Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Leonard Hankerson's Redskins future up in the air

Hank has potential he just needs to stay healthy. Which early in his career was his biggest issue. We heard it was drops, but whatever.

If I am Gruden i stash him on PUP and plan on 2015. 

Sure he alligator armed in the Seattle game, yep he is in self preservation mode a little more than others. Across the middle is the wrong play call for Hank and I figured more than I know that. Normally Kyle knew this but Garcon got injured and it was the playoffs after all. Same with Robinson - don't slant him at Mike. You work Hank on the sidelines and deep. He has great moves and expect him to be in the mix again one day. 

I just want him to get bigger, maybe see a new trainer, gain more confidence.  He was raw as a big kid with drop issues coming in, but he exceeded probably everyone's expectations getting rid of the drops, and for being a very good route runner. 

From all indications, a good person and hard worker. 

Insert any white NFL player

That's distasteful IMO, Phillip Daniels, London Fletcher, Mike Sellers are all those qualities. 

and not white, smfh

He then replied......You had to name 3 Snyder era "legends" yet every Joe Schmo white player has been labeled a hard working good guy. 

I see no reason to bring color into this discussion. Hankerson was noted as a hard worker. 

The original comment is about Adam Carriker. It's really not a big deal. Guys just like to cheer for their own. It can be your favorite team, player from your hometown, or even skin color.

seriously, how did this turn into a discussion about race? This doesn't really have a place here

So you can understand the origin of the topics entrance and what was said, thus he got   Steve Buscemi'd. 

Lol yeah potential can be a bit grating on ones ears

I am fine with potential when the player showing improvement suffers injuries, yet there was no injury concerns when the player was drafted.  Injuries aside, I felt he had developed fairly well for a WR, a notorious tough position to develop.

lol, I love Steve Buscemi.  He's only better as a verb.

Someone phone Mike Sellers and let him know he's now a "LEGEND".  He might **** himself.

:lol:

He's all verb, you have seen Boardwalk empire right? 

And who needed NFL.com to know Hank was on the bubble this year? 

I just watch the RG 2013 highlights and Hank was in on a lot of the Highlights. It's sad you know..To think he was coming in to his own and got hit by a late hit that injured him for the season. How will Hank pan out? For the best I hope while he's still on the team. Unlike the rest, I am not a typical fickle Skins fan. He is still on our team and I wish him the best. Not going to label him a bust or anything until he proves that this season. Hell, if he has a break out year ( I doubt that will happen) everyone will call him the next Andre Johnson. I wish the young man the best. It really sucks that we lost him to injury like that. He was starting to find his groove with the team and now he is more likely to get released. I wish and hope for the best for Hank85. Not giving up on the youngin until the fat lady sings. Right now shes warming up her vocals, but she hasn't sang a note yet #HTTR

I guess I'm not seeing the 'no reason not to put him on the pup' argument.  Full disclosure - I've never been much of a Hankerson fan.

Here's why I don't think it makes sense:

1) assuming he starts the season on the pup, the earliest he can practice with the team is after the week 6 game.

2) he's never practiced with the team in Gruden's offense, so he'll probably need the full three weeks of practice time before he can play.  That means the earliest that he'd be on the field is game 9.

3) During this time, his salary counts against the cap.  As noted, its not a lot, but 625K isn't nothing either.

4) When he is ready to play, someone will need to be taken off the roster.  Most likely, it will need to be another WR.  And, most likely, the bottom WRs, whoever they are, will be ST players.  And they'll be WRs that have been practicing Gruden's offense for 16 weeks instead of 3.

5)  Hankerson is a FA after this year.  Obviously, he's not going to be a top tier FA, but the vet minimum for 2015 is $745K, and he would probably insist on some sort of bonus.  That's a lot for someone who averages in the mid-30 yards/game when he starts, and doesn't play ST.  I just don't see the value in re-signing a #4 or #5 WR with that level of production.

If he's not ready to practice at the end of training camp, its not as if another team is going to pick him up if the Redskins cut him.  No one is looking for an injured (and injury prone), largely unproductive, WR in his fourth year.  The only differences between cutting him and putting him on the pup is (1) they don't need to pay him while he's not playing and (2) they could bring him back at any time - they don't need to wait for week 6.  And they could probably negotiate a decent two or three year contract at that time if they think they might want to keep him. 

Is it? I hadn't noticed. :)

Uh, yeah.  How's that RB development gone for you guys?  lol

Of course Packers fans think Pro Bowl QBs and WRs grow on trees, but RBs, that's an entirely different breed.  Quite a mystery up there in the frozen tundra.

For all of you who don't know what we're talking about:

Former Packers' QBs of the last 20 years:

- Brett Favre (11 pro-bowls, 3 all-pro 1st teams and 3 2nd teams, 3 NFL MVPs)

- Matt Hasselbeck (3 pro-bowls)

- Mark Brunell (3 pro-bowls)

- Kurt Warner (4 pro-bowls, 3 all-pro 1st teams, 3 NFL MVPs)

- Aaron Rodgers (3 pro-bowls, 1 all-pro 1st team and 1 2nd team, 1 NFL MVP)

Am I forgetting anyone?

Then look at WR for them, it's just as ridiculous:

- James Lofton (started in GB, 8 pro-bowls (7 as a Packer), 1 all-pro 1st team and 3 2nd team)

- Sterling Sharpe (5 pro-bowls, 5 1st team all-pros)

- Antonio Freeman (1 pro-bowl, 1 all-pro)

- Donald Driver (4 pro-bowls)

- Greg Jennings (2 pro-bowls)

- Jordy Nelson (none YET)

Then there are guys who could have started for us in nearly any given year (Robert Brooks, Randall Cobb, )

Honestly, you can never talk to a Packers fan about how hard it is to find great WRs or QBs, but RBs, that's a language they understand.

Best Packers RBs of the last 20 years:

- Edgar Bennett (no awards, less than 4,000 yards in his career)

- Dorsey Levens (1 pro-bowl, 1 all-pro, less than 5,000 yards in his career)

- Ahman Green (4 pro-bowls, 1 all-pro 2nd team, 9,205 yards)

- Ryan Grant (no awards, just over 4,000 yards in his career)

- Eddie Lacy (had an amazing rookie season, looks like he may be the best back they've had since Ahman Green, maybe since the early days of the NFL)

Our QB and WR lists look like their RB list, and our RB list looks a lot more comparable (though most weren't home grown, like in GB):

- Terry Allen (1 pro-bowl, 8,600 yards)

- Stephen Davis (3 pro-bowls, 1 all-pro, over 8,000 yards)

- Clinton Portis (2 pro-bowls, 1 2nd team all-pro, 9,900 yards)

- Alfred Morris (1 pro-bowl, 1 2nd team all-pro, 2,800 in 2 years)

I hoped Hankerson would be one of our diamonds in the rough, like GB finds all the time.  If he hadn't had two huge injuries during seasons right at the point he seemed to be "getting it" things may have turned out differently.  

I guess I'm not seeing the 'no reason not to put him on the pup' argument.  Full disclosure - I've never been much of a Hankerson fan.

Here's why I don't think it makes sense:

1) assuming he starts the season on the pup, the earliest he can practice with the team is after the week 6 game.

2) he's never practiced with the team in Gruden's offense, so he'll probably need the full three weeks of practice time before he can play.  That means the earliest that he'd be on the field is game 9.

3) During this time, his salary counts against the cap.  As noted, its not a lot, but 625K isn't nothing either.

4) When he is ready to play, someone will need to be taken off the roster.  Most likely, it will need to be another WR.  And, most likely, the bottom WRs, whoever they are, will be ST players.  And they'll be WRs that have been practicing Gruden's offense for 16 weeks instead of 3.

5)  Hankerson is a FA after this year.  Obviously, he's not going to be a top tier FA, but the vet minimum for 2015 is $745K, and he would probably insist on some sort of bonus.  That's a lot for someone who averages in the mid-30 yards/game when he starts, and doesn't play ST.  I just don't see the value in re-signing a #4 or #5 WR with that level of production.

If he's not ready to practice at the end of training camp, its not as if another team is going to pick him up if the Redskins cut him.  No one is looking for an injured (and injury prone), largely unproductive, WR in his fourth year.  The only differences between cutting him and putting him on the pup is (1) they don't need to pay him while he's not playing and (2) they could bring him back at any time - they don't need to wait for week 6.  And they could probably negotiate a decent two or three year contract at that time if they think they might want to keep him. 

The PUP list you are referring to is the regular season PUP list.  Most has been referring to the preseason PUP list.  Hankerson's injury is a 7-9 month recovery so he should be cleared before training camp is over and is almost certain to be able to perform in preseason unless there is a setback *shanahan voice*.  [see instagram :  hanktime85] looks to be on pace.

You can put him on the PUP list ultimately at the start of training camp and take him off before the season starts so he can get some preseason games in. 

Yeah you also can cut him and sign a rookie or undrafted free agent but you would only be saving around 400-500k for a team not hurting for cap space and under the cap.  Now I do agree with you about 2015, but you might as well see what goes on this year with the current roster of receivers. 

Best case scenario for the fans that want him out to me is to get a 6th-7th for him sometime during the season if he's not in the teams long-term plans but you dont' cut him unless he's not better than 5 other receivers on your team.  Cleveland would be your best bet for trade.

Hankerson seems to have a good attitude, works hard, and has talent.  If he could get away with taking some PEDs to increase his speed and concentration, he'd be a pro bowler.  j/k 

Seriously, I think his physical attributes and attitude make him too hard to cut without a fair shot.

The fact is we are in no need to cut him, he can be put on PUP list like many predicted and see how the new guys on the roster plays out. I see no down side here, it is not like we are counting on him to start. Hell I like Nick Williams, hopes he goes all Special Forces and sticks. Another no down side guy. And Moss loved the guy last year, loved his smarts and work ethic. Seriously when you are 3-13, may the best man win. 

1. Nick Williams is an American football wide receiver for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League. He played college football at the University of Connecticut. He joined the team as an undrafted free agent during the 2013 offseason. 
  3. BornNovember 23, 1990 (age 23), Hightstown, NJ
  4. Height5' 10" (1.78 m)
  5. Weight183 lbs (83 kg)
  6. Salary405,000 USD (2013)

The PUP list you are referring to is the regular season PUP list.  Most has been referring to the preseason PUP list.  Hankerson's injury is a 7-9 month recovery so he should be cleared before training camp is over and is almost certain to be able to perform in preseason unless there is a setback *shanahan voice*.  [see instagram :  hanktime85] looks to be on pace.

You can put him on the PUP list ultimately at the start of training camp and take him off before the season starts so he can get some preseason games in. 

Yeah you also can cut him and sign a rookie or undrafted free agent but you would only be saving around 400-500k for a team not hurting for cap space and under the cap.  Now I do agree with you about 2015, but you might as well see what goes on this year with the current roster of receivers. 

Best case scenario for the fans that want him out to me is to get a 6th-7th for him sometime during the season if he's not in the teams long-term plans but you dont' cut him unless he's not better than 5 other receivers on your team.  Cleveland would be your best bet for trade.

You are correct, which is why I started my argument with "assuming he starts the season on the pup list".  This assumption is based on the article in the OP ("More likely, he will open the season on the PUP list while the organization tries to figure out his role in Jay Gruden's offense").  I'm just assuming they made that statement on more than mere speculation, but who knows.

Several of my arguments would fall apart were he to be healthy even for a week of training camp - most importantly my supposition that he would not be picked up if cut.

I can't imagine an in-season trade for a 4th year receiver if he's not getting any snap counts.  If someone is desperate, there are always a few serviceable WRs that can be snatched from the practice squads or their couches (like Brandon Lloyd, Anthony Armstrong, or Laurent Robinson - although probably not getting off their couches to go to Cleveland).  If he is getting snap counts, that probably means the Skins aren't in a position to let go.

And the cap space is gone.  The Skins have only $1.7M left (per http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/2014/), other cap tracking sites have them a little over $2M, which leaves them at position 28 out of 32 teams.  Giants have $6+, Cowboys have $8.5+, and Eagles have $18+.

Uh, yeah.  How's that RB development gone for you guys?  lol

*wall of data and analysis*

We did have a few years of trouble when Ryan Grant was knocked out on the first carry of the season a few years back. Brandon Jackson wasn't who he was drafted to be, Alex Green wasn't great to start and then had a knee injury pretty much taking him out of contention. James Starks had looked like the answer his rookie season when he was activated from PUP late in the season, and we would not have gotten past the Eagles on our way to the Super Bowl without him running it down their throats, but he proved to be injury prone and was rather disappointing following his rookie season. And I almost forgot about Cedric Benson who played a couple games for us and looked like he'd solve the RB situation until he suffered a foot injury early in the season.

Thankfully we seem to be set at RB now. Eddie Lacy is legit and carried our team when we were without Rodgers, and Starks is thriving now that he isn't being relied upon as the workhorse. It's unfortunate losing Johnathan Franklin who'd shown some promise in his only chance to start before having his career ended returning a kick, but then we also have DuJuan Harris returning to the lineup after missing all of last season. I liked what I saw of him when we picked him up at the tail end of the previous season (he impressed me on his very first carry when I did not know who he was as he darted through a hole with such authority and had surprising pop at first-contact as he seemed like a smaller change-of-pace guy), and he'll be returning minus one fist-sized cyst in his lungs that apparently he'd had (unbeknownst to him) all his life, so we could see a bit of extra pop coming from him.

Our proven WR cupboard is starting to run a little dry this season, though, with Driver, Jennings, and Jones having left us in recent seasons, but Boykin stepped up when called upon last season, and we've got a lot of guys to compete behind them with picks in the 2nd (TT's bread and butter spot for WRs), 5th, and 7th rounds, as well as a couple holdovers from last season who could be hiding some talent like Boykin had.

Our proven WR cupboard is starting to run a little dry this season, though, with Driver, Jennings, and Jones having left us in recent seasons, but Boykin stepped up when called upon last season, and we've got a lot of guys to compete behind them with picks in the 2nd (TT's bread and butter spot for WRs), 5th, and 7th rounds, as well as a couple holdovers from last season who could be hiding some talent like Boykin had.

I agree, Lacy is the real deal.  I thought fears about his foot surgery were overblown.  If we were talking about a basketball player who's playing a game everyday or if we're talking about someone who's going to have a 15 year career thats one thing, but we're talking about a RB and they have short average careers.  If he can make it to 29 he's done great compared to a lot of starting backs in the league, so I don't think that will be a problem.

As for your WR cupboard running dry, you guys have one of the best GMs in sports right now.  He's pretty terrible with 1st round picks, but Ted Thompson finds guys in every other round of the draft and UDFAs that play like superstars, even if only for a season.  That guy is amazing.  I have no doubt that with a combo of Rodgers throwing the passes, Lacy as a HUGE rushing threat, and Nelson and Cobb taking most of the pressure, you guys will have 2 or 3 guys who can step right in an do what you need.  Besides, in years past, Jones dropped too many passes, though I don't recall how he was the last year or two.

I agree, Lacy is the real deal.  I thought fears about his foot surgery were overblown.  If we were talking about a basketball player who's playing a game everyday or if we're talking about someone who's going to have a 15 year career thats one thing, but we're talking about a RB and they have short average careers.  If he can make it to 29 he's done great compared to a lot of starting backs in the league, so I don't think that will be a problem.

I think the deal with his foot is more that the type of fusion actually isn't as big a deal as people made it out to be, and I think TT was comfortable with him because despite his injuries, he didn't miss games.

As for your WR cupboard running dry, you guys have one of the best GMs in sports right now.  He's pretty terrible with 1st round picks, but Ted Thompson finds guys in every other round of the draft and UDFAs that play like superstars, even if only for a season.  That guy is amazing.  I have no doubt that with a combo of Rodgers throwing the passes, Lacy as a HUGE rushing threat, and Nelson and Cobb taking most of the pressure, you guys will have 2 or 3 guys who can step right in an do what you need.  Besides, in years past, Jones dropped too many passes, though I don't recall how he was the last year or two.

I don't think TT is as bad in the first round as it seems. I'll give you Justin Harrell because despite his talent, his injury history was known and he ended every season on IR before we gave up on him. But you look at him getting Rodgers, Raji (he was much better earlier than lately; might be because we moved him from NT to DE, but he's going back to NT this season), Matthews, and Bulaga (some injury troubles lately, but got us a Lombardi). Derrek Sherrod suffered a freak injury that could not be anticipated when he shattered both his fibula and tibia his rookie season that kept him out for years, so you can't really blame the GM for that one. Jury's still out on Nick Perry and Datone Jones, but I expect Jones will have a good season as he looked really good in training camp last year before suffering an ankle injury. Perry probably won't be anything special, but if he can stay healthy, he can be a starter.

As for James Jones and his drops, it seems it was a problem of focus for him. After he started talking to himself on the field (seriously), he became one of the most sure-handed receivers in the game. The last two seasons he just did not drop the ball. 3.2% drop rate last season, and 2.0% drop rate the season before. http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2012/

As for having guys who can step in, we've already seen Boykin can step in; he came in and performed when both Jones and Cobb were injured, so I think he'll be just fine as a 3WR with Nelson and Cobb, and Devante Adams is a TT 2nd round pick, and those work out at WR (Jennings, Nelson, Cobb). The main question marks for our offense this season are going to be Center (4th round LT conversion from last season; spent the season on PUP with a broken ankle so he still has no C experience), LT (Bakhtiari played well last year... for a rookie; now he needs to step up and play well for an LT), and TE.

I don't think we'll clear Finley to return (I hope he just retires; he's got a nice $10 mil tax-free insurance policy), so we've got our veteran Quarless, but he still needs to return to form from his huge knee injury a couple seasons ago, we've got Brandon Bostick, a former UDFA who's shown potential as an athletic receiving TE, but just as his number was called upon, he suffered a foot injury. We've got Ryan Taylor who probably isn't much more than a special teams guy, and then we've got 3rd round pick Richard Rodgers who the pundits called a huge reach (but apparently he turned quite a few heads in OTAs) and UDFA head-case Colt Lyerla who's just getting back into football.

Man, I'm writing a lot more about the Packers in this thread than I ever intended. Was just supposed to be a quick "na-na boo-boo" and y'all telling me to go suck a lemon. :)

I think the deal with his foot is more that the type of fusion actually isn't as big a deal as people made it out to be, and I think TT was comfortable with him because despite his injuries, he didn't miss games.

I don't think TT is as bad in the first round as it seems....

I'm not saying Thompson makes terrible picks on the 1st round (except Justin Harrell who was definitely a "WTF did they just do?!"), I'm saying he's got horrible luck with 1st rounders.  They're supposed to be the core of your team and you guys are less than 50% specifically BECAUSE of injuries.  Again, not really his fault, just an observation that you guys find more UDFAs and drafted guys who perform than anyone in the league, except in the 1st round.

Anyway, I envy his work.  I wish we could take a guy who's expected to do absolutely nothing in the league and plug him in at LT and he play like a pro-bowler his rookie season.

Yeah, I accidentally hijacked the thread, my bad.  Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Go Hankerson!

I'm sorry but are we debating again whether an injured played should be kept around because of his amazing potential? The Skins are always looking for POTENTIAL instead of MAKE IT HAPPEN type of players. Hankerson even when healthy has not been dominant. He could be a good ball player and catch 60 balls but that is if he is every healthy, and 60 catch guys are everywhere. In fact, we already have one in Roberts and HE is healthy.

The big 3 Garcon, Jackson, and Roberts. Moss is a backup. that leaves about ONE single opening. Hankerson who is a free agent next year and cannot get healthy until 2-3 months from now? Or one of the younger guys who can actually develop and have a low cap hit next year. Goodbye Hank. Go home and get healthy.

His WR status is dwindling, but I have a question, simply out of not knowing the possibilities.

Would it be possible to put him on a beer and donut diet, beef him up, and convert him to a TE ? 

He would have good speed for a TE, wouldn't have to be as shifty on route running, but I do not know if it would be a problem for him bulking up and being able to accomplish this, and not sure about his blocking skills.

His WR status is dwindling, but I have a question, simply out of not knowing the possibilities.

Would it be possible to put him on a beer and donut diet, beef him up, and convert him to a TE ? 

He would have good speed for a TE, wouldn't have to be as shifty on route running, but I do not know if it would be a problem for him bulking up and being able to accomplish this, and not sure about his blocking skills.

Despite what some fans will say Hank is actually a pretty good downfield blocker.  As far as him lining up inline and blocking DE's/LB's?  Not an ideal situation.  Niles made the transition but he is a much more physical player regardless of body type.

I think you leave him at WR and see if he can get healthy.  Hopefully when that happens he is open to playing some kick/punt coverage on teams.  Since we have our top 3 settled it would be difficult for him to make the team without play ST.  If he gets released here there will be plenty of teams he could be a 3/4 for without needing to play teams.

Hankerson could have been a starting receiver, back when Zorn was coaching and we suffered with Thomas and Kelly lol. As of todays team, it's great to know we finally have some legit receivers on this team. If we keep Hank, that's fine, if we send him down the road, that's fine too.

Hank has potential he just needs to stay healthy. Which early in his career was his biggest issue. We heard it was drops, but whatever.

If I am Gruden i stash him on PUP and plan on 2015. 

Sure he alligator armed in the Seattle game, yep he is in self preservation mode a little more than others. Across the middle is the wrong play call for Hank and I figured more than I know that. Normally Kyle knew this but Garcon got injured and it was the playoffs after all. Same with Robinson - don't slant him at Mike. You work Hank on the sidelines and deep. He has great moves and expect him to be in the mix again one day. 

I just want him to get bigger, maybe see a new trainer, gain more confidence.  He was raw as a big kid with drop issues coming in, but he exceeded probably everyone's expectations getting rid of the drops, and for being a very good route runner. 

From all indications, a good person and hard worker. 

Hankerson's a FA after the season.  Don't see the point in stashing him on anything.  Going on the PUP list isn't a good thing for him since you can't practice and he needs to learn a new offense. 

Archived