Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Leonard Hankerson's Redskins future up in the air

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000363765/article/leonard-hankersons-redskins-future-up-in-the-air

In the aftermath of the 2011 NFL Draft, Leonard Hankerson claimed he was better than every wide receiver selected before him -- including A.J. Green and Julio Jones.

Now Hankerson's Washington Redskins future is up in the air.

Coming off reconstructive knee surgery, Hankerson had yet to receive medical clearance by the end of offseason practices in late June. He's a candidate to open training camp on the physically unable to perform list, per The Washington Post.

[...]Now that the Redskins have added DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts and impressive rookie Ryan Grant, Hankerson will be no higher than fourth or fifth on the depth chart if he recaptures pre-injury form. More likely, he will open the season on the PUP list while the organization tries to figure out his role in Jay Gruden's offense.

Hankerson will never come close to matching the careers of Green and Jones, two of the NFL's premier wideouts. At this point, it's fair to question whether he will ever start another game in the NFL.

I wonder if the Browns would consider trading Gordon for Hankerson (Hell, throw Robinson in there, too, if they think he's worth something). If he rehabs, awesome. If he doesn't, no great loss.

Although, since Kyle's there, they'd probably just laugh.

The Hankerson experiment is over. He now joins Michael Westbrook and Malcolm Kelly in the "POTENTIAL HALL OF FAME" but he still has an opportunity to steal a little bit more of the Redskins money before his bus arrives to take him home.

If he's on the pup, fine, but there is zero reason to keep him over Moss or AR, heck, even Hoffman at this point.

I'm not sure how you can say Hoffman deserves a spot over Hankerson at this point.  Moss and Robinson are debatable and I'm a big Robinson fan.  I think were it not for the injury he would be the #4 best WR.  The fact that he doesn't (didn't) play ST could still have had an effect on whether he was kept as the #4 or if they want a teams guy there.

With the injury taken into account I think his best bet is to get PUP'd.  Odds are by week 6 at least one of our WR's will be dinged up so he could have an opportunity to get healthy and contribute at that point.

Yeah well in other news Adam Carriker is getting closer to his try out to make the team again. I'd give Adam a much better chance to make the team over Hank.

Yeah, Adam has been down at the Andrews Institute for a few months now and rehabbing pretty hard. If he can get back to health and stay at that level, it could be a nice addition and security to have on the Defense.

A hard worker, good player and great guy, let's see what happens.

As for Hankerson, can't see sticking around unless on the PUP and maybe activated if we get some injuries to our core receivers.

If healthy I would rather have Leonard Hankerson over Aldrick Robinson if I was forced to choose. Sure Hankerson never became that #1 receiver we were looking for but he's showed he can be a solid contributor in this league more so than one trick pony robinson in my humble opinion. 

I'm not sure how you can say Hoffman deserves a spot over Hankerson at this point. Moss and Robinson are debatable and I'm a big Robinson fan. I think were it not for the injury he would be the #4 best WR. The fact that he doesn't (didn't) play ST could still have had an effect on whether he was kept as the #4 or if they want a teams guy there.

With the injury taken into account I think his best bet is to get PUP'd. Odds are by week 6 at least one of our WR's will be dinged up so he could have an opportunity to get healthy and contribute at that point.

because neither Hank, nor Cody will see the 53 this year and they've played almost the same amount of NFL snaps. We know Hank doesn't play ST, Hoffman might. This is only said half in jest.

I'd love to see Adam Carriker come back with a fitting contract. He was definitely the anchor on our line before injury.

I've got no issue with him starting on the PUP list. To me, it completely comes down as to whether or not Aldrick is on the roster.

If we have Garcon, Jackson, Roberts, Moss, Robinson, and Grant as our WR's (Hopefully hoffman on practice squad in this scenario), then come week 6 if Hankerson is healthy you look at the production Robinson has been giving you. If he's basically done nothing, with his one useful role being filled by Jackson already, then you dump Robinson and activate Hankerson in his place. If Aldrick has actually evolved beyond a deep threat and has shown he can contribute, then you release Hankerson.

If Aldrick isn't on the roster, and Grant and Hoffman both make the team, then that likely spells the end for Hankerson as I can't imagine cutting either of those young guys for him at that point if they were good enough to make the initial 53

because neither Hank, nor Cody will see the 53 this year and they've played almost the same amount of NFL snaps. We know Hank doesn't play ST, Hoffman might. This is only said half in jest.

I'd love to see Adam Carriker come back with a fitting contract. He was definitely the anchor on our line before injury.

I understand the use of hyperbole and in your own admission jest.  That being said Hankerson has put together a resume in his first three seasons (30 games and 14 starts) that Hoffman will likely never accomplish in his career.  That isn't to say I won't be thrilled if Hoffman exceeded everything Hank has accomplished because I would be.  The reality is that while Hankerson never became the "stud" or "steal" that he was hyped to be, he has been exactly what you want out of a third round pick aside from the injuries.  

These are the WR's drafted in the third round from 2012-2009. 2012-2009 is a fully arbitrary range so feel free to look further if you feel I picked this period to support my opinion:

Clear cut starter

High quality role player/spot starter

Role Player

Out of the league but had some level of production.  Possibly cut short due to injuries

Little to no career production

DeVier Posey (2012) 25 Games, 0 Starts, 21 catches, 242 yards, 

T.J. Graham (2012) 31 Games, 17 Starts, 54 catches, 683 yards, 3 TD's

Mohamed Sanu (2012) 25 Games, 17 Starts, 63 catches, 609 yards, 6 TD's

T.Y. Hilton (2012) 31 Games, 11 Starts, 132 catches, 1,944 yards, 12 TD's

Chris Givens (2012) 31 Games, 25 Starts, 76 catches, 1,267 yards, 3 TD's

Leonard Hankerson (2011) 28 Games, 14 Starts, 81 catches, 1,081 yards, 6 TD's

Jerel Jernigan (2011) 32 Games, 3 Starts, 32 catches 351 yards, 2 TD's

Vincent Brown (2011) 30 Games, 16 Starts, 60 catches, 801 yards, 3 TD's

Austin Pettis (2011) 42 Games, 11 Starts, 95 catches, 916 yards, 8 TD's

Taylor Price (2010) 6 Games, 0 Starts, 5 catches, 80 yards, 0 TD's, hasn't played since 2011

Armanti Edwards (2010) 41 Games, 0 Starts, 6 catches, 121 yards, 0 TD's. 

Andre Roberts (2010) 62 Games, 35 Starts, 182 catches, 2123 yards, 11 TD's

Eric Decker (2010) 62 Games, 44 Starts, 222 catches, 3,070 yards, 33 TD's

Jordan Shipley (2010) 24 Games, 6 Starts, 79 catches, 858 yards, 5 TD's. hasn't played since 2012

Emannuel Sanders (2010) 56 Games, 18 Starts, 161 catches, 2,030 yards, 11 TD's

Brandon LaFell (2010) 60 Games, 36 Starts, 167 catches, 2,385 yards, 13 TD's

Damian Williams (2010) 54 Games, 17 Starts, 106 catches, 1,313 yards, 5 TD's

Deon Butler (2010) 35 Games, 8 Starts, 57 catches, 611 yards, 4 TD's, hasn't played since 2012

Patrick Turner (2009) 21 Games, 1 Start, 10 catches, 122 yards, 1 TD. hasn't played since 2012

Ramses Barden (2009) 29 Games, 1 Start, 29 catches, 394 yards, 0 TD's. hasn't played since 2012

Mike Wallace (2009) 79 Games, 66 Starts, 308 catches, 4,972 yards, 37 TD's

Brandon Tate (2009) 66 Games, 14 Starts, 38 catches, 649 yards, 4 TD's

Derrick Williams (2009) 18 Games, 1 Start, 9 catches, 82 yards, 0 TD's. hasn't played since 2010

Now obviously I did not list any ST play (returns, tackles, etc.).  That obviously plays a role in a player's value but was not taken into account for this particular exercise. Obviously some guys like Brandon Tate would be rated higher if we took returns into account.

I still agree that Hankerson faces an uphill battle to make this team.  WR is now a loaded position with three big contract guys ahead of of him which puts even more emphasis on ST ability for those #4/5/possibly 6 guys to contribute.  My prediction is PUP or he doesn't make the team.  That being said I think that if fans would simply look at production and ability vs. cost ($645,000) he is a logical player to keep if healthy.

Edit- Yellow now blue to preserve Rufus T Firefly's eyesight.  

Tried telling Hankersonfan.smh Hank is gone. The WR corp is too stacked for him to be on. You have Garcon, Jackson, Roberts, Moss, Hoffman (if he pans out) Robinson and the rookie Grant (who looks promising)

So far in this thread I've seen Hankerson compared to Anthony Mix (3 career receptions for 39 yards), and multiple fans praise Hoffman.  What exactly does Hoffman bring to the table that Hankerson does not?  It seems to me their best attribute is their size.

So far in this thread I've seen Hankerson compared to Anthony Mix (3 career receptions for 39 yards), and multiple fans praise Hoffman. What exactly does Hoffman bring to the table that Hankerson does not? It seems to me their best attribute is their size.

Hoffman hasn't been a perpetual, professional let down yet, hence more upside.

These are the WR's drafted in the third round from 2012-2009. 2012-2009 is a fully arbitrary range so feel free to look further if you feel I picked this period to support my opinion:

Clear cut starter

High quality role player/spot starter

Role Player

Out of the league but had some level of production.  Possibly cut short due to injuries

Little to no career production

That yellow may have literally done permanent damage to my ocular nerves.

Archived