expectations.  

Maryland's problem is simple.  They have no real 6th man who can handle the ball, play defense, and hit a shot once in a while. That would have been Wiley.  There isn't much point in blaming the 5 starters, who all had pretty good years.  

• Like 1

BREAKING: Huntington Prep (W.Va.) small forward Micah Thomas commits to #Terps: http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Basketball-Recruit-Micah-Thomas-Commits-to-Terps-44272276 

Jeff Ermann

Micah Thomas is a good grab for #Terps, who badly need help on the wing with Layman leaving. He's 6-7, very bouncy, crazy-long arms.

With the addition of Micah Thomas, Maryland now has 3 pledges in 2016. Joins Anthony Cowan & Kevin Huerter. Quality class for Mark Turgeon.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 2

Lady Terps got a #2 seed. Pretty good for a down/rebuilding year.

Got a bit of bum luck with being seeded in NDs bracket, meaning they undervalued MD or ND a couple of spots.   Baylor was clearly the worst of the 1 seeds. IMO.  Elite 8 is pretty much a lock.

While Layman had horrendous games, his pt avg was consistent with his career while taking fewer shots. In essence he was more efficient and set highs in both FG% and 3%. People had high expectations of him. Same goes for Sulaimon. He met or exceeded all realistic expectations.

Maryland's problem is simple. They have no real 6th man who can handle the ball, play defense, and hit a shot once in a while. That would have been Wiley. There isn't much point in blaming the 5 starters, who all had pretty good years.

Pretty much right on here, I believe, but Wiley just isn't a dependable ball handler. Brantley could have been that guy, and has actually showed well in recent games, but Turgeon has kept him buried on the bench.

All the starters played well this year...except Melo. That has been this team's #1 problem. FG% poor, asisst/TO ratio terrible. With Melo being in offensive control 80% of the time or more, his poor play has really hindered this team.

Also, think the NCAA jobbed the girls too. UConn and ND are clear top 2, Lady Terps shoulda been in Baylor or USC bracket. But, seems like someone in the NCAA enjoys screwing with the Terps.

Edited by Long n Left

Pretty much right on here, I believe, but Wiley just isn't a dependable ball handler. Brantley could have been that guy, and has actually showed well in recent games, but Turgeon has kept him buried on the bench.

The plan was for Wiley to start with Rasheed coming off the bench.

That would have given us the dependable ball handler we're missing.

• Like 1

Hard to say how much Wiley would have helped this team...unfortunately, we'll never know. I know Turgeon sang his praises preseason, but that's coachspeak.

What this team sorely needed was a second point guard, which they have in Brantley, yet he's toiled on the bench most of the year. Wiley would possibly have brought more hustle, and some perimeter defense with size, but he isn't a strong ball handler, and his outside shooting wasn't nearly as good as Nickens', though last year's Nickens has gone missing.

I pretty much echo what TimmySmith said.  I agree the team needs a second point guard, and Brantley never really got an opportunity because Turgeon wanted Trimble to shine, for good reason.  Wiley would've given the team a few things.  Another ball handler, another shooter/scorer, and another good defender.  A most of all, depth.  Gives Sulaimon and Trimble some more time to rest.  Also would've perhaps taken some pressure off of Nickens.

The plan was for Wiley to start with Rasheed coming off the bench.

That would have given us the dependable ball handler we're missing.

Again, coachspeak. Even had that transpired, I doubt that it would have remained ed that way for long. Wiley is a solid player, but his forte is defense...he's not a dependable ball handler, and he's just an okay shooter. He's better at slashing to the basket, with a chance to hit the odd 3.

It will be interesting to see how next year's team evolves. Turgeon is bringing in a point, and two wings. If Carter and Stone go NBA, that'll leave only Dodd, Cekovsky, and Bender as bigs. Wonder if Turgeon would try to play a more 90' game with that squad.

• Like 1

I'm hoping he brings in a couple of 5th year transfers or at least one. A ball handler or a Boom Osby type forward.

Anyways, MD season is still going on. I think Turg should just keep repeating "Get the ball inside" until Thursday at 430

I'm hoping he brings in a couple of 5th year transfers or at least one. A ball handler or a Boom Osby type forward.

Anyways, MD season is still going on. I think Turg should just keep repeating "Get the ball inside" until Thursday at 430

I wish he'd keep repeating, "pass and cut, pass and cut. Don't dribble unless you have to! And push the ball when you can!"

Again, coachspeak. Even had that transpired, I doubt that it would have remained ed that way for long. Wiley is a solid player, but his forte is defense...he's not a dependable ball handler, and he's just an okay shooter. He's better at slashing to the basket, with a chance to hit the odd 3.

It will be interesting to see how next year's team evolves. Turgeon is bringing in a point, and two wings. If Carter and Stone go NBA, that'll leave only Dodd, Cekovsky, and Bender as bigs. Wonder if Turgeon would try to play a more 90' game with that squad.In this 

In this case it wasn't coachspeak.

Wiley won the competition in the offseason and in fact, Rasheed asked Turge to come off the bench.

He thought he could help the team best in that role.

yeah there was no way in way that would happen. Suliamon would have taken that role by mid season. You guys act like Wiley is some god.  He wasn't a great ball handler last year but he was a great defender 

Certainly not god, never even insinuated he is a great player.  But he was a highly rated recruit who had an average freshman season, and it would've been nice to see how he progressed in his sophomore season.  And yes, his defense is excellent.

He certainly couldn't have hurt.  Once again, depth is a key asset to have.  Nickens and Brantley are our only backup guards.  We had Varun Ram playing at stretches for god's sake. 

• Like 1