Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Race conversation on Mike and Mike (with Chris Carter) over Mark Cuban comments

codeorama

Not surprised at all. People just don't like to look beyond the surface anymore. It's a headline world. They take what they can see and run with it. 

He was right though on many points.  How long are people going to embrace and try to play the role of victim?  There's a difference between going about your business and becoming a victim and actually trying to look for reasons to become a victim.

What youngchew said for example, was incredibly telling and I appreciate his honesty about being followed around by store attendants at least 50 times.  I doubt at any point he was attempting to be victimized so he could get his. 

I'm stealing that one lol

But honestsly, that is one reason I won't get my windows titnted. I have enjoyed not getting pulled over. 

Even though when I had my Grand Marquis, I got pulled over a ton, and my windows weren't even spooky. 

I think it has more to do with the car than the type of tint. I had illegal tint on my 2004 NIssan Maxima for nine years, never got pulled over and ordered to remove it. Yet a friend of mine had an Interceptor with the same percent tint, had to watch as a cop scraped it off his windows right in front of him. 

Want to echo the sentiments earlier in this thread. Well done on the discussion folks! Sometimes this forum drives me nuts, but open conversation about something like this is nice to see. And to get differing viewpoints in a calm, collected, educated manner is awesome.

I think it has more to do with the car than the type of tint. I had illegal tint on my 2004 NIssan Maxima for nine years, never got pulled over and ordered to remove it. Yet a friend of mine had an Interceptor with the same percent then, and he had to watch as a cop scraped it off his windows right in front of him. 

It's a combination of both. Like I said, had my Crown Vic since June. Haven't gotten pulled over once. Like, not even close to being pulled over. But I know as soon as I got my windows spooked (look Chewy, I am evolving the slang already lol), I know I am going to get my fair share of "attention". It doesn't help that I live across the street, literally, from the Police Station. 

He was right though on many points.  How long are people going to embrace and try to play the role of victim?  There's a difference between going about your business and becoming a victim and actually trying to look for reasons to become a victim.

Truth. To an extent. I mean, there are some people who are just naturally loud that draws attention to themselves. Which could lead to them becoming a victim just by going about their business. But there are some who draw attention purposefully. I see it every Friday Night whenever I am in a 7-11. Bammas can't just go in the store, get there stuff and leave. They gotta walk around screaming the latest hot rap song, letting everybody know that their "cool". lol

Bammas can't just go in the store, get there stuff and leave. They gotta walk around screaming the latest hot rap song, letting everybody know that their "cool". lol

Truth.  some people are just wired that way.  Whether its for attention, or they're just loud and obnoxious in general.  Like when you're in a crowded public place and there's some ignorant 20-something reciting rap lyrics really loud with all the curse words and/or dropping random N-word bombs.  It's embarrassing LOL.

What Cuban was describing, poorly some may say, is his fears.  I'm no big fan of Cuban  but I don't believe he is racist.

And his fear is black men in hoodies.

I'm not going to kill Cuban over this, because I do think his heart in his the right place. The problem is this: White people in America are horrible at talking about race. Anyone who starts down this path in a public forum is inevitably going to come across as condesencending, ill-informed, or flat-out racist.

Want to know why Toni Morrison said Bill Clinton was the first black president? Because he is the only white public person who could seemingly talk about race and not look like an idiot. Ted Kennedy could do it too, in fairness, though he always came across patrician. But he seemed patrician all the time so it was okay.

Anyone remember the Ross Perot "you people" moment at the 1992 NAACP convention? That kind of thing happens all the time when even supposedly smart white people try to talk about this issue. They are going to doing fine and then suddenly there is some weird sidebar into hoodies or tattoos and we are off to the races.

The only people who can talk about this stuff publicly and not embarass themselve are Bill Clinton and - for reasons the defy all logic - Bono.

And white men with shaved heads and tattoos.

But as Tony Kornheiser's intern (of all people) pointed out on PTI last night, Cuban generalized all black people and while being very specific about white people.

The black person could be the valedictorian at Sidwell Friends wearing a school sweatshirt and Cuban is running for his life. The white person needs to look a very specific way.

And, yes, I assume a white guy with tattoos and a shaved head could be valedictorian at Sidwell Friends too. But what Cuban was basically saying is that he is afraid of black people and white people who look like bikers.

So...I and most of the white posters on this board are free to approach Mark Cuban. Black guys...check your wardrobe first.

By the way, the biggest sin Cuban committed here is implying that he totally gets why Trayvon Martin was killed. That image of the black men in a hoodie is little raw these days.

But as Tony Kornheiser's intern (of all people) pointed out on PTI last night, Cuban generalized all black people and while being very specific about white people.

No, he did not.

Wondering what your third attempt is going to be.

----------

I need somebody to ask Cuban what would he do if he saw a half-black/half-white person with a bald head and tattoos with a hoodie on? Would he just hand the man his wallet and run away screaming like a little girl?

Is he black on the left side, or the right side?

Battlefield.jpeg

QUOTE: "But what Cuban was basically saying is that he is afraid of black people and white people who look like bikers."

He said specifically black people in hoodies.

I stated, if they are wearing a hoodie, how do you know they are black.  The point is he's hitting on a stereotype. Skinhead whites, blacks in hoodies.  I've pointed out as well, white kids wear hoodies just as much as black kids as well.  

LKB, I usually see your side on most things, even when I don't agree, but I think you're trying too hard to find something here.

He said black guys in hoodies make him nervous. Who knows if that was hyperbole or he just said that based on news stories and went with it. The point, in my opinion, had nothing to do with color, tattoos, hairstyles or wardrobe but rather an instinctive prejudice.

Even if it was literal, I am a white guy with a shaved head, and if I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt you could see tattoos. Should I look too far into it and feel offended? Or take it for what it was?

I think what a lot of white ppl miss is that us blacks are just as prejudiced as anyone towards our own race.

And that opens up an ever bigger can of awkwardness and hypocritical-ness.

I see a black dude in a hoodie late at night when I'm drunkenly walking home from the bar and I'm doing everything to keep myself safe

99.9 percent of the Drexel alerts we get are " robbery at gun point, black male, hoodie"

And it's weird because it sucks that I have to get profiled because of that but in a weird way, I get it...

Or I don't. That's something I struggle with a lot

I dress pretty "urbanly" when I'm not at the office for co op. Not too many hoodies and no baggy clothes but I've told that I dress like a rapper in this day n age. (I.e. An urban hipster lol)

I think what a lot of white ppl miss is that us blacks are just as prejudiced as anyone towards our own race.

And that opens up an ever bigger can of awkwardness and hypocritical-ness.

I see a black dude in a hoodie late at night when I'm drunkenly walking home from the bar and I'm doing everything to keep myself safe

99.9 percent of the Drexel alerts we get are " robbery at gun point, black male, hoodie"

And it's weird because it sucks that I have to get profiled because of that but in a weird way, I get it...

Or I don't. That's something I struggle with a lot

This. And once again, I think that is what Mark Cuban's main point was. No matter who you are, you're going to be a little prejudice. Even someone with the highest of morals will be prejudice. 

LKB, I usually see your side on most things, even when I don't agree, but I think you're trying too hard to find something here.

He said black guys in hoodies make him nervous. Who knows if that was hyperbole or he just said that based on news stories and went with it. The point, in my opinion, had nothing to do with color, tattoos, hairstyles or wardrobe but rather an instinctive prejudice.

Even if it was literal, I am a white guy with a shaved head, and if I'm wearing a sleeveless shirt you could see tattoos. Should I look too far into it and feel offended? Or take it for what it was?

If you mix a bunch of stuff, I too could be deemed dangerous...a middle-aged tattooed white woman...in a Redskins (obviously offensive) hoodie.

Seriously. What he said was true. We all have our little idiosyncrasies.

He just didn't need to say it out loud. I am learning to keep the obvious to myself, especially when we're walking the line of having our team re-named. His team is the Mavericks, and PETA could come for him next, (and as Dan has seen, money won't buy you out of a buttload of opinionated people who don't know what they're talking about.) You can be fought tooth & nail by idiots. And the shame is that idiots sometimes win.

my 12 year old (65 pound, elfin...) daughter wears a hoodie 100% of the time that we will let her 

... but people SHOULD be afraid.  very afraid.

good for you letting her strike fear into the hearts of men. My husband is waaaayyy more afraid of me than I'll ever be of him!

Archived