Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Maryland Terrapins Thread

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't think the ball was clearly coming down. I wished it was but it wasn't.

That was certainly a foul at the end but they were scared to blow the whistle on a 3/4 court shot. The Spartans deserved to watch us shoot 3 shots for a victory for being so dumb as to make the last free throw and play d on a heave.

Ever thought that maybe just maybe they aren't as talented as the pundits claimed they are?

Even if you choose to take this stance, what's the excuse for no player or the entire team itself being any better than they were 3 months ago? Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

My thoughts in bullet form.

- Our offense is truly maddening to watch.  Dribble, dribble, dribble, then someone tries to penetrate and either takes a bad shot or turns it over.  No hard cuts.  We rarely fed the post.  Such bad offense.

- That last shot by Trimble was horrible.  Why take a contested shot with your left hand?  Kick it out to Layman for an open look.  That was a, "try to be the hero," play.  

- I am convinced Trimble is injured.  His speed is gone.  He used to break his defender, haven't seen that from him in like two months.  I wish he sat when he was injured, I called that in early January.  

- Too many contested shots.  Carter had a wide open three with about two minutes left, then decided to drive in and it was a shot clock violation.

Defense was actually fairly decent.  Need to box out though.  Other than that some missed free throws that could've helped...oh and no that was not a goaltend.

Really upset at that last shot by Trimble, can't get over that.  Offensive movement and sets suck.  Not expecting much in the tournament, a Sweet 16 appearance would be a miracle.

Edited by abdcskins

Ever thought that maybe just maybe they aren't as talented as the pundits claimed they are?

That is excuse making. This team was picked by most all pundits as a top 5 team. Some even said #1. They started the year #3.

Melo was considered one of the nation's best players. Sulaimon was a starter and key cog for a championship team. Carter was arguably Tech's best player. They added a top freshman and top juco transfer to a team that won the B1G. This year they tied for 3rd.

If that isn't the definition of underachieving, then I gotta get a new dictionary. This team has showed little of the heart, hustle, or determination that championship teams show.

But, I guess we can all be Kevin Bacon in "Animal House" and just throw arms in the air and yell, "All is well!"

Edited by Long n Left
  • Like 2

What makes more sense?

All the pundits/scouts were wrong about the talent level of this team...

Or...

Turg is what we thought he was, a great recruiter and a ho hum coach.

All the evidence points to the second option. As I stated above, name a player that appears to have improved from November to now.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

What makes more sense?

All the pundits/scouts were wrong about the talent level of this team...

Or...

Turg is what we thought he was, a great recruiter and a ho hum coach.

All the evidence points to the second option. As I stated above, name a player that appears to have improved from November to now.

Can't just put that on Turgeon.  It is up to the players to execute.  He can only motivate and coach so much.

And no, I am not excusing Turgeon, I think a lot of the lack of offensive schemes/sets lie on him.  But he isn't handling the ball.  The players are the ones who messed up.

Can't just put that on Turgeon. It is up to the players to execute. He can only motivate and coach so much.

And no, I am not excusing Turgeon, I think a lot of the lack of offensive schemes/sets lie on him. But he isn't handling the ball. The players are the ones who messed up.

Good coaches figure out ways to get the most out of their players with motivation and scheme. A better coach has this team playing better than this, they just do. Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Good coaches figure out ways to get the most out of their players with motivation and scheme. A better coach has this team playing better than this, they just do.

We have no idea what Turgeon is saying in the huddle. I watch every game and I see Turgeon yelling his head off.

Bottom line is that a coach can't magically get his players to, "play better." That's up to the players.

You simply can not have a 12 minute span pass with only one FG. Hell, if not for the low turnovers they would have probably been blown out. Poor shot selection, Melo playing hero ball on that last play where he should have dished it to the corner, wasting time on the shot clock, not scoring enough in the paint, etc.  

• Like 1

We have no idea what Turgeon is saying in the huddle. I watch every game and I see Turgeon yelling his head off.

Bottom line is that a coach can't magically get his players to, "play better." That's up to the players.

I'm very much a believer in the adage that a team will take on the character/personality of its coach.

This Maryland team with all its dribble at the top of the key for 15+ seconds while one big tries to get position, and the other 3 stand around, has shown no heart, and that, IMO, is squarely on Turgeon.

Their lack of rebounding despite almost always having a decided height advantage; their lackadaisical defending, worrying more about help defense than actually guarding your man (too many open looks due to sloughing off your man, or not fighting over screens). These are things accomplished through heart, hustle, and determination, things that should be instilled by a coach from day 1.

If you watched UVA last night, you saw those things. UVA has a couple neat players, but I'll argue that their roster is FAR down the list in individual talent, yet Bennett has them playing great basketball.

This, specifically, is why I'm so disappointed in this Terp team. The collective talent is as good as any team the Terps have had, I believe, rivaling the early 70's teams with McMillan, Elmore, and Lucas. The expectations were, and should have been, high for this team, yet they have disappointed at every turn this season, and to me it boils down to heart, or lack thereof. I take Turgeon to task for that.

• Like 1